Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-30-2012   #1
texasam82
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 texasam82 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasam82 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasam82 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasam82 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasam82 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasam82 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasam82 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasam82 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasam82 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasam82 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasam82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Biggest Concern Going Forward

In a nutshell... QB.

Please keep in mind that I am talking about the long term success of the Texans. Schaub is no spring chicken and at least moderately injury prone. I think we have the talent on both sides of the ball to be a dominant team for years to come, but we need to address the future of our QB position. I am honestly a fan of TJ and I think he can develop into a pretty solid starter, but we all know how important it is to have a top 10 QB in today's NFL if you want to be a superbowl contender.

What do you guys think? How much longer can we count on Schaub? Is Yates the answer long term? I am worried this team could turn into Ravens 2.0. Great D, with a solid run game, but no true leader at QB. Making the playoffs is great, but I want to push for the ring.
texasam82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012   #2
SteveSlaton20
All Pro

Rep Power: 717 SteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to SteveSlaton20
Default Re: Biggest Concern Going Forward

Even though they were outstanding last year, my biggest concern is, can the defense repeat last year? I've seen defense played well one year and play terrible the next. I love Wade Phillip, but he still has to prove that he can do it again. If they can play as well as they did last year, then I really don't have any concern except that Foster or Tate suffering a bad injury or something. Our QBs play will be fine as long as defense does work.
Old 04-30-2012   #3
texasam82
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 texasam82 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasam82 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasam82 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasam82 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasam82 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasam82 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasam82 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasam82 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasam82 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasam82 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasam82 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSlaton20 View Post
Even though they were outstanding last year, my biggest concern is, can the defense repeat last year? I've seen defense played well one year and play terrible the next. I love Wade Phillip, but he still has to prove that he can do it again. If they can play as well as they did last year, then I really don't have any concern except that Foster or Tate suffering a bad injury or something. Our QBs play will be fine as long as defense does work.
I was viewing this discussion as a "going forward" type of thing. 3 years from now how will our QB play be? Because our D should be even better then than it is now.
Old 04-30-2012   #4
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 76476 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

I think this year will show what direction the team needs to go at QB. If Yates has a solid TC and preseason, it could very well ease Kubiak's mind on the subject and Yates will be the heir apparant to Schaub. A fantastic showing could mean that Schaub is gone after next season, instead of signing him to a big contract.
DocBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012   #5
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasam82 View Post
I was viewing this discussion as a "going forward" type of thing. 3 years from now how will our QB play be? Because our D should be even better then than it is now.
tbh, I'm a little nervous that Wade might be tempted to leave for a HC position in the coming years. Watching the Carolina and Indy games last year were brutal
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012   #6
texasam82
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allstar View Post
tbh, I'm a little nervous that Wade might be tempted to leave for a HC position in the coming years. Watching the Carolina and Indy games last year were brutal
I was terrified of this exact situation last year! I hope Wade has some loyalty to the organization and realized that he is a much better DC than HC. I also hope we can keep paying him HC money to keep him here.
Old 04-30-2012   #7
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 143539 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Glad you started thread as I wanted to yesterday on 2013 needs but would only get clobbered again for rushing things. Agree on Schaub but an eventual WR1 needs to be drafted. I don't see a QB option other than Yates so either he is real deal or we will be paying out the nose to hopefully re-sign Matt. If you thought debate on Mario was hot just wait. I can see Reed & Mercilus going forward in 2013 with Barwin going elsewhere but if that happens we will probably select another OLB in first or second rounds.

Even if all our 2012 picks deliver we still need WR/OLB/ILB/TE and maybe a corner. I was hoping we could draft BPA but don't see that happening unless our "need" is BPA.

I also agree Wade could be gone after next season. I was pleasantly surprised he remained.
Old 04-30-2012   #8
TdotTexas2Step
All Pro

Rep Power: 1976 TdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I was terrified of this exact situation last year! I hope Wade has some loyalty to the organization and realized that he is a much better DC than HC. I also hope we can keep paying him HC money to keep him here.
The elite of the elite all have one thing in common, and it's their pride. I could be wrong but I just get the vibe from Wade that he wants another shot at it. He doesn't want to just be remembered as an incredible defensive coordinator.

