Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-18-2012   #1
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Rick Smith on Sirius NFL Radio Moving The Chains

He was on yesterday afternoon. What I like about Sirius NFL Radio Moving The Chains with Pat Kirwain is that they do a complete run down of the roster when talking about a team. I mean complete. They talked about the offensive line and practically went all the way down to the reserves and talked about them.

Some tidbits that I got from the interview (Rick Smith sounded very positive about our draft but more positive about guys like Brandon Harris and Roc Carmichael).

OL - They feel the guys they got in the draft could challenged for starting spots, especially the guard we picked up in the 3rd round, Brandon Brooks basically stating that his speed as a big man could be beneficial for him.

WR - He is encouraged by the work LeStar Jean has put in to challenge Walter for the #2 spot and Posey has already shown the accurate route running that he was drafted for, and then he said that Keyshawn Martin has already begun to impress coaches with his explosiveness off the line and his ability to make tough catches (I personally saw some tape on this guy and I couldn't resist thinking of Ernest Givins).

DBs - They liked the guys they already drafted with Brandon Harris and Roc Carmichael, they felt that out of all the CBs they had, that McCain made the most improvement and he really likes Carmichael's chances of stepping up and being a real contributor for our team. I kinda got the impression that Kareem Jackson is needing to look over his shoulder because there was no mention of him at all. Everyone but Jackson.

He said that The Texans were fortunate enough to have only one real casualty by switching to 3-4 defense and unfortunately that casualty was Demeco Ryans whose production declined as a result of the system. They said they did what was best for the team and best for Demeco by allowing him to go to a 4-3 defense where he would shine and could potentially make an all-pro career for himself.

He also talked about Mercilus and how he liked that Mercilus had a body of work in a 4 year college career. And when he got to Crick, he spoke of getting guys that would fit the club with the passion for football mentality that our current team has, guys that would put in higher than expectations type work and Crick fits that mold with the likes of Watt, Cushing, etc....

Last edited by El Tejano; 05-18-2012 at 08:57 AM.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012   #2
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rick Smith on Sirius NFL Radio Moving The Chains

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
He also talked about Mercilus and how he liked that Mercilus had a body of work in a 4 year college career. And when he got to Crick, he spoke of getting guys that would fit the club with the passion for football mentality that our current team has, guys that would put in higher than expectations type work and Crick fits that mold with the likes of Watt, Cushing, etc....

rep.. dunno if you got that part right though cos mercilus has the one yr wonder tag on him.. maybe he was talking bout cricks 4 yrs??
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012   #3
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

rep you as well. sure distanced themselves from Mario quickly (last offseason all the talk about him fitting in @ OLB)

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012   #4
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 262563 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Is there a podcast of this anywhere?
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012   #5
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He was on yesterday afternoon. What I like about Sirius NFL Radio Moving The Chains with Pat Kirwain is that they do a complete run down of the roster when talking about a team. I mean complete. They talked about the offensive line and practically went all the way down to the reserves and talked about them.

Some tidbits that I got from the interview (Rick Smith sounded very positive about our draft but more positive about guys like Brandon Harris and Roc Carmichael).

OL - They feel the guys they got in the draft could challenged for starting spots, especially the guard we picked up in the 3rd round, Brandon Brooks basically stating that his speed as a big man could be beneficial for him.

WR - He is encouraged by the work LeStar Jean has put in to challenge Walter for the #2 spot and Posey has already shown the accurate route running that he was drafted for, and then he said that Keyshawn Martin has already begun to impress coaches with his explosiveness off the line and his ability to make tough catches (I personally saw some tape on this guy and I couldn't resist thinking of Ernest Givins).
I could see them inserting him in the O-line for a goal line push to get a TD, but I would be surprised if he ended being the starter this soon. I think with Caldwell and Wade Smith they have the best chance at maintaining continuity in the line, and I think Brooks, who has a tremendous upside, is still too raw and will probably need a year in the system to hone his skill. But, you never know.

