Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-09-2012   #21
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not a merci fan, but i think he will get about 5 sacks.

I think barwin is going to be a terror if he stays healthy.

If he goes down I don't really like reed or merciless to bring consistent heat off the edge though I'm expecting reed to be better this year.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012   #22
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 ckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Who will have the most sacks on the Texans in 2012?

We will have two, and possibly three players with double digit sacks come year end. Barwin, Reed, Mercilus, and Watt all have a chance to shine.

I am taking Reed as my darkhorse, because Barwin will get lots of attention and Reed will play more snaps than "he who shows no mercy".

Reed with 18
Barwin with 15
Watt or Mercy-Less with 10
ckhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012   #23
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

My initial thought is Barwin but when I start thinking about it....I start thinking about all the crazy pass rush combos one could design. Here's one:

DBs play man or cover 2
Cushing roams the middle of the field, dropping, spying or blitzing based on what he sees.
Your line....Mercilus, Barwin, Crick, Smith, Watt, Reed, pack the line tight and let loose the dogs of war.

One thing is for sure, you play like that you are either going to swallow offenses whole or get burned. I seriously can't wait to see them send the house at Gabbert heheheeeeee!!!!
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012   #24
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 201178 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

The defense is gonna be awsome this year. It's going to be a lot of fun watching them tear up offensive lines. My guess is Watt or Barwin have the most sacks this year.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012   #25
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick II Draw View Post
Reed or Mercilus, whoever wins the starting WOLB spot
Barwin plays the Will. Reed is the Sam.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012   #26
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 167919 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Barwin ....

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012   #27
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

JJ Watt.

And the rest is NFL history.

He becomes a mega-star in 2012 and every sports merchandise marketing department in the world wants him endorsing their stuff after the season is over. He's got it all: Hard worker, loves to inspire others to dream and work hard, clean cut guy, natural in front of the cameras, on and on and on....
Old 05-09-2012   #28
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 205206 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

I can see Watt being a terror on the DL much like Sapp was during hi sprime years. Like Sapp, however, he just doesn't play the position to be able to put up 18 sacks or something like that. Barwin and Reed/Mercilus do.

I think Watt will be one of the biggest reasons Barwin leads the team, and maybe the AFC, in sacks.
Old 05-09-2012   #29
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 70276 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
When I see that Mercilus had 16 sacks and 9 FF's though, I just cringe at the kinds of plays I'm expecting out of this guy. I just don't see how any other team will have a better pass rush than what the Texans will have.
I agree that Mercilus is going to flourish in Wade's system, and Barwin might even get more sacks. But J.J. Watt is the one that's got me excited. He was just a BEAST during the playoff games, and even though he might not get as many sacks as the linebackers, his disruption of the OL will allow some of those sacks to take place.

After going so many years of watching this team not having an effective pass rush, to finally see them have one just makes all the difference In the world.
Old 05-09-2012   #30
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
I can see Watt being a terror on the DL much like Sapp was during hi sprime years. Like Sapp, however, he just doesn't play the position to be able to put up 18 sacks or something like that. Barwin and Reed/Mercilus do.

I think Watt will be one of the biggest reasons Barwin leads the team, and maybe the AFC, in sacks.
This.

Exactly, this.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012   #31
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 270038 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick II Draw View Post
Reed or Mercilus, whoever wins the starting ... spot
Somebody above mentioned Mercilus being a 1st round pick and the Texans will want to start him. Bunk. I don't think there will even be a competition. You can call it 1st v. 2nd round but he and Reed were only 16 picks apart and Reed has a very successful year under his belt. It's Reed's job and Mercilus will be rotating and providing formation flexibility as a rookie.

Quote:

Yup.
Old 05-09-2012   #32
SteveSlaton20
All Pro

Rep Power: 717 SteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to SteveSlaton20

Barwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
Barwin. He was never fit to be a 4-3 DE. He's really going to blossom into an elite OLB i think this coming year.

