Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-10-2012   #61
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 62987 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kubiak wants to add fourth QB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
What about the possibility that Keenum plays well enough to earn his way onto the squad?
If I thought that might happen, I would have included it in my comment. Keep in mind that you're dealing with somebody with PS eligibility, and a backup QB who's entering his second season, and his first regular off-season. I think if Beck turns out to be horrible (absolutely possible), Kubiak will look to add another "experienced" QB from wherever he can find them (Other team's cuts, coaxing Delhomme out of retirement, or even bringing back Jeff Garcia).

This doesn't mean I don't think Case could possibly play well in preseason - I think he could play very well. It just means I think it's virtually impossible that he plays well enough to cause another NFL team to want to add him to their 53 man roster. Every team in the NFL already passed on the opportunity to add him to their 90 man roster several times. I just don't see any realistic scenario where he changes that perception during whatever playing time he gets in 4 preseason games.
Old 05-10-2012   #62
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
This doesn't mean I don't think Case could possibly play well in preseason - I think he could play very well. It just means I think it's virtually impossible that he plays well enough to cause another NFL team to want to add him to their 53 man roster. Every team in the NFL already passed on the opportunity to add him to their 90 man roster several times. I just don't see any realistic scenario where he changes that perception during whatever playing time he gets in 4 preseason games.
I think Case could last on our practice squad, but I'm not going to totally dismiss that fact that he could play well in pre-season and earn his way onto the roster.

That has nothing to do with another team taking him off of our practice squad. If he plays too well to be cut then he plays too well to be cut.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012   #63
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 68162 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
Get a haircut dude!

Typical "I can fix him" mentality here. Beck is what he is. Nothing more than our 3rd string QB. I hope he has had alot of practice at holding the clip board. Cause he is gonna be doing alot of that here in Houston.

I think Schaub will be ready game 1. We will rush him back to make sure we get some early W's against the Fins and Jags. Then we get into a tough stretch.
Not that John Beck is some great QB, but I doubt Kubiak is saying "I can fix him" he's probably saying "Yeah he can throw a football at training camp, whoopty doo".
Old 05-15-2012   #64
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 ckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Not that John Beck is some great QB, but I doubt Kubiak is saying "I can fix him" he's probably saying "Yeah he can throw a football at training camp, whoopty doo".
He has also spent time with the Skins, so should know the system. Not a bad fall-back for a third stringer if needed, or even a back-up if Case isn't ready.
ckhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012   #65
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 68162 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhouston View Post
He has also spent time with the Skins, so should know the system. Not a bad fall-back for a third stringer if needed, or even a back-up if Case isn't ready.
Should, but I think expecting John Beck to be anything more than a camp arm is setting yourself up to be disappointed. There will be more attractive QB's available near the end of pre season.
Old 05-15-2012   #66
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
Typical "I can fix him" mentality here.
Nope.

Quote:
Yep.

--------------------------

Beck knows the system, which means Kubiak and coaches can spend time helping Yates and let Beck be there for Keenum. Beck has a snowball's chance in hell of being the Texans QB, though last season taught us that 3rd string QBs might actually be called upon if things get weird in a hurry. The crux of what I am saying is that this comes down to time management by Kubiak & Co.

Look, Beck was not signed to be a project for Kubiak. He did that with David Carr and I'm sure he's not going to try and help Beck become better. All he wants Beck to do is this: Take snaps, run the plays with 2nd and 3rd teamers in OTAs and camp, and be there for a guy like Keenum who needs a spare QB (Beck) to help him learn it quickly.

Yates will be busy running 1st team reps, so he doesn't have time to mentor Keenum nearly as much as Beck will be able to mentor Keenum. Beck's number 1 job, IMO, is to show Keenum the ropes of the offense. Yates doesn't need to worry about investing into Keenum. Yates needs to worry about becoming Schaub's potential replacement for week 1 IF Schaub is not back by then.

I swear to gawd that somebody is going to parse that statement above and use it against me, the part about Schaub maybe not being back by week 1, that I can FEEL it before it even happens. All I mean is that it's poor people/player/time management for Kubiak to expect Keenum to learn 100% under Yates and Kubiak. Yates himself is still learning it, and he might be QB1 in week 1. And so it makes sense for Kubiak and Dennison and other assistants to pour their time and energy into Yates and then use Beck and portions of their own time to invest into Keenum.

Beck is nothing more than Keenum's training wheels. IMO.
Old 05-15-2012   #67
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Nope.

Yep.

--------------------------

Beck knows the system, which means Kubiak and coaches can spend time helping Yates and let Beck be there for Keenum. Beck has a snowball's chance in hell of being the Texans QB, though last season taught us that 3rd string QBs might actually be called upon if things get weird in a hurry. The crux of what I am saying is that this comes down to time management by Kubiak & Co.

Look, Beck was not signed to be a project for Kubiak. He did that with David Carr and I'm sure he's not going to try and help Beck become better. All he wants Beck to do is this: Take snaps, run the plays with 2nd and 3rd teamers in OTAs and camp, and be there for a guy like Keenum who needs a spare QB (Beck) to help him learn it quickly.

Yates will be busy running 1st team reps, so he doesn't have time to mentor Keenum nearly as much as Beck will be able to mentor Keenum. Beck's number 1 job, IMO, is to show Keenum the ropes of the offense. Yates doesn't need to worry about investing into Keenum. Yates needs to worry about becoming Schaub's potential replacement for week 1 IF Schaub is not back by then.