Good to hear LeStar is pushing for the #2 spot and that Martin and Posey are impressing the coaches. I'm looking forward to a good camp and a good season from these 3.
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012   #6
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not worried about our receiving corp; I really, really like this young group of receivers.

Can't wait for the season to start!
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012   #7
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33836 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

A healthy Schaub is the key to this season.
Sponsored links
Old 05-18-2012   #8
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90177 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
A healthy Schaub is the key to this season.
According to Marshall Faulk TJ will be the starter during the season causing a QB controversy and the Texans not even making the playoffs.
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012   #9
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post
According to Marshall Faulk TJ will be the starter during the season causing a QB controversy and the Texans not even making the playoffs.
Barring a health reason there is no question on the starting QB.
Old 05-18-2012   #10
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33836 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected

Matt is the most important player on the team IMHO.
Old 05-18-2012   #11
TheDream34
Veteran

Rep Power: 558 TheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post
Marshall Faulk is the biggest idiot on NFL Network. That's saying something considering they have guys like Warren Sapp, Michael Irvin, and Deion Sanders. (Although Deion does crack me up sometimes)
TheDream34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012   #12
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
rep you as well. sure distanced themselves from Mario quickly (last offseason all the talk about him fitting in @ OLB)
I still to this day think Mario could have been a studly 3-4 DE in Wade's system.

I would have created the following front 7 in pass rushing situations:

------Mario-----Smith--Cody/Mitchell---Watt--------

-Reed--------------Cushing---------------Barwin

All 7 can get to the QB. Where would Wade bring the pressure from? Who knows. It could come from a side, a player or a jail break!

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012   #13
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 16683 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDream34 View Post
Marshall Faulk is the biggest idiot on NFL Network. That's saying something considering they have guys like Warren Sapp, Michael Irvin, and Deion Sanders. (Although Deion does crack me up sometimes)
Faulk is a damn genius compared to Jamie Dukes.
Old 05-18-2012   #14
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaShark316 View Post
OMG this ^^^^^^^.

Jamie Dukes has water on his brain. I wish he would just be on the NBC show The Voice full time instead of doing both.
Old 05-18-2012   #15
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

DBs - They liked the guys they already drafted with Brandon Harris and Roc Carmichael, they felt that out of all the CBs they had, that McCain made the most improvement and he really likes Carmichael's chances of stepping up and being a real contributor for our team. I kinda got the impression that Kareem Jackson is needing to look over his shoulder because there was no mention of him at all. Everyone but Jackson.

He said that The Texans were fortunate enough to have only one real casualty by switching to 3-4 defense and unfortunately that casualty was Demeco Ryans whose production declined as a result of the system. They said they did what was best for the team and best for Demeco by allowing him to go to a 4-3 defense where he would shine and could potentially make an all-pro career for himself.

Now that is just crazy talk, one of my favorite Oilers of all time, let the kid step on the NFL field first. (trying to not get excited )
Old 05-18-2012   #16
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 262563 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaShark316 View Post
No shyte.

I won't watch NFLN because of him. Period.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012   #17
Lucky

Rep Power: 132950 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He also talked about Mercilus and how he liked that Mercilus had a body of work in a 4 year college career.
Mercilus left Illinois after his junior season.
Old 05-18-2012   #18
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Mercilus left Illinois after his junior season.
Why let the facts get in the way of an opinion. LOL
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012   #19
Lucky

Rep Power: 132950 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Why let the facts get in the way of an opinion. LOL
Smith was probably speaking about another player. It's interesting that the last 3 Texans 1st round picks (Jackson, Watt, Marcilus) all came out after their junior seasons.
Old 05-19-2012   #20
gary
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
I still to this day think Mario could have been a studly 3-4 DE in Wade's system.

I would have created the following front 7 in pass rushing situations:

------Mario-----Smith--Cody/Mitchell---Watt--------

-Reed--------------Cushing---------------Barwin

All 7 can get to the QB. Where would Wade bring the pressure from? Who knows. It could come from a side, a player or a jail break!
Just do the same now with Mercilus and Crick.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read