Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-04-2012   #81
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Biggest Concern Going Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
My hesitancy/doubtfulness comes from the lack of improvement in his ability to go thru his progressions from his initial Jacksonville appearance up to and thru the Baltimore game.
I disagree. TJ was better at the end of the year. Go back and look at the Colts game. He performed well. He only had 3 incompletions...He pretty much did as well as he could under the circumstances. Except for yards, he had his best game of the season and really his yards were limited due to the fact that he also had his lowest attempts of the season.

Against Tennessee he only threw the ball 4 times, but he connected on all 4....???

Against ATL in the play-offs (our first play off win ever; remember that?) he played pretty damn well too.

Quote:
There was one bright ray of sunshine when he led the game-winning drive against the Bungles to win. He also threw for 300 yds in that game. After that he never showed that spark again. And we went on to close out the season losing three straight - although I won't attribute the last loss (to Tenn.) to his performance. But even throwing that game out, he got outperformed by Cam Newton (IN Reliant!) and Dan Freakin' Orlovsky in successive weeks.
Cam Newton was the #1 overall pick and was a rookie just like Yates. Newton probably had the best season by a rookie QB ever. Is it really a surprise that he out performed Yates? Were you expecting something different?

And if Orvlosky outperformed him (which he really didn't) maybe you should direct your attention to the defense rather than Yates???

Yes in Baltimore he played terrible. That said, a lot of QB's play bad against that defense. Yates played comparably to Andy Dalton against that same defense, and Dalton had the benefit of being prepared as the starter since day 1.

We can agree to disagree on Yates, that's fine. But I think it's just plain wrong to say the guy didn't perform well (relatively speaking).
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012   #82
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253530 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
If a healthy Schaub is out there, than we have a great chance to do just about anything.

If Yates is out there, than this team has no chance.

It's really that simple.
I don't totally disagree with this.

I just don't expect Schaub to start the season. I expect Yates to be our Week 1 starter but for us to have a SB season, we need to get Schaub back -- healthy and ready to play -- a few weeks into the season and then he's got to remain healthy to the end.

I think we can have Yates start the season and still win most of the games.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012   #83
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34423 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

I think in the next few years a replacement for AJ will be drafted. There is still time for that IMHO.
Old 05-05-2012   #84
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11524 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

of course its #8 who concerns me heck most of the 32 teams there starting QB is what concerns them

other concerns

-the new right side of our Oline

-Andre johnson and his health

- the new rookie kicker and heck even special teams we have never had great SPecial teams just middle of the pack remember when ST brought down San deigo that one year im afraid that might happen to us
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012   #85
SteveSlaton20
All Pro

Rep Power: 717 SteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to SteveSlaton20

I'm not concern about Yates at all if our defense performs. Those last couple of games, were when the defense didn't have Wade Phillips calling the plays and they played terrible. Yates was only a rookie, with only one good receiver in Owen Daniels, while Andre was out, and he didn't have any offseason. He wasn't even on the game day roster until we played the Jaguars in week 12. The good things about him is that he's very athletic, which is a good advantage on bootlegs and play actions, and he has a strong arm. Oh, and is good at getting away from the pressure, which Schaub can't really do. As long as Foster and Tate do their thing, and the OL is playing as well as last year, he's going to be fine. Taking all the first team reps is just going to help him become a better quarterback and will help with the timing a lot.
Old 05-05-2012   #86
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 212038 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I disagree. TJ was better at the end of the year. Go back and look at the Colts game. He performed well. He only had 3 incompletions...He pretty much did as well as he could under the circumstances. Except for yards, he had his best game of the season and really his yards were limited due to the fact that he also had his lowest attempts of the season.

Against Tennessee he only threw the ball 4 times, but he connected on all 4....???

Against ATL in the play-offs (our first play off win ever; remember that?) he played pretty damn well too.

Cam Newton was the #1 overall pick and was a rookie just like Yates. Newton probably had the best season by a rookie QB ever. Is it really a surprise that he out performed Yates? Were you expecting something different?

And if Orvlosky outperformed him (which he really didn't) maybe you should direct your attention to the defense rather than Yates???

Yes in Baltimore he played terrible. That said, a lot of QB's play bad against that defense. Yates played comparably to Andy Dalton against that same defense, and Dalton had the benefit of being prepared as the starter since day 1.

We can agree to disagree on Yates, that's fine. But I think it's just plain wrong to say the guy didn't perform well (relatively speaking).
I guess we'll agree to disagree then.

It just worries me that our offense only generated two 20+ point performances with Yates under center AND with the running game getting 100-yd games. And before you point to the Cincy playoff game, seven of the 31 pts in the Cincy playoff game belong to the defense.

I hope Schaub is back and fully functional. And I hope the improvement in Yates some are predicting comes to pass. We may need both before the season is out.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012   #87
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146271 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Matt Schaub's durability. He is ahead of schedule with his foot so that should no longer be a primary concern, just his core strength in general. He is not gifted athletically, thus exposing him to vulnerable positions. Awkward moments that's what concerns me the most.

Then he's going to have a revamped OL to protect him? So this is my second concern. They need to lock up Duane Brown to a long term extension.
Today

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read