Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-16-2005   #21
LikeABoss
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 LikeABoss seems to be losing the respect of his peers

I know Bubba Franks is in the transition phase, but isn't Green Bay in some kind of salary cap problem? Javon Walker is holding out because he wants a new deal, but didn't Green Bay had to release a good core of veteran players to get under the cap? If we make an offer for Franks, Green Bay probably wouldn't match it, and we wouldn't have to give up any picks because he is not a restricted free agent.
Old 05-16-2005   #22
titan hater
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
Right, but are their really 10 teams that have more issues and uncertainty at
TE than us ? I doubt it.
I dunno...this is the thing that bothers about some of the decisions that Cass
makes - I think over the long term PB is a wise move to replace Glenn, but Glenn probably had another year or two of mileage left. Instead of picking up
PB (or someone like him right now), keep Glenn and use that 2 and 3 this year to get a TE and a top tier center/guard out of the Draft instead of taking only one OL draft pick including TE and that is just a second day pick
at that.

Good point...What TE would you have picked up? What Guard / Center?
titan hater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005   #23
SESupergenius

Get use to the "unfortunate events" because they could not have been "forseen". It's going to be a looooooonnnnnggggg season.
Old 05-16-2005   #24
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by titan hater
Good point...What TE would you have picked up? What Guard / Center?
Somebody like Bass or another elite center/guard in the 2nd round. A guy like Bass is just not a long term replacement for McKinney or Weigert, he is atleast a near term upgrade for McKinney. The 5 th rounder we got is a backup.As far as TEs, I think that 2 or 3 were taking in the 3rd round. I mean this whole thing about Carr's effectiveness and well, health, is predicated on solidifying the TE position as well as the interior of the OL. And as Carr goes, hey, so goes the entire offense.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005   #25
jacquescas
Hall of Fame

in the 6th round when we picked S Ceandris Brown, we could have easily selected TE Joel Dreessen who was still on the board at that time.

6'4", 260, 4.69 in the 40.

Quote:
Strengths: Has adequate size and above average speed. Is a tough, competitive and experienced player. Is instinctive. Knows how to get off the LOS as a receiver and will do a good job of finding soft spots in zone coverage. He has excellent hands. Rarely drops a pass he should catch, shows the ability to catch over his head, and plucks the ball well on the run. Is a tough runner after the catch. Gets upfield quickly, has a little bit of burst, and will lower his shoulder and run over some DB's. Is a solid blocker in space. Has good upper body strength and is a tough fist-fighter type that will consistently get in position and work to finish. Also a consistent long-snapper.

Weaknesses: Has some durability concerns after abdominal injury in 2003. Has adequate but not great size. Is a better blocker in space than he is in-line. Lacks ideal lower body strength. Has some trouble matching up against bigger DE's. Doesn't get consistent enough push in the running game and has some trouble sustaining his blocks at times. Has adequate-to-good athletic ability but is not great in either area. Has the speed to stretch the middle of the field but lacks ideal COD skills and run-after-catch elusiveness.

Overall: Dreessen has been a starter since his redshirt freshman season in 2001. As a junior in 2003, he had 29 receptions for 323 yards and three touchdowns despite missing four games because of a severe lower abdominal strain. He returned healthy as a fulltime starter in 2004 and finished his senior season with 43 receptions for 427 yards and three TD's. Dreessen is very much an underrated prospect. He does lack elite size and elite athletic ability but he is at least adequate in both areas. He needs to improve his lower body strength and improve his in-line blocking skills but he has the size and upper body strength to match up in space as a blocker in the NFL. He also is a solid route runner with above average speed and outstanding hands. Dreessen has the potential to develop into a fulltime starter in the NFL and he has the character and work ethic to get the most out of his abilities. His potential to long-snap at the next level will also help him on draft day. There's a good chance that Dreessen will slip to the third round of the upcoming draft. If that's the case, we think he'll wind up becoming a "steal" at that point.

* Player biographies are provided by Scouts Inc.

i mean this guy was still on the board in the 6th round. i dont know why he slipped so far but i'd rather have him cheap than some saftey who might now see the field.
jacquescas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005   #26
UberDork
Veteran

Rep Power: 216 UberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respected

Sounds to me we almost have to make a push for Franks. We will probably have to overpay, but if Joppru is out, we are in serious trouble at TE. Franks seems like the only viable option at the moment.
UberDork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005   #27
Dime
Hall of Fame

:fatladysings: Sigh
Dime is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-16-2005   #28
Lucky

Rep Power: 120321 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
...As far as TEs, I think that 2 or 3 were taking in the 3rd round...
There were 2 TEs selected in the 3rd round. The other Alex Smith, out of Stanford, taken 2 picks ahead of the Texans by Tampa at #71. And Kevin Everett out of Miami (FL), taken by the Bills at #86. Everett injured his knee in the post draft rookie camp & is lost for the season.
Old 05-16-2005   #29
Meisterman
Veteran

If this is a serious injury....will Charlie finally have to use the "B" word for Bennie Jobdu?

