Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-19-2012   #1
Grforces
Veteran

Section: anywhere and everywhere
Rep Power: 67 Grforces is a quality contributor and well respectedGrforces is a quality contributor and well respectedGrforces is a quality contributor and well respectedGrforces is a quality contributor and well respectedGrforces is a quality contributor and well respectedGrforces is a quality contributor and well respectedGrforces is a quality contributor and well respectedGrforces is a quality contributor and well respectedGrforces is a quality contributor and well respectedGrforces is a quality contributor and well respectedGrforces is a quality contributor and well respected
Default NFL.COM Best Running backs

Its funny that we did not know who Foster was a couple of years ago. Now alot of people have him as the number 1 in the league. It just shows how much recognition the Texans have got the last 2 years, and how many people respect all aspects of his game.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...content_stream
Grforces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012   #2
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90177 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: NFL.COM Best Running backs

Arian is the best all round RB in the league. AP is a better power runner but doesnt do much in the pass game. Same with MJD.
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012   #3
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Yep. Arian is more complete RB than others. Doesn't make much mistake and able to maximize yards whenever he touches football.

Go Arian!!!
Go Texans!!!
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012   #4
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 89407 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post
Arian is the best all round RB in the league. AP is a better power runner but doesnt do much in the pass game. Same with MJD.
Mjd is one of the best all purpose backs in the league.
Old 05-19-2012   #5
Lucky

Rep Power: 132950 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

The NFL.com voting went:
Foster - 4
McCoy - 3
Rice - 2
Forte - 1 (Casserly. Does that even count?)

That's the order I would put them in, as well. Foster is the back without a hole in his game. He's the best blocker, and the best receiver out of this bunch. His speed rivals McCoy's. His power equals Forte and Rice. Foster's competition as best RB would be a healthy Adrian Peterson.
Old 05-19-2012   #6
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 89407 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
(Casserly. Does that even count?)
No.
Old 05-19-2012   #7
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 262563 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

There's one thing that Foster does better than anyone in the league, imo. It's a skill that amazes me at times, one he takes quiet pride in...
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-19-2012   #8
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 218535 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Foster rocks, and he all ours.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012   #9
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 68059 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Arian is in the top 3. The one guy compared him to Eric Dickerson, and I have been saying that since 2010. His upright running style, down to the way he makes his cuts.

Looking at some of the reader's comments...

Everyone thinks their RB is the best. That's a homer/fanatic for you though. I cant say I haven't been guilty of the same thing.

Some of them, just crack me up though. Fred Jackson?

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
WINTERFELL - BECAUSE STANNIS PUSHED IT
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012   #10
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54251 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

I've compared Arian Foster to Terrell Davis for a while now.

Still sticking with it.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012   #11
The Medic01
Veteran

Rep Power: 1875 The Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by False Start View Post
I think Arian is in the top 3. The one guy compared him to Eric Dickerson, and I have been saying that since 2010. His upright running style, down to the way he makes his cuts.

Looking at some of the reader's comments...

Everyone thinks their RB is the best. That's a homer/fanatic for you though. I cant say I haven't been guilty of the same thing.

Some of them, just crack me up though. Fred Jackson?
I know usually I try to argue but I'm done with that. I know what they will say
Ravens fans will say:rice because of what he does in the passing game and his consistency
Eagles :McCoy because of touchdowns and speed
Bears:Forte for god knows why
Vikings:Peterson (I can't argue this guy is the best)
I will say Foster is a power runner elusive fast has amazing vision and is an amazing pass blocker. Then they say
"oh the ZBS inflates his numbers" then I will respond "Then how come nobody else we had did good".
/rant over
The Medic01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012   #12
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

I see a lot of devil's advocate in the article, particularly by Casserly. They encouraged their writers to make sure they made different choices to create a debate, a la PTI/Around the Horn. I do think Arian having the most supporters was not a coincidence though
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012   #13
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 14086 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Medic01 View Post
I know usually I try to argue but I'm done with that. I know what they will say
Ravens fans will say:rice because of what he does in the passing game and his consistency
Eagles :McCoy because of touchdowns and speed
Bears:Forte for god knows why
Vikings:Peterson (I can't argue this guy is the best)
I will say Foster is a power runner elusive fast has amazing vision and is an amazing pass blocker. Then they say
"oh the ZBS inflates his numbers" then I will respond "Then how come nobody else we had did good".
/rant over