I am predicting a 16 sack season.
huh? lol, even in the 3-4, barwin still has his hands down like he'd be in the 4-3, just only on nickel and dime. really doesn't make any sense. oh, and he played in a 4-3 defense in college, so that tells you he can play in both systems.
Old 05-09-2012   #33
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Arian Foster. Someone will discover that he is a sack machine and have him play on D too. Every time someone tries to block him, he will just "cut-back" and run into the QB.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012   #34
VTexan
The Realist

Rep Power: 5502 VTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
JJ Watt.

And the rest is NFL history.

He becomes a mega-star in 2012 and every sports merchandise marketing department in the world wants him endorsing their stuff after the season is over. He's got it all: Hard worker, loves to inspire others to dream and work hard, clean cut guy, natural in front of the cameras, on and on and on....

bottoms up, mate!
VTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012   #35
dinkatoid
Veteran

Rep Power: 628 dinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

As several others have pointed out, Watt is a monster, but his position isn't set up to be a sack machine. He gets them when plays break down, but mostly he helps us clock up running lanes, eats up blockers, and pushes the pocket. Basically, the more of a beast Watt becomes, the better Barwin becomes. I think it will definitely be an OLB that leads the team in sacks.

While we will be rotating OLBs, I figure Barwin sees the most playing time, with the majority of the rotating between Reed and Merciless. However, I do not expect him to have a 16 sack season or anything, due to rotation and the way we rush. I expect it to be a team effort, where Barwin has like 10-12 sacks, Merciless and Reed have like 6-8 each, and then Watt/Smith each have like 4-6. I expect them all to be pretty close together, and then a few guys to get 1-2 each on broken plays.
Old 05-09-2012   #36
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm gonna go with Connor Barwin, because I think Reed and Merc will be rotating together. I know Watt will have a great year and all, but when was the last time a 3-4 DE got a 15 sacks in a year? I think Watt will be a lot like Haloti Ngata, causing disruption and putting pressure on the QB, but not getting a lot of sacks. Ngata's best year for sacks was 5.5, which is what Watt had last year. I see Watt as more of a 5-8 sack guy, who causes a lot of disruption and frees up the OLBs to make the plays on the QB.
Old 05-09-2012   #37
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87061 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
I agree that Mercilus is going to flourish in Wade's system, and Barwin might even get more sacks. But J.J. Watt is the one that's got me excited. He was just a BEAST during the playoff games, and even though he might not get as many sacks as the linebackers, his disruption of the OL will allow some of those sacks to take place.

After going so many years of watching this team not having an effective pass rush, to finally see them have one just makes all the difference In the world.
I know man, it's crazy to think that we're going into the season knowing without a doubt that we'll have a top 3 pass rush in the league. I'm thinking #1 for sure at this point honestly. It's just a matter of how great these guys will be and how many sacks at the end of the year. We had so many years with such a complete lack luster pass rush even with Mario on this team, and now we've got a group of Barbarians foaming at the mouth to hit the QB. I love it!!!!

The question in the title of this thread is really a pretty tough one, because it could be one of several guys.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012   #38
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

One day when Watt is President Of Football, because of his 21-sack season in 2012, he and I will remember this slight you have made here.

I, as his Director of Punishment, will search this thread and mete out the proper discipline. And there will be no appeals process.
Old 05-09-2012   #39
VTexan
The Realist

Rep Power: 5502 VTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
One day when Watt is President Of Football, because of his 21-sack season in 2012, he and I will remember this slight you have made here.

I, as his Director of Punishment, will search this thread and mete out the proper discipline. And there will be no appeals process.
it appears we are injecting it straight into his system!
VTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012   #40
2slik4u
All Pro

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 11791 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
Barwin. He was never fit to be a 4-3 DE. He's really going to blossom into an elite OLB i think this coming year.

I am predicting a 16 sack season.
And then we will let him walk and draft his replacement...

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read