Last edited by Meisterman; 05-16-2005 at 03:42 PM.
Meisterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005   #30
ccdude730
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 129 ccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ccdude730

Quote:
Originally Posted by throwANDREtheBALL
Why don't we wait for the June 1 cuts..............maybe we'll get lucky ?

And this wouldn't have been such a big deal if we'd signed an all-around tight-end instead of Mark "over the hill" Bruener. What was Casserly thinking ?

He had no way of seeing how injury prone Joppru would be, but, he did know that Bruener couldn't catch..........so what was he thinking ? Why didn't we get a TE that could block and CATCH when we had the chance ?

OH BROTHER!
we shouldnt have to hope to "get lucky" in order to fix our offense. and i happen to think a good TE would fix a great deal of our problems.

mark bruener wasnt brought in to catch passes, he was brought in to block since our blocking TE the previous season (seth wand) was moving to LT. did you watch preseason when he caught that pass and had to have 5 people to tackle him. or the jets game where he opened that HUGE hole for DD - even though it got called back. he came in for a specific job and i think he did just fine. dont bust his you know what because he didnt make us a top 10 offense.

look at the bright side - at least he knows the whole playbook

joppru needs to get better and get on the field
Old 05-16-2005   #31
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Just said on the ESPN790 show that it was a right knee. No word on severity. Hold your breath.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005   #32
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

This sucks. Everyone pray.

But more importantly, is Buchanan trying to break Andre Johnson's back?

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005   #33
THEFUTURE
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783
Just said on the ESPN790 show that it was a right knee. No word on severity. Hold your breath.
maybe a knee sprain, or something... as long as nothing is torn im happy, as long as when the season comes around he can compete for some time, and hopefully bust into the starting position
THEFUTURE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005   #34
Paragon Blue
Veteran

it looks like AJ is trying to do the worm.
Old 05-16-2005   #35
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Well Capers did say for the past two months he was down here making the same cuts and nothing's happened. Maybe it is something that can take a couple of days or weeks to heal. If it can happen now, and be good the rest of the year then we're okay.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005   #36
Bayern
Veteran

Haha AJ doing the worm!

Joppru will be fine guys, don't be so negative. He probably just pulled something and they are being extra cautious.
Bayern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005   #37
Texans Pride
Hall of Fame

Section: 111, Row Q
Rep Power: 347 Texans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respected

I think it is time to say "Thank you for your services" and cut our losses. This guy has been injured every year. It doesn't matter how good of a football player he CAN be when he can't even make it to the preseason!

This is very frustrating!
Texans Pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005   #38
DRIFTAWAY
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano
Well Capers did say for the past two months he was down here making the same cuts and nothing's happened. Maybe it is something that can take a couple of days or weeks to heal. If it can happen now, and be good the rest of the year then we're okay.
Are we really "okay"? If this guy ever makes it on a practice field let alone a game we still don't know what to expect from him.
Most Improved- Juwan Howard
DRIFTAWAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005   #39
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

you know no one has mentioned this so i will...this thought entered my head last year at this time when bennie got hurt but i didn't say anything but now three years in a row i will...bennie's injuries are related to that of steriod use...weakened tendons, etc...has anyone else thought of the possibility that joppru might be using roids...the nfl testing policy is hard to surpass but that's when you are on the active roster...bennie never has been...there really isn't a policy in place for non-active players...and why should there be...i think given his injuries maybe it's time to start questioning him about this...he could be using them to try and get back to level with the rest of the competition...i know they said it's his knee...maybe it's just light sprain and no big deal...but if it's his acl or mcl or whatever...we probabaly need to seriously look for another TE
Old 05-16-2005   #40
Texas_Thrill
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Texas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballotTexas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

I don't think we should have drafted a TE not saying we don't need one but i wasn't crazy about any of them coming out and i think our more pressing need was OL.

As far as bennie goes I think this is just one of those cases where an athletes body wont cooperate and it never will. We just can't count on him.
Texas_Thrill is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read