Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-07-2012   #1
alphajoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4560 alphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Derrell Smith, a linebacker on the Texans’ practice squad in 2011, is moving to FB

Meh, it's offseason news.

http://blog.houstontexans.com/2012/0...r-to-fullback/
alphajoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012   #2
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253530 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Derrell Smith, a linebacker on the Texans’ practice squad in 2011, is moving to F

Well, at least it's something new.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012   #3
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 63721 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Derrell Smith, a linebacker on the Texans’ practice squad in 2011, is moving to F

Old 05-07-2012   #4
alphajoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4560 alphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroGSXR View Post
lmao...awesome
alphajoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012   #5
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Interesting.

I'm still thinking we could bring in a vet fb late like we did with vickers.

I'm still kinda upset we didn't get Diehl and he ended up with the steelers.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012   #6
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

More interesting to me is that Casey is ahead of Graham on the TE depth chart. I figured as much, Kubes just confirmed it.

“He’s going to play everywhere,” Texans coach Gary Kubiak said on Monday at the Texans Charity Golf Classic presented by Verizon. "He's our starting fullback today; he's our starting Tiger today if we go to two tights (tight ends), so James is going to play all over the place. It’s still about versatility with James, so that really hasn’t changed.”
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012   #7
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 63828 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroGSXR View Post
This may have to become my new avatar... awesomeness.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-07-2012   #8
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allstar View Post
More interesting to me is that Casey is ahead of Graham on the TE depth chart. I figured as much, Kubes just confirmed it.

“He’s going to play everywhere,” Texans coach Gary Kubiak said on Monday at the Texans Charity Golf Classic presented by Verizon. “He’s our starting fullback today; he’s our starting Tiger today if we go to two tights (tight ends), so James is going to play all over the place. It’s still about versatility with James, so that really hasn’t changed.”
Damn. Looks like Casey will be playing a lot.
Old 05-07-2012   #9
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Damn. Looks like Casey will be playing a lot.
Which I hope is a good thing...
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012   #10
Rey
Hall of Fame

I think the texans might end up doing something unorthodox with the roster spots.

No "true" fb on the roster. Lots of tweener type guys. Third rb spot up for grabs.
Old 05-07-2012   #11
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 195074 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

It's interesting to see how HT.com lists him at 6'2" 232#, when at his pro day at Syracuse he was listed at 6' 244# and at the Combine at 6' 243#(where he was describe as having a "thick build"). These latter stats were called out at most all of his draft profiles. With those stats, he would definitely fall into a FB physique. He could have been made to reduce his weight when he joined the Texans, but I seriously doubt that he was made to lose 2" height...........at least, not very successfully.

BTW. He only managed 17 at the bench. Not so good for a potential FB. Maybe, the Texans have worked with him at that.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012   #12
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 249059 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybe they want a FB that doesn't do anything but block and make him concentrate on that. Not every FB can be as good as Vonta Leach, who probably spoiled us at that position. In all likely hood, we won't see another Vonta Leach for a long while.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012   #13
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253530 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Maybe they want a FB that doesn't do anything but block and make him concentrate on that. Not every FB can be as good as Vonta Leach, who probably spoiled us at that position. In all likely hood, we won't see another Vonta Leach for a long while.
He's got to catch the damned football. Vickers costing us the Raiders game last year still sticks sideways in my throat.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012   #14
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 249059 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
He's got to catch the damned football. Vickers costing us the Raiders game last year still sticks sideways in my throat.
Yeah, that still pisses me off as well. Vickers is no Leach. Casey is the closet we have to an all around FB, but I guess they want him on TE this year.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012   #15
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Texans tried to convert Jon Abbate from LB to FB in the past. Unfortunately, didn't work out. Hope, this one works out.

Go Texans!!!
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012   #16
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 82342 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Tell me. That happened just 20 or so yds from where my wife were sitting (the last play of the game was literally right in front of us). I'd been telling her all game that us not making first downs were going to cost us this game to an inferior team. When Vickers dropped that softball lob I came unglued! She was telling me I was going to get us thrown out. I told her if that's the case they'll have to clear the whole damned house!

We all know what happened after that and the final score.

Though I didn't get to meet GP and his bride I felt bad for them to have traveled that far, plane rides, rental car, pouring rain on the tailgate and alla that just to see that display.

Was not a good day for the Texans but am glad they were able to shake it.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012   #17
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 195074 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Yeah, that still pisses me off as well. Vickers is no Leach. Casey is the closet we have to an all around FB, but I guess they want him on TE this year.
Casey is not a blocking FB in the mold of a Leach. No doubt, he is versatile. But he does not have that brute force needed at that position. He will not physically stand up to a full season if he is made to play that role even for 50% of the time. I have no doubt that repeatedly attempting to do what he is not built to do was what heavily contributed if not directly caused his season-ending pectoralis tear. If Kubiak insists on trying to prove himself right, he should prepare a padded rocking chair on the sideline to afford Casey a good and comfortable view of the field for at least part of the season.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012   #18
SteveSlaton20
All Pro

Rep Power: 717 SteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to SteveSlaton20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allstar View Post

“He’s going to play everywhere,” Texans coach Gary Kubiak said on Monday at the Texans Charity Golf Classic presented by Verizon. "He's our starting fullback today; he's our starting Tiger today if we go to two tights (tight ends), so James is going to play all over the place. It’s still about versatility with James, so that really hasn’t changed.”
why is this surprising? casey played TE his first two seasons, didn't play much though, and then moved down to FB the next(last season), even tho he played some TE last year. Graham only has one career catch compare to Casey's 32.

Casey is going to be exciting to watch next season.
Old 05-09-2012   #19
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Is it just me or are the Texans thinking outside the box a whole lot recently.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012   #20
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90711 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Is it just me or are the Texans thinking outside the box a whole lot recently.
Really? Nothing they haven't tried before.

John Abbate anyone?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read