Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-14-2012   #21
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 345471 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Z report:Sizing up the Texans wide receiver battles

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
They've got Johnson and Walter penciled in at starter. How is that Kiddie?

In a 3 wide alignment, there will always be 1 rookie on the field. If AJ gets hurt, there will almost always be 1 rookie on the field. If AJ or KW gets a rest, there will most likely bee 1 rook on the field (unless they go to a heavy alignment.) And if KW gets beat out, there will usually be a rook on the field.

With AJ's recent history of injuries and KW's declining skills (and possible injuries as well), there's a good possibility that we could have 3 rookie wideouts on the field on a regular basis. We would be just "" that close to kiddie wides.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012   #22
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Here's how I think it plays out -

Posey , LeStar Jean , D.Jones and K.Martin all make the roster behind #80 and Walter with Jerrell Jackson and Maehl ending up on the PS.

I believe that none will have a "Huge year" but that each will contribute in different situations with Jean and Posey both seeing time both inside and out while Jones see's most of his opportunities on the outside and Martin on the inside.
I really think the days of us seeing #80 on the field for "every offensive play" are behind us ..... and each of these young guy's will get a good number of snaps. Scoreboard as well as down and distance will dictate the amount of snaps they see on a game by game basis , but I think they all see the field early and often.
I dont see a FA WR coming in unless its a guy who gets cut late that they can sign on the cheap. They have in the past let the young guy's fight it out for roster spots at WR when there were "Names" to be signed in FA .... TO , 85 , WhosYaMomma among them.

I know Kubiak is high on both Jean and Posey .... Those two will be fighting for the majority of snaps .....
This is the closest line of thought that I've got in my mind. With Kube's doing the evaluation and ass chewin' on the receiving corps he'll make a sound call, believe it or not. This is his side of the ball and I believe he's proven himself there.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012   #23
GuerillaBlack
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33658 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
I think his knucklehead reputation goes beyond one party. Hence his availability as a free agent, even though you think he can step into Andre the Giant's shoes right now.
Maybe, maybe not. None of us have heard of anything else.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012   #24
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 107589 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Posey , LeStar Jean , D.Jones and K.Martin all make the roster behind #80 and Walter with Jerrell Jackson and Maehl ending up on the PS.

I believe that none will have a "Huge year" but that each will contribute in different situations with Jean and Posey both seeing time both inside and out while Jones see's most of his opportunities on the outside and Martin on the inside.
I really think the days of us seeing #80 on the field for "every offensive play" are behind us ..... and each of these young guy's will get a good number of snaps. Scoreboard as well as down and distance will dictate the amount of snaps they see on a game by game basis , but I think they all see the field early and often.
I dont see a FA WR coming in unless its a guy who gets cut late that they can sign on the cheap. They have in the past let the young guy's fight it out for roster spots at WR when there were "Names" to be signed in FA .... TO , 85 , WhosYaMomma among them.

I know Kubiak is high on both Jean and Posey .... Those two will be fighting for the majority of snaps .....

How about a small wager? A couple of cold beverages of the winners choice. I'll bet that a veteran wideout is signed before TC.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012   #25
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114221 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
How about a small wager? A couple of cold beverages of the winners choice. I'll bet that a veteran wideout is signed before TC.
By veteran he means anyone with more experience than a rookie. Still plenty of training camp roster spots to be filled! Dont do it corrosion. I bet mich can drink like a fish and you'll regret the tab he rings up!
Old 05-15-2012   #26
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

He won't carry 6 WRs. 5 max.

My take:

AJ, KW, Jean, Posey, Martin.

Dwight Jones is PS at best. Maehl will be PS.

Jean will get the nod at WR ahead of Posey and Martin because Kubiak is loyal to upper classmen.

Posey makes the roster because he was our highest drafted WR since maybe Jacoby?

Martin makes the roster due to his value on special teams.

All five of my WR choices are no-brainers. Dwight would have to be all-world from camp through preseason games in order to supplant any of the guys Kubiak values more at this stage.

Dwight Jones should have played nice with UNC. Plus, the early analysis on him is that he's inconsistent but shows flashes....which reminds me of #12 all over again. Sure, DJ is more pure at WR than JJ, but still: There's a reason dude went undrafted.
Old 05-15-2012   #27
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 76955 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree that the Texans will stash 2 WR's out of this group on the PS, unless 1 or more go down with injury like Jean last year.

#1 AJ
#2 Walter
Slot Martin
Backup #2 Posey
Backup #2 Jean
PS backup #2 Jones
PS Slot Backup Maehl
Blake is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-15-2012   #28
Perki-Perk
DieHard Texan!

Section: Wolfies, Table 16
Rep Power: 4783 Perki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Dwight Jones should have played nice with UNC. Plus, the early analysis on him is that he's inconsistent but shows flashes....which reminds me of #12 all over again. Sure, DJ is more pure at WR than JJ, but still: There's a reason dude went undrafted.
There's a reason Arian and a couple of other guys went undrafted as well, and that seemed to work out pretty well for us. If the locker room helped to turn some others around, why not D.Jones, especially with his old QB here?
Old 05-15-2012   #29
V3rm0nt3r
All Pro

Section: Wherever the biggest TV is
Rep Power: 2846 V3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm torn over how Smithiack handled this position this offseason. First I think they made a mistake holding on to Jacoby for as long as they did. I know they were hoping to get something for him but as a result they missed out on any FA WR of note. The only that have noticeably produced recently and are still out there are Braylon Edwards, Plax, Mark Clayton and Adrian Arrington (tore up the preseason last year but only had 9 regular season catches).

