Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-30-2012   #1
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Can we start next season with Schaub, Yates and Keenum at QB?

Assuming Schaub is healthy or close to healthy?

I'm not saying don't bring a vet QB in to get in the mix (even though I'm not sold that one will be brought in). What I'm asking is how comfortable would you be with Schaub, Yates and Keenum on the roster as the QB's?

My thinking is that Schaub will try to push to play in game 1. I'm not sure if that goes according to plan, but I think that's what he'll be gunning for. I'm skeptical about that happening, but I'm hopeful that he'll be back within the first 4 games of the season.

I'm actually pretty high on Yates. I like what he did last year all things considered. I also think that he will have grown some since last season and he will be an improved player at the QB position. He isn't a seasoned vet, but he will have been through some pretty tough wars and played in some tough situations. He's played in a home play off game and an away play off game against some pretty tough defenses. He's played in a play-off clinching victory that came down to a last second throw. He's had some ugly games and some decent games. He's played with Andre and without him.

I think he's about as good as a back-up as we'll find for us. I'm pretty high on Keenum, but I need to see him play in our system before I can talk about what I think his prospects are. I think he has the ability, but I just don't know what to expect. I think getting used to the pace of the offense and the rythm of what we do will be his biggest struggle.

Schaub, I don't know what to expect there. He's obviously the best option if healthy, but that's the problem...If healthy...

Maybe if Schaub is definitely going to be out pick up Delhomme to get back in the mix. But overall, I'm going to say that I feel about as comfortable with this group heading into the season as I would about bringing in some street FA's....

What say you?
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012   #2
TdotTexas2Step
All Pro

Rep Power: 1976 TdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Can we start next season with Schaub, Yates and Keenum at QB?

I have a lot of faith in Schaub being the starter with Yates backing him up. Keenum is a prospect, we'll see what happens as we develop him.

But, I'd feel a lot more comfortable with a QB other than Schaub on the roster who has at least a full season under his belt.
TdotTexas2Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012   #3
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

In the hypothetical scenario of Schaub starting week 1...I am comfortable with Yates and Keenum.

Kubiak is going to be very tempted to put a vet QB on there, though, but I personally think Keenum should be the QB3 here no matter what.
Old 04-30-2012   #4
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 21478 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
In the hypothetical scenario of Schaub starting week 1...I am comfortable with Yates and Keenum.

Kubiak is going to be very tempted to put a vet QB on there, though, but I personally think Keenum should be the QB3 here no matter what.
I wouldn't be suprised to see Keenum on the Practice Squad, and a veteran like say Beck come in to start the season. However if Case impresses Kubes who knows!!!

Obviousley everyone knocks Keenum on his size, but he's almost he's a tiny bit bigger than Drew Breese.
Old 04-30-2012   #5
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
I wouldn't be suprised to see Keenum on the Practice Squad, and a veteran like say Beck come in to start the season. However if Case impresses Kubes who knows!!!

Obviousley everyone knocks Keenum on his size, but he's almost he's a tiny bit bigger than Drew Breese.
If its Schaub , Yates and Keenum , Keenum will make the 53.

Gary learned his lesson about carrying 2 QB's and has said as much ....

The question when it comes to Keenum making the final 53 is .... "do they bring in a vet" who will push him to the PS or .....

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012   #6
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

Any chance they'll bring back Delhomme or Garcia again? I'm comfortable with Schaub and Yates, but would like to see them add another veteran just in case.
Old 04-30-2012   #7
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
If its Schaub , Yates and Keenum , Keenum will make the 53.

Gary learned his lesson about carrying 2 QB's and has said as much ....

The question when it comes to Keenum making the final 53 is .... "do they bring in a vet" who will push him to the PS or .....
If they didn't bring in a vet, or if a vet was brought in but didn't make the final 53, would you be ok with the Shammy, Yates and Keenum trio?
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-30-2012   #8
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 218535 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Until I see Schaub in uniform and throwing the ball, I'm thinking Yates will be starting the year. I'd much rather have Schaub healthy and starting, Yates backing up and Case learning. That would be ideal. But I'm just not convinced yet Schaub is coming back on time.

If that happens, Kubes will stick with Yates and bring in a verteran backup from somewhere, leaving Case still 3rd string and learning.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012   #9
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
If they didn't bring in a vet, or if a vet was brought in but didn't make the final 53, would you be ok with the Shammy, Yates and Keenum trio?
Yes ....Schaub will be ready for the opener. Yates behind him is enough to win with. If the 3rd guy has to play , we're </////////}'d.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012   #10
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 99659 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the Texans have to bring in a Vet.

