Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-30-2012   #21
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The secondary

KJ has reached a point where he isn't going to lose you games of his own accord, with good safety play behind and pass rush up front , KJ just needs to take another step forward this offseason and show that he can be full time #2 which I'm comfortable with.

They always talk about the 3rd year at CB as a breakout year, just look at Aso for that, not that he's going to be Aso quality but you can see the chance for big improvement from that and many other examples.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012   #22
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Thats because the talking heads want a 330lb guy to play the nose and dont understand that Wades defense doesnt rely on a big fat tree stump but guy's penetrating gaps.

And you arespot on , Cody has probably been the most consistent DL on the roster over his time in a Texan uniform. He makes plays from sideline to sideline ....

As for the thread topic , I would have liked to have seen a CB drafted at some point but with the guy's they have that didnt play last season , I think they can fill the void left in the wake of Allen.
Agreed,

But they did bring in a huge NT as a UDFA. (Fangupo) Who I believe will not only make the roster, but be a big contributor. The guy was injured a little last yr (Ankle) but he's a stud. Fangupo is strong as an oxe (a 2 down NT) and should provide the run stopping element the fans have been crying for. He should be a good compliment to the lighter NT's Cody/Mitchell.

Man, the DL is going to be deep and talented this yr. I love the Crick pick. LOL He's going to be a very good 5 tech if he can stay healthy. Both Fangupo and Crick fit the mold that Wade looks for in front 7 guys. (Even though Fangupo is a huge NT) Both are very intense players.

As far as the CB's go I think Carmicheal is going to be a sleeper. He has great ball skills and is very fast. He's just short and that could present some problems with bigger WR's outside. Harris has the ability to be a starter, he just needed experience last yr. I could see Wade bringing in a vet CB that gets cut late in camp like they did with Allen.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012   #23
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 82342 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Agreed,

But they did bring in a huge NT as a UDFA. (Fangupo) Who I believe will not only make the roster, but be a big contributor. The guy was injured a little last yr (Ankle) but he's a stud. Fangupo is strong as an oxe (a 2 down NT) and should provide the run stopping element the fans have been crying for. He should be a good compliment to the lighter NT's Cody/Mitchell.

Man, the DL is going to be deep and talented this yr. I love the Crick pick. LOL He's going to be a very good 5 tech if he can stay healthy. Both Fangupo and Crick fit the mold that Wade looks for in front 7 guys. (Even though Fangupo is a huge NT) Both are very intense players.

As far as the CB's go I think Carmicheal is going to be a sleeper. He has great ball skills and is very fast. He's just short and that could present some problems with bigger WR's outside. Harris has the ability to be a starter, he just needed experience last yr. I could see Wade bringing in a vet CB that gets cut late in camp like they did with Allen.
steelb, I had the same concerns though now I feel they might not be really warranted. In listening to Bill Kollar's presser, the team didn't seem concerned in the least. That in conjunction with the Bills dropping Fort Knox on Mario after the exact injury leads me to believe that it won't necessarily indicate future issues. But then I'm no CND, so for sure.

The second bolded. I've been thinking that for some time. This was reinforced when for the first time that Rick's been calling the draft, there wasn't a CB taken even though he said he'll always take a CB, or something to that effect.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012   #24
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100807 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
See my recent post on Eddie Pleasant (signed) in the "undrafted" thread.
Quote:
Case Keenum, Eddie Pleasant among Texans’ notable UDFAs
Quote:
Pleasant (5-10, 211) was a two-year starter at Oregon. He began his career as a linebacker and emergency running back and finished it with All-Pac 12 first-team honors in 2011. He ran a 4.63 40-yard dash, had 22 bench press reps of 225 pounds and had a 33.5-inch vertical jump at the NFL Scouting Combine.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/ar...4-8e9dbb8f07b4

Anyone seen this kid play?
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012   #25
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253531 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
No, but I'm starting to get intrigued by him because of all the people talking him up. Smith seemed to be more psyched about this guy than any of the other UDFAs.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012   #26
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253531 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Doesn't look that great from his highlight reel.

Youtube Link
Old 05-05-2012   #27
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100807 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
No, but I'm starting to get intrigued by him because of all the people talking him up. Smith seemed to be more psyched about this guy than any of the other UDFAs.
yeah, I was surprised on the Title of the article, They had his name instead of Jones
so I kinda felt that the Texans like the kid a little bit more
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-05-2012   #28
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
I watched 3 or 4 Oregon games this year and did not remember him at all. Safety is probably the worse position to evaluate on regular tv though.
Old 05-06-2012   #29
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Doesn't look that great from his highlight reel.

Youtube Link
Hard to tell a whole lot since they don't show the secondary until the ball is thrown in most of the clips, but he seems to have good ball skills. Looks like he's aware of where the ball is when it's thrown and gets his hands on it.

But that was what, 7 plays?

Gonna have to see him in camp and pre season.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012   #30
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
That was my problem with it. Not a lot there.
Old 05-06-2012   #31
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Hard to tell a whole lot since they don't show the secondary until the ball is thrown in most of the clips, but he seems to have good ball skills. Looks like he's aware of where the ball is when it's thrown and gets his hands on it.

Gonna have to see him in camp and pre season.
That is what I came away thinking after watching his highlights. There are quite a few intriguing prospects in this upcoming camp to watch. Much more than years past. Should be an exciting season.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012   #32
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 284137 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Yes, I noticed and yes, it's a concern. I think you pretty much need to draft a CB every year in this league. We're going to need some bigger DBs to match up with the Colts & other teams multiple TE sets that's becoming all the rage now.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012   #33
Lucky

Rep Power: 160417 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm more interested in Desmond Marrow from Toledo. He's listed as a safety by the Texans, but Marrow played boundary cornerback while at Toledo. Based upon his career and pro day measurables, I wonder why not give him a shot at CB?