On top of that, this Texans team is supposed to be elite. In my humble opinion, truly elite teams don't typically enter TC relying on a preseason phenom coming off a season ending injury and a couple of mid round draft picks to back up a #1 coming off a season plagued by injuries and a serviceable, albeit average, #2.

On the other hand I truly believe the five guys (Jean, Posey, Martin, Maehl, D. Jones) pushing for roster spots all have the potential to lead good/great careers and I've learned that if there's one thing Kubes is truly exceptional at it's finding offensive gems late/after the draft and developing them into professionals that are at least above average.
V3rm0nt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012   #30
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Dre, kw, posey, Jean, Martin, jones.

And I think trindon makes the team or is put on ps.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012   #31
Trail.Blazr
All Pro

Rep Power: 19086 Trail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Who is the 3rd, 4th and 5th?

The Candidates:
Lestar Jean - 2011 UDFA - 2011 IR
Jeff Maehl - 2011 UDFA - 3 games, 0 Receptions
Trindon Hilliday - 2010 6th Round Pick - 0 Receptions
Juaquin Iglesias - 2011 FA - 1 game, 0 Receptions
DeVier Posey - 2012 3rd Round Pick
Keshawn Martin - 2012 4th Round Pick
Dwight Jones - 2012 UDFA
Mario Louis - 2012 UDFA
Jerrell Jackson - 2012 UDFA

My first reaction reading this list is...

Then I realize that there is a player that will be on the roster that's not on this list. A veteran FA WR. The name? Don't know it. But, there has to be one.

What about the rest? Posey will be on the team, obviously. How much will he contribute? Depends on injuries, but I wouldn't expect more than 30 receptions this season.

Keshawn Martin is a year away from giving the team anything in the passing game. Strictly a returner this season.

Lestar Jean was a 2011 camp phenom who made some circus cathes in camp and during the preseason. How that translates to 2012, and how his knee injury has affected him, remains to be seen.

Jeff Maehl is a David Anderson clone that just doesn't give you enough versatility to make a roster.

Juaquin Iglesias has done nothing in his 3 seasons out of college. That won't change here.

Trindon Holliday is still on the roster? Really, Coach Joe? Put the tricycle down.

Mario Louis is a small college walk-on who exploded as a senior. Intriguing practice squad potential.

Jerrell Jackson is major conference underachiever with a load of physical potential. Another practice squad possibility.

I honestly believe that Dwight Jones is the 2nd most talented WR on this roster. Will that translate to the field? Will the Texans coaches get through to him and tap his potential? It's up to Jones. He's the X factor of this WR list. Jones is as familiar (or more) with this offense as any WR not named Andre Johnson or Kevin Walter. He has the physical ability to make plays in the NFL immediately. I think two things can happen with Jones: 1) He is an immediate contributor, as the #3 WR or 2) He's cut in training camp.

Give that guy a #12 jersey and a contract extension NOW!
Old 05-16-2012   #32
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 62228 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
He won't carry 6 WRs. 5 max...
Bleacher Report predicts six WR. FWIW
Old 05-18-2012   #33
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 90089 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TejasTom View Post
Bleacher Report predicts six WR. FWIW
I think it depends on how many quarterbacks, runningbacks, and fullbacks we decide to keep.
Old 05-18-2012   #34
pec0sb0b
on the lam

Rep Power: 2716 pec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respected

WR 1 - Andre Johnson, backup - Lestar Jean
WR 2 - Kevin Walter, backup - Devier Posey
WR 3 (Slot) - Keshawn Martin, backup - Jeff Maehl

Practice Squad - Mario Louis, Dwight Jones

Don't call us, we'll call you - Trindon Holliday, Juaquin Iglesias, Jerrell Jackson

If you read all of the column Zierlein goes on to relate this nugget concerning Dwight Jones - "One person with personal knowledge of Jones called him “entitled”, “lazy” and “a turd who doesn’t have the work ethic to make it in the league”...not encouraging.

For the record, the Chronicle sux.
Old 05-19-2012   #35
phantom17
#1 Fan in RGV!

Rep Power: 1292 phantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perki-Perk View Post
There's a reason Arian and a couple of other guys went undrafted as well, and that seemed to work out pretty well for us. If the locker room helped to turn some others around, why not D.Jones, especially with his old QB here?
I'm hoping that this is the case. I like his chances, he just need to get his Sh%t together, & work hard.
Old 05-22-2012   #36
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Good looking bunch of young'ns....... that Jerrell Jackson (89) looks like a beast.

Last edited by thunderkyss; 05-22-2012 at 09:12 PM.
thunderkyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012   #37
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

I feel so sorry for Holliday. He can't even reach the top of the fist stack.

He's just sort of hanging his fist in the air.
Old 05-28-2012   #38
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114221 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
See mike sims-walker thread.
Old 05-28-2012   #39
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222017 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by powda View Post
By veteran he means anyone with more experience than a rookie. Still plenty of training camp roster spots to be filled! Dont do it corrosion. I bet mich can drink like a fish and you'll regret the tab he rings up!

You likely saved me a bar tab there .... not that I would have complained.

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda View Post
See mike sims-walker thread.
Work out doesnt mean sign ....

See the Justin Forsett thread (so far).

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012   #40
powda
Hall of Fame

Quote:

Work out doesnt mean sign ....

See the Justin Forsett thread (so far).
I know...but it does reveal they have an intrest an will likely do so soon. I dont know mich but anyone who wants to make a drink wager online can probably empty your wallet with the tab.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read