Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-17-2005   #141
SA Fan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEFUTURE
dont think bennie likes sitting there not being able to contribute, he comes back from two injuries and tries his hardest to compete and was doing a darn good job. What you want him to run through walls, lift 747s with a pinky... i mean c'mon the guy is human. he got hurt. If it was you in his position wouldnt you want the fans to know you are trying like hell to play, and then all of a sudden some injury comes out of no where to take the guy down. you didnt hear anyone complaining of how he milked the two mill up until now when he got hurt again, like he ever wanted to get hurt his first season... heck maybe your right, maybe he went out on the field, and purpossely tore his groin, and caused himself tons of pain, just so he could sit on the bench, watch the game that he loves to play, and just collect money... WAIT SOMEONE SLAP ME! thats garbage and everyone knows it, the guy wants to play, wants to contribute.. he never asked for this. ... You know what, lets do what everyone wants and cut him right, The next thing you know, he comes back healthy next year for some other team and contributes... and you jump on casserly and dom for releasing him, that you knew he was our future tight end
I didn't say that Joppru liked the way his career was going. I said if given the choice, most of US would pick his career up to date over ours.
Better Than Bucs
SA Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005   #142
CowboysTexansFan
Veteran

This news is extremely disappointing. I feel terrible for Joppru and how he must be taking all this after working so hard to come back, but at the same time, the team can't keep someone on the roster who doesn't contribute.

Capers himself has said that a guy can't make the team if he's on the sidelines (referring to players getting hurt in training camp). The fact is, if Joppru tore his ACL, he will have missed three full seasons. The team invested a 2nd round pick on him and has gotten zero return. I think it's time for the Texans to move on and release him. Perhaps Joppru can come back for another team if he wants to keep trying.
CowboysTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005   #143
Dime
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
Question for all you optimists who might think we're just a TE away from this
years playoffs, would you be willing to swap our 2006 #1 for the Steelers top pick from last months college Draft ?
no.... too much talent next year
Dime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005   #144
ojthecat
Veteran

Why cut him now. Just put him on IR and let's see what happens next year if I understand it really wont hurt our cap and we can see what happens next year. I am not saying don't look for another TE just the opposite however what is the big deal if he is on IR?
Old 05-17-2005   #145
vtech9
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 vtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to vtech9

Unless I am mistaken, Joppru can not be cut by the Texans unless he agrees to an injury settlement. If you hear that the Texans have reached an injury settlement with him then you can bet that he will be released shortly thereafter. If he doesn't agree to an injury settlement or isn't offered one, the Texans will have to either put him on the IR list or the PUP list. I could be wrong, but I don't think so.
vtech9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005   #146
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojthecat
Why cut him now. Just put him on IR and let's see what happens next year if I understand it really wont hurt our cap and we can see what happens next year. I am not saying don't look for another TE just the opposite however what is the big deal if he is on IR?
Absolutely. The Texans are three years into this now so who really cares about the fourth year of his contract. It's not like he's going to be earning 6 or 7 million dollars this year. Maybe next year this terrible run of luck ends. Maybe it doesn't. I'd put TE right up there near the top of our needs list and go get me one but I wouldn't have a problem seeing Joppru come back and try to make the team next year.

I'm not really trying to make light of his situation here but I have to add that I want to see him back next year if for no other reason than to see if this happens four times. I'm stunned it's gone to three, I don't see how it could happen again. Call it morbid curiosity if you will but I want to see if it's possible for this to happen four years in a row or I want to see him make it to the opening day roster.
Old 05-17-2005   #147
Lucky

Rep Power: 218553 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojthecat
Why cut him now. Just put him on IR and let's see what happens next year if I understand it really wont hurt our cap...
I think you're right. In fact, the cap hit would be slightly more if the Texans cut Joppru rather than keep him on IR. And as vtech9 points out, the Texans would need to reach an injury settlement with Joppru, anyway. Just put the guy on IR & deal with it in '06.
Old 05-17-2005   #148
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel
I'm stunned it's gone to three, I don't see how it could happen again.
What are the odds ? When this guys luck finally changes, gotta take him to
Vegas with you because he'll be due for a long, long run of good luck. But
really, the first two years were not independant of each other and this latest
injury could be a result of something as simple as him favoring the leg with the injured groin.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005   #149
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Works for me. Love to see Bennie battle back and wind up making it. Talk about a comeback story.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005   #150
kbourda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34 kbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respected
Smile

Quote:
For any fan that gets on joppru's case for being injured, go to hell. you think your upset? think how upset this guy is, he was finally healthy, and workin out hard everyday, playing well in the offseason, and a freak injury happens, it happens all the time. this isnt the same injury for the 2rd time, its a totally seperate one, no one could have expected this injury... Jason Witten, no one. not a single GM thought he was going to be as good as he is, or go tell every other teams GM in the NFL they are *****s too, cuz were not the only team that passed on him, and joppru was better prospect for us for a reason, he is a very talented all around TE.. no one possibly could have known what was going to happen to BJ... as for this years draft, if bennie stayed healthy like we thought he would, he was better than any tight end in this years draft... TEXANS FIGHT, you are horrible, stop posting stuff you dont know anything about. go be a raider fan or something.. palmer continues to show more and more of our offense as we get the pieces to the puzzle in place... 5 YEAR PLAN, get that straight. .. the point of not doing anything to the line is how we think we can help DC, by giving the line some consistency for once, and not just keep changing things over and over every season, otherwise the line wont get any cohesiveness together
Now tell me how you really feel. *s*
Old 05-17-2005   #151
THEFUTURE
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbourda
Now tell me how you really feel. *s*
oh i could keep going, but i figured id let someone else have a shot
THEFUTURE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005   #152
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't imagine any Texan fan WANTED the guy to get hurt but at some point you have to be realistic. The guy was a high draft choice and he hasn't played one down for the team...at a position they could use help at.