People will point to Dick LeBeau as an example of someone willing to accept what he is, but LeBeau knew that he was significantly better a coordinator than he was a head coach.

Wade on the other hand has been a pretty solid coach regardless of how media may spin it. He finished with a .607 record in Dallas, .604 in Buffalo and .500 in what was really his first head coach stint in Denver.
TdotTexas2Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012   #9
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 231518 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

It's not unusual for QBs to be productive all the way into their 40's. Schaub's age doesn't worry me in the least. He has gotten injured a few times and that does worry me. I expect Schaub to miss a few games early in the season but come back and play lights out at the end.

It will be interesting to watch TJ's development. He's got all the tools to be great in this system.

My biggest concern is Wade Phillips. He wants to be a head coach. I don't know how long we'll be able to keep him around. And I don't really trust this staff to find a successor for him.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012   #10
SteveSlaton20
All Pro

Rep Power: 717 SteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
oh ok. if wade is still here in 3 years from now, then it's def QB lol.

I'm not going to lie, I wanted us to get RGIII/New QB in the draft after Schaub went down, but obviously he played too well and went #2 overall. I think Schaub has two good years left in him IMO, and I'd like to get a new QB next year so he can learn the system from Schaub, Yates and Kubiak.

If Yates can prove he can play as well as Schaub, then I wouldn't mind sticking with him, but I'd be down for a 1st round franchise QB.
Old 04-30-2012   #11
texasam82
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Glad you started thread as I wanted to yesterday on 2013 needs but would only get clobbered again for rushing things. Agree on Schaub but an eventual WR1 needs to be drafted. I don't see a QB option other than Yates so either he is real deal or we will be paying out the nose to hopefully re-sign Matt. If you thought debate on Mario was hot just wait. I can see Reed & Mercilus going forward in 2013 with Barwin going elsewhere but if that happens we will probably select another OLB in first or second rounds.

Even if all our 2012 picks deliver we still need WR/OLB/ILB/TE and maybe a corner. I was hoping we could draft BPA but don't see that happening unless our "need" is BPA.

I also agree Wade could be gone after next season. I was pleasantly surprised he remained.

Glad to be of service my man. I'm with you though... it's NEVER too early to plan for the future. Whether in regards to the Texans, my 401k, real estate investments, or forcing myself to hit the gym. The time is now and it always will be.
Old 04-30-2012   #12
msbbc833
Veteran

Rep Power: 577 msbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respected

How much do ya'll expect Schaub to command? He already makes 8mil a year I believe.
msbbc833 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012   #13
SteveSlaton20
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbbc833 View Post
How much do ya'll expect Schaub to command? He already makes 8mil a year I believe.
the average for starting quarterbacks is about $10M so that's not bad.
Old 05-01-2012   #14
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

I think immediately, the Texans are in decent shape with Schaub, Yates and Delhomme or Keenum. But after this year......

Well, let me put this way. Until you have a Manning, a Tom Brady or an Aaron Rodgers tossing the rock for you the need to improve at QB is a high priority EVERY year. I like Schaubby, I'm a pretty big fan of Yates but I don't believe either one has league-dominating potential.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012   #15
Porky
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56384 Porky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not too concerned in the medium term (2-4 yrs) with Schaub's age, but I am worried about his durability. This is a very key yr for Matt and the Texans. If he suffers another major injury do you pull the plug? His contract is up. Do we want to re-up with a guy that can't stay healthy? If that is the case, we are in immediate panic mode. OTOH, if he doesn't miss a snap (or close to it) and he plays well, I'm thinking you have to try to resign the guy. He isn't great, but he is good in this system and knows it backwards and forwards. If we do resign him, and he's again durable, I don't really worry about finding a starter to mold behind him in the draft until 2015 or maybe even 2016.

With Yates, I don't think he is long term starter material, or at least not good starter material. I thought they protected him to the max last year. He did prove that the mental side isn't too big for him, and I think he can improve, but I didn't see "it" with Yates. I think in general the fanbase over-valued his contribution because he was the QB that led us into the playoffs and won a game - but I think it was mostly despite Yates not because of it. I do like his future as a solid back-up though.

