Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-02-2012   #1
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Did this draft FEEL different?

I guess the dust is settling almost a week later after the draft started. I am still soaking up the players and I have to admit...overall I am VERY pleased.

While the FO scored well in last year's draft specially at the top with Reed and Brooks, we've yet to really see what the rest will do.

This year just.. I can't explain it... it felt different. It didn't seem like they were swinging and hoping they hit.

It felt like from day one they had a draft plan and stuck to it. I can see exactly where each pick fits in with what's going on each side of the ball. They knew exactly what needed to be addressed and took guys that fit well and even scored a couple of real value picks in the process.

Did anyone else get the feeling as well that it seemed like Rick had full confidence in every move? That both sides of the ball have a system and plan in place that made it easier to identify guys who will fit well?
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012   #2
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Did this draft FEEL different?

I think Smithiak have learned from past years and are making smarter decisions. Add Wade's experience to the mix and I think what you end up with is people who know what type of player they want and go out and get them.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012   #3
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 123395 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah we picked way later and didn't need to fill so many holes (that's what she said). I could get use to picking at the end of rounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012   #4
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100807 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

They said it was a deep draft.

I have never seen such a buzz with all the UDFA that the Texans have signed, esp in this TT forum
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012   #5
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Yes. In past drafts (other than KJ and the trade downs which by passed the big running back I wanted) I felt quiet optimism. I feel resignation now. This draft did not go the way I wanted. Can it be successful? Sure. A Chevy can be successful but not as a Caddy.
Old 05-02-2012   #6
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Yes. In past drafts (other than KJ and the trade downs which by passed the big running back I wanted) I felt quiet optimism. I feel resignation now. This draft did not go the way I wanted. Can it be successful? Sure. A Chevy can be successful but not as a Caddy.
If you don't mind me asking (I'm sure you have likely answered in other threads), whats your concern with this class?
Old 05-02-2012   #7
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 116095 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
If you don't mind me asking (I'm sure you have likely answered in other threads), whats your concern with this class?
I feel completely opposite of Badboy (no offense Badboy), but I feel that this draft class was important in the sense that other teams wanted some of our guys. We had to draft certain positions for guys that other teams coveted and took from us.

Other than Posey and maybe a handfull of others, how many other guys can we say that about??

That said, I never grade a draft class until (at a minimum halfway through the season, they were drafted).
Old 05-02-2012   #8
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14869 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

Simple for me.

Expectations.

Our previous drafts were guys who had to live up to some pretty high expectations.

Watt- The guy that was the new blood of what was supposed to be a revamped 3-4 defense

Kareem- Supposed to play a huge part in rebuilding the failed secondary

Cushing- Another player taken to help out a ailing defense.

Brown- Hopefully our savior at LT.

All these guys and every guy before now in the first round was taken to be a big time player in the NFL(and funny enough outside of Okoye and Kareem those other 1st rounders have been very successful) Even Tate I remember people had high expectations from and several guys in later rounds.

Mercilus doesn't have to be that. He just has to be a guy that comes in, brings some pressure every now and then. Do his role. He's not supposed to be a the face of the defense...if he does turn out to be a stud player, then great.

I mean the team does not have the need to draft pro-bowl players. Like teams drafting 1-15 do. Texans just need to add quality players, so expectations of those draft picks are not as high as they were so it's easier to feel more optimistic when you are not expecting Mercilus to be Demarcus Ware.
fiasco west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012   #9
buddyboy
All Pro

Rep Power: 14907 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco west View Post
Simple for me.

Expectations.

Our previous drafts were guys who had to live up to some pretty high expectations.

Watt- The guy that was the new blood of what was supposed to be a revamped 3-4 defense

All these guys and every guy before now in the first round was taken to be a big time player in the NFL(and funny enough outside of Okoye and Kareem those other 1st rounders have been very successful) Even Tate I remember people had high expectations from and several guys in later rounds.

Mercilus doesn't have to be that. He just has to be a guy that comes in, brings some pressure every now and then. Do his role. He's not supposed to be a the face of the defense...if he does turn out to be a stud player, then great.

I mean the team does not have the need to draft pro-bowl players. Like teams drafting 1-15 do. Texans just need to add quality players, so expectations of those draft picks are not as high as they were so it's easier to feel more optimistic when you are not expecting Mercilus to be Demarcus Ware.
Wow, spot on. I didn't even realize it, but the reason this draft feels so much more comfortable to me is because our team doesn't need them.

Well, obviously we need the draft, but as a whole, if our draft picks don't pan out, our team won't be in shambles. We have the talent there to play at a high level. The players we drafted were either for talent later down the road, depth, or marginal effect on this season.
buddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012   #10
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

I think propers need to be shouted out to the whole Texans organization for sticking with the plan and not freaking out.

We patiently stood our ground, added value guys every draft under Kubiak, and then the culmination was Wade Phillips entering the picture...he took what we had, added his own flavors to it, and whipped up some tasty defense in 2011.

In essence, we waited out the storm known as Peyton Manning. He's gone. Forever. Yeah, yeah...they got Andrew Luck but dudes and dudettes Andrew Luck is going to have to be AMAZING in order to put the Colts back on the map anytime soon. No run game. No o-line. Their superstar center is gone. No defense. It's Andrew Luck, Fleener, and Reggie Wayne...and that's it. We won. Ding dong the wicked witch is dead.