You can like the guy all you want, feel sorry for him all you want, know it's not his fault all you want but the bottom line is he can't play because he's always hurt. Period. Nobody is blaming the guy but at some point (NOW!) it's best for the team to move on and quit worrying about him playing. He can't even get to a preseason game.

On the bright side he's wealthy, young and probably pretty smart. He'll bounce back doing something but it doesn't look like it will be playing NFL football.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005   #153
THEFUTURE
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWJD
I don't imagine any Texan fan WANTED the guy to get hurt but at some point you have to be realistic. The guy was a high draft choice and he hasn't played one down for the team...at a position they could use help at.

You can like the guy all you want, feel sorry for him all you want, know it's not his fault all you want but the bottom line is he can't play because he's always hurt. Period. Nobody is blaming the guy but at some point (NOW!) it's best for the team to move on and quit worrying about him playing. He can't even get to a preseason game.

On the bright side he's wealthy, young and probably pretty smart. He'll bounce back doing something but it doesn't look like it will be playing NFL football.
Tell me one good reason to cut him.. cuz its not money, what a whole 380,00 dollars gonna break the Texans this year? c'mon, why get rid of a guy that has potential. this is a different injury, and has nothing to do with his groin, im a 100% positive this guy comes back, next year and has a strong showing. quote me on it.
Old 05-18-2005   #154
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not sure if this deserves it's own thread or not, so I'll let Vinny decide, but:

Texans | Look to Sign M. Rivers - from www.KFFL.com
Tue, 17 May 2005 20:52:26 -0700

ESPN.com's John Clayton reports the Houston Texans are apparently going to sign free agent TE Marcellus Rivers (Giants). He visited with the Texans Tuesday, May 17 and the team kept him in town overnight. Rivers was flown in after the Texans found out TE Bennie Joppru was lost for the season with a torn ACL.
D-ReK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005   #155
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Tell me one good reason to cut him.. cuz its not money, what a whole 380,00 dollars gonna break the Texans this year? c'mon, why get rid of a guy that has potential. this is a different injury, and has nothing to do with his groin, im a 100% positive this guy comes back, next year and has a strong showing. quote me on it.

1. He's never played one down for the team in a game.

2. His injuries are not just nicks...they are season ending injuries.

3. 3 years in a row he's on the payroll and you get nothing.

Say you owned a large corporation that made millions. You invested heavily in an employee coming in and contributing to your company. Would you keep that person on the payroll for 3 years? With nothing to show for it? So why should the Texans??

I always love it when people say hey 300 thousand isn't all that much money...that's a fine opinion when it's somebody else's money you're talking about but how long does this team wait on this guy?

It would perhaps make sense if he played some IN A GAME and showed something but that hasn't happened. Be logical. Players have to produce or they are done in this business. The Texans invested a great deal of time and money in Tony Boselli and finally had to bite the bullet. I think the only reason they were even a bit patient with him was because he was such a great player at one time. With BJ you can't even say that because he never gets to play because he's always hurt.

Last edited by WWJD; 05-18-2005 at 12:21 AM.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005   #156
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWJD
1. He's never played one down for the team in a game.

2. His injuries are not just nicks...they are season ending injuries.

3. 3 years in a row he's on the payroll and you get nothing.

Say you owned a large corporation that made millions. You invested heavily in an employee coming in and contributing to your company. Would you keep that person on the payroll for 3 years? With nothing to show for it? So why should the Texans??

I always love it when people say hey 300 thousand isn't all that much money...that's a fine opinion when it's somebody else's money you're talking about but how long does this team wait on this guy?

It would perhaps make sense if he played some IN A GAME and showed something but that hasn't happened. Be logical. Players have to produce or they are done in this business. The Texans invested a great deal of time and money in Tony Boselli and finally had to bite the bullet. I think the only reason they were even a bit patient with him was because he was such a great player at one time. With BJ you can't even say that because he never gets to play because he's always hurt.
What some are saying, however, is it costs more to cut him than to keep him. Therefore, business wise it seems you keep him on IR and see what happens next year. You actually gain rather than loose. I'm assuming the people know what they are talking about.....
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005   #157
THEFUTURE
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibar_Harry
What some are saying, however, is it costs more to cut him than to keep him. Therefore, business wise it seems you keep him on IR and see what happens next year. You actually gain rather than loose. I'm assuming the people know what they are talking about.....
Exactly, Ibar we finally agreed, its a miracle
Old 05-18-2005   #158
kbourda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34 kbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibar_Harry
And who knows it could do wonders for his psyche and may come back better than ever. Who knows. I feel sorry for the guy.
Old 05-18-2005   #159
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

The problem with Joppru besides coming back from injuries is that he will be 3 years removed from football when he is able to play again. That is a long time to be out of football. And he has zero nfl experience.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005   #160
THEFUTURE
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey
The problem with Joppru besides coming back from injuries is that he will be 3 years removed from football when he is able to play again. That is a long time to be out of football. And he has zero nfl experience.
he was two years removed this year, and no one really said much about it, its not like he just sits at home, im sure he is there everyday, watching a lot of film and studying the playbook, he might have a better grip of the playbook than a lot of other guys. also, whats so wrong with a player sitting three years before he plays anyways.. heck, im sure there are players that dont play the first few years being in the NFL, and come on later in their careers to make a contribution. We are just so used to every rookie coming in and performing for us right away, that we label him a bust... but we should, just look at it as time for Bennie to grasp the game from the sideline, gaining somthing out of this im sure.. i mean heck, look at peek, granted he played some downs for us, he was given time to develop, it just so happens that Bennie is developing in a MUCH MUCH different way, but hopefully for the best

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read