The rest is up in the air and a total crapshoot. We can't tell with Keenum until we see how he performs as a pro, but I don't see future starter with him either - but will reserve final judgement on that until we see him more. I do think he was a wise pickup as a UDFA though, and someone that can be developed.
Old 05-01-2012   #16
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 76476 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky View Post
I'm not too concerned in the medium term (2-4 yrs) with Schaub's age, but I am worried about his durability. This is a very key yr for Matt and the Texans. If he suffers another major injury do you pull the plug? His contract is up. Do we want to re-up with a guy that can't stay healthy? If that is the case, we are in immediate panic mode. OTOH, if he doesn't miss a snap (or close to it) and he plays well, I'm thinking you have to try to resign the guy. He isn't great, but he is good in this system and knows it backwards and forwards. If we do resign him, and he's again durable, I don't really worry about finding a starter to mold behind him in the draft until 2015 or maybe even 2016.

With Yates, I don't think he is long term starter material, or at least not good starter material. I thought they protected him to the max last year. He did prove that the mental side isn't too big for him, and I think he can improve, but I didn't see "it" with Yates. I think in general the fanbase over-valued his contribution because he was the QB that led us into the playoffs and won a game - but I think it was mostly despite Yates not because of it. I do like his future as a solid back-up though.

The rest is up in the air and a total crapshoot. We can't tell with Keenum until we see how he performs as a pro, but I don't see future starter with him either - but will reserve final judgement on that until we see him more. I do think he was a wise pickup as a UDFA though, and someone that can be developed.
If Schaub stays healthy and plays well, I think we'll re-sign him and give Yates a couple more years of grooming or start looking for Schaubs successor.
I'm going to wait til the preseason is over before I rate Yates. If he makes a nice jump this year, I can see long-term success with him. I don't think the Texans max protecting a 5th round rookie, forced to start due to injury, is any kind of indictment of Yates. That just seems like the smart thing to do.
DocBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012   #17
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 89251 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

The combination of a new RT and a QB that can't take a hit concerns me.

Its a QB-WR driven sport now. RBs and defenses are good, but they both seem well on their way to becoming luxuries rather than requirements for Super Bowls
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012   #18
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 231518 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm with DocBar on the Yates thing. Like Porky said, the mental side of the game didn't seem too big for him and to me, that's HUGE because that's where most guys flame out. Almost everyone drafted at QB has the physical skills necessary to play QB in the NFL, it's the mental side where they fail.

Last year, Yates didn't get a real offseason to learn the offense. He got some extra snaps at the beginning of training camp because of Leinart being out but after Leinart came back, he was pretty much shut down. But when he came in and ran the 2 minute offense against the Jags, the game didn't look to fast for him. And then he went out and didn't lose two games in a row against playoff caliber teams.

For a 3rd string, 5th round rookie, what he accomplished was a bit amazing and shows potential for growth. Did they modify the gameplan and the playbook to protect him? Yeah. Does that mean that's all he'll ever be? No. What we saw with him that makes me excited was the ability to look long and put the ball where it needed to be and we saw him show escapability in the pocket and more pocket awareness than we've ever seen in a Texans QB. He didn't have full command of the offense and he didn't make all the right reads and adjustments.

We should see big strides forward with him in preseason. If we don't, then we need to start getting nervous.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012   #19
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 224197 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

My immediate concern is the QB situation, in that I just don't believe Schaub is coming back on time.

Other than that, I'm concerned about Wade staying, the WR position, and defensive backs.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012   #20
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 143539 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
It's not unusual for QBs to be productive all the way into their 40's. Schaub's age doesn't worry me in the least. He has gotten injured a few times and that does worry me. I expect Schaub to miss a few games early in the season but come back and play lights out at the end.

It will be interesting to watch TJ's development. He's got all the tools to be great in this system.

My biggest concern is Wade Phillips. He wants to be a head coach. I don't know how long we'll be able to keep him around. And I don't really trust this staff to find a successor for him.
What are your thoughts on going forward with Matt after his contract ends pre2013 season? I think you are saying TJ will start that year?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read