Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-01-2012   #81
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: UDFA, Dwight Jones, WR, North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
That can't be real. Jan 1 is a Tuesday in 2013, so the original must have come from 2010/11. Was it a Dez Bryant poster? That sounds like something he would do.
I'm pretty sure, Dutch, that it was promoting this past New Year's Eve.

Saturday, December 31 of 2011.

The next day, Sunday, was January 1, 2012.

The University was pissed off because he attached his likeness and his name to the party's advertising poster that was distributed/displayed in the weeks leading up to Saturday, December 31 2011.

UNC threatened to suspend him which meant he was not going to play in the bowl game (which was held prior to New Year's Eve). So then Dwight complies with UNC, gets to play in the bowl game, and then does a big Eff You! by re-attaching his name to the party and attending it, blah blah blah.

Therefore, UNC officials decided to prohibit him from participating in the official UNC Pro Day held on their college campus. This is why he had to go across town and have his own Pro Day whereby only one scout (Broncos) attended.

Based on Jones' comments, he said he was "done with UNC" after the bowl game ended...meaning that he could care less about what UNC might do to him after the conclusion of the bowl game. He wanted to play ball, then party like a rock star and give a rat's ass about the natural outcome of that decision. So UNC broke ties and said he couldn't be a part of their Pro Day.

And we signed him. LOL.

That's all I got.
Old 05-01-2012   #82
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 200326 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post

The University was pissed off because he attached his likeness and his name to the party's advertising poster that was distributed/displayed in the weeks leading up to Saturday, December 31 2011.

UNC threatened to suspend him which meant he was not going to play in the bowl game (which was held prior to New Year's Eve). So then Dwight complies with UNC, gets to play in the bowl game, and then does a big Eff You! by re-attaching his name to the party and attending it, blah blah blah.

Therefore, UNC officials decided to prohibit him from participating in the official UNC Pro Day held on their college campus. This is why he had to go across town and have his own Pro Day whereby only one scout (Broncos) attended.

Based on Jones' comments, he said he was "done with UNC" after the bowl game ended...meaning that he could care less about what UNC might do to him after the conclusion of the bowl game. He wanted to play ball, then party like a rock star and give a rat's ass about the natural outcome of that decision. So UNC broke ties and said he couldn't be a part of their Pro Day.

And we signed him. LOL.

That's all I got.
Jones' side of the story, from what I've heard him say in interviews, is that he did not give permission for his likeness to be used and that he did not attend the party.

He doesn't come across as very believable, though. I expect GPs statement of the facts to be more reliable than Dwight Jones'.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012   #83
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

And we signed him. LOL.

That's all I got.
Wow, that's just dumb... There's no way this guy makes the 53.
Old 05-01-2012   #84
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 12627 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Jones' side of the story, from what I've heard him say in interviews, is that he did not give permission for his likeness to be used and that he did not attend the party.
That's what I heard too. I really don't care about any "reports" until camp starts
Old 05-01-2012   #85
Fico
Rookie

Rep Power: 1386 Fico is a quality contributor and well respectedFico is a quality contributor and well respectedFico is a quality contributor and well respectedFico is a quality contributor and well respectedFico is a quality contributor and well respectedFico is a quality contributor and well respectedFico is a quality contributor and well respectedFico is a quality contributor and well respectedFico is a quality contributor and well respectedFico is a quality contributor and well respectedFico is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Unless the dude realizes that attitude took him from a top 3 round draft pick to UDFA.

If the guy wants to play he can. If he wants party he will be unemployed. These are the type of players we should be signing as UDFA's. High reward, 0 risk.
Fico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012   #86
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 166542 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

He doesn't come across as very believable, though. I expect GPs statement of the facts to be more reliable than Dwight Jones'.

Then why did he RE-post the whole thing on his personal Facebook page right after he was allowed to play in the Bowl game?

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...#storylink=cpy

Quote:
Working with the NCAA, UNC reinstated Jones for the bowl game – a 41-24 loss to Missouri – on the agreement Jones would cancel the party. Jones played in the game, catching six passes for 77 yards and a touchdown.

But after the game, the flier was re-posted on Jones’ Facebook page and the party was held as planned. Jones said Tuesday he did not attend the party, but was out with friends celebrating his birthday.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012   #87
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 200326 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Then why did he RE-post the whole thing on his personal Facebook page right after he was allowed to play in the Bowl game?

Like I said, GPs version has more credibility.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-01-2012   #88
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post

Jones seems like the kind of guy that talks in circles and eventually talks himself into a corner.

I've heard him say two different things. The first thing I heard him say was that he didn't give permission and then the second thing I heard him say about it was that since the season was over he thought he was no longer being held to NCAA standards.

