Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-17-2005   #21
Algebrat
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meloy
Seriously, I have to vote against the naysayers. Wand should improve. The blocking scheme seemed to offer some hope at end of season. Wand has the new guy pushing him and adding depth at all oline positions. Carr will probably be using quicker release steps. We have another DD protogee with Morancy that hopefully will keep a fresh back at Carr's disposal. It will be interesting. I think the additions on D side of the ball might help to win games also.
I have to agree. Why replace a guy after one season. Most players' first year in the NFL is a learning experience. Give him a chance to improve. Now...if he struggles this season as much as last, maybe you look at one of those left tackles in the next draft.
Algebrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005   #22
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibar_Harry
When I looked through the comments and pictures I found it interesting there were zero comments concerning the O-line. I mean nothing about Smith or the young Center. There were a number of comments on the other rookies. In fact the O-line comments centered around the recent O-line FA pickup. Interestingly, like everyone said he was in poor shape. I think that is ominous. They showed a picture of the D-line, but not the O-line. Some would say you are reading too much into this 1st workout, but I think not. This is the one continuing weakness and BJ going down means we can not rely on the TE at the present time to fortify the O-line. I will remain adiment that this team goes nowhere without O-line improvement. In fact I feel we will have a much worse season than last year if the O-line is not fixed. I did pick up on the fact they have changed some of their plays, however. One of the reporters, I believe in the Capers interview, refered to that.

Changing the plays or schemes will give you a temporary advantage until people adjust to what you have changed, but in the final analysis you have to do what you do well to be successful in the long run. Our O-line has to learn to block effectively if we are to go anywhere and have a successful season. The same could be said for the D-line.

oh geez just cause they failed to put up a pic, of the MOST UNPOPULAR positions in the NFL you think its cause ours still stinks. Dont get me wrong Ibar i am used to u beign negative but come on. if they hadnt showed a pic of AJ, or Carr, would that mean they now stink to ????? LOL
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005   #23
ojthecat
Veteran

What I haven't heard anyone comment on is how smart IBAR is. HMMM what does that say?
Old 05-17-2005   #24
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojthecat
What I haven't heard anyone comment on is how smart IBAR is. HMMM what does that say?

IQ test anyone ! LOL
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005   #25
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP
Default Finally something said.....

This gives you some input on where they are headed with the O-line.

At least we have an idea of what they are thinking. Looks like McKinny can't be as secure as before and looks like they might be targeting Wiegert. I still think Wiegert is better than most of our O-linemen, but is injury prone. Wade also might be open for discussion. However, its still who is the best 5. Seems like a lot of our players can play a lot of positions, but I'm not certain they do any of them very well. May be that's our problem. At least they are showing some signs of recognizing that the O-line is important. The last comment about AJ, Carr, and DD by Wand was very interesting. What do you guys make of that?
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005   #26
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 226347 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I think he's pointing out that recievers, quarterbacks, and runningbacks all operate to some extent independently while the line requires 5 players (sometimes 6) to operate together.

BFOTO
Old 05-18-2005   #27
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I think he was basically saying that playing on the Oline is more of a team effort than being at one of the skill postions. I do like the fact that we have several other options at the tackle position than most of us realized. It should be nice to see them together after a full year (first time in team history).
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-18-2005   #28
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

I thought the QB and the line as well need to know what each other is going to do and have a feeling on how to adjust when things go sour. I didn't think the QB operated independently of his line. The runner may well change his mind, but he has to also trust the hole will be there. I'm a little perplexed by the statement.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005   #29
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
At least they are showing some signs of recognizing that the O-line is important.
HUH??? So before this article the coaches and staff were thinking the O-Line was not important??? This is the NFL. The coaches are ALWAYS aware of the importance of EVERY position. Its a matter of circumstance as to how they can address them.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005   #30
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey
We can only wonder how good Pitts would have been at LT in 2004.
yeah, but then we'd all be crying because we need a left guard. i think pitts is one of those guys that will be a texan for a long time and will probably play some LT if wand goes down. always good when you have a guy who can play guard and tackle.
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005   #31
Chance_C
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4104 Chance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm a little perplexed by the statement.
You would be.
Old 05-18-2005   #32
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 226347 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I thought the QB and the line as well need to know what each other is going to do and have a feeling on how to adjust when things go sour. I didn't think the QB operated independently of his line. The runner may well change his mind, but he has to also trust the hole will be there. I'm a little perplexed by the statement.
It's simple Ibar. A QB can deviate from the play. A RB and WR can too and often do. Maybe something the defense does makes it necessary or maybe they see something that can be exploited. Either way it happens and it's acceptable for the players at these positions to do this. When a TE goes out to catch a pass the same thing applies. Keep in mind that they can do this but more often than not they don't.

If one lineman goes off on his own and does what he wants to do nothing good comes from that. Think of the linemen (all of them) as "one player". They're 5 guys but they must execute as a single unit.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read