Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 05-15-2005   #1
Texas_Thrill
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Texas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballotTexas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Default Are NFL teams using the term "character issues" too loosely?

I think my question is pretty straight forward. I've NEVER watched a draft with sooooooo many players having character issues.

The texans have TWO players who were labeled as having character issues.....Morency and Mathis.

What defines a character issue?
Texas_Thrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005   #2
YodAa
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to YodAa

Well um this is one of those "Your not supposed to ask" questions. JK basically if the player has either A) had multiple issues against the law or B) when they pull of TOs and/or Mosses
Old 05-15-2005   #3
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Thrill
The texans have TWO players who were labeled as having character issues.....Morency and Mathis.

What defines a character issue?
I think you're forgetting Travis Johnson also...

To answer your question, if a player has ever been arrested for anything, tested positive for drugs, or shown a bad attitude, they're labeled as having "character issues"...It's up to scouts and GMs to determine whether these "issues" are substantial enough to cause the player to move down their board...
D-ReK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005   #4
royce1054
All Pro

Send a message via MSN to royce1054 Send a message via Yahoo to royce1054

technically i know they arent 2005 picks but you could add Buchannon and Riley to that bunch
royce1054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005   #5
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

According to the standards applied by the NFL and character issues, most people (non-athletes) would have some question marks. There are extensive background checks done with interviews with coaches, etc.

What a team has to determine is if a kid was being 19 or 20 (immature) when he got into a fight or argued with his coach or does this reflect a consistent pattern of behavior. Not always the easiest thing to determine.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005   #6
Texas_Thrill
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Texas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballotTexas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Yes but is it me or was that term used WAAAAY too much this year.

I mean it seemed like every other player had character issues.

And yes if you look at the texans acquisitions this year. Gracious. We got nothing but character issues which is funny for an organization supposedly staking their reps on that.
Old 05-16-2005   #7
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Thrill
Yes but is it me or was that term used WAAAAY too much this year.

I mean it seemed like every other player had character issues.

And yes if you look at the texans acquisitions this year. Gracious. We got nothing but character issues which is funny for an organization supposedly staking their reps on that.
If your point is that "character issues" is applied to broadly over everything from the guy who missed a couple of philosophy classes to guys who pulled women downstairs by the hair then i agree with this notion.
Sponsored links
Old 05-16-2005   #8
Texas_Thrill
Hall of Fame

I think that is exactly my point.
Old 05-16-2005   #9
F-minus67
Hall of Fame

I think that teams are too scared and are trying to get the backgroung on every prospect in the draft. So they put all the issues in one catagories to save time.
Old 06-13-2005   #10
Mr Shush
Veteran

Quote:
If your point is that "character issues" is applied to broadly over everything from the guy who missed a couple of philosophy classes to guys who pulled women downstairs by the hair then i agree with this notion.
Quite so, but unless you like the idea of your top ten pick doing three years in Florida State instead of your defensive backfield, you can understand why teams get jumpy about it.
Mr Shush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005   #11
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

last I checked playing football is not like running for office or appointment to some high ranking government position. character to me defined as a football player is will he be able to represent the team to the community in a positive & professional manner. that he is coachable, willing to fullfill his role on the team and do what he is asked to do when called upon. should have no bearing on race, upbringing, education, political or religious beliefs. when a player crosses the line & found quilty via the judicial system then these character issues should become factors that my inhibit that players future
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005   #12
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 296584 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

man, when did we get to the point that we expect football players to be little angels?

I mean, if there had been this hyper-sensitive ultra-PC environment in the past, many of today's football icons from years past never would have made it!

Holy cow. Take young men, many from poor backgrounds, and give them loads of money, and you've got a recipe for potential mayhem.

Maybe today's media are partly to blame, because I don't think players have changed that much (except for the amount of money being thrown at them). But reporters in the past used to "hide" stories about players, and the infotainment world of today's news, those same stories are lead-ins! yikes!
Old 06-16-2005   #13
ArlingtonTexan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel
man, when did we get to the point that we expect football players to be little angels?

I mean, if there had been this hyper-sensitive ultra-PC environment in the past, many of today's football icons from years past never would have made it!

Holy cow. Take young men, many from poor backgrounds, and give them loads of money, and you've got a recipe for potential mayhem.
Character issues have nothing to do with PC, but with bottom line investment. The lowest paid guy in the NFL makes what $250,000??? The teams are more worried about the guy not showing up on Sunday because he did something stupid on Friday. All about the Return On Investment. There is not other agenda. Not one.

BTW, do ever check out the court blotter on the entertainment page? There are actors, singers, dancers, etc who come from middle class and higher backgrounds with the same problems of hard partying, drug use, etc. that dot sports handscape. It is more a young with money and time that is the problem.

Unfortunately, while I think that "character issues" is overrated to an extent, during this month or so long "vacation" that the players are on before training camp, there will be at least one guy in the NFL get arrested for something stupid. I just hope it is not a Texan.
Old 06-16-2005   #14
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Basically "character issues" has become a red flag that the guy has done something at least once that is deemed significantly inappropriate behavior. That is all it is now.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read