Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-14-2012   #1
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 149849 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Surprise cut or trade this season?

I had 610 on radio just now and they had interesting (I thought) question. What Texan vet or rookie would be a surprise cut or trade? They ruled out Jamison and Holliday but Vandermeer suggested an Olineman. We saw what happened in off season & as Texans get better we will see more of this.
Old 05-14-2012   #2
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Surprise cut or trade this season?

I think we've had enough surprise trade/cuts this off season (Ryans/Winston) for me, but if there is another one, and it comes from the O-line, I think it could be Wade Smith. But, the only way I see this happening is for either Shelley Smith or Brandon Brooks to play so well in the pre-season that the Texans feel they can let him go.
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012   #3
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Duane Brown.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012   #4
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I doubt any more surprising cuts happen but if I had to choose I'd go Kevin Walter or one of the guards.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012   #5
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I was surprised they cut Jacoby
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012   #6
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 ckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respected

Many will be surprised when we move Schaub, I wont, but many of you will.
ckhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012   #7
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 149849 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhouston View Post
If you are talking trade, can you please post some scenarios? That would be blockbuster and might lead to longest TT thread ever. Depending on offer I would be open.
Old 05-14-2012   #8
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
How do you see that situation playing out?

I'd imagine he'd have to play and show he's healthy first.

And if he does that why wouldn't we keep him?

Jacksonville might be the only team in the NFL that would trade for schaub without showing he's fully recovered.
Old 05-14-2012   #9
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 17572 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

I was thinking maybe OD until we completely ignored the TE position this offseason, so he should be safe.
Old 05-14-2012   #10
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 ckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
If you are talking trade, can you please post some scenarios? That would be blockbuster and might lead to longest TT thread ever. Depending on offer I would be open.
If he shows by mid-season that he can still take the field, and another team has a QB go down, we may be able to get a fourth or fifth for him. Nothing BB about this guys last grasp at glory in the league, IMHO. He may turn out to be a serviceable starter for a desperate team needing to finish the season or groom a young gun, otherwise he should be a back-up until he retires, if he can play again at all.
Old 05-14-2012   #11
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
By the time he shows he can take the field again, if that ever happens, he wont be 100%, and TJ will have already earned the starters role. IMHO. We wont pay the money he will try and demand based on his two good years he posted in his career. Someone may pay it, but their name wont be Bob McNair.
Old 05-14-2012   #12
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 73433 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I had 610 on radio just now and they had interesting (I thought) question. What Texan vet or rookie would be a surprise cut or trade? They ruled out Jamison and Holliday but Vandermeer suggested an Olineman. We saw what happened in off season & as Texans get better we will see more of this.
I cant see any way that Jamison would be cut. The dude makes plays. Not sure why they would lump him in with Holliday.

Surprise move. Antonio Smith. High salary plus Crick in draft.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012   #13
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
I cant see any way that Jamison would be cut. The dude makes plays. Not sure why they would lump him in with Holliday.

Surprise move. Antonio Smith. High salary plus Crick in draft.
That's a good one.
Old 05-14-2012   #14
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 288146 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012   #15
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
By the time he shows he can take the field again, if that ever happens, he wont be 100%, and TJ will have already earned the starters role. IMHO. We wont pay the money he will try and demand based on his two good years he posted in his career. Someone may pay it, but their name wont be Bob McNair.
To be honest I don't see us paying schaub big bucks. No matter how someone slices it, his health is a concern.
Old 05-14-2012   #16
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
How do you see that situation playing out?

I'd imagine he'd have to play and show he's healthy first.

Jacksonville might be the only team in the NFL that would trade for schaub without showing he's fully recovered.
Would not the Schaub scenario be very similar to Mario except that Matt still has one year left? There supposedly were suitors for Williams beside Buffalo. I think at certain positions and QB is one of course, teams will take chances. I do kow that Mario was farther along in his healing and differnet types of injuries.
Old 05-14-2012   #17
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't see this happening this year. Now next year when he's up for a big contract, that's a different story. And, a lot will depend on how he plays this year and if he stays healthy or not. If he's not healthy or has a bad year, we could be looking at drafting a QB next year in the 1st round.
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012   #18
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Would not the Schaub scenario be very similar to Mario except that Matt still has one year left? There supposedly were suitors for Williams beside Buffalo. I think at certain positions and QB is one of course, teams will take chances. I do kow that Mario was farther along in his healing and differnet types of injuries.
Pec vs foot as you mentioned.

Age, perceived value. Also, teams can use multiple de's. You really only want to use 1 qb. A lot of teams have heavily invested into that position already and they have guys they believe can be starting qb's.

It'd be more similar to Peyton than Mario. Biggest difference there though would be risk vs reward.
Old 05-14-2012   #19
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
I don't see this happening this year. Now next year when he's up for a big contract, that's a different story. And, a lot will depend on how he plays this year and if he stays healthy or not. If he's not healthy or has a bad year, we could be looking at drafting a QB next year in the 1st round.
Can't trade him once his contract is up.
Old 05-14-2012   #20
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
I think we've had enough surprise trade/cuts this off season (Ryans/Winston) for me, but if there is another one, and it comes from the O-line, I think it could be Wade Smith. But, the only way I see this happening is for either Shelley Smith or Brandon Brooks to play so well in the pre-season that the Texans feel they can let him go.
Cutting the third starting lineman from last years starting Oline in the person of one Wade Smith would indeed be a big surprise.
What I think is very possible is cutting the projected starter for this season at RG, Antoine Caldwell. They've drafted 2 players this year using mid round picks who could play that position, and then they've got another young guard in Shelly Smith coming back who will compete for snaps at the guard position.
And Caldwell has basically been a disappointment for the Texans.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read