Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-30-2012   #1
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans Trade Out of Second Round

Texans traded selection #58 to Tampa Bay for #68 DeVier Posey, WR (only 10 picks down) & #126 Jared Crick, DE.

Could have stayed pat & taken Ruben Randle but then could have taken Sanu instead of Brooks in 3rd as well. So obviously they had targeted Posey & felt comfortable he would be there in the 3rd while addressing another need with added pick. Having Crick last that long just blows it out of the park for me. He had a few more injury issues than I knew about but based off tape from years past, he has the potential to be a bookend for JJ Watt in next couple years.

So seems like a plus move to me, just wanted to hear some of your thoughts on subject

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012   #2
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans Trade Out of Second Round

I'd have preferred they drafted Fleener #26 and Vinny Curry #58. Still could have filled need with remaining picks. Two starters + a decent rotational OLB in 3rd. Still could have gotten 2-3 of Crick, Keshawn Martin and Ben Jones in 4th.
Old 04-30-2012   #3
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Texans traded selection #58 to Tampa Bay for #68 DeVier Posey, WR (only 10 picks down) & #126 Jared Crick, DE.

Could have stayed pat & taken Ruben Randle but then could have taken Sanu instead of Brooks in 3rd as well. So obviously they had targeted Posey & felt comfortable he would be there in the 3rd while addressing another need with added pick. Having Crick last that long just blows it out of the park for me. He had a few more injury issues than I knew about but based off tape from years past, he has the potential to be a bookend for JJ Watt in next couple years.

So seems like a plus move to me, just wanted to hear some of your thoughts on subject
The silver lining is that we got Crick.

I don't know what WR we get out of Posey. Too many conflicting reports and a 10 game absence last year makes me nervous.

Outside of this ordeal, I was very happy with the rest of the picks.

Now it's time for Posey to put actions to his words. He needs to show why the Texans took a chance on him.
Old 04-30-2012   #4
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 70276 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

What are you trying to do? Get GP all riled up again?

As for me, I also thought it was good move, since they didn't have Randle targeted, as apprarently the teams didn't him rated as high as high as the pundits.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012   #5
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

On getting an exciting prospect with a pick gained from a trade back, yep thats brilliant, the type of thing that builds championship teams over time (if it works out). We also needed to address depth at DE, not only for the depth this season, but because everyone can see Antonio Smith's contract becoming a problem in the next year or two, no matter how good he is, you'll struggle to justify a 3-4 DE over a franchise LT, franchise #1 ILB, QB etc etc, so it'd be really useful if we find a year down the line we've got starter potential in Crick.

On trading back and taking a WR we'd clearly targeted, thats good with me too, for all the great work the guys down in the draft section do, they don't have an office full of scouts working on bringing them info about prospects all year, they don't have access to the intricacies of the playbook, the thoughts of where the coach wants to take the playbook in the future etc, so I'll trust the FO on this one until I see the guy play.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012   #6
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 70276 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I'd have preferred they drafted Fleener #26 and Vinny Curry #58. Still could have filled need with remaining picks. Two starters + a decent rotational OLB in 3rd. Still could have gotten 2-3 of Crick, Keshawn Martin and Ben Jones in 4th.
You would taken Fleener over Mercilus? Seriously?
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012   #7
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Rep Power: 2407 SW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What I would have done differently were the WRs. I would feel more comfortable with a combination of Hilton/Givens & Childs. Just have to wait and see, hope I'm wrong.
SW H-TOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-30-2012   #8
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Would have been awkward to have Luck's best buddy on OUR team facing his pal Luck twice a year.

Now they can be booty buddies and go get ice cream and watch movies together in Indy.

Colts have no running game, no defense, new coach, new GM, and I think they struggle for awhile until they get those things firmed up. Having a No. 1 drafted QB and his booty buddy Fleener is not going to make them competitive with us in the near future. I'm thinking 3 years IF they get a run game.
Old 04-30-2012   #9
PhilpW
Irish-American

Rep Power: 348 PhilpW is a quality contributor and well respectedPhilpW is a quality contributor and well respectedPhilpW is a quality contributor and well respectedPhilpW is a quality contributor and well respectedPhilpW is a quality contributor and well respectedPhilpW is a quality contributor and well respectedPhilpW is a quality contributor and well respectedPhilpW is a quality contributor and well respectedPhilpW is a quality contributor and well respectedPhilpW is a quality contributor and well respectedPhilpW is a quality contributor and well respected

