Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-03-2012   #61
Fico
Rookie

Rep Power: 1386 Fico is a quality contributor and well respectedFico is a quality contributor and well respectedFico is a quality contributor and well respectedFico is a quality contributor and well respectedFico is a quality contributor and well respectedFico is a quality contributor and well respectedFico is a quality contributor and well respectedFico is a quality contributor and well respectedFico is a quality contributor and well respectedFico is a quality contributor and well respectedFico is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Biggest Concern Going Forward

2011 Eli over Brady
2010 Rodgers over Rapeburger
2009 Brees over Manning
2008 Rapeburger over Warner
2007 Eli over Brady
2006 Manning over exception to rule Grossman
2005 Exception to rule Rapeburger over Exception Hasselbeck
2004 Brady over McNabb
2003 Brady over exception Delhomme
2002 Exception B. Johnson over Gannon
2001 Brady over Warner
2000 Double exception Superbowl
1999 Warner over McNair

Of the last 26 Superbowl teams, 19 received "elite" to very high level (argue semantics here) QB play either throughout the whole season or through the playoffs.

In the last 5 years, 10 of the last 10 teams to make the Superbowl had great QB play. With the way the NFL is today you are only going to see this trend continue.
Fico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012   #62
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 264718 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fico View Post
2011 Eli over Brady
2009 Brees over Manning
2007 Eli over Brady
2004 Brady over McNabb
2001 Brady over Warner
1999 Warner over McNair

Of the last 26 Superbowl teams, 19 received "elite" to very high level (argue semantics here) QB play either throughout the whole season or through the playoffs.

In the last 5 years, 10 of the last 10 teams to make the Superbowl had great QB play. With the way the NFL is today you are only going to see this trend continue.
It all depends on how you want to spin it and how you define elite. Of that list, I only consider Brady, Peyton, Rodgers, Warner, and Brees elite. I don't consider Roethlisburger, Eli, McNair, Gannon, or McNabb elite QBs. They were very good but they weren't elite.

By that count, it's 12/26 or 46%.

This is one of those agree to disagree situations because it all comes down to how you define elite. Now, if you want to say that you need to get good production out of your QB to win the SB, sure... although Roethlisberger and EManning were streaky as hell and Roethlisberger's 1st SB was won despite his performance.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012   #63
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17176 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
2011 Eli over Brady
2009 Brees over Manning
2007 Eli over Brady
2004 Brady over McNabb
2001 Brady over Warner
1999 Warner over McNair

I think you just need a QB to play clutch in the right situations. Schaub has had clutch moments and if the Texans were in the SB against any other team I'd feel confident that he could rise to the challenge. It's not like he's DC and his career game would be only 3 sacks and no 2 yard passes. Schaub has carried the team on his back before. He isn't that guy every week, and doesn't have to be. Eli can be inconsistent, but he's extremely clutch in the playoffs. We don't know what Matt can do in that situation. Not yet at least.
Old 05-03-2012   #64
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 102049 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasam82 View Post
In a nutshell... QB.

Please keep in mind that I am talking about the long term success of the Texans. Schaub is no spring chicken and at least moderately injury prone. I think we have the talent on both sides of the ball to be a dominant team for years to come, but we need to address the future of our QB position. I am honestly a fan of TJ and I think he can develop into a pretty solid starter, but we all know how important it is to have a top 10 QB in today's NFL if you want to be a superbowl contender.

What do you guys think? How much longer can we count on Schaub? Is Yates the answer long term? I am worried this team could turn into Ravens 2.0. Great D, with a solid run game, but no true leader at QB. Making the playoffs is great, but I want to push for the ring.
If a healthy Schaub is out there, than we have a great chance to do just about anything.

If Yates is out there, than this team has no chance.

