Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-16-2005   #221
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 306626 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

He has not been released and will almost certainly be put on IR for the season.
Old 08-16-2005   #222
tobybernard
waterboy

He Is Still Suffering From The Groin Injury??
tobybernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005   #223
William.carter
Veteran

NO torn ACL. Read the thread. i'm sure it will get you up to speed.
William.carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005   #224
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 116441 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

From Fanball via Yahoo!:

Tight end Bennie Joppru was officially placed on the PUP list due to the torn ACL he suffered during minicamp. Joppru can start practicing with the team at the end of October and could be activated later this season.

Views
Joppru has missed his first two NFL seasons because of injury, so he's no stranger to the training staff. The Texans could use some help at the tight end position, so if and when he's able to come back from injury he could certainly contribute to the Houston offense.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005   #225
lucky13

joppru is still on the roster to cover casserly's butt- what (another) wretched draft pick he was!
Old 09-01-2005   #226
Tedc
Hardheaded

Rep Power: 2838 Tedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respected

I hope Bennie doesn't catch a cold this year.

He may injure himself sneezing.
Old 09-01-2005   #227
rittenhouserobz
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to rittenhouserobz

My really big question is this. After all this time, is he in football shape mentally anymore? Does he even posess the skills that he was drafted for? To be honest I would have to think that one more setback and he is done for sure.
Old 09-01-2005   #228
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky13
joppru is still on the roster to cover casserly's butt- what (another) wretched draft pick he was!
Yeah-what a horrible draft pick! Casserly's crystal ball must have been broken when he drafted a healthy Joppru that was to become an injury-prone player. Shame on him!

Charles Hill="wretched" pick
Bennie Joppru="wretched" luck
Exascor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005   #229
William.carter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rittenhouserobz
My really big question is this. After all this time, is he in football shape mentally anymore? Does he even posess the skills that he was drafted for? To be honest I would have to think that one more setback and he is done for sure.
He isn't sitting on his butt at home eating Bon Bons. He is trainign and rehabilitating his knee. This guy have put in the work to get healthy and show up in shape each year after coming off an injury. He's got the heart to play and the talent to show well in his limited time in training camp the past 3 years.

To others who think Casserly and Co. made a mistake:

Horrible lucky with health issues doesn't make him a bad pick. No one would have forseen 3 years of season ending injuries. He is attending meetings and keeping his head in the game until his body can get back into it. Show the guy some respect for having the heart to endure these injuries and try and get back to the game that he loves and the team he supports.

Go Texans!
Old 09-01-2005   #230
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by William.carter
He isn't sitting on his butt at home eating Bon Bons. He is trainign and rehabilitating his knee. This guy have put in the work to get healthy and show up in shape each year after coming off an injury. He's got the heart to play and the talent to show well in his limited time in training camp the past 3 years.

To others who think Casserly and Co. made a mistake:

Horrible lucky with health issues doesn't make him a bad pick. No one would have forseen 3 years of season ending injuries. He is attending meetings and keeping his head in the game until his body can get back into it. Show the guy some respect for having the heart to endure these injuries and try and get back to the game that he loves and the team he supports.

Go Texans!
He has been drawing a paycheck for 3 years without ever playing so Joppru is only doing what should be expected.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005   #231
touttail
All Pro

Can you say Boselli?? Another one in the making!

Bobby 119C
touttail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005   #232
William.carter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey
He has been drawing a paycheck for 3 years without ever playing so Joppru is only doing what should be expected.
So what are you saying? A guy who works hard and tries to live up to the teams expecations doesn't deserve some respect rather than being called a bum, a loser, or a total bust that we should have avoided in the draft? Just trying to understand exactly what it is he DID that deserves the total lack of support this board seems to show him. It has to be tough being inches away from something you've wanted since you were a day dreaming child and never getting the chance to show your stuff. But he hasn't given up, and think that type of attitude and determination deserves a little respect.

I'm proud of the Texans for standing behind him. It shows what a class organization they really are.
Old 09-01-2005   #233
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
So what are you saying? A guy who works hard and tries to live up to the teams expecations doesn't deserve some respect rather than being called a bum, a loser, or a total bust that we should have avoided in the draft? Just trying to understand exactly what it is he DID that deserves the total lack of support this board seems to show him. It has to be tough being inches away from something you've wanted since you were a day dreaming child and never getting the chance to show your stuff. But he hasn't given up, and think that type of attitude and determination deserves a little respect.

I'm proud of the Texans for standing behind him. It shows what a class organization they really are.
All I said was that he is doing what he is being paid to do. I don't think that shows any kind of lack of respect. I think most people on this bb feel sorry for the guy but don't make it sound like he is doing something extraordinary by rehabbing and attending team meetings. The Texans have shown more patience with injured players than a lot of other nfl teams. You can bet though that if it was costing the Texans too much cap room Joppru would have been gone butI think it is costing us the same this year whether we keep him or cut him so the Texans figure why not keep him.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005   #234
William.carter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey
All I said was that he is doing what he is being paid to do. I don't think that shows any kind of lack of respect.
I apologize for my misinterpretation. Initially it sounded to me like you were saying the same thing another poster has said, basicly that he's cashing in and taking the easy way to pad his bank account.