When the "experts" have a prospect going in the 2-3 rounds, and they're selected in the 6th, it's a great pick. When a 5-6 prospect goes in the 3rd, the team reached. No one knows how Posey is going to play, but I like the WR position selections around the depth picks on both lines.
PhilpW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012   #10
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 ckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Hopefully it was an attempt at humor.
ckhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012   #11
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I would prefer to keep focused on the business of working the draft board which for the second year in a row Rick Smith has done an excellent job of doing, IMO. Some of us draft pundits or whatever some wish to label those of us who are passionate about the draft, your right don't have the resources. Heck I don't even cover the Big 10 with exception of a couple teams. One of my draft buddies rmartin65 posted this thread which focused on Texan draft pick frequency per College: http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85653
2012 Draft
Round 1- Big 10
Round 3- Big 10
Round 3- MAC
Round 4- SEC
Round 4- Big 10
Round 4- Big 10
Round 5- Big 12
Round 6- Big 10

So it's not really about missing on talent its more a question of coverage, which is incomplete to say the least. I have no problem with that, got to work, missed the first two nights of draft in fact because duty called, its all good. All I can cover are those I watch & break down film personally. Love what I see from Whitney, clear BPA, small sample size, very fluid & explosive. I'm also willing to give Posey benifit of doubt despite his actions off field & limited production on the field. But he does have plus speed, ability to separate (better than Randle or Sanu) & good hands. Reminds me of a bigger Mario Manningham.

Back to the ability to trust your board & make positive moves under the gun. This draft should establish Rick Smith track record as one of the better GM's in the NFL. Having Wade working with Gary is a big plus. Scouts are doing a very good job in film rooms, College games, combine, pro-days & back ground checks. Anyone else see something different? positive/negative let it out

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 04-30-2012   #12
PhilpW
Irish-American

Rep Power: 348 PhilpW is a quality contributor and well respectedPhilpW is a quality contributor and well respectedPhilpW is a quality contributor and well respectedPhilpW is a quality contributor and well respectedPhilpW is a quality contributor and well respectedPhilpW is a quality contributor and well respectedPhilpW is a quality contributor and well respectedPhilpW is a quality contributor and well respectedPhilpW is a quality contributor and well respectedPhilpW is a quality contributor and well respectedPhilpW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I would prefer to keep focused on the business of working the draft board which for the second year in a row Rick Smith has done an excellent job of doing, IMO. Some of us draft pundits or whatever some wish to label those of us who are passionate about the draft, your right don't have the resources. Heck I don't even cover the Big 10 with exception of a couple teams. One of my draft buddies rmartin65 posted this thread which focused on Texan draft pick frequency per College: http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85653
2012 Draft
Round 1- Big 10
Round 3- Big 10
Round 3- MAC
Round 4- SEC
Round 4- Big 10
Round 4- Big 10
Round 5- Big 12
Round 6- Big 10

So it's not really about missing on talent its more a question of coverage, which is incomplete to say the least. I have no problem with that, got to work, missed the first two nights of draft in fact because duty called, its all good. All I can cover are those I watch & break down film personally. Love what I see from Whitney, clear BPA, small sample size, very fluid & explosive. I'm also willing to give Posey benifit of doubt despite his actions off field & limited production on the field. But he does have plus speed, ability to separate (better than Randle or Sanu) & good hands. Reminds me of a bigger Mario Manningham.

Back to the ability to trust your board & make positive moves under the gun. This draft should establish Rick Smith track record as one of the better GM's in the NFL. Having Wade working with Gary is a big plus. Scouts are doing a very good job in film rooms, College games, combine, pro-days & back ground checks. Anyone else see something different? positive/negative let it out
I was referring to Walterfootball.com's take on our picks. I certainly meant no disrepect toward you or the work you guys do prior to the draft. Y'all do an awesome job.
PhilpW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012   #13
G27RR
WATTch Out!

Rep Power: 2211 G27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respected

I was impressed with their maneuvering and their timing of who they took and when this year. Hopefully Posey works out, if not, and Crick still does, they didn't lose much. If they both work out, great move. If only Posey works out, still a plus because they had a chance on another player out of the deal.

I think they have improved over the years, for sure.

Image courtesy of False Start
G27RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012   #14
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Excellent move!

