Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 05-10-2012   #1
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 11679 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan
Default USFL to return in 2013

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/79...ikoff-advisers

Quote:
"We will play in markets where there are no NFL teams or major league baseball teams. It's a league for guys who are on the bubble for making NFL teams, and we will have complete open access for the NFL. We want to build a model that is sustainable."

The USFL is looking at a 14-game season from March until June in eight cities. Its players would then be free to join NFL clubs at their training camps.

All player and coach contracts will be owned by the league, with salaries not approaching anything the NFL offers.

Cities currently being considered are Portland, Ore.; Salt Lake City; San Antonio or Austin, Texas; Columbus or Akron, Ohio; Oklahoma City; Omaha, Neb.; Raleigh/Durham, N.C.; Birmingham, Ala.; and Memphis, Tenn.

"These are cities with underutilized facilities at that time of year," Cuadra said.

I didn't exactly know where to put this. Mods move if necessary.
Old 05-10-2012   #2
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: USFL to return in 2013

They should just bring back the Arena League. Seriously, that was always a blast to go to.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012   #3
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 21874 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Damn Albuquerque can't even be considered for the USFL! This town sucks for sports.
Old 05-10-2012   #4
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 53272 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

I dont know why teams do this... Minor league system (a true minor league, like how the NHL and MLB have it) is the way to go. Limit it to rookies or players who are under X age. Make the teams close to their parent team. Boom.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012   #5
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 156516 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

I approve! Semi-pro NFL style football in the offseason. An excellent idea.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012   #6
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 156516 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaayteetx View Post
Damn Albuquerque can't even be considered for the USFL! This town sucks for sports.
I lived in Albuquerque back in the mid 60s. The one thing I remember is looking out past the back yard and seeing a small desert like area with tumble weed bushes, and the other way was the mountains. It was nice. I believe that was in '66, I was a sophmore at Highland High School.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012   #7
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 21874 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected
Wink Re: USFL to return in 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
I lived in Albuquerque back in the mid 60s. The one thing I remember is looking out past the back yard and seeing a small desert like area with tumble weed bushes, and the other way was the mountains. It was nice. I believe that was in '66, I was a sophmore at Highland High School.
Hah, my yard is a desert like area! And the mountains are out east of me, it is beautiful. I live in Rio Rancho, I bet it was nothing when you lived here. Hell, it was nothing just 15-20 years ago, now its the fastest growing city in the state or it was till Intel started downsizing.
Old 05-10-2012   #8
NCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 39211 NCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Agreed! Especially if it's in the Raleigh/Durham area!
NCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012   #9
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109114 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Great, first I learn that the world ends on Dec 21st, 2012 then I find out the USFL is coming back right after that in 2013 as the Anti-league. I pretty much blew off the Mayans till now. With this news just in I just may consider myself a believer now.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012   #10
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52069 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Me 2.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012   #11
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 132624 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default New USFL to return.......

......next spring. Not head-to-head with NFL. Could also be the "developmental league" or at least a nice pool for the NFL.

Quote:
USFL will return next March

April 1, we told you that the USFL is back. We then told you that, no, it’s not an April Fool’s Day gag.

The four-letter football league recently announced that it will return to action next March, with eight teams and a 14-game season.

Hall of Famer Fred Biletnikoff will consult on football operations, according to the Associated Press.

It’s not a revival of the prior league, per se. The name as been purchased and it’s a new operation, with the league itself employing the coaches and the players — and with no effort to compete with the NFL. Instead, the goal is to provide a complementary, developmental, offseason alternative.

And it could work. If it does, however, an enterprising lawyer or two may file a concussion lawsuit on behalf of those who played in the original version of the league.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012   #12
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52069 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: New USFL to return.......

Love the offseason idea, but they SHOULD compete with the NFL by not having a lot of the last 20 or 30 years worth of stupid rules.

Old 05-13-2012   #13
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 132624 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

More info released earlier this year.

Quote:
The new USFL announced today (2/15/2012) that the organization has been acquired by San Diego-based EndZone Sports Management, LLC.

Also announced is their targeted launch in the Spring 2013.

Michael Dwyer, new USFL founder, spoke on the Vegas Unwrapped radio show.

According to Dwyer, the plan is to launch in the Spring 2013 with a minimum of eight teams. The league itself is being run by EndZone Sports Management’s President and C.E.O. Jaime Cuadra. Also involved in the new league is Fred Biletnikoff, C.O.O. and VP of Football Operations.

EndZone plans to announce team locations this Summer.

Dwyer’s role now moves to that of team owner of the USFL’s Los Angeles team. Dwyer is still planning on his team playing at Cal State Fullerton, a detail announced last year on “The Las Vegas Playbook,” the Las Vegas Informer’s former radio show.

