Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-11-2012   #21
Yaky
Rookie

Rep Power: 1001 Yaky is a quality contributor and well respectedYaky is a quality contributor and well respectedYaky is a quality contributor and well respectedYaky is a quality contributor and well respectedYaky is a quality contributor and well respectedYaky is a quality contributor and well respectedYaky is a quality contributor and well respectedYaky is a quality contributor and well respectedYaky is a quality contributor and well respectedYaky is a quality contributor and well respectedYaky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Earl Mitchell bulks up from 287 to 308 pounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
If we dump Cody we just have to find someone else and he is already cheap so what's the point unless it is an obvious upgrade?
This. Dunno why everybody wants to get rid of Cody. He's a solid starter at a very important position in the 3-4 defense, and he's cheap.

Fangupo hasn't played 1 down in the NFL, hasn't proven anything, and he's almost as old as Cody.
Yaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012   #22
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 62963 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Great news. I hope this kid will succeed. Him being a hometown guy, and from all the interviews, and articles I saw about him. He comes off as a really good person, with great character. He's a perfect fit for the Texans.

Lets just hope he doesn't gall all Slaton on us like he did when he put on all that weight...

I dont think hew ill though. I'm looking forward to see play this coming season and kick some ass!

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
WINTERFELL - BECAUSE STANNIS PUSHED IT
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012   #23
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Earl Mitchell bulks up from 287 to 308 pounds
Nick Scurfield

...“It was kind of a conscious effort,” Mitchell (6-3) said on Thursday. “I just focused on knowing what I needed to do and just kind of the battles that I was going through, knowing that I needed to weigh a little bit more just to withstand those double teams in playing nose tackle. I thought that this was going to be a big year for me, so I approached it very seriously and pretty much just wanted to hit it with a full head of steam to build off of how I was playing in the latter part of the season.”

read complete article: http://blog.houstontexans.com/2012/0...to-308-pounds/
Well dang, I'm impressed. I was hoping he would move to DE but if he kept his speed and increased his power, no wonder they did not draft a NT. THis should give Fangupo time to adjst to NFL and get conditioning for 16 games. Very positive move from Mitchell.
Old 05-11-2012   #24
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by False Start View Post
Great news. I hope this kid will succeed. Him being a hometown guy, and from all the interviews, and articles I saw about him. He comes off as a really good person, with great character. He's a perfect fit for the Texans.

Lets just hope he doesn't gall all Slaton on us like he did when he put on all that weight...

I dont think hew ill though. I'm looking forward to see play this coming season and kick some ass!
You want to remember that Slaton had a severe neck injury also.
Old 05-11-2012   #25
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
The Texans finally got smart about what they need in the middle. That weight gain was basically in his upper body..........and all muscle. He already had good lower bulk and strength.
There were a couple of things in the article that sounded good. Working out at UH, working out whenever bored, learning to cook...

But without pictures, I'm a little worried. Getting flashbacks to Slaton's "bulking" up.

I also like how he talks about the success he had at the end of the season & wanting to build on that.
Old 05-11-2012   #26
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 165989 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by otisbean View Post
This is not always the case, if his strength and explosiveness are maintained through training he may not lose much if any thing. As an example, if he deadlifts 550 and power cleans 315 at 285 and those numbers equate to a 4.75 40, if he jumps to a bodyweight of 305 and DLs 625 and cleans 365 he wouldn't lose much on field explosiveness.

If he put on 20 lbs of fat or just gained size in his upper body alone you could see a drop in on field performance

As a side note, it's not uncommon for heavy weight olympic weightlifters and shot putters to run faster 10yd splits than the sprinters.
^^^^^This. The direct implication is that Mitchell has gained muscle and strength, probably mostly in his upper body, since his lower body attributes have never been questioned. Weight from fat merely slows you down, but it does provide more stability and power especially important in linemen. Weight from muscle, especially with accompanying loss of fat, does the same thing except for the fact that it gives you more speed rather than slowing you down.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012   #27
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 165989 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
There were a couple of things in the article that sounded good. Working out at UH, working out whenever bored, learning to cook...

But without pictures, I'm a little worried. Getting flashbacks to Slaton's "bulking" up.

