Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-17-2012   #1
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 114714 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Coach Joe says Tricycle Holliday still in mix for KR spot

LINK
Quote:
Texans special teams coordinator Joe Marciano joined “Texans All Access” on Tuesday on SportsRadio 610, giving insightful comments on the competition spots in the special teams unit.
The entire interview is worth a listen — Marciano also discussed the upcoming “First Down Dads” event on June 9 — but here’s a snapshot of what he said:

Kick Returner
Asked about fourth-round draft pick Keshawn Martin’s return skills, Marciano said wide receivers Juaquin Iglesias and Trindon Holliday are also in the mix to return kicks for the Texans in 2012. The “sleeper of the group,” he said, is Davin Meggett, an undrafted rookie running back from Maryland and the son of former Pro Bowl returner Dave Meggett. “When I first got in the league, his dad torched me back in the day,” Marciano said. “His dad was a dynamite returner. He can do both punts and kickoffs.” Marciano said Holliday, one of the fastest players in college football history, “can be a dynamite returner in this league,” adding: “I would hate to play against him. But the thing about him here, he has to make it as a receiver. We don’t have the luxury just to carry an extra guy (solely as a returner).”
Looks like the tiny one will get one last chance to make it here.
Old 05-17-2012   #2
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 53272 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Coach Joe says Tricycle Holliday still in mix for KR spot

Why not? He is under contract still. He has game changing speed. If he does not produce, then cut him. But give him OTAs and TC to prove if he can play or not.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012   #3
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50776 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Year 3 of this project.

This is what I mean when I say "If you just find a way to stick on the PS or roster...Gary will give you roughly 3 or even 4 years to hang around and develop."

I understand it's not costing the team much of anything to keep him around, but does anybody really think he's going to suddenly catch fire and make noise I'm his third year?

I'd like to see guys like him get 2 years max. After that, clear out the clutter and sign new guys to have their 2-year chance at making the team. I guess the only thing, though, is how that would affect cap space.
Old 05-17-2012   #4
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 143551 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Year 3 of this project.

This is what I mean when I say "If you just find a way to stick on the PS or roster...Gary will give you roughly 3 or even 4 years to hang around and develop."

I understand it's not costing the team much of anything to keep him around, but does anybody really think he's going to suddenly catch fire and make noise I'm his third year?

I'd like to see guys like him get 2 years max. After that, clear out the clutter and sign new guys to have their 2-year chance at making the team. I guess the only thing, though, is how that would affect cap space.
Some times guys take a while to develop. I'm not too worried about trying to develop a couple of guys here and there on the PS (like Nading , Jamison, and Bulman, etc.) and giving them multiple chances to make the team. It's not like we've got a platoon of guys who've been on the PS for 4 years at the expense of no newer, younger PS guys.

Most guys only last a year or two before they're gone: Zabransky, Brink, Dickerson, Abbate, etc. You're only noticing Holliday because he's been around awhile and most guys don't last that long.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012   #5
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15762 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

No way this guy makes the team this year with all the new wrs the Texans added in the draft. Keyshawn Martin alone will end Holiday's career here. I never saw much of anything from this guy. As much as I grew to dislike Jacoby after each passing year he still was better than this guy.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012   #6
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 18937 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey View Post
No way this guy makes the team this year with all the new wrs the Texans added in the draft. Keyshawn Martin alone will end Holiday's career here. I never saw much of anything from this guy. As much as I grew to dislike Jacoby after each passing year he still was better than this guy.

How do you know that? He never got a chance on the field.
Old 05-17-2012   #7
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Year 3 of this project.

His first year he was hurt and went on ir.

Last year he played limited snaps in pre season, but I believe he had one catch in a two minute drill situation. Last year was his first real football year. He spent time on the practice squad, was called up for a game or two, didn't get the chance to field any kicks and was sent back down.

I want the best team possible. Trindon has something that nobody else on the team has and maybe not many people in the league....world class speed. And he's not just a track guy. He is a football player and he loves the game.

If trindon gets the opportunity and provides us with big play capability then great. If he doesnt, we cut him and move on. No biggie. (no pun intended)
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-17-2012   #8
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 143551 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Last year was his first real football year. He spent time on the practice squad, was called up for a game or two, didn't get the chance to field any kicks and was sent back down.
He "fielded" kicks but they were touchbacks and fair catches. He was back there for some kick returns and some punt returns against the Titans.

But then someone was hurt and we needed to his spot and cut him.

At this point, he's kind of a luxury we haven't been able to afford.

EDIT: "Some" might have been too strong a term. I saw him out there for at least 1 each in the first Titans game.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012   #9
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

He was waste of capspace, cut the cord already.

