Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-01-2012   #21
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 118955 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Biggest Concern Going Forward

SOmething I don't think some of you are considering at least not mentioning: "Hi I am Matt Scahub and I just had a good 2012 & I want $15m+ first year and 2 years guaranteed on a five year deal."

QB are a premium. Tannehill going #8? Old guys & dufuses recycled every year. It would take a Wade Phillips type epiphany for Schaub to remain with Houston if he has a good season. I expect more of a Mario Williams type epiphany "You are going to pay me how much? Quick, let me Twitter something negative about Houston as I get on the plane."

I think we all need to watch college QBs this year and hope someone slips.
Old 05-01-2012   #22
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 192005 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
What are your thoughts on going forward with Matt after his contract ends pre2013 season? I think you are saying TJ will start that year?
There are so many factors feeding into this that it's hard to say at this point.

1) If Matt makes it back and plays lights out, you gotta keep him UNLESS you think TJ has developed into a better QB (which I doubt will happen.)

2) If Matt makes it back and gets injured or doesn't play lights out, you gotta let him walk.

3) If Matt doesn't make it back before the start of the season and TJ develops and starts the 2012 season lights out, it's going to be hard to keep Matt.

4) If Matt doesn't make it back before the start of the season and TJ doesn't develop and looks like a scrub and Matt comes back looking good, it's going to be hard to get rid of Matt.

And then there are all the shades of gray. And what I expect to have happen is a shade of gray of #3.

I expect Matt to miss the first 3-4 games of the season. I expect TJ to come in and look only OK. Not a scrub, but not leading the league in passing, either. I expect Matt to win his job back and play well, but not as good as he played prior to the injury. I expect Matt to have issues with planting and getting enough zip on the ball but I think his knowledge of the system to make him our best option at QB even though TJ has better physical abilities. In short, I expect a QB controversy to start mid-season. Ultimately, I'm afraid our best option is going to be to let him walk at the end of the season but it's going to be a hard decision to make.

I also expect to be 100% wrong but I don't know what I'm messing up.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012   #23
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 118955 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
There are so many factors feeding into this that it's hard to say at this point.

1) If Matt makes it back and plays lights out, you gotta keep him UNLESS you think TJ has developed into a better QB (which I doubt will happen.)

2) If Matt makes it back and gets injured or doesn't play lights out, you gotta let him walk.

3) If Matt doesn't make it back before the start of the season and TJ develops and starts the 2012 season lights out, it's going to be hard to keep Matt.

4) If Matt doesn't make it back before the start of the season and TJ doesn't develop and looks like a scrub and Matt comes back looking good, it's going to be hard to get rid of Matt.

And then there are all the shades of gray. And what I expect to have happen is a shade of gray of #3.

I expect Matt to miss the first 3-4 games of the season. I expect TJ to come in and look only OK. Not a scrub, but not leading the league in passing, either. I expect Matt to win his job back and play well, but not as good as he played prior to the injury. I expect Matt to have issues with planting and getting enough zip on the ball but I think his knowledge of the system to make him our best option at QB even though TJ has better physical abilities. In short, I expect a QB controversy to start mid-season. Ultimately, I'm afraid our best option is going to be to let him walk at the end of the season but it's going to be a hard decision to make.

I also expect to be 100% wrong but I don't know what I'm messing up.
Good post. Way to explain your thoughts. Enjoyed the read.
Old 05-01-2012   #24
Lady.Gaga.3000
Veteran

Rep Power: 417 Lady.Gaga.3000 is a quality contributor and well respectedLady.Gaga.3000 is a quality contributor and well respectedLady.Gaga.3000 is a quality contributor and well respectedLady.Gaga.3000 is a quality contributor and well respectedLady.Gaga.3000 is a quality contributor and well respectedLady.Gaga.3000 is a quality contributor and well respectedLady.Gaga.3000 is a quality contributor and well respectedLady.Gaga.3000 is a quality contributor and well respectedLady.Gaga.3000 is a quality contributor and well respectedLady.Gaga.3000 is a quality contributor and well respectedLady.Gaga.3000 is a quality contributor and well respected

If Johnathan Joseph goes down with an injury, we will have:

Kareem Jackson
Brandon Harris
Brice McCain

Behind Schaub going down, I think Joseph is the biggest player we can least afford to lose.
Lady.Gaga.3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012   #25
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 70964 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasam82 View Post
In a nutshell... QB.