Like Corrosion stated, if we are down to third string, we are </////////}'d. Again

Case to the practice squad. (unless he somehow impresses the hell out of Kubiak)

I am not knocking Case, but would need time, (like TJ didn't get to do) to fully grasp the offense,plus the speed of the NFL
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012   #11
texasam82
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 texasam82 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasam82 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasam82 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasam82 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasam82 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasam82 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasam82 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasam82 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasam82 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasam82 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasam82 is a quality contributor and well respected

Schaub will be fine for the season opener... I've been through this process and was fine after 6 weeks. Yates will be THE backup and IF somehow/someway Schaub is not ready Yates will get the start. There is no veteran QB they will bring in that leap frogs TJ. You guys must be nuts if you think they will shatter the confidence of Yates by sitting him in favor of a veteran reject that we sign off the street. Yates did well last year and has now finally had time to master the system and continue to grow...
texasam82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012   #12
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 77871 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasam82 View Post
Schaub will be fine for the season opener... I've been through this process and was fine after 6 weeks. Yates will be THE backup and IF somehow/someway Schaub is not ready Yates will get the start. There is no veteran QB they will bring in that leap frogs TJ. You guys must be nuts if you think they will shatter the confidence of Yates by sitting him in favor of a veteran reject that we sign off the street. Yates did well last year and has now finally had time to master the system and continue to grow...
How old are you sam? And what's your occupation? Just axin.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012   #13
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

If Schaub isn't ready to start by Week 1, then no. I would not feel comfortable at all about our chances with Yates as the starter and Keenum as the backup. I'd rather have a veteran QB backing up Yates in that scenario.

If Schaub is healthy, then yes, I think Schaub/Yates/Keenum is very likely.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012   #14
texasam82
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 texasam82 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasam82 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasam82 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasam82 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasam82 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasam82 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasam82 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasam82 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasam82 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasam82 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasam82 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
How old are you sam? And what's your occupation? Just axin.
Who is sam? I was 22 when the injury occurred. At the time I was a collegiate wrestler, fairly large amounts of stress on the ole tootsies. Why?

And furthermore, does ANYONE really think we will sign a vet that would be better prepared than Yates?

Schaub will be just fine for the opener regardless. Cmon mannn
texasam82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012   #15
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 74835 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd be ok with that lineup.
Old 04-30-2012   #16
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 33629 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

I am hopeful that Schaub will be ready to go. If not they will bring in a vet to back up TJ, who will be going thru his first full off season program. Keenum will be the #3 and if he has to play, I don't think we will be in any worse shape when our #3 had to start last year.
Old 04-30-2012   #17
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 247537 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Schaub, Yates, and Keenum would be fine as far as I'm concerned. Based on my memory Yates has started and won games in the NFL now and is not a rookie. In my book that makes him our "veteran backup" in this scenario. Keenum is learning until he proves otherwise at this level.

I'd be fine with Schaub, Yates, and Delhomme with Keenum on the practice squad this year too. That would work. Not so interested in Garcia anymore. Delhomme is 37 and can still start I think. Garcia is 42 and I'm pretty sure he's done.
Old 04-30-2012   #18
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 82785 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know who you would bring in to start in place of Schaub if he's not healthy. Yates has played in the system. He will have a full training camp plus what he played last year and I'm not sure who you could bring in (other than Garcia or Delhomme, who were brought in the mentor but not threaten Yates) that has had much experience in this system. I doubt we are going to find someone who is much better of a backup than Sage was.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012   #19
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmike View Post
I don't know who you would bring in to start in place of Schaub if he's not healthy. Yates has played in the system. He will have a full training camp plus what he played last year and I'm not sure who you could bring in (other than Garcia or Delhomme, who were brought in the mentor but not threaten Yates) that has had much experience in this system. I doubt we are going to find someone who is much better of a backup than Sage was.

Mike
I think it might be more wondering who would backup Yates if Schaub isn't healthy? I'd like Delhomme back, but it sounded like he was ready to go back and enjoy being retired after the season. Hopefully we don't have to find out though.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012   #20
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Rep Power: 2407 SW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
I think it might be more wondering who would backup Yates if Schaub isn't healthy? I'd like Delhomme back, but it sounded like he was ready to go back and enjoy being retired after the season. Hopefully we don't have to find out though.
Ryan Leaf.
SW H-TOWN is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read