It's really that simple.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012   #65
Fico
Rookie

Rep Power: 1386 Fico is a quality contributor and well respectedFico is a quality contributor and well respectedFico is a quality contributor and well respectedFico is a quality contributor and well respectedFico is a quality contributor and well respectedFico is a quality contributor and well respectedFico is a quality contributor and well respectedFico is a quality contributor and well respectedFico is a quality contributor and well respectedFico is a quality contributor and well respectedFico is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
It all depends on how you want to spin it and how you define elite. Of that list, I only consider Brady, Peyton, Rodgers, Warner, and Brees elite. I don't consider Roethlisburger, Eli, McNair, Gannon, or McNabb elite QBs. They were very good but they weren't elite.

By that count, it's 12/26 or 46%.

This is one of those agree to disagree situations because it all comes down to how you define elite. Now, if you want to say that you need to get good production out of your QB to win the SB, sure... although Roethlisberger and EManning were streaky as hell and Roethlisberger's 1st SB was won despite his performance.
You are judging based on their career. I was concerned with their play that particular season/playoff.

Those guys that you don't consider elite played as good or better during their Superbowl/title runs than the guys you consider elite.

Everyone can argue semantics, and what qualifies as elite, but the fact remains you need very good to excellent QB play to make/win the Superbowl much more often than not.
Fico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012   #66
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 153912 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Derek Newton backs up Butler; he'll take over if Butler goes down. Brooks will be one of the starting guards.
Fig Newton? WHAHAHA I think we selected Mondek to replace Cookie Man.
Old 05-03-2012   #67
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 ckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post
Wrong!! Our Oline is F'd up, thanks to bonehead off season moves! No way Foster or Tate will be that good all by themselves! We better get our new WRs up and running before Sept, or we won't see the playoffs! JMO!
The O-line is fine. We have Brown and we have Myers. The others were expendable. You are now on a three exclamation point limit.
ckhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-03-2012   #68
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 ckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
If a healthy Schaub is out there, than we have a great chance to do just about anything.

It's really that simple.
Waiting for the punch line.
ckhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012   #69
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 264718 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You are judging based on their career. I was concerned with their play that particular season/playoff.

Those guys that you don't consider elite played as good or better during their Superbowl/title runs than the guys you consider elite.

Everyone can argue semantics, and what qualifies as elite, but the fact remains you need very good to excellent QB play to make/win the Superbowl much more often than not.
Like I said, it all depends on how you want to define the term 'elite'.

If you want to say that any QB who gets on a hot streak is elite while in that streak, OK. I don't think that's how most people define that term but... OK.

For me, 'elite' is a career thing. It means able to put up amazing passing totals year after year and a guy who finds a way to elevate the team's play. Most elite guys are going to be winners, although that's not as important a distinction for me as it is for some. Most elite guys are going to have some times during their career when they don't perform up to that level.
Old 05-04-2012   #70
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Fig Newton? WHAHAHA I think we selected Mondek to replace Cookie Man.
I don't think so. Kubiak was totally high on Newton all last season. Newton even got a little PT, iirc.

I think Newton's development, along with Rashad Butler, is the reason they felt so comfortable just letting Winston go.
Old 05-04-2012   #71
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

It's really that simple.
I disagree. I think Yates did surprisingly well considering several things :

A- First and foremost a rookie
B- Strike shortened off-season
C- He got 3rd string reps during a strike shortened season
D- Really thrown into the fire

I'm not saying he's pro-bowl bound next year, but it's likely he's going to see first team snaps most of the OTAs and likely throughout training camp at least.

Until I see otherwise from Matt Schaub, I have Yates penciled in as week one starter. It concerns me even more that even IF he is on schedule to recover on time....what is going to be the short and long term effects off a lisfrac break to a player who already has limited mobility? If it hampers him even more, he becomes a sitting duck and I just don't have the confidence that he can withstand the punishment for 16 weeks.

The good news is we have quite a bit of time before the season starts and that means a LOT of time to evaluate Schaub during the rehab process. If he starts to struggle, even a little, I think you've got to really alter the way you approach the offense moving forward.

Best case scenario even, we've got to be realistic about what we have at WR as of today on the roster and who we have at TE.

Wr : An elite WR and a WR who should be a slot guy as veterans....then a lot of youth.

