Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-12-2012   #41
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18476 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Earl Mitchell bulks up from 287 to 308 pounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post

Come on CND, was this really necessary? I'm going blind.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012   #42
CretorFrigg
Fire Rick Smith

Rep Power: 23062 CretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You know they say it's not safe to post pictures of yourself on the internet.
Old 05-12-2012   #43
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 154140 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Keep in mind that Slaton's body type make up / size / expected position function is totally different that of a defensive lineman. He essentially added 20 lbs of weight (on his sub 200 lb 5'9" frame) intended for ONLY the upper body, for the sole purpose of being able to sustain the trauma of head on hits. It, along with his tentativeness after his neck injury, contributed to his noticeable drop in quickness, which was his greatest trait. Try not to worry too much about analogy of these two players and their "weight gain."
I understand what you're saying, but 20lbs of muscle is good, no matter who you put it on. 20lbs of fat isn't. If you're expecting Mitchell to be that unmoveable force... yeah, 20lbs is 20lbs, don't really care where you get it.

But if you want him to push the pocket, if you want him to make stuff happen at the LOS, if you expect him to become the kind of inside presence that will avg 5 to 8 sacks over his career..... it had better be the 20lbs of muscle.

I, for some reason, think Wade wants the latter.

Arm chair coaches here, want the former.

If he got fat & slow, he's our next Travis Johnson.
Old 05-12-2012   #44
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 88339 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Agreed

But with both Cody and Mitchell becoming FA's after this yr, planning for the loss of one of them would seem to be the prudent thing to do.

Fangupo would be a good place to start planning for the future. With Mitchell and Fangupo both having the ability to play some 5 tech Fangupo will probably make the team.

At whose/what positions expense is what should be interesting.
I agree. We were able to sustain the loss of Mario with having solid replacements. Hopefully, we have these in place at QB, NT, OLB (Barwin) and the only position we might be prepared to replace is LT. Not saying we should or have to but would be nice if team has upper hand.
Old 05-12-2012   #45
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 132643 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I understand what you're saying, but 20lbs of muscle is good, no matter who you put it on. 20lbs of fat isn't. If you're expecting Mitchell to be that unmoveable force... yeah, 20lbs is 20lbs, don't really care where you get it.

But if you want him to push the pocket, if you want him to make stuff happen at the LOS, if you expect him to become the kind of inside presence that will avg 5 to 8 sacks over his career..... it had better be the 20lbs of muscle.

I, for some reason, think Wade wants the latter.

Arm chair coaches here, want the former.

If he got fat & slow, he's our next Travis Johnson.
I don't believe I was ever speaking about gaining fat. Nevertheless, even gaining too much muscle on a small frame can lead to problems, especially one of coordination, especially if counterbalancing muscles are not equally developed......something that unfortunately occurs too often when a great deal of muscle is put on quickly. To put it simply, you can only build so much house on a small foundation.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012   #46
redwhiteblue
Veteran

Rep Power: 2087 redwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respected

Oh so Mitchell is another former TE?
redwhiteblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012   #47
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7237 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You got me there! That's the info I got. But should have worded it "mostly" muscle.

But at least he still has a strong musclular lower body.

Damn! If ever there was a post that deserved rep. Alas, msr....

Bravo, Doc.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-14-2012   #48
SteveSlaton20
All Pro

Rep Power: 717 SteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to SteveSlaton20

Wow, he really wants the starting job. I think him and Cody are going to be a force to be reckoned with.
Old 05-14-2012   #49
TejasTom
Get #80 a ring!

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 32888 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFanatic View Post
Damn! If ever there was a post that deserved rep. Alas, msr....

Bravo, Doc.
Got him for you.
TejasTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012   #50
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
During any organized activity there are cooks guided by the nutritionist providing meals to the players. The nutritionist does all sorts of educational and personal planning with them in conjunction with the athletic trainer. When organized activities are not going on the players are not going to drive to the stadium to eat and the team is not going to send private chefs out to each player.
Right. Why not? Seems like it wouldn't take much to protect their investments...

