Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 05-05-2012   #1
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 64918 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Pollard Speaks...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...headline_stack

Quote:
"If somebody is going to get a knockout shot, OK, at some point somebody is going to get hit anyway," Pollard said. "If you end up getting knocked out because you're trying to get a knockout shot, it's either kill or be killed. Which one are you going to do? This is football. It's not powder puff. When Nike unveiled their new uniforms, I'm surprised they didn't have flags on the side. ... You're taking away the game of football. If a quarterback throws an interception, get his butt down or run to the sidelines. If you're going to try to make a tackle, I'm going to look for you. I promise you, I'm going to look for you."
I love it! See... I am not buying into this safety crap that's going on in the other thread. I love football because it is a violent sport. I am the guy who goes.... ooooooooo.... when somebody gets nailed sleeping. Benard Pollard, Bubba McDowell, Steve Atwater, RONNIE LOTT... are the guys that I cheered the hardest for. What happened to the game?
NitroGSXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012   #2
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29759 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Pollard Speaks...

If football is a completely different sport 20-30 years from now, I don't think it's going to be due to rule changes. I think it's going to be for the other reason that Pollard mentioned at the end of the article.

Quote:
Strong words, as always, from Pollard, who admitted he doesn't want his son to play the game he plays, only to endure the fierce trail of physical ailments that come with it: "I don't want him to have go through it. I don't want to see my son with a concussion."
I think you're going to see fewer kids play football with all the new information about concussions and brain injuries. Fewer adults are going to allow their children to play football due to the long term effects it could have. That's why football will have long term problems.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012   #3
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 64918 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
If football is a completely different sport 20-30 years from now, I don't think it's going to be due to rule changes. I think it's going to be for the other reason that Pollard mentioned at the end of the article.

I think you're going to see fewer kids play football with all the new information about concussions and brain injuries. Fewer adults are going to allow their children to play football due to the long term effects it could have. That's why football will have long term problems.
NO FEAR... The NFL has Rex Ryan's endorsement.

Quote:
New York Jets coach Rex Ryan “absolutely” would like his son to continue playing football despite him suffering a concussion last season in high school.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports...93T_story.html

Old 05-05-2012   #4
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Is there a list out there of some of the players that have had health problems directly related to contact from football?

I ask because it seems like LB's and Safeties seem to have the most problems...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012   #5
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Is there a list out there of some of the players that have had health problems directly related to contact from football?

I think QBs have more concussions than anybody else but it doesn't matter. Boxing's dangerous. Road racing is dangerous. Hockey's dangerous. So's football. It's like this... I and most racers I know don't race for money. We do it because it's what we love. Football's no different. I know the potential consequences but I am not about to take away from enjoying sports itself. I want my children playing or doing exactly what they want to be doing. We can try but you ultimately can't take the danger out of dangerous.
Old 05-05-2012   #6
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29759 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

That would be interesting. The big hits always make it seem like the offensive player is hurt the most, but there's never much discussion about the impact it has on the defensive player.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012   #7
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 138002 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroGSXR View Post
I think QBs have more concussions than anybody else but it doesn't matter. Boxing's dangerous. Road racing is dangerous. Hockey's dangerous. So's football. It's like this... I and most racers I know don't race for money. We do it because it's what we love. Football's no different. I know the potential consequences but I am not about to take away from enjoying sports itself. I want my children playing or doing exactly what they want to be doing. We can try but you ultimately can't take the danger out of dangerous.
big hits in hockey (along the center ice) seem to be when a player gets his head down.
Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-05-2012   #8
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54086 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

That is why I enjoy football right now because twenty or thirty years from now the NFL just might not be any more and I am only half kidding.
Old 05-05-2012   #9
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I heard an interesting tid bit on the radio today. Supposedly soccer players suffer more concussions than American footballers. Doesn't really mean much, but just thought it wZ interesting if true.
Old 05-06-2012   #10
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I heard an interesting tid bit on the radio today. Supposedly soccer players suffer more concussions than American footballers. Doesn't really mean much, but just thought it wZ interesting if true.
What, they got them on those silly fake flops they do?

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012   #11
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783 View Post
What, they got them on those silly fake flops they do?
From the headers.

I heard in some youth leagues they're banning them.
Old 05-06-2012   #12
majestrate
All Pro

Rep Power: 9427 majestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respected

I bet he changes his tune when he's 35 and walks by shuffling his feet because of all the injuries he's suffered
majestrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012   #13
kingh99

You can best remove risk by removing rights and free will. Do we really want this? Politicians and Lawyers will be in total control, as if they aren't already. People rebel when they loose too much of free will. They know it. That's why they won't outlaw professional fighting and football.

Does that mean players and coaches who do things that cross the line into criminality can have a case made against them, convicted and put in prison? It should. Long overdue for the animals that cross the line and make it blood sport instead of honorable competition. Like the EPA guy said, crucify a few of those guys and make an example of them. Guys who paid a bounty should be facing charges outside football.

Albert Haynesworth should be asked to answer questions in a court setting for his comments after he decided to target Schaub's foot on a dead whistle. Take these thugs to court. Clean it up from the inside out.
Old 05-06-2012   #14
kingh99

ntnt
Old 05-06-2012   #15
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 314445 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

The NFL is a business, and if QBs are standing up and making plays it sells tickets. I agree the NFL is starting to become a tad wussyfied, but in all reality, the players of today (on average) are bigger, stronger, faster and the hits are harder than they used to be. I don't like all the new rules myself, but I can understand them.

30 years ago, a man like Cushing would have been a wreaking ball in a glass house.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012   #16
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 416490 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
30 years ago, a man like Cushing would have been a wreaking ball in a glass house.
30 years ago he would have been playing DL akin to very similarly sized Randy White.
Old 05-07-2012   #17
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Section: Uranus
Rep Power: 57418 NastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
30 years ago he would have been playing DL akin to very similarly sized Randy White.
30 years ago he wouldn't have been suspended the first 4 games on the season

I kid, he wouldn't exist actually. Cush=25. God you guys are dense!
Old 05-07-2012   #18
TdotTexas2Step
All Pro

Rep Power: 1976 TdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respected

I think some people are also forgetting the one point (may not be the main, but still significant) that revolves around money.

There's this trend/fad occurring with retired NFL players successfully suing the NFL for negligence regarding player safety.

Whether you agree with this or not, players and their lawyers have their case, and a byproduct of the NFL's new stance on safety not only protects the players today, but the NFL executives as well.
TdotTexas2Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012   #19
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

The "safety" argument is getting tired. It is a double standard, front offices want bigger, stronger, faster players but want them to hit softer?

Look at the risk you take on every single day. Did you get in a car/rolling casket? Do you smoke? What do you eat? I bet it's not nuts and berries with only water to drink. How long did you spend in the sun today? Did you excersize?
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012   #20
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32827 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

My 3 week old son is already working on his golf swing and his forehand, top spin winner . Interesting to see where the game is in over a decade.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read