Please keep in mind that I am talking about the long term success of the Texans. Schaub is no spring chicken and at least moderately injury prone. I think we have the talent on both sides of the ball to be a dominant team for years to come, but we need to address the future of our QB position. I am honestly a fan of TJ and I think he can develop into a pretty solid starter, but we all know how important it is to have a top 10 QB in today's NFL if you want to be a superbowl contender.

What do you guys think? How much longer can we count on Schaub? Is Yates the answer long term? I am worried this team could turn into Ravens 2.0. Great D, with a solid run game, but no true leader at QB. Making the playoffs is great, but I want to push for the ring.
Schaub is what? 30? 31 when he gets his next contract? I think he is good for another 4-5 years which will be enough to get our money's worth of the next contract. Also, this is a QB driven league. So if you dont think Schaub is worth the money you better have a better alternative lined up. And right now we dont.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012   #26
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77713 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
Schaub is what? 30? 31 when he gets his next contract? I think he is good for another 4-5 years which will be enough to get our money's worth of the next contract. Also, this is a QB driven league. So if you dont think Schaub is worth the money you better have a better alternative lined up. And right now we dont.
He will ask for franchise QB money. I like Matt, but he is not a franchise QB.

His age can be a factor. If he stayed healthy it wouldn't be, but his body couldn't take a beating when he was 26, let alone when he gets into his 30s.

I could see the Texans taking a run at Hoyer or Mallett on the Patriots if Schaub doesn't come back next season
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012   #27
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady.Gaga.3000 View Post
If Johnathan Joseph goes down with an injury, we will have:

Kareem Jackson
Brandon Harris
Brice McCain

Behind Schaub going down, I think Joseph is the biggest player we can least afford to lose.
Gonna disagree as Wade can scheme for that. It would hurt but not as much as losing Rashab Butler RT, If Duane goes down, Butler could move to LT. We have only Brooks to replace Butler and that could be disastrous first season. We would prob have to move a big TE permanently to Brooks right hip.
Old 05-02-2012   #28
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
[/b]Gonna disagree as Wade can scheme for that. It would hurt but not as much as losing Rashab Butler RT, If Duane goes down, Butler could move to LT. We have only Brooks to replace Butler and that could be disastrous first season. We would prob have to move a big TE permanently to Brooks right hip.
We'd probably end up having to call a guy like Salaam
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012   #29
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 192005 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
[/b]Gonna disagree as Wade can scheme for that. It would hurt but not as much as losing Rashab Butler RT, If Duane goes down, Butler could move to LT. We have only Brooks to replace Butler and that could be disastrous first season. We would prob have to move a big TE permanently to Brooks right hip.
Derek Newton backs up Butler; he'll take over if Butler goes down. Brooks will be one of the starting guards.
Old 05-02-2012   #30
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 266978 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

I truly do not understand the TJ love. He was a caretaker QB for a team which could accommodate a caretaker at QB. Yeah, yeah, Schaub isn't a franchise QB but there is a decent chance the team is playing in the Super Bowl with him at the helm last season.
Old 05-02-2012   #31
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I truly do not understand the TJ love. He was a caretaker QB for a team which could accommodate a caretaker at QB. Yeah, yeah, Schaub isn't a franchise QB but there is a decent chance the team is playing in the Super Bowl with him at the helm last season.
A lot of rookies come in and look really bad. Most of them can't even caretake a team. TJ showed flashes of being able to be something very good, as good as Schaub and maybe better... eventually. Right now, Schaub is infinitely better than TJ and, yes, I think if Schaub had been healthy, we would have:

1. steamrolled the rest of the season
2. had home field advantage through the playoffs
3. won the Super Bowl.

But we didn't.

With a full training camp beneath his belt, I think TJ will be much better than he was last year. I think he has the ability and the potential to be an elite QB in this league... but only in 3-4 years. Not now.

So I want TJ to get a taste of being the starter. I want him to get that experience and I want him to grow and mature because of it. And then I want him back on the bench watching Matt lead us to the SB to see how it's done. I think TJ can learn a lot from that.

