Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Report: John Beck finds a home with the Texans

Not a terrible signing for a 4th QB. He's familiar with the system since he was with Shanny in Washington.

Business up front, party in the back???
icon_mullet.gif

John-Beck-Mullet.jpg

When I saw Beck released I was thinking the Texans would make him an offer. I think he has a real chance to make the team. Not thinking at this time that he beats out TJ but I can't rule it out. I'm guessing #3 with Case on the Practice Squad....or maybe Case will come down with a terrible hang nail right at cut time. I like the idea of having someone with real NFL experience in that role.

Beck has skills and was a high pick for a reason. Kind of a similar story and fate as Hot Tub Boy.

When I saw Beck released I was thinking the Texans would make him an offer. I think he has a real chance to make the team. Not thinking at this time that he beats out TJ but I can't rule it out. I'm guessing #3 with Case on the Practice Squad....or maybe Case will come down with a terrible hang nail right at cut time. I like the idea of having someone with real NFL experience in that role.

Beck has skills and was a high pick for a reason. Kind of a similar story and fate as Hot Tub Boy.
I did also.

If I had to compare him to anyone... it'd be the strangely close comparison to Sage Rosenfels. Went through both the same teams in Miami and Washington and was never able to capitalize on the train wreck that has been both QB situations the past few years (Ok well maybe Campbell wasn't terrible but, he wasn't good either)

I would think the thought process is at least he played in a similar system run by the Shanny's. He's got some ok physical tools, nothing to write home about. I still laugh at that draft by the Dolphins, Cameron was way in over his head.

When I saw Beck released I was thinking the Texans would make him an offer. I think he has a real chance to make the team. Not thinking at this time that he beats out TJ but I can't rule it out.

Beck was a high pick because he put up big college numbers as a 25 year old senior. He's started a grand total of 7 games in the 5 years he's been in the league. Losing all 7 games. Beck will be 31 by the season opener. 31 and likely out of the league. He's a camp arm who's sorta familiar with the system. If it came time to actually need a QB to suit up, I rather see a 37 year old Delhomme come off the couch.

Beck was a high pick because he put up big college numbers as a 25 year old senior. He's started a grand total of 7 games in the 5 years he's been in the league. Losing all 7 games. Beck will be 31 by the season opener. 31 and likely out of the league. He's a camp arm who's sorta familiar with the system. If it came time to actually need a QB to suit up, I rather see a 37 year old Delhomme come off the couch.

So would I but I don't think he wants to do it anymore.

So would I but I don't think he wants to do it anymore.
I don't think Jake want to go through a training camp in Houston. Who could blame him? But once the regular season begins, and the Texans are in a bind, I could see Delhomme making his way off the couch.

For some reason I'm feeling like it's less and less likely schaub is going to play this up coming season.

I don't think its necessarily a sign that he won't play this season, they're just doing their diligence on getting three arms at least ready for TC.

I do however, share the same concern and thought that he's unlikely to at least start the season and the real repercussions of that for next year.

If Schaub is PUP'd....I do think its likely that his run with the Texans is over. I just don't think you can keep moving forward with a QB that in his six seasons with the franchise has missed considerable time in 4 of them.

For some reason I'm feeling like it's less and less likely schaub is going to play this up coming season.

Why? The Texans have done nothing to bring in thru either the draft of free agency anyone who even resembles a starting QB. If anything their actions point to a belief (which may or my not pan out) that Schaub will be starting.

Got home late, took it easy... should have stayed put that way... but watched Grossman put up 4 INTs against the Eagles... Beck replaced him in the 4th, showed why he's never cut out for the pro game. Epitome of a good college QB that needs the extra 1/4-1/2 sec longer. Can't run in the fast lane.

Wanted to watch the next game... pulled up the game book... saw that the Bills had ten sacks... well, I think I can wait another day... don't think I can stand to watch a massacre this late... err... this early in the morning.

Why? The Texans have done nothing to bring in thru either the draft of free agency anyone who even resembles a starting QB. If anything their actions point to a belief (which may or my not pan out) that Schaub will be starting.

