Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-11-2012   #1
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 173371 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Earl Mitchell bulks up from 287 to 308 pounds

Earl Mitchell bulks up from 287 to 308 pounds
Nick Scurfield

...It was kind of a conscious effort, Mitchell (6-3) said on Thursday. I just focused on knowing what I needed to do and just kind of the battles that I was going through, knowing that I needed to weigh a little bit more just to withstand those double teams in playing nose tackle. I thought that this was going to be a big year for me, so I approached it very seriously and pretty much just wanted to hit it with a full head of steam to build off of how I was playing in the latter part of the season.

read complete article: http://blog.houstontexans.com/2012/0...to-308-pounds/
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012   #2
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 131093 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Earl Mitchell bulks up from 287 to 308 pounds

The Texans finally got smart about what they need in the middle. That weight gain was basically in his upper body..........and all muscle. He already had good lower bulk and strength.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012   #3
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Earl is a gem of a person too. Local product from North Shore went to Arizona as a top rated TE. couldn't get on the field because of some guy named Rob Gronkowski so he switched positions to DT. now this says a lot about his work ethic & raw physical talent.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012   #4
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7394 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

I thought he had a chance to beat out Cody last year. Shaun played better than I thought he would and kept his job but he is going to have a hard time this year.
Old 05-11-2012   #5
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19489 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Earl is a gem of a person too. Local product from North Shore went to Arizona as a top rated TE. couldn't get on the field because of some guy named Rob Gronkowski so he switched positions to DT. now this says a lot about his work ethic & raw physical talent.
That's awesome, thanks for the info.
Old 05-11-2012   #6
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 53272 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

I love it. Personally, I think the 305-310 range is damn near perfect for the current system. Quickness and Power.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012   #7
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24999 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

I like Mitchell. I think this can possibly take him to the next level in this defense.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-11-2012   #8
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 173371 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

I feel pretty much the same. So far, I noticed a big change in the weight room. Ive gotten a lot stronger, and I feel a whole lot better and just a whole lot more confident just being around my teammates, just feeling stronger and feeling a little bit more healthy conditioning-wise.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012   #9
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Of course, you have to eat to gain the weight and he says learning to cook a little bit helped him to really pack it on....

My question is....don't the Texans have a team chef? I guess they probably can't send one out to every home. Geez, I know my friend is a serious body builder and had to learn how to bake about 10 chickens a week to keep up his growth. Already at 280, moving up another 20 pounds definitely took some dedication. If he can still run and keep the explosion at 305 he's going to be fierce this season!
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012   #10
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15762 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

This is awesome! I was already excited for football to start and now there is 1 more reason to bump up that level of excitement. Mitchell wants to start and dominate. This is going to be one heck of a year for the Texans. Five primetime games including Thanksgiving. A new crop of receivers with potential. Mercilus and Crick ready to make a name and wreck some offenses their rookie year. A fatboy olineman that is agile and an SEC center that could play guard also and is probably gonna be good for a long time in the NFL. I'm even excited to see Bradie James in the middle! Damn I'm ready for some football!
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012   #11
rush2112mn
All Pro

Rep Power: 972 rush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respected
Thumbs up Re: Earl Mitchell bulks up from 287 to 308 pounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
The Texans finally got smart about what they need in the middle. That weight gain was basically in his upper body..........and all muscle. He already had good lower bulk and strength.
Looks like Cushing is wearing off on everyone.....another gym rat born........
Hulk strongerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..... ..
rush2112mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012   #12
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 61034 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rush2112mn View Post
Looks like Cushing is wearing off on everyone.....another gym rat born........
Hulk strongerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..... ..
So Mitchells weight gain is because he is pregnant?
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012   #13
cj5776
Veteran

Rep Power: 70 cj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Chiles View Post
I thought he had a chance to beat out Cody last year. Shaun played better than I thought he would and kept his job but he is going to have a hard time this year.
Since this is the last year of Cody' contract, it's good to hear that is one FA we do not have to worry about resigning. I'm still a traumatized about this last off-season. If Mithell can step up we can cross Cody off the list.
Old 05-11-2012   #14
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 225351 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj5776 View Post
Since this is the last year of Cody' contract, it's good to hear that is one FA we do not have to worry about resigning. I'm still a traumatized about this last off-season. If Mithell can step up we can cross Cody off the list.
If we dump Cody we just have to find someone else and he is already cheap so what's the point unless it is an obvious upgrade?
Old 05-11-2012   #15
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109004 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
Of course, you have to eat to gain the weight and he says learning to cook a little bit helped him to really pack it on....

My question is....don't the Texans have a team chef? I guess they probably can't send one out to every home. Geez, I know my friend is a serious body builder and had to learn how to bake about 10 chickens a week to keep up his growth. Already at 280, moving up another 20 pounds definitely took some dedication. If he can still run and keep the explosion at 305 he's going to be fierce this season!
They have a RD (registered dietitian) educate the players and help them structure their meals from day 1.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012   #16
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35188 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Very difficult to gain > 20 lbs and still retain the quickness & foot speed of the lighter weight, there's bound to be a tradeoff, and therefor there will be a price exacted at the heavier weight. Lets hope the added weightand hopefully greater strength will more than offset the lost abilities.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012   #17
Big Lou
"NUK-LEAR"

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 19346 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
Very difficult to gain > 20 lbs and still retain the quickness & foot speed of the lighter weight, there's bound to be a tradeoff, and therefor there will be a price exacted at the heavier weight. Lets hope the added weightand hopefully greater strength will more than offset the lost abilities.
This is my concern, I almost posted this earlier. Mitchells "thing" is his speed for a big guy. As long as his quickness doesn't fall off too much, he could have a solid year.
Old 05-11-2012   #18
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18476 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm glad to hear of the added bulk as long as he doesn't lose athleticism in the process or test positive for anything. Also with OTA's and then training camp, I question if he can keep the weight on going into the season. With Cody being a FA after this next season we may see a NT rotation of Mitchell and Fangupo soon.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012   #19
otisbean
All Pro

Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
This is not always the case, if his strength and explosiveness are maintained through training he may not lose much if any thing. As an example, if he deadlifts 550 and power cleans 315 at 285 and those numbers equate to a 4.75 40, if he jumps to a bodyweight of 305 and DLs 625 and cleans 365 he wouldn't lose much on field explosiveness.

If he put on 20 lbs of fat or just gained size in his upper body alone you could see a drop in on field performance

As a side note, it's not uncommon for heavy weight olympic weightlifters and shot putters to run faster 10yd splits than the sprinters.
otisbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012   #20
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 33404 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Earl weighed 296 at the combine and had a 1.56 10 yard split. He should be just fine at 310 and maintaining his speed and quickness.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read