So now guess who remains? Us. Our guys "were" the youngest team in the league, but every year they gel and they get tighter and more polished...meanwhile, teams like the Colts who "were" veterans are now washed up and moved onto other teams to live out the last two or three years of their careers. The Titans invested their future into Vince Young, and they are barely beginning to recover from the residue of all the junk that went on there. The Jags? Dysfunctional is the name of the game for them. Their draft was awful. Not even Blackmon saves them from getting a flunking grade in that draft. New owner, new coach, an older MJD who MUST feel like God really hates him right now.

Again, this Texans team stayed quiet, stayed humble, stayed the course...and now everything has come together really well for us.

So yeah, this year's draft was only about the idea of stockpiling guys who don't have the pressure to perform immediately...but the beauty is that those guys CAN perform immediately because the pressure is not there! They know they are on one of the top 5 teams in the NFL right now. RIGHT NOW. Not "maybe we can be good and maybe I can help us be good," but instead it's a mindset of "Damn, this team is the balls. And I can just do my thing and probably succeed right there along with them!"

This is why we have to give some leash to the guys when they let go Winston, trade Ryans, and don't match Mario or Brisiel. There's a fundamental philosophy going on that teams like the Ravens and Patriots have been doing for like 10 years now. I would put Steelers and Giants into that group.

I think we'll be playing the Bengals in the AFC Championship game guys. I'm serious. I think the championship game will be a re-match of our wildcard game with the Bengals. It's going to be EPIC.
Old 05-02-2012   #11
Joe Texan
Inducted 04

Section: 116 row a seat 20
Rep Power: 4091 Joe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Yea it felt different it was a Playoff team draft, get used to it
Old 05-02-2012   #12
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyboy View Post
Wow, spot on. I didn't even realize it, but the reason this draft feels so much more comfortable to me is because our team doesn't need them.

Well, obviously we need the draft, but as a whole, if our draft picks don't pan out, our team won't be in shambles. We have the talent there to play at a high level. The players we drafted were either for talent later down the road, depth, or marginal effect on this season.
Texans need them more than ever to come in a contribute & keep the trend-line headed higher, that is of course if a Super Bowl is their (our) goal? It's time to take the next step & that must come with losing Mario Williams, Joel Dreessen & Mike Brisel to Free Agency & trading DeMeco Ryans (not going to mention cutting Jacoby) really.

Point is each draft you must improve your team incrementally or fall behind the pack

I'm hoping next draft I can feel different. Different because we actually won the big one

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012   #13
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100807 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco west View Post
Simple for me.

Expectations.

REP
you nailed it there.
we can give some guys some time to develop

I felt that this was a very important draft for the Texans. esp with all the free agents coming up in 2013. I probably jinxed the Texans but I feel good about this draft
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012   #14
buddyboy
All Pro

Rep Power: 14907 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Texans need them more than ever to come in a contribute & keep the trend-line headed higher, that is of course if a Super Bowl is their (our) goal? It's time to take the next step & that must come with losing Mario Williams, Joel Dreessen & Mike Brisel to Free Agency & trading DeMeco Ryans (not going to mention cutting Jacoby) really.

Point is each draft you must improve your team incrementally or fall behind the pack

I'm hoping next draft I can feel different. Different because we actually won the big one
My point was that in previous years, we needed the draft to improve our team drastically. We needed our first, second, third, and hopefully fourth round picks to come in and make immediate IMPACTS.

This year, sure, we look to improve, but there's no need to throw the kids in the fire yet. And there's no need to hit on 100% of our picks.
Old 05-02-2012   #15
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
My point was that in previous years, we needed the draft to improve our team drastically. We needed our first, second, third, and hopefully fourth round picks to come in and make immediate IMPACTS.

This year, sure, we look to improve, but there's no need to throw the kids in the fire yet. And there's no need to hit on 100% of our picks.
With off season loses how can you be sure of that? Not to mention injury's that will happen because you know they will!

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012   #16
buddyboy
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
With off season loses how can you be sure of that? Not to mention injury's that will happen because you know they will!
As far as offseason losses go, which of the players we drafted fill a starter's void from day 1? Maybe the guard, Brooks? Maybe?

Obviously Mercilus will get his chance. But he didn't get drafted because we had a hole at OLB. In fact, he got drafted despite the depth there. The Texans had the luxury of not having to go out and get Kareem Jackson to start from day one at CB1. They had the luxury of not having to go get JJ Watt to start at DE from day one since Mario was moving to OLB. Had the luxury of not having to go get Duane Brown and hope he worked out because we had never had a left tackle who could keep the QB upright.

Sure, we lost some players in FA. But most of the replacements will be coming from in-house I believe. The FO didn't lose players and HAVE to replace them through the draft. Instead, we have players who can fill in, and, should the opportunity arise, be upgraded through the draft.

And as far as injuries go, I never said the rookies wouldn't be thrown in the fire. I simply said that unlike in past seasons, it wasn't mandatory.
Old 05-02-2012   #17
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 82342 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
The Jags? Dysfunctional is the name of the game for them. Their draft was awful.
You're sooo delusional, they got a hell of a punter IN THE THIRD!

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012   #18
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Quote:

If we don't add any veterans to the WR corps... we're going to need our 3rd and 4th rounders to come in and make immediate impacts.

That said, I feel like they looked to target players at this spot who fit an idea and a role that they could succeed in.
Old 05-03-2012   #19
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

The big difference to me was being a team that was successful the year before. We finally didn't play the role of some team that sucked looking for a future superstar. We were trying to build on success, keep ourselves with the big boys of the NFL world.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012   #20
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96241 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

it did for me in the sense that we primarily drafted for depth. in years past, we always hit the draft NEEDING to get at least 2 guys that were going to come in and start right away.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read