Last edited by Dutchrudder; 05-17-2012 at 05:00 PM.
Dutchrudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012   #10
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87576 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
LINK

Looks like the tiny one will get one last chance to make it here.
we have luxury to carry a LS to do just one thing and I'd argur returns is pretty dang significant.
Old 05-17-2012   #11
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 156181 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

If he can play up to his potential, it will have been worth the wait. I don't see it happening though.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012   #12
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
He was waste of capspace, cut the cord already.
And you've got a suggestion for a better, cheaper 6th WR/backup kick returner?

My thing with Holliday is find a way to maximize his abilities rather than peg him into a hole he may struggle in. Such as receiving. If he can't catch, hand him the ball. Don't tell me a DL or LBer is going to beat him to the edge on a stretch play. I'm not saying he didn't need practice squad time, I'm saying play to his strengths.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012   #13
SCOTTexans
Veteran

Rep Power: 3792 SCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respected

May the best man win. He is cheap competition for Martin and has potential
SCOTTexans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012   #14
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
He "fielded" kicks but they were touchbacks and fair catches. He was back there for some kick returns and some punt returns against the Titans.

But then someone was hurt and we needed to his spot and cut him.

At this point, he's kind of a luxury we haven't been able to afford.

EDIT: "Some" might have been too strong a term. I saw him out there for at least 1 each in the first Titans game.
I don't view him as a luxury. Either he's helping the team with big kick returns or he's not. If he's not, he's not making the team, period.

We're not keeping him for his wr skills. He has to provide tremendous value as a return man and if he does that I think we'll find a way to keep him.

Trindon hasn't been kept around these few years in hopes that he'll develop into some dynamic receiver. Sure he needs to provide some value there but I don't view him as a luxury. I view him as any other player. Youre either good enough at what you do in order to justify a roster spit or not.

In his case I believe he'll have to be the primary punt and kick returnee and do both very well.
Old 05-17-2012   #15
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post

My thing with Holliday is find a way to maximize his abilities rather than peg him into a hole he may struggle in. Such as receiving. If he can't catch, hand him the ball. Don't tell me a DL or LBer is going to beat him to the edge on a stretch play. I'm not saying he didn't need practice squad time, I'm saying play to his strengths.
A lb can get to the edge first easily. Technique and angles will help with that. It helps to have speed when talking about getting to the sidelines, but speed isn't the only factor and lots of fast guys struggle to get to the edges.

All that said, if trindon isn't providing value on returns he's not making it for his offensive capabilities.
Old 05-17-2012   #16
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10331 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Martin was brought in primarily as a KR/PR that has some good WR skills, and since they cut Jacoby, I think it will be his job to lose. This will make it tough for Holliday to make the team IMO.
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012   #17
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50776 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Maehl.

He's actually a WR whereas Holliday is not.
Old 05-17-2012   #18
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
A lb can get to the edge first easily. Technique and angles will help with that. It helps to have speed when talking about getting to the sidelines, but speed isn't the only factor and lots of fast guys struggle to get to the edges.

All that said, if trindon isn't providing value on returns he's not making it for his offensive capabilities.
True. You have to be playing disciplined angles to keep Holliday's kind of speed in check though, especially if he's coming out of the backfield where you probably can't see him after the snap.

Quote:
Maehl.

He's actually a WR whereas Holliday is not.
Holliday is a bubble player. He probably isn't going to make the final cut unless he does something special. I think fans fell in love with him coming out of college, getting drafted for being crazy fast and were a little too disappointed when he didn't make much noise. They could do a LOT worse for a 6th or 7th best WR who probably makes the P squad again.

Jeff Maehl is a bubble player too. We're really talkin Psquad receivers? LOL....good night y'all.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012   #19
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 114714 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
we have luxury to carry a LS to do just one thing and I'd argur returns is pretty dang significant.
I think the LS spot is a specialty position like the punter. Both are on the squad to do their one, single thing and do it flawlessly. Unless Holliday is a major threat to break a long one whenever the touches the ball - and Coach Joe kinda hinted he is - then he has a spot; otherwise has to contribute in some other fashion like WR or change-of-pace RB.

Hands from everyone who shutters at the thought of Holliday at RB and needing to pick up a blitzing LB....

[Schaub raises hand]
[Yates raises hand]
[Kubiak turns away... not wanting to look]
Old 05-17-2012   #20
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 11679 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

Quote:
Jeff Maehl is a bubble player too. We're really talkin Psquad receivers? LOL....good night y'all.
Guess you haven't been hearing all the hooplah about LeStar Jean recently. It's the offseason at its finest.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read