Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

View Poll Results: Would you consider signing Jabar gafney?
Yes. He's an upgrade over current #2 and #3 WR 27 42.86%
No. Been there, done that. Isn't an upgrade over #2 and #3 WR. 36 57.14%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-01-2012   #1
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Would you consider signing Jabar Gafney?

LINK

The Redskins released Jabar Gafney today. Would you consider signing him?
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012   #2
speedfreek
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34563 speedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Would you consider signing Jabar Gafney?

Nope..

Been there, done that. Kinda of like calling up an old girlfriend you were in a bad relationship with..

TJ
speedfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012   #3
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 85602 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Too expensive, not an upgrade, and baggage.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012   #4
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

He had 900+ yards receiving in this offense last year with the Redskins.

He's an upgrade from a receiving standpoint but I don't see him coming in and automatically being our #2 or #3 because I don't know if he's a willing blocker or not.

I voted 'Yes' because I'd at least consider it. I'd do some research on how he blocked before I pulled the trigger. And I'd probably downgrade him a bit because he's still a headcase. Even after having a 200 yard receiving day with the Broncos, he still got benched for disciplinary reasons (granted, it was McDaniels who benched him.) And then after grabbing 900+ yards for the Redskins, he's told not to show up for their off-season conditioning program... which means he's done something to piss off the Shanny's.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012   #5
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

The guy has averaged 62 catches, 850 yards, and 3 TDs over the past 3 seasons.
And guess what? Thats while averaging only 11 starts a year (not injuries, just not starting)

He averages close to 14 yards per catch. Why would we not want to sign this guy?
Old 05-01-2012   #6
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 287939 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Jabar Gafney or Jacoby Jones?

Gafney in a heartbeat.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012   #7
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 128249 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Depends on the $$.

I would if the price was right. But, wasn't it the Kubiak regime that let him go to begin with?
Sponsored links
Old 05-01-2012   #8
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

For a minimum deal, sure I'd bring him into camp. Let him battle it out with the rest of our crew and the best man will make the 53.
Old 05-01-2012   #9
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

If we signed Gaffney it would mean the end of Jacoby Jones as a Texan for sure. So, I would sign him if the price is right.
Old 05-01-2012   #10
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 307979 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

If he can't make a spot for himself in the Redskins WR corps .....
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012   #11
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
If he can't make a spot for himself in the Redskins WR corps .....
They just signed Pierre Garcon and Josh Morgan, and they still have Santana Moss on the roster. Gaffney was scheduled to make about 2.65 million this year, so they cut him instead of paying that. A minimum deal is probably what he will be offered around the league, but maybe someone will give him a little over a million. It's worth a phone call.

Personally, I would rather go after Plaxico Burress. He's still out there and would probably take a minimum deal just to play. He did pretty well with Sanchez throwing to him last year, so Schaub would be a big upgrade for him. I think he could do well in our system as a #3 guy.
Old 05-01-2012   #12
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90172 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Depends on the $$.

I would if the price was right. But, wasn't it the Kubiak regime that let him go to begin with?
Kind of. His contract was up after the 2005 season, and they chose not to renew him, but it's not like Kubiak cut him from the roster or anything. The telling thing is that he was signed by the Eagles, and then let go during pre-season - that's when the Patriots picked him up.

Clearly, he's gone on to be a better receiver than he ever was here, and if they are planning on jettisoning Jacoby (which I believe they are), it would be nice to have a WR who's actually played in an NFL game beyond AJ and Walter.

Given the circumstances, and the point in the off-season in which he bacame available, I would imagine there's a pretty good chance he's gonna end up signing for the minimum. I do think he's a better option than the Bryant Johnson's and Derrick Mason's of the world, so if he understands the circumstances, and is willing to take the veteran minimum, I actually kind of like the idea.
Old 05-01-2012   #13
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 216190 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Having spoken to some in DC, his Twitter meltdown had a more major effect on the team than made public.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012   #14
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Gafney could benefit form being in a stable locker room like the Texans have. The 2012 Texans are a far, far cry from the 2005 Texans. I would definitely take him over Jones, any day of the week and twice on Sunday. I would love the vet minimum, but I would be happy if he got what Jones is scheduled to make just to be rid of Jones.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012   #15
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 307979 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Having spoken to some in DC, his Twitter meltdown had a more major effect on the team than made public.
I wonder how so? I've seen plenty of guys have short term meltdowns when losing a marriage -- it's tough. I give him a pass on that, personally.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012   #16
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Gaffney isn't a very persistent blocker....he's not a slot guy either. Not a fit here.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012   #17
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Gaffney put up some great numbers in New England. He didn't have a QB throwing to him in Washington and still put up decent numbers. He would do good here.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012   #18
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 267781 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I voted that I would consider it and I would. A team with the WR situation the Texans have can't afford to not consider any potentially viable path to getting better. Over the course of reading this thread I have considered it and I'm going to pass.

Gaffney is the past. We're mercifully free of every single speck of 2002 draft "dust" and I think we should stay that way. While I think he could probably catch some balls for us I also think we can get that from a lot of WR's. Gaffney isn't crap but like Vinny said, he doesn't fit here. I bet Kubiak knew that before he even set foot in his knew office. That's why they didn't bother to try and keep him despite how barren the cupboard was at the time.
Old 05-01-2012   #19
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 94067 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawzer View Post
If we signed Gaffney it would mean the end of Jacoby Jones as a Texan for sure. So, I would sign him if the price is right.
I don't get the logic behind the idea that we sign or draft a WR and that equals Jones being gone.

It's quite a drop from #3 WR and PR to off the roster. I would not assume the FO shares the fan bases bitterness towards Jones.
Old 05-01-2012   #20
FirstTexansFan
The Unknown Fan

Rep Power: 30093 FirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to FirstTexansFan

Been there, seen it, done it... regrettably bought the Jersey
Dread-Head's #1 Fan, Because He Hates The Cowboys As Much As Me!
FirstTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read