Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-30-2012   #21
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 198627 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ford to play Fullback

I want our FB to block & clear the way. If he can occasionally catch a pass, gravy for the chicken!
Old 04-30-2012   #22
Texaninlild
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4558 Texaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to Texaninlild

If you have a player with versatility and talent with his hands, take advantage. Of course blowing up linebackers is what he has to do because no one carries the rock like Foster.

I am a Christian

Philippians 4:13
Texaninlild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012   #23
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I haven't seen him play much, so I skeptical...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012   #24
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 39179 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I want our FB to block & clear the way. If he can occasionally catch a pass, gravy for the chicken!
I don't know if I would go that far. Yes, I want the FB's primary skill set/role to be a load as a lead blocker and elminate the first defender every snap; but when the FB can be a pass catching threat from the backfiled a handful of times a game it's just another wrinkle that the opposing D has to be aware of. Kubiak has shown a knack for when to call teh FB pass play too, sadly Vickers dropped his share of them.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012   #25
Premier
All Pro

Rep Power: 10263 Premier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respected

lookin at fords measurables in 2008, he came into Illinois weighing 209, looks like he packed on a good 40 pounds of muscle since then.. kinda looks like ray rice tbh.. body, height, face and everything..
Old 04-30-2012   #26
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 159792 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Man looks stout, cut and can crush guys when lead-blocking. I don't see a downside yet.
Old 04-30-2012   #27
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 268617 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

From an interview at his Pro Day:

Quote:
Scout: What are the strengths of your game?

Ford: "Blocking, catching passes and being versatile. I can play some running back or West Coast fullback. That will help me out a lot. I can definitely do some different things."

Scout: Is there an NFL player you emulate?

Ford: "A lot of people say I remind them of Mike Tolbert of the Chargers. I can catch it out of the backfield. I've got a nose for the end zone."
link
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-30-2012   #28
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 25589 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
I don't know if I would go that far. Yes, I want the FB's primary skill set/role to be a load as a lead blocker and elminate the first defender every snap; but when the FB can be a pass catching threat from the backfiled a handful of times a game it's just another wrinkle that the opposing D has to be aware of. Kubiak has shown a knack for when to call teh FB pass play too, sadly Vickers dropped his share of them.
Agree here, I posted in a thread about Vickers vs. Casey where I said you won't make an NFL defender hesitate at the thought of taking a big hit of an FB, but you can make them hesitate if you plant a seed of doubt in their mind about your FB breaking out into a route and hurting them for a big gain uncovered.

That then helps out your rushing attack.

I think thats why Kubiak tried to get the ball to Vickers now and again even though he was terrible catching, he wants to have a Casey type and a true blocking type, but he doesn't want to tip his hand too much just by what personnel he's got on the field, he still relies on defenders having to account for a FB reception.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012   #29
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 198627 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
That's what I said. chuckle
Old 04-30-2012   #30
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 39179 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
That's what I said. chuckle
I'd call that more than gravy, but if that was your point than yes I agree with you.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012   #31
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 314445 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

If we get a good blocking FB that can also run and catch out of the UDFA pool, I'd be just totally ecstatic. I hope it happens.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012   #32
SteveSlaton20
All Pro

Rep Power: 718 SteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to SteveSlaton20

He has a chance to make the roster if we don't sign a vet TE/FB. I think it'll come down to if Kubiak wants Casey at TE or FB, if FB, Logan Brock might be the man to make the roster, but TE, I expect Ford to be the man to make the roster.
Old 04-30-2012   #33
ubecool454
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1158 ubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allstar View Post
We may need Casey to be a TE most of the time this year, so this guy might just make it.
Exactly...I thought Casey is a TE anyway and he was just being wasted playing fullback. Casey I think is the most athletic TE on the team.
ubecool454 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read