Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-14-2012   #21
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Surprise cut or trade this season?

I'm with IDEXAN on this.... if I had to project one surprise cut it'd be one of the starting guards.

Caldwell's been a disappointment, but I am not exactly sure it's completely his fault, I think he's been playing out of position. Myers finally stepped up and cemented himself as the unquestioned starter. Of course I think part of this is due to much improved guard play since Smith arrived.

Long term, I think CK is right though. Matt Schaub, unless he can prove he can start the season healthy is likely done as the starter, honestly it's likely he's done being a full time starter league wide. You just can't rely on his ability to stay healthy. 6 years here and only 2 fully healthy ones. That's not what you need in a franchise guy. I like Matt, but he's turning into Chris Chandler. When healthy he's capable of taking a a team deep into the playoffs, but you just can't count on him to be healthy.

Far as where he could land? I think Kolb has this next year to prove he can cut it in AZ, specially now that they have Fitz and added Floyd. I don't think we'll be able to get much on a trade with him, if we got a third I'd be ecstatic, but realistically he'd be a stop gap starter most likely.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012   #22
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Surpise cuts:

Rashad Butler - Saves 1.25 million this year.

Shaun Cody - Saves 2 million this year.

Those are the only two that I think may happen. I think Cody is the most likely to be cut, and I think Butler may not be worth the money over Newton, Brooks, or whoever they decide to put at RT.
Old 05-14-2012   #23
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 416490 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhouston View Post
Many will be surprised when we move Schaub, I wont, but many of you will.
Everyone gets it. You have an irrational dislike for Schaub.
Old 05-14-2012   #24
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 121746 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Everyone gets it. You have an irrational dislike for Schaub.
But it's okay, because we're going to get Peyton to come in and play for us next season by giving him a low risk, incentive based contract.

Oh wait, no we're not (and neither are the Denver Broncos).
Old 05-14-2012   #25
BetaV1
Veteran

Rep Power: 3509 BetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhouston View Post
If he shows by mid-season that he can still take the field, and another team has a QB go down, we may be able to get a fourth or fifth for him. Nothing BB about this guys last grasp at glory in the league, IMHO. He may turn out to be a serviceable starter for a desperate team needing to finish the season or groom a young gun, otherwise he should be a back-up until he retires, if he can play again at all.
A fourth or fifth rounder for a guy for has thrown for consecutive 4,000+ yard seasons, who was on his way to a likely third, who is consistently one of the most accurate quarterbacks in the league, who is younger than Drew Brees and Tony Romo, AND under your scenario, shows he can still take the field?

I've said it before and I'll say it again, this franchise has the most out-of-whack quarterback standards out of any other team in the league.

-Credit to False Start for this signature-
BetaV1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012   #26
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetaV1 View Post
A fourth or fifth rounder for a guy for has thrown for consecutive 4,000+ yard seasons, who was on his way to a likely third, who is consistently one of the most accurate quarterbacks in the league, who is younger than Drew Brees and Tony Romo, AND under your scenario, shows he can still take the field?

I've said it before and I'll say it again, this franchise has the most out-of-whack quarterback standards out of any other team in the league.

Yes, a fourth or fifth rounder for a guy who has thrown for consecutive 4,000 yard seasons, <begin "but he woulda" type comments>....

Schaub misses any significant time this season (be it at the beginning if he can't go right away or at the end if he gets hurt again) and he will basically have a record here of two hurt years for every complete one.

That's Chris Chandler territory. That's called "injury prone".

Having said that I think he'll be ready to play in week one. I'm not a Schaub fan nor am I a Schaub hater. I think he's good enough but I also think that an upgrade can be found. Basically in my opinion Matt's so good that you don't need to go find a starting QB but he's hurt so much that you should be doing your due dillegence at all times. I think Kubiak does that. He's been turning over rocks looking for our next (bargain) starting QB for years. Not because he's in a hurry to replace Schaub but because he knows that in any given season Albert Haynesworth or someone like him could force the issue.

He'll be ready for week one. That won't surprise me. If he starts 16 games for us that will surprise me.
Old 05-14-2012   #27
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 392068 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
What Texan vet or rookie would be a surprise cut or trade?
I'd have to be there. Interesting today Merrill Hoge and Mark Schlereth both said they'd know which rookies would make it, which wouldn't in just a few days -- said it's quickly obvious.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-14-2012   #28
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 198627 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Yes, a fourth or fifth rounder for a guy who has thrown for consecutive 4,000 yard seasons, <begin "but he woulda" type comments>....

Schaub misses any significant time this season (be it at the beginning if he can't go right away or at the end if he gets hurt again) and he will basically have a record here of two hurt years for every complete one.

