Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-08-2012   #121
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 200878 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: UDFA, Dwight Jones, WR, North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Dropped balls must be one of the reasons his stock fell !?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmidi...eature=related
Wow.

That was... inconsistent. It reminded me of Jacoby almost. Except he runs with the ball more securely. He's got to focus on making the catch more but if he can do that, he could be pretty great.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012   #122
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

yeah, but he looks good in shorts

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012   #123
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
yeah, but he looks good in shorts
Old 05-09-2012   #124
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

All kidding aside, I think Dwight Jones has a good chance of either making the team or the PS if he works hard at it.
I think he can also add a little more muscle to his frame or just continue to firm up his body.

6'3 plus, 230 lbs or so, 34" arm, 80-3/9 wingspan.

The potential is there.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-2kVzXp4Ys
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012   #125
Lucky

Rep Power: 120321 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

It was a mixed bag. Jones showed some of his skills such as leaping ability and run after catch. That interception/fumble was a great play by the defender...and possibly a penalty in the NFL for hitting a defenseless player.
Old 05-09-2012   #126
Say Watt
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 44894 Say Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respected

I may be in the minority, but I like this guy a lot. Reminds me a little of Arian with being a bit odd and getting the "character issues" label even though neither had ever been in trouble with the law, did drugs, or caused problems on their teams.

With some coaching, he looks like the kind of player that could be very successful in the NFL if he works hard enough and listens to the advice of those around him. And there is no better guy to learn from than Andre Johnson. AJ doesn't even need to talk to him. Dwight Jones just needs to sit back and watch how a Hall of Famer conducts himself.
Say Watt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012   #127
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 240592 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Dwight Jones cutups for your perusal:

vs Virginia Tech 2011 [vs. 2012 3rd Rounder Jayron Hosley] -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F01xFUaKKqA

vs. Louisville -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLCAblTo960

vs. Georgia Tech -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GY4sI3Mj5Z0
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-09-2012   #128
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Dwight is neither fast nor quick in and out of his breaks,

In addition to that he appears to be a vit of a headcase,

I hope he puts it all together,he could be an upgrade over Jacoby.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012   #129
Lucky

Rep Power: 120321 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
I never realized Jones was that physical. Those college kids were bouncing off him. I don't think Jones will get jammed at the LOS. And while he doesn't have great quickness, Jones is able to use his big body and long arms to shield the ball from defenders. Much better after the catch than I originally thought.

The skills are there. It's where Jones' head is at that will determine how he contributes in Houston. If at all.
Old 05-10-2012   #130
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 240592 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Ourlads.com pro scout Dan Shonka:

Quote:
Dwight Jones, WR, North Carolina -*6032 230 4.55
Two-year starter who is a big physical slot receiver. Has good run after catch ability. He builds up speed as he goes down the field. Has the strength to make the first tackler miss. Has strong hands to catch the ball in a crowd. Shows the grit to catch inside breaking routes like the slant. Comes back to the ball. Not explosive off the line of scrimmage, but is not held up. Was the Tar Heels’ go-to receiver in the clutch for third down conversions. Good ball reactions to catch the tough pass. Can focus and track the ball into his hands. Can win one on one match-ups with smaller corners. Can make the tough one-handed catches but his concentration drops. Catches the ball in front of him. A good but inconsistent blocker. Has all the tools, just needs to keep honing his craft. Led the Atlantic Coast Conference in catches. Had huge games versus Virginia (198 yds, 2 TDs) and Florida State (223 yds). 2011 stats: 85-1196 yds, 14.1 ypr, 12 TDs. OSR:28/42. Fourth/fifth round. (A-34, H-9, VJ-33, SS-DNP).
http://blogs.ourlads.com/2012/05/10/...ouston-texans/
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012   #131
chenjy9
Veteran

Rep Power: 4127 chenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post

He makes catches, plays physical, runs his routes, and consistently moves in a forward direction. The latter in itself is already more than I know I can expect from Jacoby.
chenjy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012   #132
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post

vs Virginia Tech 2011 [vs. 2012 3rd Rounder Jayron Hosley] -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F01xFUaKKqA

vs. Louisville -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLCAblTo960

vs. Georgia Tech -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GY4sI3Mj5Z0
Notes:
1. Hosley is 5'10, 178 lbs, 30-7/8 arm.
2. Against Louisvllle, D. Jones went against a Freshman who played with very poor techniques. I would scratch off this game.
3. There was really nothing in the Ga. Tech that can give us a good idea how he will perform at the next level.

