Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-30-2012   #1
House of Pain
Knee-jerkless

Section: 106
Rep Power: 9340 House of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respected
Default One thing that I'm extremely happy about

You may love or hate the Texans draft, but I think the great thing is that we have an identity on both sides of the ball. It's good to know when we draft a guy, or bring in a UDFA, we can look at their attributes and see how they will fit in the with the existing team.

I'm glad that I don't see the FO of yesteryear, who IMO would draft someone with talent, but just didn't seem to fit in with what the Texans are doing on the field.

I can look at this draft/UDFA class, and see how the guys we got could work in our system. Now, it just comes down to how much the player wants to learn and become a part of the greater unit.

I don't know how good of a season the Texans will have this year, but I do know they are headed in the right direction and doing things that successful teams do.
House of Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012   #2
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: One thing that I'm extremely happy about

Yep, the thing I wanted to accomplish last year most of all was create an evironment of continued and expected success, a la the Pats/Steelers/Colts. There are flash in the pan teams that can make some noise in the playoffs like the Seahawks/Cards a few years back, and then there are teams that are earmarked as an organization that is here to stay. I feel that we are well on our way into that mold.

Even if Schaub doesn't recover, the best thing we have going for us is the division looks like it will be ours to lose for the forseeable future, unless Locker turns into Aaron Rodgers.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012   #3
House of Pain
Knee-jerkless

Rep Power: 9340 House of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the only thing that can derail the Texans for the upcoming seasons is not being able to figure out the QB situation. Assuming that Schaub is healthy, I don't think it's going to be a problem.
Old 04-30-2012   #4
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by House of Pain View Post
I think the only thing that can derail the Texans for the upcoming seasons is not being able to figure out the QB situation. Assuming that Schaub is healthy, I don't think it's going to be a problem.
I think thats why they've gone after the D & OL quite hard again this draft, the philosophy is clearly to continue having a D that can actively help the QB with good field position, and able to keep the oppo's score low.

Then you have their OL moves which look like they are looking to improve the pass pro, whilst still springing Foster/Tate loose at every opportunity.

Those are the two main factors in a QB's performance for me, the ability of the receiving corps is negated to an extent if your QB doesn't have the time to make good decisions, and the D is able to cheat on covering the pass.

It gives them the chance to stay in games if it comes down to having to start TJ Yates, it should help Schaub if there is an adjustment period before he's back to his best.

The receivers they've added all seem to fit in with the MO of not throwing them out there as rookie's, making sure they learn the playbook inside out before they get a chance, which also gives the coaches time to work on their weaknesses.

I like what they've done this off-season and I think it will pay dividends down the line, I think we'll be prepared as well as possible for the tough decisions with a flat cap, when other teams end up having to take more pain to stick within the budget.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012   #5
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

I like getting a guy, like Brooks, that can adequtly run the zone yet has trmendous power as well. Allows more diversity in the offensive scheme, which is always a +.
Old 04-30-2012   #6
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 127050 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You may love or hate the Texans draft, but I think the great thing is that we have an identity on both sides of the ball. It's good to know when we draft a guy, or bring in a UDFA, we can look at their attributes and see how they will fit in the with the existing team.

I'm glad that I don't see the FO of yesteryear, who IMO would draft someone with talent, but just didn't seem to fit in with what the Texans are doing on the field.

I can look at this draft/UDFA class, and see how the guys we got could work in our system. Now, it just comes down to how much the player wants to learn and become a part of the greater unit.

I don't know how good of a season the Texans will have this year, but I do know they are headed in the right direction and doing things that successful teams do.
Me too.

All those years under Capers with no Offensive scheme.

All those years under Kubiak with no Defensive scheme.

It is very nice to have systems in place and then go after your players.
Old 04-30-2012   #7
House of Pain
Knee-jerkless

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
Me too.

All those years under Capers with no Offensive scheme.

All those years under Kubiak with no Defensive scheme.

It is very nice to have systems in place and then go after your players.
Although understandable (due to the traumatic history of football in Houston), I think it's kinda funny that seemingly many people are still defaulting to the typical "sky is falling" Texans mentality. I don't think that getting Randle instead of Posey is going to make the difference between a 11 win season and a 6 win season. If you think so, I'd love to hear your explanation. Don't get me wrong: I think it is entirely possible that they don't have as good a record as they did last year. But if that does happen, the Texans will reload and be right back at the same level (of 2011), if not better.

I honestly believe that our coaching staff and scouts in place (even with the loss of Knapp) are too skilled to have the bottom will fall out like how it did in Capers last season with the Texans. I know, I know...I'm drinking the Kool-aid, and I know it's only been one somewhat successful season, but after seeing the job they did in 2011 with, IMO, less talent than we are going to have this year, I don't think it's a realistic outcome. For the first time they played with purpose and as a team and I don't see how that can change with the current pieces they have in place.

Who's with me? Against me?
Sponsored links
Old 04-30-2012   #8
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 249976 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
With ya. The only way they don't repeat as division champions is a huge massive injury list.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012   #9
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 82342 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Although understandable (due to the traumatic history of football in Houston), I think it's kinda funny that seemingly many people are still defaulting to the typical "sky is falling" Texans mentality. I don't think that getting Randle instead of Posey is going to make the difference between a 11 win season and a 6 win season. If you think so, I'd love to hear your explanation. Don't get me wrong: I think it is entirely possible that they don't have as good a record as they did last year. But if that does happen, the Texans will reload and be right back at the same level (of 2011), if not better.

I honestly believe that our coaching staff and scouts in place (even with the loss of Knapp) are too skilled to have the bottom will fall out like how it did in Capers last season with the Texans. I know, I know...I'm drinking the Kool-aid, and I know it's only been one somewhat successful season, but after seeing the job they did in 2011 with, IMO, less talent than we are going to have this year, I don't think it's a realistic outcome. For the first time they played with purpose and as a team and I don't see how that can change with the current pieces they have in place.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012   #10
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 116095 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You may love or hate the Texans draft, but I think the great thing is that we have an identity on both sides of the ball. .
A terrific point.

Personally, I don't "grade" a draft class because it's a 'crap shoot' at best. Let's see how these guys perform before we love or hate the draft. That said and to your original point, this team finally has an identity.
Old 04-30-2012   #11
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Grade is nothing more than your personal opinion wrapped hopefully with pertinent facts substantiating viewpoint. Calling them stupid or ridiculous is a matter of perception, which all ready posting here, on this board, as signing off all disclaimers & letting chips fall where they may

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read