I went back to the 2010 season, and saw that Juron Criner and Arizona had a big day vs Toledo. But when I saw the video, most of the damage was off the other CB (#6) and bubble screens. Same with Boise State, who threw a lot on Toledo, but not Marrow. To me, Marrow looks like the super sleeper out of this UDFA class.
Old 05-06-2012   #34
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I'm more interested in Desmond Marrow from Toledo. He's listed as a safety by the Texans, but Marrow played boundary cornerback while at Toledo. Based upon his career and pro day measurables, I wonder why not give him a shot at CB?

I went back to the 2010 season, and saw that Juron Criner and Arizona had a big day vs Toledo. But when I saw the video, most of the damage was off the other CB (#6) and bubble screens. Same with Boise State, who threw a lot on Toledo, but not Marrow. To me, Marrow looks like the super sleeper out of this UDFA class.
Yep.

In the predict the 53 man roster I had marrow making the team as a safety.

But you are right that he has the measurables to play cb in the NFL.
Old 05-06-2012   #35
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I doubt he makes the 53 man roster more likely practice squad, depending on how well rest of group responds in general.

Looks like a Free Safety to me. Long wingspan, good range, hands will need a lot of work on his footwork, getting lower & dropping his hips, but intriguing NFL size with excellent vertical. Committed to work hard must stay healthy.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012   #36
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Considering the investment they put last year into fixing it, I hope they are content with what they have.

Joeseph is set at #1

KJ ha this year to prove he is a serviceable #2.

McCain moved last year into the slot cover very well. He'll never have the size you want in a true#1 but in this league you got to be 3 deep. Right now it looks like we are.

We still are not sure what we have in Harris whom we moved up to get and Carmicheal at least college looked like a good prospect.

It still wouldn't surprise me to see a vet added late though to this group of CBs specially if KJ struggles and the others don't show promise.

I think as Quinn gets more time at FS he's just going to get more accustomed and get better.

Need Manning healthy all year, but we have our starters set at safety. Now it's just back ups.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012   #37
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

We're very deep at Safety by the numbers what's the most we'd ever carry? Maybe 5 if 2 or 3 of them add lots of value on special teams?

Quin
Manning
Nolan
Demps
Keo

The top 3 are pretty solid to make the team, Demps brings a lot of value on ST, as does Keo, and they don't tend to give up on draft picks so soon.

Looks like a tough ask for a UDFA S to make the team, and with PS positions limited, and a lot of talent in the UDFA/lower draft class, you have to wonder if safety will be a position they want to spend a PS spot on given that its a position of relative strength in depth.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012   #38
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh texan View Post
We're very deep at Safety by the numbers what's the most we'd ever carry? Maybe 5 if 2 or 3 of them add lots of value on special teams?

Quin
Manning
Nolan
Demps
Keo

The top 3 are pretty solid to make the team, Demps brings a lot of value on ST, as does Keo, and they don't tend to give up on draft picks so soon.

Looks like a tough ask for a UDFA S to make the team, and with PS positions limited, and a lot of talent in the UDFA/lower draft class, you have to wonder if safety will be a position they want to spend a PS spot on given that its a position of relative strength in depth.
Demps and keo bring "a lot" of value to special teams?

Since when?

Do they suck on special teams? No. But they aren't out their tearing it up either.

I think reserve safety would be one of the easier positions to make it as an udfa. Not a lot of high end draft picks there and both keo and demps were cut at some point and brought back. Demps showed more than Leo, but i wouldn't consider either one locks to make the roster.
Old 05-06-2012   #39
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh texan View Post

Quin
Manning
Nolan
Demps
Keo

That's where I'm at with it. And this staff was pretty high on Keo when they drafted him. I don't think we saw much in him when he hit the field last season but he plays ST. He's going to have to have a very bad camp not to make the team this year.

And Demps actually gave us some good minutes last year and plays ST. So, again, he's going to have to get seriously outplayed not to make the team.

And then, on the CB side, our three starters are set: JJo, KJ, and McCain. Harris and Carmichael are going to get every opportunity to make the team and hopefully they produce more than they did last year. I was expecting a lot more from them last year -- granted, Carmichael was on IR, but still, I expected something from Harris.

In a way, Carmichael is our "new" rookie CB this year.

IIRC, we usually go with 6 CBs. So we might have room for 1 more. But if we do that, that's probably 1 less DL we go with and that might mean no Fangupo.
Old 05-06-2012   #40
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
That's where I'm at with it. And this staff was pretty high on Keo when they drafted him. I don't think we saw much in him when he hit the field last season but he plays ST. He's going to have to have a very bad camp not to make the team this year.

And Demps actually gave us some good minutes last year and plays ST. So, again, he's going to have to get seriously outplayed not to make the team.

And then, on the CB side, our three starters are set: JJo, KJ, and McCain. Harris and Carmichael are going to get every opportunity to make the team and hopefully they produce more than they did last year. I was expecting a lot more from them last year -- granted, Carmichael was on IR, but still, I expected something from Harris.

In a way, Carmichael is our "new" rookie CB this year.

IIRC, we usually go with 6 CBs. So we might have room for 1 more. But if we do that, that's probably 1 less DL we go with and that might mean no Fangupo.
Both demps and keo were cut at some point last year. Demps flashed a little but I think you are wrong. I think they are far from locked into roster spots.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read