Having said that I think he'll be ready to play in week one. I'm not a Schaub fan nor am I a Schaub hater. I think he's good enough but I also think that an upgrade can be found. Basically in my opinion Matt's so good that you don't need to go find a starting QB but he's hurt so much that you should be doing your due dillegence at all times. I think Kubiak does that. He's been turning over rocks looking for our next (bargain) starting QB for years. Not because he's in a hurry to replace Schaub but because he knows that in any given season Albert Haynesworth or someone like him could force the issue.

He'll be ready for week one. That won't surprise me. If he starts 16 games for us that will surprise me.
Same for Andre Johnson, right?
Old 05-14-2012   #29
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 198627 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
I'd have to be there. Interesting today Merrill Hoge and Mark Schlereth both said they'd know which rookies would make it, which wouldn't in just a few days -- said it's quickly obvious.
Well get back with that info when you know....
Old 05-15-2012   #30
BSofA04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 304 BSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respected

Kevin Walter would be a surprising but justifiable cut. Anyone of the rookies or 2nd year players start making plays, Walter could be cut. I know his blocking skills are what keep his lack of production tolerable, but eventually he wont live up to his contract. This year could be that year, but if I was betting I'd put my money on 2013.
Old 05-15-2012   #31
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Surpise cuts:

Rashad Butler - Saves 1.25 million this year.

Shaun Cody - Saves 2 million this year.

Those are the only two that I think may happen. I think Cody is the most likely to be cut, and I think Butler may not be worth the money over Newton, Brooks, or whoever they decide to put at RT.
If it's a trade Butler has more worth. If it's a straight out cut then Cody.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012   #32
Lucky

Rep Power: 218553 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

None. The surprises (Ryans and Winston) have already occurred.

Last edited by Lucky; 05-15-2012 at 07:10 AM.
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012   #33
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 43787 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
None. The surprises (Ryan and Winston) have already occurred.
This! ^^^

I'm pretty sure we're done with the surprise cuts.

But I'm going to play along anyways. IMO, there is no way we're cutting Walter or one of the starters on the OL. We're already thin at those positions, so it makes no sense what so ever cutting more vets at those positions. Especially since none of them are making big bucks.

So to play along, my surprise cut would be Antonio Smith. He's making 5.5 mil, and the addition of Mercilus makes him somewhat expendable.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012   #34
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post

Much better summarized than I have. I am glad someone got the Chandler reference because honestly, its the territory he's moving into.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012   #35
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected

Biggest surprise would be to cut or trade AJ. I just hope I am not giving that statement power by saying it.
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012   #36
otisbean
All Pro

Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't see Schaub as injury prone. His last 2 injuries were Jared Allen diving into his knee (an illegal and dirty play) and a 300+lb fatty landing on his foot. Anyone could suffer the same injuries in those situations. Injury prone, in my mind, are describes guys that have chronic muscle strain issues, chronic concussions, back issues ect ...

I would consider MW more injury prone than Schaub, heck AJ may have more issues than Schaub going forward. Contact injuries to joints can happen to anyone.

Also, if you're trading Schaub you'd get waaaay more than a 4 or 5. Hell Plamer pulled multi first rounders. At this point Schaub is the superior QB
otisbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012   #37
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
Duane Brown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I was surprised they cut Jacoby
The only surprise was that he wasn't cut January 15th.......... Before the flight back to Houston.
Old 05-15-2012   #38
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12237 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Can't trade him once his contract is up.
Didn't say trade. If he can't play the way he use to, due to his injury, they will just let him go.
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012   #39
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

None of the veteran OL are in danger. We need all of 'em since the departure of Winston and Brisiel.

Walter is not in danger. Kubiak values him as a veteran WR who has reliable hands and blocks in the run game. Plus, never let it slip from your mind that Walter caught the game winning pass vs. Bengals in a clutch moment on the road. That cements his value as a WR who can be trusted in big games.

Truth is, we're skinny at every position. Ryans, Dreessen, Jacoby, Winston, Brisiel, Mario, and Allen represent 5 different positions on our team that require a depth chart "up flow" and then 3rd stringers who now become 2nd stringers.

I don't see any surprise cuts. Like its been said, the surprise cuts/departures have already happened. Now it's a deal of figuring out depth chart slots.

This is the safest year for Texans players because of how much Gary values continuity and how it connects with all the key players who left us. If you just do your job, you make the roster. Because the herd has already been thinned out ahead of time.
Old 05-15-2012   #40
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 ckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
irrational dislike
Which is why people agree with me. Lots of us irrational folks out there it seems.
ckhouston is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read