Right now, I'm not sure whether Randle or Posey will end up having a better career; I want to say Posey.
76Texan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012   #15
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 208669 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

My only disappointment in the draft was the handling of the WR spot. They basically decided they didn't want anything to do with taking a player that had the potential of becoming a #1 WR in the future. Posey may very well end up being a much better version of Walter, but he's a #2 WR at best, IMO. There were other guys they could have targeted that have the ceiling potential to develop into a #1 WR. They traded down instead.

I think Crick is a steal, so that part of the trade down worked, but I'm not sold on Posey AT ALL. Even if he works out, I don't see him ever being #1 WR material. We need a WR that can hold down the fort if AJ gets hurt. No one is going to be able to fill the shoes of AJ, unless they draft in the top 10 or something, but as an example, the Colts drafted Reggie Wayne #30 overall in 2001 when Harrison was still one of the best WRs in the game. Wayne's first year in the league didn't amount to much of anything (27 catches) and he didn't break 1000 yards until his 4th season. But everyone knew he could hold down the fort if Harrison got injured.
Old 04-30-2012   #16
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilpW View Post
I was referring to Walterfootball.com's take on our picks. I certainly meant no disrepect toward you or the work you guys do prior to the draft. Y'all do an awesome job.
appreciate that

It's an intriguing marriage between College & Professional levels culminating in the draft. Wade Phillips has given the organization a boost in confidence & better defensive draft board/projections so draft day trades can happen in real time that can make a positive impact. I hope we can all get behind this trade, in good time

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 04-30-2012   #17
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 248016 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Vinny Curry...........DE Eagles
Kelechi Osemele.... OG Ravens
LaMichael James.... RB 49ers
Casey Hayward..... DB Packers
Rueben Randle...... WR Giants
Dwayne Allen........ TE Colts
Trumaine Johnson.. DB Rams
Josh Robinson....... DB Vikings
Ronnie Hillman....... RB Broncos

DeVier Posey...... WR Texans

So the rule is, don't trade down unless you have 2/3 guys you think you'd take at the lower pick... Above are the guys selected between our original pick and the one we traded down to.

I have to think Osemele & Randle were possibilities -- Randle I'd bet my lunch would've been the pick if he dropped. (And if Randle fell to us, all the media talking heads would be gushing over our draft, fwiw.)

What's interesting is the Texans picked again just 8 picks later:

T.J. Graham.......... WR Bills
Bryan Anger.......... P Jaguars
Josh LeRibeus........ OG Redskins
Olivier Vernon........ DE Dolphins
Brandon Taylor....... S Chargers
Donald Stephenson. OT Chiefs
Russell Wilson........ QB Seahawks

Brandon Brooks.... OG Texans

I don't think I see any picks in between that look like options for the Texans?

The Texans could have selected the OG Brooks with the earlier pick and come back with the WR Posey with the later pick. So why did they choose the WR earlier? Did they think another team might snatch Posey before their next pick?
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012   #18
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Is that what I said? No. I said I would have taken Fleener (a starting WR2) AND Vinny Curry over Mercilus and I'd do it today. Not dissing Whitney & glad he is on team, however 2 starters at need position over one rotational OLB that may not beat out Reed year one.
Old 04-30-2012   #19
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202592 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
The Texans could have selected the OG Brooks with the earlier pick and come back with the WR Posey with the later pick. So why did they choose the WR earlier? Did they think another team might snatch Posey before their next pick?
I think the Texans had Posey in their sights. I don't think they had Randle ranked nearly as high as everyone else did.

I think they scouted Posey from the year before and had a 1st or 2nd round grade on him and I think they still had that grade on him but realized that he'd probably dropped off some people's radar. But they didn't want to take a chance he'd be gone with their next pick.

Mayock said this was a good pick and I don't think he was just blowing smoke. He'll tell you when he thinks a guy is drafted too high.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012   #20
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Is that what I said? No. I said I would have taken Fleener (a starting WR2) AND Vinny Curry over Mercilus and I'd do it today. Not dissing Whitney & glad he is on team, however 2 starters at need position over one rotational OLB that may not beat out Reed year one.
Who's to say they'd be starters? To me, Fleener is a tweener. He's not a true TE, but his speed and hands make him a borderline WR (like a Dorin Dickerson). At least OD had a tad of blocking experience coming out. Fleener hasn't blocked his entire College career. That alone tells me he was never really high on our board to begin with.

IMO, Fleener would be a poor man's Walter as a WR....minus Walter's ability to block.

I think this was a successfull draft considering our position

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read