Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-07-2012   #1
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected
Default What to Expect from Keshawn Martin and LaVon Brazill's Rookie Years

After months of media hype, the NFL draft is over, and fans finally have new members of their team to welcome to town.

Expectations for draft picks are high, but are they too high?

Over the course of the next few weeks, "What to Expect" will examine every draft pick from the AFC South in its historical context. Using past performances from similarly drafted players and by examining the way in which each team develops certain positions, I will create a realistic baseline by which to judge the performance of each pick.

Readers should be aware that rookies historically perform much, much worse than fan expectations.

Also keep in mind that I am not saying the player will perform to these expectations, but rather anything better than the results should be considered a successful rookie year, and anything worse would be a disappointment.

These are not predictions. They are baselines.

Today we move on to the late-round wideouts. The Texans took wideout/kick returner Keshawn Martin in the late fourth round, and Indianapolis added LaVon Brazill in the sixth. Despite nearly 80 picks between them, the profile for both players is similar.

Since 2005, there have been 86 wideouts taken in rounds four through six. Fifteen of them (17%) never played a down in the NFL. The best of the bunch was Mike Williams of Tampa who posted 65 catches for 964 yards and 11 scores his rookie year. He is a huge outlier, however.

Only four players had at least 40 catches. Only 19 had at least 20. The odds of a guy not making the roster at all are close to the odds that he'll have a 20 catch season.

Only 10 receivers had more than two touchdowns.

Of the 86 players taken, 44 had two or fewer catches in their rookie year.

Roughly half of the players taken ran back kicks at some point. Players like Steve Breaston, Johnny Knox and Pierre Garcon were in this category. Many of the returners were very successful, and ten of them ran back kicks for scores in their first year.

Both the Texans and Colts have had recent success with wideouts and returners in the middle rounds. Indianapolis snagged Austin Collie and Pierre Garcon there recently, and if you go way back, Indianapolis legend Bill Brooks was a fourth-round pick. Jerome Mathis made a Pro Bowl for the Texans as a returner after being selected in round four.

Summary

When a team takes a receiver/returner in the middle to late rounds, there is a good chance the player isn't going to make the team. The 'bust factor' is extraordinarily high for players in this range.

That's not to say there aren't some big names on this list. Austin Collie, Brandon Marshall, Mike Thomas, Pierre Garcon and Johnny Knox all came from this range. In all, there have been five Pro Bowlers taken in this range since 2005, mostly kick returners.

If Brazill or Martin become full-time kick returners they have a chance to do very well. As wideouts, if either one of them winds up with a 20 catch, 300 yard, 1 touchdown season, they'll be in the upper quarter of players taken in that range.

A more realistic expectation would be 10 catches, 100 yards, and no scores. Even those modest numbers put them in the top half of mid to late-round wideouts.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...s-rookie-years
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012   #2
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What to Expect from Keshawn Martin and LaVon Brazill's Rookie Years

I have little expectation of Martin other than he replaces Jacoby as or punt returner and maybe kickoff returner too, and that he makes sure Trindon Holliday stays off the roster.

Posey is supposed to be a WR3 at the least, and a WR2 at best. He has to be good or it was a busted pick...but also got us Jared Crick so maybe that's the fallback plan if Posey busts.

From what people say about Posey, and from what I read about him in Texans articles...they all think he has the goods. So IMO, he's a bust if he doesn't produce early and often.
Old 05-07-2012   #3
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

My expectation would be based upon our player in our system/coaches. Comparing to another might be fun & interesting but not very helpful. For example, Demeco Ryans in Philly's system would have much higher expectations than if he had remained in Texans system.

Concerning rookie draft picks it is even harder to evaluate. Texans had a huge need at WR2 but traded out and down to get "their"guy Posey. Fair or not, I will have expectations of him being as good as a 2nd round receiver. If he performs as they expect then he is even a better deal at lower round. See Arian Foster....
Old 05-07-2012   #4
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

The production of the players will depend on how the Texans want to run their offense this year.

If they continue to thrive for balance between the running game and the passing game, there will be fewer opportunities for the receivers.

Also, until the opponents can stop Foster and Tate out of the backfield, the RBs will see plenty of passes thrown their way.

The Texans may also spread the ball to OD, Graham, and Casey.

If AJ remains healthy, he will need the ball in his hands to make play.

There are so many factors involved.

What is more realistic, IMO, is to see whether Posey can get open (even when the ball isn't thrown his way), or whether he can keep the defense a little more honest with a few deep routes (again, even if the ball isn't thrown his way).
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012   #5
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222469 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

This kinda fits in with something I saw when I ran numbers for receivers and where they were mocked vs. where they were actually drafted and how successful they were.

In general, the later a guy is selected in the real draft, the worse he performs. There are exceptions but it fits as a general rule. The real draft and the mock drafts have the same players for the most part but the real drafters are better at predicting how productive they're actually going to be.

Because of this year's depth at WR, I think we'll see more productivity into the later rounds with this year's class.

But like most here, I expect more WR production from Posey (and possibly Jones) than Martin. But I expect Martin to be our PR and possibly KR.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012   #6
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
This kinda fits in with something I saw when I ran numbers for receivers and where they were mocked vs. where they were actually drafted and how successful they were.

In general, the later a guy is selected in the real draft, the worse he performs. There are exceptions but it fits as a general rule. The real draft and the mock drafts have the same players for the most part but the real drafters are better at predicting how productive they're actually going to be.

