Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-10-2012   #1
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default 2012 WR depth chart

How do you see it shaking out?

Could go from a weakness to a possible strength. I don't think all the young guys will step up, but I don't think it's far fetched for two of them to do so. Does someone overtake Walter for the number two spot? Can someone step up and take even more reps from him?

Between Jones, Posey and Jean I think Walter needs to step his game up if he wants to keep his reps where theyve been.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012   #2
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2012 WR depth chart

Straight depth chart, I'd say:
1- duh
2- KW
3- Posey
4- Jean
5- Martin

then maybe a 6th guy or someone like Trindon Holliday. Maybe Jeff Maehl or god forbid, Dwight Jones pulls it together makes it. Definitely going to have to play teams, whoever the 6th guy is.

But the flexibility in situations/matchups they have now are far more interesting for me. 2 WR sets, probably going to be AJ and KW, maybe sticking Posey or Jean in for Walter. 3 Wide KW can play slot and be effective while maximizing his blocking. I think Martin is going to make an impact catching over the middle and running but he might also see time flanking out wide in these sets. Idk much about Posey's slot potential but I think he'll be decent outside, the guy I'm really looking for to be #2 is Jean though. One thing for sure is the Texans definitely have the tools to go 4 wide and spread teams out. AJ and Martin on one side, Posey and Jean on the other. I think they lacked that ability last season.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012   #3
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30852 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiak said earlier in the week he'd like to add a 4th QB and another vet WR. We already added a QB so I'd expect us to sign a veteran WR sometime next week. As of right now I see it shaking out like this to start the season.

WR1: AJ
WR2: Walter
WR3: Posey
WR4: Martin/Jean

This is how I see it shaking out though by mid-season

WR1: AJ
WR2: Posey
WR3: Jean
WR4: Martin/Walter

Something just tells me that Walter will fall out of favor this year. We need him to be a consistent threat out there in the passing game and if he's not I can see the kids making a nice impact.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012   #4
Texan in Japan
All Pro

Rep Power: 7197 Texan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respected

1 - AJ
2 - KW
3 - Lestar Jean
4 - Devier Posey
5 - Jeff Maehl or Dwight Jones
6 - Keyshawn Martin

I think 1-2 of UDFA Wrs make the practice squad.

Texan, back in Texas!
Texan in Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012   #5
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I honestly wouldnt be surprised if Walter is an end of pre season cut.

Texans may not want to go that young, but if guys are stepping up its going to be hard to ignore that.

I expect him to be around, but like I said wouldn't be too surprised if he wasn't.

I also think there will be some injuries.
Old 05-10-2012   #6
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30852 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post

Texans may not want to go that young, but if guys are stepping up its going to be hard to ignore that.

I expect him to be around, but like I said wouldn't be too surprised if he wasn't.

Would you rather have Walter or Braylon Edwards here on a 1 year deal? I don't think its possible we go with Dre and the youngsters unless they shine in camp.
Old 05-10-2012   #7
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 88794 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Not only do I not see KW being cut, I see another vet WR being signed before camp.
I just don't see Kubiak going into the season with that much inexperience at the position.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-10-2012   #8
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
Not only do I not see KW being cut, I see another vet WR being signed before camp.
I just don't see Kubiak going into the season with that much inexperience at the position.
Kubiak has already said this week he'd like to sign another vet WR. Its not a very impressive list of guys sitting out there though.
Old 05-10-2012   #9
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23265 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know why everyone is so down on KW, but we're already thin at WR. We can't afford to cut another vet.

Starters are AJ & KW for sure.

Big time battle for the #3 spot between Jean & Posey IMO. I see Posey winning this. Posey's skill set fits that slot receiver position much better.

Jean will replace KW when he takes a series off. I see Maehl as primarily an ST guy, and may not suit up for every game. Martin will be the starting PR, and possibly KR as well.

The reason we can't cut KW is because AJ's health doesn't bode a lot of confidence in me. Can you imagine if they are both out? Can we really rely on Posey & Jean as our starting receivers?
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012   #10
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
Would you rather have Walter or Braylon Edwards here on a 1 year deal? I don't think its possible we go with Dre and the youngsters unless they shine in camp.
I'd rather have who ever is playing the best football.

And I Pretty much said that the youngsters would have to step up for kw to be cut.
Old 05-10-2012   #11
TexansBlood
The CUSH!

Rep Power: 7456 TexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respected

We must sign a veteran WR, we can not have Walters an a rookie as our WR if Dre gets hurt..
TexansBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012   #12
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
He's done it before.

Hell, the ride side of the o line isn't going to have a whole lot of game experience. And if Caldwell is beat out in camp that's even less experience. Did you think they'd cut Winston?

