Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-03-2012   #41
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 153912 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Did this draft FEEL different?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
how many injuries did the ravens have last season ??? I remember pretty much all their starters starting in the play-offs and throughout the season. My point is the odds are that we wont get hit with the injury bug as bad next year.
Perhaps it just seems like it but I thought Texans have had significant injuries for some time. I don't know what you are basing your odds theory on as some of the injuries like Matt's, AJ's and Caldwell's could impact them this season.
Old 05-03-2012   #42
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 97190 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

The draft felt different for me because the team didn't have a sense of urgency, through the first 3-4 rounds, to find immediate impact players. IMO, we drafted 4 of them, but that's more due to talent than design. Mercilus, Crick, the kicker(who knows his name yet?) and one of the WR. will most likely be impact players for us in 2012. They don't have to. None of us fans are really expecting them to be. I think they will be.

Anywho, that's the big difference for me. We had a good draft and can wait a couple of years to see how they develope before we get too antsy. This must be what it feels like to be a Steeler fan. I like it.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012   #43
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 102457 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

think about the 2010 season, who did we lose to injury. AJ had a gimp ankle still played until all hope for the play-offs were lost and then M.W same thing. Who missed a lot of time besides demeco ? My point is yes injuries do happen but rarely will you see so many starters go down like we saw last year. My odds are on all previous Texans, and ALL nfl teams seasons.
Old 05-03-2012   #44
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 102457 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Plus i believe that with Schaub healthy all last season we get a first round bye and play in the AFC championship game. And the way we played Baltimore i believe we would of been in the Superbowl !!!
Old 05-03-2012   #45
buddyboy
All Pro

Rep Power: 14907 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
As minimal as we think JJ's production was, someone has to make it up. We should not have to depend on AJ, Walter & OD.
If this thread theme is "expectations", filling JJ's minimal production should be on the list of "low expectations".

You're right, we do need to fill that production. We have 4-5 young players though, I'd say we have a pretty good chance that one of them will fill the role. Still, one could make the argument that had we not drafted a WR, Lestar Jean, Iglesias, and whatever UDFA WRs we picked up could potentially fill JJ's production. It'd be much riskier, but at WR3 it doesn't seem to be as important, especially with how our team has evolved into a run-oriented team.

That being said, sure hope one of those WRs steps up this season and TAKES away the number 2 spot from Walter, or at the very least fills JJ's old production.
buddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012   #46
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
See, that's one thing some folks seem to forgot about, is the "luck" or "random" part of all this. You could "what if" yourself to death discussing the NFL.

All I know is, the Texans are heading down the right path and look good. Anything said beyond that is speculation.
The bolded statement is so true. And to recall the ridicule McNair got on this board when he suggested "we're on the right track" after the MNF loss in Baltimore. Perhaps he had a vision of the future that we just couldn't grasp at the time.

Personally I feel pretty good about where the Texans are as a team and what the future holds. I say this trying to look around my Kool-Aid colored glasses.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012   #47
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

#1 need was a starting WR2 & hopefully someone who could possibly replace AJ at some point. Devier Posey? Really? This was the best we could do?
There will never be another Andre Johnson. That's what makes him special. And if we're incredibly lucky enough to have another WR that stands up with the greatest, he probably won't be a selection in the 3rd round. You talk a lot about expectations, maybe look over your own expectations eh?
Quote:
#2 need(debateable) OGs: RG was pretty terrible even though I cheered the toughness of Briesel. Caldwell allegedly playing on two bum sticks did little to make me think he could start. Coaches see & know more than I do. I get that; but were not most of us pleading for a starting RG as several should be available in 2nd round? Kevin Zeitler whom many said would be a 10 year starter went #27. More than one OT that could convert to OG were in 2nd.
So your complaint is that they didn't choose Brooks in the 2nd round?
Quote:
#3 need LB: I like Merci but he is a rotational need who could be a starter; that could not be found in later rounds? I was crying when I saw Ronnell Lewis at our pick in 4th.
Did Ronnell Lewis lead the nation in sacks and forced fumbles? There's your obvious answer.

You're not the only one who wasn't up with the Posey pick. I flat out didn't like it, didn't like the move down either but all told...it was a pretty good draft. Aside from the suspensions, down the nitty gritty of football attributes, Posey has a pretty decent report.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-04-2012   #48
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 153912 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
There will never be another Andre Johnson. That's what makes him special. And if we're incredibly lucky enough to have another WR that stands up with the greatest, he probably won't be a selection in the 3rd round. You talk a lot about expectations, maybe look over your own expectations eh?

So your complaint is that they didn't choose Brooks in the 2nd round?Did Ronnell Lewis lead the nation in sacks and forced fumbles? There's your obvious answer.

You're not the only one who wasn't up with the Posey pick. I flat out didn't like it, didn't like the move down either but all told...it was a pretty good draft. Aside from the suspensions, down the nitty gritty of football attributes, Posey has a pretty decent report.
Your confused on two points with AJ, first when we (posters) speak of finding a replacement for a starter that is what we are talking about. You don't know if you have a H. o. F. for a couple years minimum. We need a WR1 in training now. To say there will never be another AJ is silly. Larry Fitzgerald & Calvin Johnson blow that theory to hell and does not include any newer guys such as Blackmon, Kendall Wright or Floyd who could be H.o.F.

Where in the world did you get the bolded from? My point was we could have gotten a rotational OLB that could develop into a possible starter in Wade's system in Lewis and used first and second on other positions. I did not say Lewis was better than Mercilus. Quit reading what you want in my words.
Old 05-04-2012   #49
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
2. Posey? I hope I am not the only one expecting him to step up be productive WR2 day one. 3. Brookes? My expectation is he had better be able to push Caldwell if not beat him out. If not, why the heck select him? Just an after thought? Sure, if Caldwell settles in as a Briesel replacement (note I did not say a very good RG) Brookes if only a back up will be an ok use of a 4th.
Not so sure Brooks was brought in to replace Caldwell. There will be some fierce competition at both OG spots this season, and with Wade Smith already 31 years old, Brooks could be replacing him, though I don't think that's likely at the start of the season. I really don't expect Brooks to beat out Caldwell or Wade this season. He has a lot to learn, not to mention the Texans O-line thrives with continuity. But I think he will be developing and waiting, along with Shelley Smith, for Wade Smith or Caldwell to retire, get injured, drop off in play, etc.. for their opportunity.
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read