I swear to gawd that somebody is going to parse that statement above and use it against me, the part about Schaub maybe not being back by week 1, that I can FEEL it before it even happens. All I mean is that it's poor people/player/time management for Kubiak to expect Keenum to learn 100% under Yates and Kubiak. Yates himself is still learning it, and he might be QB1 in week 1. And so it makes sense for Kubiak and Dennison and other assistants to pour their time and energy into Yates and then use Beck and portions of their own time to invest into Keenum.

You hate Matt Schaub.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-15-2012   #68
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 200326 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I agree with most of what you said but I don't quite agree with this.

Beck isn't going to be spending time with Keenum, teaching him the offense. Sure, he'll be able to answer some questions but that's not his real function. His function is to throw the ball to guys like Dwight Jones and hand off to Davin Megget without the coaching staff having to spend time teaching him the plays. They're not going to want some washout from Washington to come here and teach someone the WRONG way to do things.

The coaches will teach Yates and Keenum. Yates will get most of the teaching, Beck will get whatever he needs to basically run the scout team, and Keenum will get the rest of the teaching. If any QB is going to be spending time with Keenum and helping him with nuances of the offense, it's Schaub.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012   #69
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Should, but I think expecting John Beck to be anything more than a camp arm is setting yourself up to be disappointed. There will be more attractive QB's available near the end of pre season.
If schaub is not ready at the beginning of season, beck is your number two.

Keenum will likely be #3 regardless of what happens.

As far as more attractive qb's being available? Maybe, maybe not.

There are some decent options out there right now.
Old 05-15-2012   #70
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I agree with most of what you said but I don't quite agree with this.

Beck isn't going to be spending time with Keenum, teaching him the offense. Sure, he'll be able to answer some questions but that's not his real function. His function is to throw the ball to guys like Dwight Jones and hand off to Davin Megget without the coaching staff having to spend time teaching him the plays. They're not going to want some washout from Washington to come here and teach someone the WRONG way to do things.

The coaches will teach Yates and Keenum. Yates will get most of the teaching, Beck will get whatever he needs to basically run the scout team, and Keenum will get the rest of the teaching. If any QB is going to be spending time with Keenum and helping him with nuances of the offense, it's Schaub.
Yes, his primary function is a camp arm to run reps with rookies (maybe) and UDFAs (for sure)...but he will also be a heavier component to Keenum's introduction to the system than Yates will be. It's not that Beck is a master at it, nor a good example of the goal to reach for Keenum, but what I meant is that he knows the terminology and the ins and outs of it.

Kubiak and Co. will definitely spend time with Keenum, but out on the field when the bullets start flying...I would envision Keenum

I think that might be a better way of saying it.

Quote:

I actually think there's a possibility of that...which is why it is CRUCIAL that Keenum gets learned up real fast this summer. REAL fast. In no way do we want Beck as QB2 going into the season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
You hate Matt Schaub.
LOL. You caught me. Guilty as charged.

Last edited by GP; 05-15-2012 at 02:05 PM.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012   #71
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I actually think there's a possibility of that...which is why it is CRUCIAL that Keenum gets learned up real fast this summer. REAL fast. In no way do we want Beck as QB2 going into the season.
If Yates is #1 going into the season, beck will have to be awful to get surpassed by Keenum. Just based on the past I dont think Keenum gets enough reps to show he is definitely a better option. And that's just not how kubiak rolls. He likes vets in that #2 qb spot.

I think Keenum will probably make the roster, but I think he's number three to start off either way.

If schaub is healthy beck is out (unless he plays really well; unlikely) if schaub is out to start I think beck (or maybe some other vet out there will be number 2).
Old 05-15-2012   #72
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 200326 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If Yates is #1 going into the season, beck will have to be awful to get surpassed by Keenum. Just based on the past I dont think Keenum gets enough reps to show he is definitely a better option. And that's just not how kubiak rolls. He likes vets in that #2 qb spot.

I think Keenum will probably make the roster, but I think he's number three to start off either way.

If schaub is healthy beck is out (unless he plays really well; unlikely) if schaub is out to start I think beck (or maybe some other vet out there will be number 2).
Yep. This is exactly what I said a couple of weeks ago except we hadn't signed Beck, yet.

I expect us to sign another vet QB. I expect the real QB battle in Camp to be between those two vets. And if Schaub makes it back, they're both out. If Schaub doesn't make it back, the vet backs up TJ with Case as the #3 guy until Schaub does come back, at which point the Vet is out.

If everything goes the way Smithiak wants it to, I think they want to start the season with Schaub backed up by TJ and Case.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012   #73
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Yep. This is exactly what I said a couple of weeks ago except we hadn't signed Beck, yet.

I expect us to sign another vet QB. I expect the real QB battle in Camp to be between those two vets. And if Schaub makes it back, they're both out. If Schaub doesn't make it back, the vet backs up TJ with Case as the #3 guy until Schaub does come back, at which point the Vet is out.

If everything goes the way Smithiak wants it to, I think they want to start the season with Schaub backed up by TJ and Case.
All of that would be the logical way they go about it.

Now let's see if Kubiak gets cute. Aggies are hard to box in.
Old 05-15-2012   #74
GP 
Go Texans!

Watch us add Donovan McNabb as that extra veteran QB. LOL.

He spent at least what, 1 or 2 years in Shanahan's offense in D.C.?

Before people say I'm dumb, just remember that Beck is not exactly a world-beater either. It could happen.
Old 05-15-2012   #75
b0ng
Ooops

Quote:

As far as more attractive qb's being available? Maybe, maybe not.

There are some decent options out there right now.
I think if Schaub is not ready by the begining of the season, they take a hard look at guys who just barely missed out on the final 53 cuts at the end of preseason.

Knowing the system will be important for camp so he can throw properly to the new WR's right out of the box, but as far as keeping him for game day emergency they might look at a more veteran player that didn't make it out of other teams camps.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read