And then, in the future, we will have to face the question of letting Matt go because TJ is as good as he is or whether to trade TJ away for something because he's good and got a reputation around the league and becomes the hot backup with potential to be a starter... like Schaub was.
Old 05-02-2012   #32
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 266978 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

I am not slagging TJ and certainly hope he gets better. It is just the enthusiasm seems a little overkill. There were plays last year people look at and say wow TJ was so athletic, Schaub couldn't have made that play but the more realistic view is the Schaub would have moved up better in the pocket or the ball already would have left Schaub's hand and he wouldn't have had to run out of the pocket. I certainly hope TJ develops but what I saw last year was not a starter by choice.
Old 05-02-2012   #33
phantom17
#1 Fan in RGV!

Rep Power: 1292 phantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasam82 View Post
In a nutshell... QB.

Please keep in mind that I am talking about the long term success of the Texans. Schaub is no spring chicken and at least moderately injury prone. I think we have the talent on both sides of the ball to be a dominant team for years to come, but we need to address the future of our QB position. I am honestly a fan of TJ and I think he can develop into a pretty solid starter, but we all know how important it is to have a top 10 QB in today's NFL if you want to be a superbowl contender.

What do you guys think? How much longer can we count on Schaub? Is Yates the answer long term? I am worried this team could turn into Ravens 2.0. Great D, with a solid run game, but no true leader at QB. Making the playoffs is great, but I want to push for the ring.
I agree! I'm also worried if Schaub will ever recover to play at a high level after the surgery! Frankly, I dont trust Smitiak about any players condition after an injury, just too many "aw shuck moments about the kids"! I'm kinda worried about TJ ever becoming a starter for the Texans! He just doesn't have that "zip" on the ball to get between the defenders quickly! Also, I think a replacement for Joel Dreesen was not addressed. Did they really find a replacement for the Caveman, & I hope Wade P. will stay a long time as DC. However, I really like the draft picks, & Case K as a UDFA. I hope he finds a way on the team as a back up or eventual starter!
Old 05-02-2012   #34
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 65389 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Biggest concern is WR. After Andre and Kevin its a lot of hope and prayer.
Old 05-03-2012   #35
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 ckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respected

As I have stated before I do not think Matt Schaub will ever take another regular season snap as a Texan. Yates will have to be very impressive this year to solidify himself as the future QB for the team. If he doesnt have a great year, we need to start looking to draft our franchise guy or maybe trade for someone.

Cousins will know the system after next year. If RG3 performs well, Cousins will be trade bait most likely.
ckhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012   #36
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I am not slagging TJ and certainly hope he gets better. It is just the enthusiasm seems a little overkill. There were plays last year people look at and say wow TJ was so athletic, Schaub couldn't have made that play but the more realistic view is the Schaub would have moved up better in the pocket or the ball already would have left Schaub's hand and he wouldn't have had to run out of the pocket.
I don't think anyone is saying Yates is as good as Schaub. I think what people have seen with Yates is that he has the potential to be a good starting QB...Whether that is a level below, about the same or better than Schaub is something that is debatable....

But no one can say Yates is already as good as Schaub.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012   #37
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 201178 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
With a full training camp beneath his belt, I think TJ will be much better than he was last year. I think he has the ability and the potential to be an elite QB in this league... but only in 3-4 years. Not now.

3 to 4 years? If it takes him that long, we might as well go with Case Keenum. Schaub won't be on the team in 3 to 4 years anyway. The biggest question mark on the Texans right now is the QB position and Schaub's health. Without knowing the answers to any of that, it's very hard to predict anything from the Texans. I would say though, that even if Schaub never comes back TJ is still good enough to win the division with and make another playoff run. The SB is another question though.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012   #38
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I expect Yates to be much better this season. Yes, I said much.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012   #39
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
3 to 4 years? If it takes him that long, we might as well go with Case Keenum. Schaub won't be on the team in 3 to 4 years anyway. The biggest question mark on the Texans right now is the QB position and Schaub's health. Without knowing the answers to any of that, it's very hard to predict anything from the Texans. I would say though, that even if Schaub never comes back TJ is still good enough to win the division with and make another playoff run. The SB is another question though.
I think it takes any QB that long to mature. It took Matt a few years to mature and it will take Case a few years to mature as well. Even if we go out and draft a highly touted QB in the draft, it's going to take him a few years before he's elite.

Most QBs don't even make it to that status. Many flame out.

With a good enough team, you don't need an elite QB to win SBs.
Old 05-03-2012   #40
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 201178 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
With a good enough team, you don't need an elite QB to win SBs.
History has certainly proven that true.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read