Further league-level details on the new league will be the coming from EndZone.

According to the USFL website, theusfl.net, the league has already hired a public relations firm, Crimson Marketing & Public Relations, as well as a social media management company, Brand North.
Here are additional Facts about the NEW USFL.
Old 05-13-2012   #14
pirbroke
All Pro

Rep Power: 7701 pirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respected

cool, If houston or San Antonio gets a team I will be ecstatic.
pirbroke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012   #15
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirbroke View Post
cool, If houston or San Antonio gets a team I will be ecstatic.
Thought I read somewhere that SA (or Austin) is supposed to, but I can't remember where.

Old 05-13-2012   #16
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 88339 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I would like to know sources of players. Just college or ex-NFL, arena guys or walk up wanna be's? Probably all. If used as a development league by NFL it could work. I am not interested in baseball farm clubs so this wouldhave to be a bit more to get my attention.
Old 05-13-2012   #17
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

From above link:
Quote:
There will be no mandates where team owner / operators locate their teams, but expecting to have a nationwide footprint. Desired locations include teams near hubs of collegiate football and in markets that do not have strong professional sports competition in the spring.
Some additional good information about the new league.

Quote:
New USFL is back, this time as 'triple-A spring football league' for NFL

The original United States Football League (USFL) lasted just three seasons, from 1983-1985, and included such notable players as Herschel Walker, Reggie White, Doug Flutie, Jim Kelly, Mike Rozier and Steve Young. Now, a quarter-century later, it's back.

And this time, instead of competing directly with the NFL, the plan is to have the USFL serve as a minor league for players hoping to graduate to the big time. This is the vision of Jaime Cuadra, who has acquired the USFL brand and will serve as president and CEO of what he hopes will be an eight-team league set to begin play next spring in non-NFL cities. Cuadra has hired as a consultant Jim Steeg, the former San Diego Chargers COO, who, for 34 years, also served as the NFL's man in charge of Super Bowls and special events.

"I like the idea a lot," Steeg told the San Diego Union-Tribune's Nick Canepa. "I haven't talked to anyone who thinks the idea sucks. If you truly believe a triple-A spring football league has merit, this is the way to go. It's not meant to compete with the NFL. It will give players the opportunity to develop. There are 3,000 football players and only 1,800 roster spots in the NFL. Particularly with the NFL's new CBA, I think this kind of thing has a different place."

Cuadra understands that trying to take on the NFL is a fool's errand.

"The USFL and UFL did the same thing -- they weren't fiscally responsible," Cuadra said. "The XFL went totally gimmicky. It's not going to work with purists. NFL Europe was a great idea, but costly. We can see the mistakes that have been made and try to avoid them.

"We're going to play in the spring when fans are dying for football. We're going to take players who didn't quite make it to the NFL and develop them -- we're talking anywhere from 1,000 to 1,800 kids and giving them a living wage, $3,000-to-$3,500 per game, and give them unfettered access to the NFL. They will be paid by the league, to keep things under control."

And unlike previous professional football leagues, the new USFL will have an open-door policy with the NFL.

"The NFL can come to practices; if they want one of our players, we aren't going to stop them," Cuadra said.

As Canepa points out, there's still a lot to do. Like finding owners and venues. The early list includes: Akron, Ohio, Portland, San Jose, Salt Lake City, Sacramento, Austin, Texas, Memphis, Raleigh-Durham, N.C., Birmingham, Ala., Omaha, Neb., and Baton Rouge, La.

"I see this as a league that opens doors," Cuadra said. "I see this as a need. I'd give it 75-percent odds that it will fly. I've had other businesses where I was told they weren't going to work. I've had some of that now; I've also had a lot of people tell me it's a good idea."
Old 05-13-2012   #18
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 176794 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Wasn't it Jerry Argovitz who showed up wearing a big ol' mink coat way back when ... ?
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012   #19
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 32978 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
And this time, instead of competing directly with the NFL, the plan is to have the USFL serve as a minor league for players hoping to graduate to the big time.
Quote:
an eight-team league set to begin play next spring in non-NFL cities.
Quote:
"We're going to play in the spring when fans are dying for football.
Yeah, I've had this idea for quite a few years now.

Talking about it 2007 (post) when NFLE shut down and again in 2009 (post).

Don't know why it's taken them so long.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012   #20
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 51471 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

I think its a great idea. I would watch if they were players with NFL potential, that are likely to at least make a practice squad. If its gonna be a bunch of washed up scrubs, it wont have as much appeal to me.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
WINTERFELL - BECAUSE STANNIS BARATHEON PUSHED IT!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read