Hell, they could give me a field pass for one game or something like that and I would cook for them! Steamed fish and chicken, veggies, rice, pasta...I'd do it.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012   #51
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 88339 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Why would not the individual player hire a cook/nutritionist, massage therapist/trainer or whatever? Seems that would be a good thing and a business write off.
Old 05-15-2012   #52
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Why would not the individual player hire a cook/nutritionist, massage therapist/trainer or whatever? Seems that would be a good thing and a business write off.
I'm pretty sure most players have trainers they work with or training programs from the team. I'm also pretty sure they go and get massages. Most of them probably also have diet plans they follow.

But to hire individuals to do all that stuff would be expensive. Yeah they make a bunch of money, but all of them aren't super rich. And plus they probably have a lot of other expenses.

A good friend of mine and the lady I work with in the classroom is Isaac bruce's mother in law. Her oldest daughter is married to him. (she's an engineer)

They have a lot of money, but he takes care of a lot of his deadbeat family. He had some apartments and a whole section was occupied by family that was staying there rent free. And some of them had good jobs.

Basically, what I'm saying is that quite a few players can't or don't budget for that.

It's almost like saying a regular guy should only shop at whole foods. Yes there are quite a few people that do, but some people don't budget for that and some just can't afford it.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012   #53
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 147467 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I have a friend who's a massage therapist. She works on a lot of athletes, including Wade Smith. But it's more of a "they call you when they need you" sort of thing as opposed to a "you work for me" thing.

tangential sidebar alert....

My wife got thrown from one of her horses. She cracked a couple of ribs and had a horrible, purple bruise that went from her mid-thigh up to her armpit. She asked that massage therapist "have you ever seen a bruise this bad?" And the massage therapist said, "Oh, yeah. I work on football players. They all have bruises this bad or worse."
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012   #54
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10331 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

I didn't see it anywhere, but was Mitchell's decision to bulk up his own decision or did the team ask him to do it?
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012   #55
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
I didn't see it anywhere, but was Mitchell's decision to bulk up his own decision or did the team ask him to do it?
I think he said he did it because he wanted to be a little bigger while in the trenches. Of course, that could be a conclusion he had drawn for him.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012   #56
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd be surprised if the team didn't ask him to get a little bigger.
Old 05-15-2012   #57
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I'm pretty sure most players have trainers they work with or training programs from the team. I'm also pretty sure they go and get massages. Most of them probably also have diet plans they follow.

But to hire individuals to do all that stuff would be expensive. Yeah they make a bunch of money, but all of them aren't super rich. And plus they probably have a lot of other expenses.

A good friend of mine and the lady I work with in the classroom is Isaac bruce's mother in law. Her oldest daughter is married to him. (she's an engineer)

They have a lot of money, but he takes care of a lot of his deadbeat family. He had some apartments and a whole section was occupied by family that was staying there rent free. And some of them had good jobs.

Basically, what I'm saying is that quite a few players can't or don't budget for that.

It's almost like saying a regular guy should only shop at whole foods. Yes there are quite a few people that do, but some people don't budget for that and some just can't afford it.
Let me wipe tears from my face because a player does not or chooses not to manage his minimal hundreds of thousands per year salary.

You can pick up a cook/housekeeper for couple C notes a week to follow team oriented menus. Now you do have to report them on your income taxes...
Old 05-15-2012   #58
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 132643 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

I've known quite a few NFL players over the years. Many have had complete nutritional guidance by the team and healthy prepared meals on "campus." But when they go out, it's unbelieveable how much and what kind of garbage food they choose to consume, not to even mention alcohol. Of course, there are others that continue their healthful lifestyle when "out of sight."
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012   #59
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Let me wipe tears from my face because a player does not or chooses not to manage his minimal hundreds of thousands per year salary.

You can pick up a cook/housekeeper for couple C notes a week to follow team oriented menus. Now you do have to report them on your income taxes...
A couple of c notes? For a weeks worth of house keeping and cooking?

Where?

C note is a hundred dollar bill right?

As far as managing your money, part of that is NOT spending it on things you can do yourself. Such as cooking and cleaning.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read