I also like how he talks about the success he had at the end of the season & wanting to build on that.
Keep in mind that Slaton's body type make up / size / expected position function is totally different that of a defensive lineman. He essentially added 20 lbs of weight (on his sub 200 lb 5'9" frame) intended for ONLY the upper body, for the sole purpose of being able to sustain the trauma of head on hits. It, along with his tentativeness after his neck injury, contributed to his noticeable drop in quickness, which was his greatest trait. Try not to worry too much about analogy of these two players and their "weight gain."
Sponsored links
Old 05-11-2012   #28
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 272958 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Keep in mind that Slaton's body type make up / size / expected position function is totally different that of a defensive lineman.
Exactly. At an even more basic level a 20 lb addition to a 190 lb body is much more significant than a 20 lb addition to a 300 lb body. Of course how it is added matters even more but you are talking about a bigger change.
Old 05-12-2012   #29
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
I'm glad to hear of the added bulk as long as he doesn't lose athleticism in the process or test positive for anything. Also with OTA's and then training camp, I question if he can keep the weight on going into the season. With Cody being a FA after this next season we may see a NT rotation of Mitchell and Fangupo soon.
Yep,

Fangupo is a natural 320 Lbs man who has great strength and suprising quickness. If he can find a way to stop spraining his ankles he could be a real difference maker.

With Cody and Mitchell both becoming FA's after this yr, I could see Fangupo making the team and playing some next yr. Then taking on a more significant role in 2013.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012   #30
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 61322 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
If we dump Cody we just have to find someone else and he is already cheap so what's the point unless it is an obvious upgrade?
That didn't sound like he was talking about cutting Cody but more rather... "planning" for when Cody hits the FA market. I like that thinking AND I am satisfied with Cody.
Old 05-12-2012   #31
VTexan
The Realist

Rep Power: 5502 VTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The Texans finally got smart about what they need in the middle. That weight gain was basically in his upper body..........and all muscle. He already had good lower bulk and strength.
And all muscle? comon now.
VTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012   #32
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41142 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaky View Post
This. Dunno why everybody wants to get rid of Cody. He's a solid starter at a very important position in the 3-4 defense, and he's cheap.

Fangupo hasn't played 1 down in the NFL, hasn't proven anything, and he's almost as old as Cody.
I agree Yaky, your points have solid validity and logic. Besides, who do we have to do "On the Nose" in Cody's absence ?
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012   #33
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 45091 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTexan View Post

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012   #34
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
They have a RD (registered dietitian) educate the players and help them structure their meals from day 1.
A nutritionist of course but not a chef? I mean these guys are paid to be football players, not chefs. Some of them probably make the money for personal chefs who cook up the boatload of healthy food they need, some of them probably get by themselves or with someone close to them...seems like the team could probably employ a few personal chefs. I don't know how many of them live around here but it seems like a few of them do. I think they have it in the budget to get a meals-on-wheels going lol...just seems like something the team might be interested in.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012   #35
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 272958 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
A nutritionist of course but not a chef? I mean these guys are paid to be football players, not chefs. Some of them probably make the money for personal chefs who cook up the boatload of healthy food they need, some of them probably get by themselves or with someone close to them...seems like the team could probably employ a few personal chefs. I don't know how many of them live around here but it seems like a few of them do. I think they have it in the budget to get a meals-on-wheels going lol...just seems like something the team might be interested in.
During any organized activity there are cooks guided by the nutritionist providing meals to the players. The nutritionist does all sorts of educational and personal planning with them in conjunction with the athletic trainer. When organized activities are not going on the players are not going to drive to the stadium to eat and the team is not going to send private chefs out to each player.
Old 05-12-2012   #36
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTexan View Post
You got me there! That's the info I got. But should have worded it "mostly" muscle.

But at least he still has a strong musclular lower body.

Old 05-12-2012   #37
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
I agree Yaky, your points have solid validity and logic. Besides, who do we have to do "On the Nose" in Cody's absence ?
Agreed

But with both Cody and Mitchell becoming FA's after this yr, planning for the loss of one of them would seem to be the prudent thing to do.

Fangupo would be a good place to start planning for the future. With Mitchell and Fangupo both having the ability to play some 5 tech Fangupo will probably make the team.

At whose/what positions expense is what should be interesting.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012   #38
VTexan
The Realist

Rep Power: 5502 VTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
this guys looks like the true NT texans fans have been clamoring for!
VTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012   #39
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

He'll may lose a few pounds leading up to the season from work outs and practice. I think he'll end up a little closer to 300ish. Just a guess.

A 15-20 lb weight gain isn't super drastic for a big guy so I think he'll carry it well. Hopefully.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012   #40
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27437 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post

Fangupo would be a good place to start planning for the future. With Mitchell and Fangupo both having the ability to play some 5 tech Fangupo will probably make the team.

At whose/what positions expense is what should be interesting.
I can see Fangupo coming down with an mystery illness at the end of training camp allowing the Texans to put him on IR island and not exposing him to the PS.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read