I also watched the Miami game, and didn't see anything either.
I definitely need to watch more games, but at the moment I haven't seen any "real" route being ran by Jones to evaluate him properly.
(Whatever I watched in 2010 with Yates at the helm, I've forgotten.)
Old 05-14-2012   #133
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I never realized Jones was that physical. Those college kids were bouncing off him. I don't think Jones will get jammed at the LOS. And while he doesn't have great quickness, Jones is able to use his big body and long arms to shield the ball from defenders. Much better after the catch than I originally thought.

The skills are there. It's where Jones' head is at that will determine how he contributes in Houston. If at all.
He's 6'3-230.
He didn't play as big and physical as I'd like.
I expected him to dominate but he was quite inconsistent.
I've seen him bumped off his routes a couple of times.
In general though, he isn't fast nor quick so good CB can play off him and react to the short routes like the slant quicker than these college CBs could.
And he's not going to run past anybody in the NFL, not even Kareem Jackson
Old 05-14-2012   #134
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Other than putting his name on advertising New Year's party conflict what indicates him being a head case? Of all the things we have read about college players (let alone NFL players) this seems minor. I don't think saying he will be the next AJ is a negative.
Old 05-14-2012   #135
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Other than putting his name on advertising New Year's party conflict what indicates him being a head case? Of all the things we have read about college players (let alone NFL players) this seems minor. I don't think saying he will be the next AJ is a negative.
Hopefully you're right.

Am I wrong in thinking there's a reason no team in the NFL drafted a guy with the talent that Jones possesses
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012   #136
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 47761 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

If Jones drops his weight, somewhere under 220, he will shine! He needs to become our Marques Colston (drafted late 7th rd.) long strider with excellent body control, toughness & hands of a possession receiver.

2012 Draft was Mercilus

Last edited by beerlover; 05-14-2012 at 10:42 PM.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012   #137
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 200878 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
It's actually more of his reaction to that whole thing that's the problem.

He put his name on this party. He was told to take it off by the school. He took it off. He played his last game and then he thought he was done with school and put his name back on it. So then he couldn't have Pro-Day with the other guys. And then when he's asked about it, he tells people he didn't have anything to do with it and he hadn't authorized his name to be used... even though he was personally displaying the add on his own facebook page (from what I understand.)

It's just a steaming glop of mess and I worry about his judgment in personal matters.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012   #138
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post

He put his name on this party. He was told to take it off by the school. He took it off. He played his last game and then he thought he was done with school and put his name back on it. So then he couldn't have Pro-Day with the other guys. And then when he's asked about it, he tells people he didn't have anything to do with it and he hadn't authorized his name to be used... even though he was personally displaying the add on his own facebook page (from what I understand.)

It's just a steaming glop of mess and I worry about his judgment in personal matters.
I hear you but my concern is not as great. I followed him last season and think he can be great. As Beerlover said, drop a few pounds and focus on football and he will be a welcome addition. I think the bad press flaired & he became resentful. I still see it as one time incident.
Old 05-14-2012   #139
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post

The only thing I find crazy is him lying and the fact that he didn't use better judgement so that he could participate in his pro day.

Honestly, to me it sounds like the school was being a little petty.

I don't have an issue with him taking his name off the flyer during the season and putting it back on afterward.

Other than the fact he didn't use foresight.

But mistakes/bad judgment doesn't bother me. Not learning from those situations does.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012   #140
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Hopefully you're right.

Am I wrong in thinking there's a reason no team in the NFL drafted a guy with the talent that Jones possesses
draft is an emotional time for teams as well as players with millions of dollars being risked. Teams may think it better to bypass a potential hot spot than gamble on a guy. Jones college was same one that had players missing from games and may have been why Yates went so low as he did not have hs full team to bring home victories. I am glad to see McNair allowing more risk possible players to be selected.

How in the world did Green Bay recently get a QB late in first round that might turn out to be one of best in NFL?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read