Quote:
don't make it sound like he is doing something extraordinary by rehabbing and attending team meetings.
My point regarding this is that he is showing more heart that some guys who stand a good shot at making the final roster and that is a shame. To be specific, Bradford looks like he is phoning in his performance every time he takes the field. Low effort, low energy, and no desire. If he doesn't like the thought of playing #2 to a superior receiver, he shouldn't have signed with us again. just my opinion.

Quote:
You can bet though that if it was costing the Texans too much cap room Joppru would have been gone butI think it is costing us the same this year whether we keep him or cut him so the Texans figure why not keep him.
I agree with you whole heartedly, but a lot of teams in this league wouldn't have given this guy a chance to come back after the second season he missed. regardless of what it is costing them.
Old 09-01-2005   #235
Dionysus22
Veteran

Quote:

No one thinks he's a bum, but most feel the free ride has gone on long enough. Not to say that he's not busting his butt rehabing and attending meetings. But be honest, if it was YOUR money and YOUR butt on the line to bring home a winner, I'm pretty sure your opinion would be different. And if it wouldn't be, I sure hope you're not the CEO of any major company. Yes, he's a stand up guy and I wish more players had his heart, but this is a business. And I believe the cuttting of Billy Miller was a prime example of that. He was one of the most beloved Texans and they dropped him. AND HE WAS HEALTHY! It's nice to sit back and praise our organization for sticking by one of our guys who hasn't played a down since we drafted him 3 years ago. But what is this game about? Winning. Winning it all and being the best. And you can't win with injured players.
Dionysus22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005   #236
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionysus22
No one thinks he's a bum, but most feel the free ride has gone on long enough. Not to say that he's not busting his butt rehabing and attending meetings. But be honest, if it was YOUR money and YOUR butt on the line to bring home a winner, I'm pretty sure your opinion would be different. And if it wouldn't be, I sure hope you're not the CEO of any major company. Yes, he's a stand up guy and I wish more players had his heart, but this is a business. And I believe the cuttting of Billy Miller was a prime example of that. He was one of the most beloved Texans and they dropped him. AND HE WAS HEALTHY! It's nice to sit back and praise our organization for sticking by one of our guys who hasn't played a down since we drafted him 3 years ago. But what is this game about? Winning. Winning it all and being the best. And you can't win with injured players.
So exactly how dows cutting Joppru help us win? I'll help you out here: It won't. He won't cost us a roster spot and the cap savings would be trivial. He is only 25-not 30. He'll have 3 years of Texans playbook knowledge under his belt and still a ton of that dreaded word-potential. Why cut him?
Old 09-01-2005   #237
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by touttail
Can you say Boselli?? Another one in the making!

Bobby 119C
Missed this one. Boselli was damaged goods when we took him. Joppru wasn't. Not even close to the same thing.
Old 09-01-2005   #238
William.carter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionysus22

I'm not a CEO, but I know what a sunk cost is. His salary is a sunk cost. whether he plays a down or not. He could choose to walk away from the game and get paid the same, but he is earning his pay check. Not on the field granted, but he is doing his best to live up to his expectations. I wouldn't call that a free ride.

I guess I shouldn't have said anything, but i get tired of people bashing a guy while he is a down and calling for him to be cut loose when it isn't costing the Texans extra to keep him. He's doing the best he can to give them the player they drafted him to be.
Old 09-01-2005   #239
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exascor
So exactly how dows cutting Joppru help us win? I'll help you out here: It won't. He won't cost us a roster spot and the cap savings would be trivial. He is only 25-not 30. He'll have 3 years of Texans playbook knowledge under his belt and still a ton of that dreaded word-potential. Why cut him?
My thoughts exactly...well said.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005   #240
humbleone
Veteran

I am overall a big fan and supporter of Casserly and company regarding their selection of talent...IMO they have not missed much and no one gets them all right. That said, here are the facts pro and con regarding the Joppru decision:

We took him with the 41st pick in the draft in '03 which means we "passed" on a 6'5", 261 pound TE ranked higher on most boards from Tenessee by the name of Jason Witten (by way of reminder, Joppru is 6'4" and 262 pounds so they are about the same size). Witten was taken with the 69th pick by Dallas, has 1327 yds, 7 TD's and 87 receptions in '04 and the praise of a tough guy to please...Parcells.

IMO, the issue is not that CC is stupid for taking a guy that was never hurt and has been, nor the fact that the kid apparently wants to still give it a go...good for him although I agree with the posts that basicially point out correctly that he has been and continues to be paid to do that...I wish him well next year and hope that he can turn this thing around. But CC does own the decision to pass on Witten for Joppru. We have some very knowledgable (more so than me) fans on this board, and I would love to hear their thoughts on what that was all about. In fairness, maybe Joppru's numbers would have been as good or better than Witten's if he had not been hurt...we will never know.

I was disappointed with their passing on Witten in '03 and all I can remember about that was something about our coaches thought Joppru was a better blocker than Witten.

Also, in the interest of fairness and complete disclosure, I should mention that 27 other teams had a chance to pick Witten before Dallas got him in the third round (including us again at 67 when we took Peek) and they took guys who have not had Witten's impact for the most part also.

So in summary, nice going CC for DD, Mathis and CC Brown....

Whoops on Joppru (and not because he has been hurt) over Witten and a "2" for Tony Hollings.

Go Texans!!!
humbleone is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read