Forte is one of the best in the league, easily. I compare his skills to Foster in alot of ways but don't think he is as good of a pure runner. McCoy is very good but i don't think he is anything higher than 5th best at this point but he's still only 23.
Old 05-19-2012   #14
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Forte is great and all but Arian Foster is worth 20 Fortes in the Red Zone.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012   #15
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Forte is one of the best in the league, easily. I compare his skills to Foster in alot of ways but don't think he is as good of a pure runner.
That gives too much credit to Forte IMO. Good solid runner who is also a receiving threat. He's a Domanick Davis. Compare this - Forte in 4 years, 29 total TD's. Foster the last 2 years, 32 TD's. Heck DD had 28 TD's in three partial seasons on a crap football team.
Old 05-19-2012   #16
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1298 281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
His speed rivals McCoy's.
this couldn't be further from the truth... mccoy is much faster than arian. that being said, i'd still take arian over mccoy any day since speed isn't everything.

-Ben Franklin
281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012   #17
Lucky

Rep Power: 132950 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 281 View Post
this couldn't be further from the truth... mccoy is much faster than arian.
Really? Have they run 40's side by side? When was the last time Arian was caught from behind? Foster has 9 40+ yard plays over the past two seasons to McCoy's 8. I say they're very comparable.
Old 05-19-2012   #18
DownByContact
Homer

Rep Power: 0 DownByContact is a quality contributor and well respectedDownByContact is a quality contributor and well respectedDownByContact is a quality contributor and well respectedDownByContact is a quality contributor and well respectedDownByContact is a quality contributor and well respectedDownByContact is a quality contributor and well respectedDownByContact is a quality contributor and well respectedDownByContact is a quality contributor and well respectedDownByContact is a quality contributor and well respectedDownByContact is a quality contributor and well respectedDownByContact is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
There's one thing that Foster does better than anyone in the league, imo. It's a skill that amazes me at times, one he takes quiet pride in...
Poetry?
DownByContact is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012   #19
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 217648 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 281 View Post
this couldn't be further from the truth... mccoy is much faster than arian. that being said, i'd still take arian over mccoy any day since speed isn't everything.
There's track speed and there's game speed.

There is NO WAY Arian Foster is a 4.7 40 guy. I had read somewhere that he was nursing an injured hamstring at the Combine but his Pro-Day 40 was in that same range.

But in game situations, he runs away from people. He ran away from the Buccs defensive backs, he ran away from the Titans defensive backs. I can't recall a time where he's reached the open field and been able to get going where someone has caught him from behind.

And that's the real test of a guy's speed.

Terrell Davis was the same way. A 4.6 guy on the track but he always seemed faster than everyone chasing him once he hit an opening.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012   #20
otisbean
All Pro

Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
There's track speed and there's game speed.

There is NO WAY Arian Foster is a 4.7 40 guy. I had read somewhere that he was nursing an injured hamstring at the Combine but his Pro-Day 40 was in that same range.

But in game situations, he runs away from people. He ran away from the Buccs defensive backs, he ran away from the Titans defensive backs. I can't recall a time where he's reached the open field and been able to get going where someone has caught him from behind.

And that's the real test of a guy's speed.

Terrell Davis was the same way. A 4.6 guy on the track but he always seemed faster than everyone chasing him once he hit an opening.
I remember reading about Arian having a hamstring issue as well. If it was tweaked at the combine, I would bet it was still an issue at his pro day. Hammys can be quite pesky. Watching him run on film, I would guess that Arian would be a 4.5 guy.

On of the tricky things with the 40 is the start, it's impossible to run a good time with a bad start. Guys that look fast on film but run slower times on the track probably had an issue with this. If you watch Kendall Wright this year at the combine on both his 40s he got a weird start, it almost looked like he slightly stumbled coming out of his 3 pt stance. As a result, his times were surprisingly slow.
otisbean is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read