Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-18-2005   #161
TexAntagonise
Rookie

Send a message via AIM to TexAntagonise Send a message via MSN to TexAntagonise

I see no reason to cut him. Unless McNair is going on vacation and needs a little "Mad Money." As far as Joppru coming back next season and making an impact? I'm sorry but I don't see it. Depending on how severe the tear is it usually takes a year to recover. Then they say it take another season before you are back to where you were before the tear. I see the Texans going after another TE in next years draft and Joppru never setting foot on the field, in a Texans uniform.

I also see the Texans signing of M.Rivers as a sign that they never expected much out of Joppru this season. If They expected something big from him they would have went after an impact TE (i.e. Franks, or Cam) instead of a backup.
TexAntagonise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005   #162
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 24376 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-ReK
I'm not sure if this deserves it's own thread or not, so I'll let Vinny decide, but:

Texans | Look to Sign M. Rivers - from www.KFFL.com
Tue, 17 May 2005 20:52:26 -0700

ESPN.com's John Clayton reports the Houston Texans are apparently going to sign free agent TE Marcellus Rivers (Giants). He visited with the Texans Tuesday, May 17 and the team kept him in town overnight. Rivers was flown in after the Texans found out TE Bennie Joppru was lost for the season with a torn ACL.
Hmm, well - he was the youngest and tied for least NFL years out the "hot list" grouping, not quite the best avg yards - not sure what weight that carries in comparison.
Quote:
Originally Posted by A4toZ
Pat Kirwan's hot list for TE's

1. Cam Cleeland - StL - 6'5", 270 lbs, 29 yo
8 yrs, avg 11.6 yds
2. Marcellus Rivers - NYG - 6'4", 250 lbs, 26 yo
5 yrs, avg 8.4 yds
3. Zeron Flemister - NE - 6'4", 250 lbs, 28 yo
5 yrs, avg 11.6 yds
4. Chad Lewis (R) - Phi - 6'6", 250 lbs, 33 yo
8 yrs, avg 10.3 yds
5. Ken Dilger (R) -Tam - 6'5", 250, 33 yo
11 yrs, 11.5 avg yds
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005   #163
NeViKaN
Rookie

Quote:
Say you owned a large corporation that made millions. You invested heavily in an employee coming in and contributing to your company. Would you keep that person on the payroll for 3 years? With nothing to show for it? So why should the Texans??

I always love it when people say hey 300 thousand isn't all that much money...that's a fine opinion when it's somebody else's money you're talking about but how long does this team wait on this guy?
You refer to the players as people. Not to say that they are not but in this business they are widgets, commodity, or inventory.
NeViKaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005   #164
The Preacher
Veteran

Glass Half Full

1) Never seen what he can do professionally so how is he the difference that keeps us from the playoffs?

2) Will be ever indebted to Texans and should sign for league minimum considering he's already collected bigtime and yet to play.

3) Won't ever take playing in the NFL for granted if he ever plays and will probably never slack off which could be the reason he got hurt (too much stress on body).

4) Management and fans have absolutely no expectation for him to ever contribute again so if he does it's a bonus.

5) Forces other guys to step up.
The Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005   #165
JDizzle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3602 JDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respected

Torn ACL. That sucks. I really feel bad for the poor guy.
JDizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005   #166
DominickDavisFan76
Veteran

ya but if ur injured 3 years in a row, I say keep him but lower the money he will get out of his contract,so they can save some cap room and make a good buy on someone, that is needed for them to get better. Im not sure what position they need someone from but u all know what i mean, well im out bye.
DominickDavisFan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005   #167
hot pickle
السلام عليكم

Rep Power: 2074 hot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respected

is out for the season again or will he back back half way through the season?
hot pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-18-2005   #168
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunta23
is out for the season again or will he back back half way through the season?
Out for the season.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005   #169
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

Be interesting to know if any other team has carried an injured player on their IR for 3 straight years.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005   #170
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP
Default Looks like IR based on this

On BJ from Houston Texans

Sounds like IR for now. They might reevaluate after surgury.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005   #171
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

the real problem i have and i would think most of you have is not so much the fact that joppru has gotten hurt, but the fact that he's been getting hurt in practice and preseason. this guy has never played snap in the nfl and he gets hurt. just makes me wonder what will happen when he actually does play a game. i mean, is he gonna hold up when he gets popped across the middle or when dwight freeney rushes him and spins off of him. the good thing with him getting injured now, is that we have time to pick a free agent or make some kind of trade to get another TE. this is alot better than him getting injured the first game and all the quality FA's are taken.
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005   #172
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybe we could put Moses on the trading block , if he aint gone already, with something else for that TE we want.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005   #173
gcolby
Veteran

Anybody know where I can get a lemon-yellow Joppru jersey?

gcolby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005   #174
DRIFTAWAY
All Pro

Did Joppru show a history of injuries before we drafted him? This pick can now officially be classified under BUST for now. 3 straight seasons he has been hurt for the year, and we now know to expect injuries from him. Makes me question if he will be as physically strong, What if we put him in a game? Fumbles then out for career? odd case.
Most Improved- Juwan Howard
DRIFTAWAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005   #175
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIFTAWAY
Did Joppru show a history of injuries before we drafted him?
No he did not.
Old 05-18-2005   #176
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Capers - Real player link

Joppru suffers torn ACL
By Carter Toole
www.HoustonTexans.com

The news is official and it isn't good: Bennie Joppru's third NFL season will be his third one on the injured reserve list.

Head coach Dom Capers confirmed Wednesday that the Texans' tight end has a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee.

"Right now we'll probably wait 10 days or so before they do surgery," Capers said. "I think the rehab is normally six to nine months."

Joppru suffered the injury Monday when he made a cut on a pass route during a non-contact drill.

"It's extremely frustrating," Capers said. "I feel bad for Bennie. He's worked really hard but he's had terrible luck since he's been here. It'll be the third year in a row that he's had an injury and won't be able to participate. When you're an athlete and you're a competitor, that's awful tough."

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005   #177
Lucky

Rep Power: 132950 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWJD
Be interesting to know if any other team has carried an injured player on their IR for 3 straight years.
I'm thinking that the Broncos may have IRed Terrell Davis for 3 years. Giving Davis an injury settlement sooner may have lead to an acceleration on his remaing signing bonus. When you see something like that, it's usually cap related.
Old 05-18-2005   #178
rittenhouserobz
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to rittenhouserobz

I just want to say I am sorry to hear about this. I hope he recovers soon.
Old 05-18-2005   #179
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano
Maybe we could put Moses on the trading block , if he aint gone already, with something else for that TE we want.
Think we can sign Bubba Franks?
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005   #180
outofhnd
All Pro

I would rather Have Marcellus Rivers, Shows good hands and has a nose for getting open in the end zone. All TE are about the same Cam has 20 pounds on all of them. But I think Rivers would be cheaper.

I think imma find a 4 leaf clover and mail it to Bennie with instructions to keep it on you at all times on the football field. I mean this guy has like 0 luck... Did he break a mirror or a black cat cross his path on draft day? Maybe Next year he will be struck by lightening as he is just about to catch his first NFL pass.

I wonder what this does to you mentally, having to worry about re-aggravating these injuries.

As for the draft when we picked Joppru, I remember everyone on ESPN saying what a great pick and that he was the best tight end after shockey in the draft. Just has never worked out.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read