Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 05-15-2005   #1
Texas_Thrill
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Texas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballotTexas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Default Does Morency's age bother anyone?

I am curious if anyone feels like Morency being 25 and a RB bother anyone? RB's dont last long in the NFL as it is. I know he didn't play ball for quite some time and that he only started for one year but I still have to question how much impact a ROOKIE RB at 25 does for us.

I felt that 3rd rounder could have addressed more pressing needs for us like OL.
Texas_Thrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005   #2
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

I'm not really concerned about his age. One of the easiest positions in the NFL for a rookie to make an instant impact is at RB. I think he'll end up being a great pickup for us, and we'll get to see some of him this upcoming season.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005   #3
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

Morency's age isn't much of an issue since he is still in his mid 20's and in his prime. The amount of carries a back has had is really what counts.

Last edited by STEEL BLUE TEXANS; 05-15-2005 at 02:54 AM.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005   #4
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 57901 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

its pure conjecture but I would say that Morency taken in the 3rd round in 2005 was a better selection than Hollings in the supplemental draft which in essence was the 1st pick of the 2nd round 2003
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005   #5
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

Honestly, I'm less worried about Morency's age than I would've been if we chose a guy like Benson, who carried the brunt of the load in a run-heavy offense for four seasons...
D-ReK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005   #6
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

At 25, he's about as good as he's going to get. There's very little upside to Morency.
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005   #7
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

So that means most of the players in NFL has reached its player plateau and won't get any better either...including guys like David Carr? I don't think so. I'm not worried one bit about Morency being 25. Most Men don't stop filling out until 25 anyway. He is ready to go right now, and right now is what you are worried about when you take a back.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-15-2005   #8
Lucky

Rep Power: 180779 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Morency will likely sign a 4 year contract with the Texans. Vernand will be 28 years old by the end of the contract. So the Texans will get his best years at the price of a rookie contract. If we were talking about a 1st round pick with a 6-7 year contract, that's a different story.
Old 05-15-2005   #9
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 712 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge
At 25, he's about as good as he's going to get. There's very little upside to Morency.
I think your aspect of judgement is a little flawed there. If Morency had played RB this entire time, then I might agree with it. But really he has played about as much as any other college prospect that's come out, because of his involvement in the Dodgers system. I think football experience, and the competition of that experience, has much more to do with a prospects upside than their actual age. He should improve simply by playing against better competition in the NFL.

ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005   #10
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

What wears down a RB is the amount of punishment not the calender itself. In relative terms, he has little punishment on his body, so he should be fine in the foreseeable future.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005   #11
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Does this mean Drew Henson won't get any better either?
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005   #12
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 57901 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEEL BLUE TEXANS
yep

blanket moratorium age 25 & up

funny it is, that Morency is the pick, the Texans used, via Henson
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005   #13
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

There were concerns about Antowain Smith's age when he came out of UH. He is still in the league (with Tennessee last time I looked) and has a couple of Super Bowl rings to boot.

*edit* typo
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005   #14
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Thrill
RB's dont last long in the NFL as it is.
I think you are thinking about this in the wrong way. He will just have to play longer than the normal quitting age for a runner, which is around 33. But that is the normal age for a player who came into the league at 22, with 10-11 years of wear and tear. At 33, Morency will only have played 8 years in the league. And I think he could play as long as any other.

JMO
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005   #15
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not concerned at all about Morency's age. He is 25 years old not 35 years old! He played minor league baseball for the Rockies and that is why he is a 25 year old rookie runningback in the NFL. I think he played for a great program in OSU and he played in a tough Big 12 conference and I think that counts for something. I think Morency will be a fine backup but he might push DD if he's injured too much.
Old 05-16-2005   #16
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

Quote:
So that means most of the players in NFL has reached its player plateau and won't get any better either...including guys like David Carr? I don't think so. I'm not worried one bit about Morency being 25. Most Men don't stop filling out until 25 anyway. He is ready to go right now, and right now is what you are worried about when you take a back.
Quote:
Quote:
yep

blanket moratorium age 25 & up

funny it is, that Morency is the pick, the Texans used, via Henson
Comparing 25 year old QBs to 25 year old RBs = apples to oranges.

How many QBs do you know of that come in the league and make an instant impact?
How many RBs do you know of that can do/have done that?

How many QBs get better after they turn 30?
How many RBs get better after they turn 30?

Bottom line, with the RB position, you don't see the same level of improvement with them as you do with any other position. Mostly because they have the ability to come in and dominate from the get go. That's not to say what you see in college is what you get. They do get better. Just not as much as the other players.

So as I said, he's already 25. He's "about" as good as he's going to get.
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005   #17
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

So as I said, he's already 25. He's "about" as good as he's going to get.
Priest Holmes was 24 years old before the 5th game of his rookie season.

His age, is not that big of a deal to me.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005   #18
Dionysus22
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Well that's not really a fair assesment. Drew was out of football for those years then tried to come straight into the NFL extremely rusty. Morency was out but did his time in college and now is ready to bust loose. We just happened to land a more mature RB that doesn't have a lot of miles like a Ced Benson but also hasn't been out of football for a few years and is trying to make a comeback. Grant it, I would have rather grabbed a TE or an OL, but Morency is great addition and should push DD to keep his job. Then we'd have a great 1-2 punch with the both.

But you're right! drew does blow!!! I'm loving it!
Dionysus22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005   #19
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Might be a BIT older model, but low miliage.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005   #20
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Well he has alot more promise than any of the other RBs we have on the roster. I believe if they get to share the load, we could be possibly be seeing a remake of Thurman Thomas and Ken Davis, and perhaps this would allow us to close out 4th quarter leads because our running game is fresh all game.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read