Because of this year's depth at WR, I think we'll see more productivity into the later rounds with this year's class.

But like most here, I expect more WR production from Posey (and possibly Jones) than Martin. But I expect Martin to be our PR and possibly KR.
If he can do that well, he is worth his pick; special teams and occasional passes is gravy for de chicken.
Old 05-07-2012   #7
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
My expectation would be based upon our player in our system/coaches. Comparing to another might be fun & interesting but not very helpful. For example, Demeco Ryans in Philly's system would have much higher expectations than if he had remained in Texans system.

Concerning rookie draft picks it is even harder to evaluate. Texans had a huge need at WR2 but traded out and down to get "their"guy Posey. Fair or not, I will have expectations of him being as good as a 2nd round receiver. If he performs as they expect then he is even a better deal at lower round. See Arian Foster....
Playoff's article isn't talking about Posey though, its talking about Martin in the 4th. TBH, if he does get 10 catches/100 yards then we just got better at WR, because the guy he's replacing is named Bryant Johnson.

If Martin comes in and gives us that and some value on ST's as a rookie under Kubiak, than maybe we've got something we can work with later down the line, because Kube's doesn't like to throw them out there early (something he needs to get over with Posey, we need him to be at least #3 game 1, and need to look to him to make KW the slot receiver he's built to be by the end of the season).
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-07-2012   #8
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33836 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

I do not really make comparisons it just depends on their attitude going in.
Old 05-07-2012   #9
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 103549 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
I have little expectation of Martin other than he replaces Jacoby as or punt returner and maybe kickoff returner too, and that he makes sure Trindon Holliday stays off the roster.

Posey is supposed to be a WR3 at the least, and a WR2 at best. He has to be good or it was a busted pick...but also got us Jared Crick so maybe that's the fallback plan if Posey busts.

From what people say about Posey, and from what I read about him in Texans articles...they all think he has the goods. So IMO, he's a bust if he doesn't produce early and often.
If Crick can play WR also, he will be a hell of a steal!
Old 05-07-2012   #10
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222469 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
If Crick can play WR also, he will be a hell of a steal!
He's very athletic for a big man.
Old 05-07-2012   #11
VTexan
The Realist

Rep Power: 7912 VTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Going to be bold here and say that Dwight Jones will be the best receiver we got from this draft.
VTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012   #12
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh texan View Post
Playoff's article isn't talking about Posey though, its talking about Martin in the 4th. TBH, if he does get 10 catches/100 yards then we just got better at WR, because the guy he's replacing is named Bryant Johnson.

If Martin comes in and gives us that and some value on ST's as a rookie under Kubiak, than maybe we've got something we can work with later down the line, because Kube's doesn't like to throw them out there early (something he needs to get over with Posey, we need him to be at least #3 game 1, and need to look to him to make KW the slot receiver he's built to be by the end of the season).
I was using Posey as an example of how I evaluate. I expect more from a 3rd than I do a 4th but with Posey I expect more as I said "fair or not" because of Smith's decision to trade down to fill a need. The bolded is exactly what I said about Martin.
Old 05-07-2012   #13
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTexan View Post
Going to be bold here and say that Dwight Jones will be the best receiver we got from this draft.
You may be correct. Others & I had mocked him as high as 2nd round during the season. I think the party thing and conflict with school due to that thru him off line. Perhaps he needs to put that behind him and step into his new role as an NFL player. He does have the skill set. I was pleasantly surprised to see him signed. He and Keenum should hook up to play pass and catch every free minute even if it is on some high school field.
Old 05-07-2012   #14
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh texan View Post

So you start off by saying we aren't supposed to talk about Posey...and you end by talking about Posey.

Posey and Martin will be spoken of in tandem because they were the only two WR draft picks and were selected 3rd round and 4th round.
Old 05-07-2012   #15
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
You may be correct. Others & I had mocked him as high as 2nd round during the season. I think the party thing and conflict with school due to that thru him off line. Perhaps he needs to put that behind him and step into his new role as an NFL player. He does have the skill set. I was pleasantly surprised to see him signed. He and Keenum should hook up to play pass and catch every free minute even if it is on some high school field.
This ^^^.

I think at worst we'll have these two on the PS.
Old 05-07-2012   #16
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 262563 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

BleacherReport -- borrow facts from "real" journalists & paste into yet another BR blog.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012   #17
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30851 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Am I the only one who thinks signing Braylon Edwards to a 1 year deal wouldn't be the worst of ideas? I realize he had a rough go of it last year, but he was really good for the Jets 2 years ago. I personally just like the value of what it would take to get him here.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012   #18
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, Jacoby had 15 rec for about 150 yards as a rookie. Last season, Jacoby had more return yards than he had receiving yards. If Martin can get 100 yards receiving and be a good returner then I think his rookie season will be successful.

However, I think he will be a bigger part of the offense than that. McNair specifically said he wants to see Martin in the slot and see if his quickness can help us there. When the owner comes out and says something like that it leads me to believe that they expect him to be a regular contributor on game day.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012   #19
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
This ^^^.

I think at worst we'll have these two on the PS.
I think Keenum maybe could last on the PS, but I think someone would definitely snactch jones up when injuries start happening.

If anything, he'll have some mysterious injury that wasn't seen by many people and end up on IR for the season....
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012   #20
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I think Keenum maybe could last on the PS, but I think someone would definitely snactch jones up when injuries start happening.

If anything, he'll have some mysterious injury that wasn't seen by many people and end up on IR for the season....
What? Has that happened before?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read