I'm not predicting a kw cut. What I im saying is that I wouldn't be surprised if it happened.

Between casey, od, Arian and Andre the number three receiver might not see a whole lot of balls anyways.

They had kw take a pay cut. What do you think would have happened if he had refused?
Old 05-11-2012   #13
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I'd rather have who ever is playing the best football.

And I Pretty much said that the youngsters would have to step up for kw to be cut.
Understood...... Seeing as we're likely to bring in a vet, I've just been curious as to who they're looking at. We're not known to make a splash receiver wise and the top 3 free agent WR are:

Braylon Edwards
Plaxico Burress
Roy Williams

The rest of the group includes guys like Mike Sims-Walker, Mark Clayton, and some other also-rans I can't think of. My question is are the Texans really going to bring in a guy who can push for legitimate playing time like a Braylon Edwards. Or bring in a guy like Bryant who was just good enough to hang around. The answer to that question would alter my depth chart possibly.

Last edited by Texn4life; 05-11-2012 at 03:48 AM.
Old 05-11-2012   #14
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
Understood...... Seeing as we're likely to bring in to bring in a vet, I've just been curious as to who they're looking at. We're not known to make a splash receiver wise and the top 3 free agent WR are:

Braylon Edwards
Plaxico Burress
Roy Williams

The rest of the group includes guys like Mike Sims-Walker, Mark Clayton, and some other also-rans I can't think of. My question is are the Texans really going to bring in a guy who can push for legitimate playing time like a Braylon Edwards. Or bring in a guy like Bryant who was just good enough to hang around. The answer to that question would alter my depth chart possibly.
Good questions.

I have no clue what they'll do. I don't really know the cap situation and what those guys want either. If we can get a Braylon Edwards or burress for cheap, I say go for it.

But really I'm thinking that every slot behind Aj may be open for competition. I think kw is the heir apparent, but i wouldn't be shocked if they brought in a good vet wr to push him for his role on the team.
Old 05-11-2012   #15
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He's done it before.

Hell, the ride side of the o line isn't going to have a whole lot of game experience. And if Caldwell is beat out in camp that's even less experience. Did you think they'd cut Winston?

I'm not predicting a kw cut. What I im saying is that I wouldn't be surprised if it happened.

Between casey, od, Arian and Andre the number three receiver might not see a whole lot of balls anyways.

They had kw take a pay cut. What do you think would have happened if he had refused?
Thats one of the reasons he is going to be sticking around. Maybe Winston would still be here if he had done the same.

Yeah they changed things up more than most expected on the O-line but the guys behind them are not rookies. Caldwell and Butler are salty vets compared to WRs 3-5 right now. No chance Walter gets cut. Who knows, maybe Kevin can regain his 07/08 form where he looked like a legit #2. Even if he doesn't I do believe he is going to outperform his numbers from last season.
Old 05-11-2012   #16
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Good questions.

I have no clue what they'll do. I don't really know the cap situation and what those guys want either. If we can get a Braylon Edwards or burress for cheap, I say go for it.

But really I'm thinking that every slot behind Aj may be open for competition. I think kw is the heir apparent, but i wouldn't be shocked if they brought in a good vet wr to push him for his role on the team.
If we're really pushing the whole "camp competitions" thing this year then that's exactly what we need to do. What's the point of bringing in another Bryant Johnson or David Anderson if they're not truly pushing guys? I would rather have a young guy at the back end of the receiver rotation than having a vet like Bryant Johnson.

We need a vet to come in a push Kevin Walter to step up his game or kick rocks. No offense to him because I like the guy. I would rather us have 2 veterans starting off the season and then work the younger guys in gradually so obviously I'd like to have KW as the starter the way the roster sits. Plax and Braylon can push Kevin. The problem is cap implications which I have no clue of. I'm sure that's why we'll bring in another run of the mill guy who has no chance of contributing.
Old 05-11-2012   #17
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

1. Andre the beast Johnson
2. Pocket full of Posey
3. Kevin can I get some love Walter
4. Key Shawn my favorite Martin
5. LeStar is born Jean
6. Dwight throw me the damn football TJ Jones

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012   #18
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 21402 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

By midseason, Dwight Jones will be the number two. He has the most potential and great tools. Posey and his crisp route running will be in the slot, and Martin as the four. Jean as the fifth. Walter cut.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012   #19
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

1. AJ
2. KW
3. Posey
4. LeStar Jean
5. Experienced but currently unsigned vet.
6. Keyshawn Martin

I think Dwight Jones is good enough to keep but develops an aggravated hang nail and goes to the full pay IR island for a year so that he's not exposed to other teams by being on the PS list.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012   #20
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 77922 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think that Walter doesn't get cut because he already renegotiated his deal.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read