Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-16-2005   #61
kbourda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34 kbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBblitz
Just a thought: If im not mistaken he is from the "U" and AJ and PBuch could really help the negotiations

Bubba Franks:

Has never missed a game as a pro, seeing action in 64 straight contests (69 including playoffs)
Including his scoring pass in 2002, it marked the first time since 1991 that three Packers threw for touchdown (also Brett Favre and Doug Pederson) in a season
Fourth tight end in Packers history to be named to the Pro Bowl joining Ron Kramer (1962), Paul Coffman (1982-84) and Mark Chmura (1995, 1997-98)
Interestingly, his first touchdown receptions as a collegian (in 1997 at Pittsburgh) and in the professional ranks (in 2000 at Tampa Bay) came on fake field goal attempts
Was only the third tight ever drafted by Green Bay in the first round - and the first in 30 years (Rich McGeorge in 1970 being the last) - when the Packers tabbed him 14th overall in 2000
Caught a 20-yard pass from President of the United States George W. Bush, like him a West Texas native, when the then-Texas governor made a surprise visit to a Packers practice Sept. 28, 2000, during his presidential campaign
While in college, he worked as a caddy at LaGorce Country Club in Miami Beach during the summer months
Yes indeed he is from the U (Franks that is). It is very sad to see what is going on with Joppru. I hope it's not too serious to sideline him for a while.
Old 05-16-2005   #62
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

I think it's time the Texans cut ties with this kid...he's been hurt for the 3 years they've had him.

Some people just aren't meant to do a certain thing. I think perhaps he might want to consider another career option. It doesn't appear his health will permit him to play NFL football.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005   #63
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

so do we get a refund or what?
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005   #64
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

$794,910 to get hurt a third straight season and never play a snap in the nfl. that's crazy, the guy has probably collected over a million dollars in the past 3 years and he's never really done anything except get drafted in the second round.
Old 05-16-2005   #65
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

So we go into camp next season hoping Joppru can make it to opening day without a season ending injury and the simple fact is he's yet to do that. What in the world makes anyone think he's likely to next season? Even if he does now we're looking at a TE who hasn't played football in three years.

It's just time to say this didn't work out. Not "The Texans screwed up" or anything like that. There was no way this could be predicted. Joppru was a solid choice and we all thought he'd be a contributor for years to come. He won't so lets get busy finding a blocking/catching TE and move on. Franks works for me.
Old 05-16-2005   #66
U4ikrob
Guitar Junky

This article posted over on the Chronicle says a bit more

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/3184586

Joppru's days could be pretty numbered if the tests come back positive on the ACL tear.
Old 05-17-2005   #67
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the Texans are smart enough IF his injury is season ending again to say it's time to let him go; pay him an injury settlement or however they do it and see what else they can find at the TE position.

Thru no fault of his own he's just too injury prone. Bad luck, fate, providence, however you wish to label it it appears this young man is not fated for an NFL career.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-17-2005   #68
Keldar
Veteran

It's JUST a doggone good thing this boy ain't a horse........
Keldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005   #69
ATX
Hall of Fame

Old 05-17-2005   #70
THEFUTURE
All Pro

you know if it was the same injury to happen to joppru, id say he is done, but its a totally different injury, and has nothin to do with his groin, does it suck that he is down again, yeah definatly, but im not ready to just dump him. capers was high on him so far during the offseason, and he had been performing well and attended every workout, injuries do happen, i hate it as much as everyone else, maybe a restructure to his contract, but dont dump him all together... but i do think bubba franks should be looked at as a replacement, and hopefully the injury isnt season ending, and have joppru and franks in on duel TE sets.. but dont just drop him like a bad habbit
THEFUTURE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005   #71
ATX
Hall of Fame

the problem with that is when you're hurt you can't play. you can't just keep paying a guy to do nothing. he's made over 2 million dollars already and football is a business. i jjust don't see him with the team much longer as much as i'd like to see what he's got.
Old 05-17-2005   #72
jacquescas
Hall of Fame

this is absolutely unbelievable. i agree, lets injury buy him out, he can rehab on his own and try out, lets send some money Franks way cause we are out of options. Bruener and Miller arn't gonna be fun to watch another year.
jacquescas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005   #73
THEFUTURE
All Pro

could we release him, and sign him to the practice squad or something, a considerable loss in pay, but maybe he would take it to stay with the team, especially after we have given so much to him and got nothin back
Old 05-17-2005   #74
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Halterman now stands a chance to make the squad as an undrafted rookie
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005   #75
THEFUTURE
All Pro

we could always bring back jabari halloway, i think that was the guys name.. unless he caught on somewhere else
Old 05-17-2005   #76
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 107589 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

This news has absolutely no effect on me since I wasn't counting on him anyway.
I would have considered any contribution from Bennie to be 100% pure gravy.
I certainly hope that this forces the team's hand to an extent, and they spend a few bucks to bring in another veteran at the position.
This situation may tutn out to have a silver lining... or so I hope...
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005   #77
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27427 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

With GB's financial troubles, we wouldn't have to necessarily over pay for Franks. All we'd have to do is front load the contract. Doing that has a secondary benefit, of not putting a lot of backend dead money on the books. With the departures of Sharper, Foreman, & Glenn's contracts, we should have a fair amount of money to offer Franks a nice package. He's 27 years old. I bet he'd be looking to sign a contract somewhere in the neighborhood of 3-6 years.

Hey Charlie, whatcha' waitn' on?
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005   #78
Master Po
Veteran

The poster that brought up the 'roids issue is spot on, IMO. Destroys the ability to heal these types of injuries. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me three times...well...I should just go **** myself with a baseball bat wrapped in barbed wire. And, also IMO, Franks is not the answer. The only FA TE that has dropped more balls than this guy is Dudley. And while I'm at it...can we PLEASE stop with the "they went to the U. so AJ, and now PB, will be great influences, mentors, blah, blah, blah." Absolutely absurd. For my money...bring in Cam Cleeland. Just my .02.
Master Po is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005   #79
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21216 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcoolguy
$794,910 to get hurt a third straight season and never play a snap in the nfl. that's crazy, the guy has probably collected over a million dollars in the past 3 years and he's never really done anything except get drafted in the second round.
Still better than what Cleveland got out of Winslow. At least we didn't surrender the #7 pick in the draft to get him either.
TexanBacker93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005   #80
JustBonee
Hall of Fame

Sounds like it is about over for him. That's a real shame.
JustBonee is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read