I can't really explain it. It's just a feeling I have.

I've been wrong before, so I'm hoping I'm wrong again.

Maybe, but I don't think they over value it to a fault. It would be disconcerting if they were still bad and this was the case, but I trust them at the moment. :choke:

Also you have to remember that the 3rd and 4th string guy is not going to get as many snaps as Schaub and Yates so it's good for him to have the knowledge of what's going on without having to take those snaps.

Do you guys ever feel like the Texans over value system knowledge?

I don't think they OVER value it but they value it highly.

There aren't a lot of good FA QBs out there right now. I think Dennis Dixon is the best one out there. If they were really worried about Schaub, I think they'd probably have made a play for Dixon (and maybe they did and were rejected, I don't know.) But with Beck, they're saying that TJ is the starter until Matt comes back and they're not throwing the position open.

I think they normally go into camp with 4 QBs. With the expanded roster, I wouldn't be surprised if Schaub gets PUPd and they sign another QB just as a camp arm.

Doubt Houston Texan fans will welcome this signing at all, as it will cut into Case Keenum much needed reps. At least I for one was looking forward to TJ & Case sharing duties in camp to be safe giving Schaub's foot adequate time. Good signing maybe, maybe not even required? Typical professional organizational cover your bases situation. :butterfly:

There aren't a lot of good FA QBs out there right now. I think Dennis Dixon is the best one out there. If they were really worried about Schaub, I think they'd probably have made a play for Dixon (and maybe they did and were rejected, I don't know.) But with Beck, they're saying that TJ is the starter until Matt comes back and they're not throwing the position open.

I think they normally go into camp with 4 QBs. With the expanded roster, I wouldn't be surprised if Schaub gets PUPd and they sign another QB just as a camp arm.

I should have explain a little better. I think the Beck move is a good one. My meaning for example is like last year when the Texans were short handed at WR they bring back DA when better vets were out there. This seems to happen at every position. I do understand if every thing is eqaul go with the devil you know but a lot times it just dont seem equal, hence system knowledge seems to be a heavy factor.

I should have explain a little better. I think the Beck move is a good one. My meaning for example is like last year when the Texans were short handed at WR they bring back DA when better vets were out there. This seems to happen at every position.

They brought in Mason and Bryant, too. And neither of those guys really performed very well. They never seemed to fit in and find their place.

They brought in Mason and Bryant, too. And neither of those guys really performed very well. They never seemed to fit in and find their place.

I having trouble thinking of who was out there at WR but there was a couple solid names that HOU could have signed in 1 yr deals.

I having trouble thinking of who was out there at WR but there was a couple solid names that HOU could have signed in 1 yr deals.

Brandon Llyod was had for a conditional 6th that turned into a 5th is the most prominent name that doesn't have the baggage that Moss or TO has. Braylon Edwards was cut during the season as well. Lee Evans went to Baltimore for a 4th rounder.

Dennis Dickson?

He hasn't done anything...

He's been in the league 3 years and has thrown 1 TD and 2 INT's. He has 59 career pass attempts and 35 career completions.

He looked good in the 2 games he played in last year and he was pretty effiecient, but I don't think you can pin point Dixon as the guy that they'd bring in to be a possible starter or qualified back-up if Schaub weren't healthy. In Dixon's two starts last year he averaged 16 attempts per game. Dixon is still an unknown albeit an unknown with 3 years of experience and AT LEAST babysitting capabilities.

But the Steelers let Dixon go in lieu of Charlie Batch and Leftwhich.

I think right now Keenum has about as good a shot in to be a good QB in this offense as any QB we'd get off the street right now. The thing most of those guys have on him is experience.

Even if the Texans thought Schaub couldn't go I don't know what they'd be able to do besides try to convince Delhomme to come back closer to season's start. There is not a whole lot out there in the way of QB's that you'd want starting on a play-off caliber team.