TE: aside from OD and Graham, who has caught one pass, we have nothing. Maybe Casey moved?
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012   #72
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 223239 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

It's really that simple.
Agreed.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012   #73
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

If Yates hasn't progressed since his rookie year then I agree. But since I think he'll be much better heading into the season I disagree.

I think Yates is going to surprise some people.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012   #74
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 223239 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
If Yates hasn't progressed since his rookie year then I agree. But since I think he'll be much better heading into the season I disagree.

My hesitancy/doubtfulness comes from the lack of improvement in his ability to go thru his progressions from his initial Jacksonville appearance up to and thru the Baltimore game. There was one bright ray of sunshine when he led the game-winning drive against the Bungles to win. He also threw for 300 yds in that game. After that he never showed that spark again. And we went on to close out the season losing three straight - although I won't attribute the last loss (to Tenn.) to his performance. But even throwing that game out, he got outperformed by Cam Newton (IN Reliant!) and Dan Freakin' Orlovsky in successive weeks.

Surprise some people?? No, I think Yates is going to disappoint some people. I hope I'm wrong and he shows these leaps of improvement some of you are predicting.

Actually, I hope it doesn't come down to Yates' performance.
Old 05-04-2012   #75
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post

My hesitancy/doubtfulness comes from the lack of improvement in his ability to go thru his progressions from his initial Jacksonville appearance up to and thru the Baltimore game. There was one bright ray of sunshine when he led the game-winning drive against the Bungles to win. He also threw for 300 yds in that game. After that he never showed that spark again. And we went on to close out the season losing three straight - although I won't attribute the last loss (to Tenn.) to his performance. But even throwing that game out, he got outperformed by Cam Newton (IN Reliant!) and Dan Freakin' Orlovsky in successive weeks. In both those games Foster had over 100 yds rushing (over 150 in the Colts game) so he had help.

Surprise some people?? Maybe. I hope I'm wrong and he shows these leaps of improvement some of you are predicting.

Actually, I hope it doesn't come down to Yates' performance.
Old 05-04-2012   #76
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Matt Schaub's durability. He is ahead of schedule with his foot so that should no longer be a primary concern, just his core strength in general. He is not gifted athletically, thus exposing him to vulnerable positions. Awkward moments that's what concerns me the most.

Then he's going to have a revamped OL to protect him? So this is my second concern. They need to lock up Duane Brown to a long term extension.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012   #77
speedfreek
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 32864 speedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respected

That's my biggest complaint about schaub. He's so anthropometrically "awkward". He looks "clumsy" when he moves
around to avoid the rush.

Also, to me, he looks as if he's lost confidence in his ability
to take a hit as well. I recall numerous times where he's
sensed a hand on him and immediately dropped to the ground.

Yates is willing to try to break a grasp/tackle and take off.

TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Matt Schaub's durability. He is ahead of schedule with his foot so that should no longer be a primary concern, just his core strength in general. He is not gifted athletically, thus exposing him to vulnerable positions. Awkward moments that's what concerns me the most.

Then he's going to have a revamped OL to protect him? So this is my second concern. They need to lock up Duane Brown to a long term extension.
speedfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012   #78
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 119106 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

It's really that simple.
Surprisingly, I somewhat agree.

The only disagreement is having no chance with Yates. There's no doubt Schaub gives us a better chance at winning. Yates sorta proved last year he could muster up enough points to win a few games. So with that said, he gives us a chance to win. Albeit a lesser chance than Schaub
Old 05-04-2012   #79
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't think so. Kubiak was totally high on Newton all last season. Newton even got a little PT, iirc.

I think Newton's development, along with Rashad Butler, is the reason they felt so comfortable just letting Winston go.
And after the draft as well Gary was very complimentary of his play and looking Newton looking at a bright future, or something to that effect. Didn't sound like coach speak (to me) but I guess it could have been.

As to the last line, that's the way I see it.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012   #80
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 36959 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

At the end of the day I have concerns outside of sports in my life if things go well than great.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read