Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-08-2012   #1
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101274 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Who will have the most sacks on the Texans in 2012?

My vote is on Mercilous (I can't spell that name) if he gets enough playing time. This guy looks like a hell of a player and I think that he'll bust his ass for playing time and to stay on the field. Having this guy is waaaaaayyy better than an ego filled Mario with a ton of cash in his pocket. I'm excited to see what this rookie can do.

Now if he doesn't get enough playing time, my money is on Barwin.

What are your thoughts?
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012   #2
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 23300 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316
Default Re: Who will have the most sacks on the Texans in 2012?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
My vote is on Mercilous (I can't spell that name) if he gets enough playing time. This guy looks like a hell of a player and I think that he'll bust his ass for playing time and to stay on the field. Having this guy is waaaaaayyy better than an ego filled Mario with a ton of cash in his pocket. I'm excited to see what this rookie can do.

Now if he doesn't get enough playing time, my money is on Barwin.

What are your thoughts?
Why even bring Mario up?

I'll go Barwin tho.
Old 05-08-2012   #3
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101274 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaShark316 View Post
Why even bring Mario up?

I'll go Barwin tho.
Because our new guy will be playing a similar role here and we just lost Mario and drafted his replacement basically. I love it as well, because Mario was never fully motivated here being the big bad hoss that he was touted as, and now we've got a new young stud with tons of potential who is going to be busting his ass for playing time in a rotation with a few other killers and that's a great situation for a young rook to feel like he has something to prove.

I almost went Barwin, but I think that Watt can keep making strides as well. It's really a toss up when you try to decide out of Barwin or Watt. Tomorrow I could change my pick to Barwin if I wasn't going with the rookie from the start.
Old 05-08-2012   #4
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

I will say Keenum! Seriously, Barwin.

Go Texans!!!
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012   #5
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 282115 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

One of these guys:

Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012   #6
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 23300 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
One of these guys:

Well, if the dude on the left has any say, it won't be Mercilus or the Ninja.
Old 05-08-2012   #7
ThaShark316

Quote:
Because our new guy will be playing a similar role here and we just lost Mario and drafted his replacement basically. I love it as well, because Mario was never fully motivated here being the big bad hoss that he was touted as, and now we've got a new young stud with tons of potential who is going to be busting his ass for playing time in a rotation with a few other killers and that's a great situation for a young rook to feel like he has something to prove.

I almost went Barwin, but I think that Watt can keep making strides as well. It's really a toss up when you try to decide out of Barwin or Watt. Tomorrow I could change my pick to Barwin if I wasn't going with the rookie from the start.
When you think about it, Mercilus isn't a bad pick at all. After what we saw from Aldon Smith and Von Miller, you REALLY can't help but think "hmmm, maybe we got THAT guy, too!"

Watt is going to have quite a bit of "holy ****, he's killing their OL" type of games. He started rolling once he started to get it down the stretch.
Old 05-08-2012   #8
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaShark316 View Post
When you think about it, Mercilus isn't a bad pick at all. After what we saw from Aldon Smith and Von Miller, you REALLY can't help but think "hmmm, maybe we got THAT guy, too!"

Watt is going to have quite a bit of "holy ****, he's killing their OL" type of games. He started rolling once he started to get it down the stretch.
The way I see it, we have all this talent in the pass rushing department now that it has to bring hell to offensive teams. With Barwin, Smith, Watt, Mercilus, Reed, and Cushing, these guys are going to be competing big time to stay on the field. These guys will be doing everything to earn their right to stay on the field, and opposing offenses are going to have to deal with it. Lol!

When I see that Mercilus had 16 sacks and 9 FF's though, I just cringe at the kinds of plays I'm expecting out of this guy. I just don't see how any other team will have a better pass rush than what the Texans will have.
Old 05-08-2012   #9
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Barwin.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012   #10
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Barwin, in his contract year!

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012   #11
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Good point that I had forgotten about. I'll change my pick from Watt to Barwin already. Lol!!

I still got the Rook if he gets enough playing time though.
Old 05-08-2012   #12
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
this and following year we will draft another olb
Old 05-08-2012   #13
dc_txtech 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 51562 dc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respected

Barwin is probably the safe bet but I'm gonna go with Mercilus. That's a Wade pick all the way and Wade will make sure he shines. The Texans historically want first round picks to start game one and Mercilus is in a good position to do that at OLB, not a lot of thinking just go get em.

It's also going to depend a lot on who's getting the most snaps at DE in four man fronts, those 3rd and longs make for plenty of sack opportunities.

This thread needs a poll.
Old 05-08-2012   #14
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253531 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Good point that I had forgotten about. I'll change my pick from Watt to Barwin already. Lol!!

I still got the Rook if he gets enough playing time though.
lol.

You just called Mercilus Watt.

I'm going to go with Barwin. But I'd love for Mercilus to have an insane rookie season.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012   #15
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
lol.

You just called Mercilus Watt.

I'm going to go with Barwin. But I'd love for Mercilus to have an insane rookie season.
Man, I had a long day at work. Lol!

I meant to say Watt at the beginning if Mercilus didn't get enough playing time. I forgot that it was a contract year though, so I've got to go with Barwin now.
Old 05-08-2012   #16
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll say Barwin. The improvement he made between his rookie year, getting injured and then jumping into the 3-4 was huge. I think he is poised to become one of the elite OLBs in the league.
Old 05-08-2012   #17
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Barwin. He was never fit to be a 4-3 DE. He's really going to blossom into an elite OLB i think this coming year.

I am predicting a 16 sack season.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012   #18
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
Barwin. He was never fit to be a 4-3 DE. He's really going to blossom into an elite OLB i think this coming year.

I am predicting a 16 sack season.
I'll go 1 sack. Price is Right rules apply! No one better guess 2 sacks...
Old 05-09-2012   #19
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23265 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

This is a very good question going into this season, with a lot of possible answers.

1) Connor Barwin - Should be the popular pick, because he plays the SOLB position. The position that rushes the QB the most in Wade's defense, not to mention he lead the team in sacks last season.

2) JJ Watt - Another excellent pick, as he really picked up his game towards the end of the season... and really made a name for himself. IMO, he's the most talented player in our front 7.

3) Brooks Reed - He's a bit raw and started sooner than the Texans hoped. But towards the end of the season, especially in the playoffs, he started to really pick it up. With Barwin and Watt getting all of the attention, he'll be the guy there to clean up.

4) Whitney Mercilus - They drafted him too high to sit on the bench, but I really don't know where they'll play him? He's a gifted pass rusher with a relentless motor. If Brooks struggles early, I can see Mercilus becoming the starter. I trust Wade will somehow find a way to get him on the field.

Then there's Cush and Antonio, but I expect them to have a 5-6 sack season.

IMO, I see it going down to Barwin having the most sacks at the end of the season, followed by Watt, Mercilus, then Brooks.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012   #20
Quick II Draw
Veteran

Rep Power: 2095 Quick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respected

Reed or Mercilus, whoever wins the starting WOLB spot
Quick II Draw is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read