I'd be surprised if they signed another QB at this point. If they did I think THAT would be the signal that Schaub may be out a bit longer than they've indicated.

If I'm not mistaken I believe we normally only carry 3 QB's in camp through pre-season. Right now we have 4 on the roster which I believe is the most that Kubiak has carried...I could be wrong...Will try to check...

Do you guys ever feel like the Texans over value system knowledge?

How do you mean?

If you're thinking this guy is going to be a meaningful part of this team.... yeah. If they think we need a 4th QB on the roster through the regular season & picked Beck because he is "familiar" then surely that isn't sound thinking.

If you're thinking we picked him up to toss the ball around through camp... then no. Whoever we bring in right now is most likely just a camp arm & the less you have to teach him, the better.

If he impresses, then I feel sorry for Keenum, as that would be the most logical cut. But at the very least, he'll have some preseason time to show the rest of the NFL what he can do & maybe get a gig through the regular season.

Dennis Dickson?

He's been in the league 3 years and has thrown 1 TD and 2 INT's. He has 59 career pass attempts and 35 career completions.

He looked good in the 2 games he played in last year and he was pretty effiecient, but I don't think you can pin point Dixon as the guy that they'd bring in to be a possible starter or qualified back-up if Schaub weren't healthy. In Dixon's two starts last year he averaged 16 attempts per game. Dixon is still an unknown albeit an unknown with 3 years of experience and AT LEAST babysitting capabilities.

But the Steelers let Dixon go in lieu of Charlie Batch and Leftwhich.

I think right now Keenum has about as good a shot in to be a good QB in this offense as any QB we'd get off the street right now. The thing most of those guys have on him is experience.

Not to sound pretentious but I think you just argued his point for him.

If the FO was seriously concerned about Schaub's health wouldn't they be more likely to sign the guy who has shown the ability to at least babysit an offense but hasn't had the opportunity to start over the guy who has had the opportunity and couldn't capitalize?

I know that if I were Smithiack and I was expecting Yates to start the season I'd want to bring in the best competition possible to get the most out of him and wouldn't be bringing in a QB in the twilight of his career.

Not to sound pretentious but I think you just argued his point for him.

If the FO was seriously concerned about Schaub's health wouldn't they be more likely to sign the guy who has shown the ability to at least babysit an offense but hasn't had the opportunity to start over the guy who has had the opportunity and couldn't capitalize?

Not if you thought that the QB that has been in a very similar system would be more beneficial right away.

Part of the reason the liked Yates was because he was already familar with the offense. Part of Keenum's learning curve will be adjusting to this offense.

I know that if I were Smithiack and I was expecting Yates to start the season I'd want to bring in the best competition possible to get the most out of him and wouldn't be bringing in a QB in the twilight of his career.

Dixon has thrown 1 touchdown and 2 INTs in 3 years. None of those TD's came in his two games last year.

If you honestly think Dixon would have been competition for Yates then I don't really know what to say. Yates did more last year than Dixon has done in his three years in the league. In no way shape of form would Dixon have been brought in to push Yates. He would have been competing with Keenum. JMO of course.

Not sure where this inflated view of Dixon is coming from. His own team let him go and kept Byron Leftwich and Charlie Batch. No one has picked him up yet.

The Ravens brought him in to workout with Kyle Boller....

I seriously don't get how signing Dickson would have signaled anything...

Dennis Dickson?

I wasn't saying he was a great QB or anything, I was just saying that of the younger vet QBs out there, he's the best of the lot. He's got some upside and could probably be developed into a starter in the right system.

If I'm not mistaken I believe we normally only carry 3 QB's in camp through pre-season. Right now we have 4 on the roster which I believe is the most that Kubiak has carried...I could be wrong...Will try to check...

You could be right. My memory was that we usually go with 4 guys. There's usually some fringe guy brought in to be a camp arm along with the UDFA (like Zabransky) or later round pick (like Brink) we've got.

If Schaub's not ready for TC, I expect us to grab someone else off the scrap heap just to throw the ball in practice.

Back