Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-29-2012   #1
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78862 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected
Default The secondary

Has anyone noticed that NOT ONE defensive back was taken by the Texans in the draft?

Not only that, not a single UDFA defensive back has been signed.*

Wade Phillips must be feeling real good about his secondary not to even merit a UDFA signing at this point. My guess is they a good feeling about the progress that Kareem Jackson is making at corner, and Quin at safety. They also must be excited about Brandon Harris and Roc Carmichael.

But I'm also thinking it could be Phillips not worrying too much about the secondary play given the way he's assembling the front 7, which is downright scary, IMO.

Thoughts?

EDIT: Damn! I didn't notice the safeties signed. Doubt they make the roster though.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012   #2
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 101421 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The secondary

My thought is

yep that about sums it up !
Old 04-29-2012   #3
TdotTexas2Step
All Pro

Rep Power: 1976 TdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respected

Based on last year alone, I feel extremely comfortable with Jonathan Joseph as the first corner, Brice McCain as the slot corner, and Manning/Quin at the safety spots.

Kareem is manageable at the second corner spot.

Harris should find some playing time this year backing up McCain as the nickle corner and as a 4th corner. I don't think he'll be able to play outside corner - though I'd be extremely happy to be proven wrong - and I'm thinking Wade was hoping to groom him as the future nickle corner but was pleasantly surprised by McCain's performance last season.

With that said, just on lack of experience, it's going to be really nerve-wracking if one of Joseph/Kareem/McCain go down and one of your young guns have to be thrown into the fire.
TdotTexas2Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012   #4
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

We're banking on Harris/Carmichael to take over Allen's duties.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012   #5
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allstar View Post
Don't forget McManis...

I'm sure they make look at some vets to compete in camp.. But, since 5 of their 6 CBs on the roster are young, developing players who have shown improvement and/or ability, drafting more of the same made little sense to them, I would think.
Old 04-29-2012   #6
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30852 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Don't forget McManis...

I'm sure they make look at some vets to compete in camp.. But, since 5 of their 6 CBs on the roster are young, developing players who have shown improvement and/or ability, drafting more of the same made little sense to them, I would think.
I agree with this...... I wanted Bentley when he was available, but I can't fault them for going the route they did. I expect some pretty decent names to become available after June 1st and we can bring in one of those guys to come in and compete.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012   #7
Lucky

Rep Power: 160417 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Don't forget McManis...
Why not? He hasn't done a thing in the 2 years he's been here. I'm hoping Harris and Carmichael have some miraculous transformation into NFL CBs this offseason. I see no reason to hold out hope for McManis. He's a Smith/Bush/Gibbs pick, anyway.
Old 04-29-2012   #8
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41207 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I would think so too. Neither Harris or Carmichael saw much of the field in 2011 but were both high draft picks from last year (2nd and 4th rounders, respectively).
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012   #9
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202278 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

See my recent post on Eddie Pleasant (signed) in the "undrafted" thread.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012   #10
texanchris
Veteran

Rep Power: 3782 texanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we will be fine in the secondary this year. Harris and Carmicheal are more than capable of taking over Allens spot. Jackson has been playing better and the rest of the secondary is solid. I am more worried about the nose tackle position because i have a feeling that Cody and Mitchell will take a huge step back this year.
texanchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012   #11
Lucky

Rep Power: 160417 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Has anyone noticed that NOT ONE defensive back was taken by the Texans in the draft?

Not only that, not a single UDFA defensive back has been signed.*

Thoughts?

EDIT: Damn! I didn't notice the safeties signed. Doubt they make the roster though.
Have the Texans actually released the UDFA signings? I don't think so. So there may still be CBs signed as UDFAs. The Texans currently have 6 CBs under contract and I'm certain they will go into camp with more than that. Where they will come from? TBD. But, there's certainly going to be more CBs on the roster by the end of July.
Old 04-29-2012   #12
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanchris View Post
I think we will be fine in the secondary this year. Harris and Carmicheal are more than capable of taking over Allens spot. Jackson has been playing better and the rest of the secondary is solid. I am more worried about the nose tackle position because i have a feeling that Cody and Mitchell will take a huge step back this year.
Cody has been nothing if not consistent during his tenure here, I don't know why you feel like he'll take a step back.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012   #13
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185617 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Cody has been nothing if not consistent during his tenure here, I don't know why you feel like he'll take a step back.
Thats because the talking heads want a 330lb guy to play the nose and dont understand that Wades defense doesnt rely on a big fat tree stump but guy's penetrating gaps.

And you arespot on , Cody has probably been the most consistent DL on the roster over his time in a Texan uniform. He makes plays from sideline to sideline ....

As for the thread topic , I would have liked to have seen a CB drafted at some point but with the guy's they have that didnt play last season , I think they can fill the void left in the wake of Allen.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012   #14
SteveSlaton20
All Pro

Rep Power: 717 SteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to SteveSlaton20

we didn't need to draft one.

quin, manning, nolan, demps are solid safeties.
joseph, kareem, brice, harris, mcmanis, and carmichael.

we were going to give kareem one more year to prove himself, and i think he played solid the later in the season, still has a problem being a playmaker/look for the ball at the right time. rest are solid. keo to ps imo, so he wont be on the 53 man roster.
Old 04-29-2012   #15
Fili
All Pro

Rep Power: 3890 Fili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respected

I was surprised when I found out we haven't signed a CB yet. Then I look at the depth and we still got Harris and the others.
Old 04-29-2012   #16
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Why not? He hasn't done a thing in the 2 years he's been here. I'm hoping Harris and Carmichael have some miraculous transformation into NFL CBs this offseason. I see no reason to hold out hope for McManis. He's a Smith/Bush/Gibbs pick, anyway.
I have some hope for Harris since he saw a little bit of playing time last season. Carmichael was injured the entire season, so who know if he'll be used to the speed of the NFL without playing a snap. Hope so though. The more depth we have in the secondary the better.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012   #17
pec0sb0b
on the lam

Rep Power: 2716 pec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respected

Dallas was seeking trade offers for Mike Jenkins...I should think that Phillips would be interested in him just as he was in James Bradie. Give 'em Jacoby Jones and kill two birds with one stone. Jenkin's base salary for 2012 is only one million.
Old 04-29-2012   #18
Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by pec0sb0b View Post
Jenkin's base salary for 2012 is only one million.
Right. But 2012 is also the last year on Jenkins rookie contract. Basically, you would be renting him. And no, Jerry won't be taking Jacoby in return.
Old 04-29-2012   #19
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Given the amount of draft picks (8) and high dollar free agents (2), we have spent over the last three years, it was time for the area to get ignored. We have made the investment in that area those dudes need to play and play well, which they did as an overall group in 2011.
Old 04-30-2012   #20
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm usually pretty big on the secondary, but I'm OK with things as they stand. We're kind of waiting to see what we've really got with a lot of young players and we've got J. Joseph and D. Manning to ensure things aren't going to fall apart. We can only afford to keep so many players on one part of the team at a time, so we're focused on other things. I just hope K.J. keeps improving.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read