I don't know. This may have some affect on what type of person/player he becomes, but I really don't care about it. Show up and play ball. There have been a bunch of jive talkers and idiots that have been able to do that.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012   #89
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Here's video highlights of a game with TJ Yates throwing to Dwight Jones at UNC (I think it was two years ago).

7 catches for 198 yards and two TDs in this game.
This. He is not the brightest bulb but he can catch the ball and do something with it. We are not talking about drugs, assault, having children with 6 different women or arguing with coaches. If he repeats selling personal items in the pros no one will say anything. Let's give the kid a mentor, reasonable expectations as to conduct of a TEXAN and say go catch the ball.

We know he can do that as we also know Keenum can pass.
Old 05-01-2012   #90
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What Dwight Jones did was dumb. But, what does being dumb have to do with being able to catch passes in the NFL? You can be dumb as a box of rocks, as still make an amazing living in sports. Jones will make or not make the team based upon his ability to play and commit to the sport.

With Jacoby gone, there's a locker available at Reliant for a knucklehead WR. I like Dwight's chances.
Old 05-01-2012   #91
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80468 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

eh, he's got the talent but his self destructive behavior will eventually show up & get him off the team if he can't humble himself.

Steve Smith and Arian Foster were both guys that had attitude problems when they 1st came into the league. Perfectly fine with the risk they're taking here with this kid as he could turn into a good one.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012   #92
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 75563 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
What Dwight Jones did was dumb. But, what does being dumb have to do with being able to catch passes in the NFL? You can be dumb as a box of rocks, as still make an amazing living in sports. Jones will make or not make the team based upon his ability to play and commit to the sport.

With Jacoby gone, there's a locker available at Reliant for a knucklehead WR. I like Dwight's chances.
Just axe CJ2ypc.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012   #93
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Just in case people are wondering about the logistics of what I posted, here it is in truncated form:

I built the story from an article that I think CnD had posted, where UNC officials were quoted as having threatened Jones with the proposition of suspending him from the bowl game...so he wisely complied...then after the bowl game he got his swerve on again by hitting warp speed with promotion of the party.

It was a pretty smart move, for a brief moment (since he got to play in the bowl game), but then UNC decided their response to his shenanigans was to ban him from their official UNC Pro Day.

I should go back and quote all the source material but meh. You guys can dig for it if you wanna.
Old 05-01-2012   #94
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 104376 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

So he should of said "Well I plan on being the PS WR, not doing much of anything, and collecting as much cash as I can before they cut me or I make a boneheaded play"?

Again, I prefer a WR that is saying what he's saying IF he can deliver. If he can do what he THINKS he can do, he'll be that emotional spark plug every team needs. If...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012   #95
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 64177 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't see what the big deal was in the interview.

He was laughing when the said the next Andre Johnson bit.

And he spends a great deal of the interview talking about how much he admires Johnson and wants to learn from him.

If you just were listening to the interview without the DWIGHT JONES SAYS HE'S NEXT ANDRE JOHNSON vibe, it really isn't much of anything but a potstir.

If he works hard in camp, he has a shot to make the team or the practice squad.

If he doesn't fit, he's just an UDFA and the Texans took a swing that missed. So what?

Foster almost wasn't a Texan. Braman had issues that he had to overcome to make the actual roster. Sometimes you hit, sometimes you miss.

Given his physical attributes and his relationship with TJ Yates, I don't mind seeing if they can turn him into a Texan.
Old 05-01-2012   #96
redwhiteANDblue
Color of Texans

Rep Power: 4784 redwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respected

Dont know much about this guy but I remember reading mocks last year saying that we would be lucky to get him in the 2nd round. A lot of people were saying he would be great. Now that we got him as a UDFA that must be a amazing value no? If he was as good as people said he was last year he should have no trouble making the team
Old 05-01-2012   #97
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
I don't see what the big deal was in the interview.
Agreed. Not much more than some manufactured outrage here.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012   #98
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

late to this thread but i really like the pickup

i remember ppl wanting this guy last yr when we saw tj's highlight vids because every second play was a big play to #83. little risk, high reward in a position of need...

kinda like in 09 when we took the talented rb that fell his senior yr because he didnt play as much and had personality concerns
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012   #99
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 35346 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
I don't see what the big deal was in the interview...
And he spends a great deal of the interview talking about how much he admires Johnson and wants to learn from him...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFanatic View Post
Agreed. Not much more than some manufactured outrage here.
This was my interpretation of what he said as well.
Old 05-06-2012   #100
EVOLVIST
Kid A

Rep Power: 26851 EVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respected

A brief Dwight Jones interview after his last UNC game. It really doesn't sound like the same Dwight Jones from the interview with the Houston media.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48D6xeUG_JI

After watching several interviews with Jones online, it makes me think that his statement to the Houston media was more a.) him not being drafted and hyping himself up...to himself! and b.) coming in with a chip on his shoulder because he went undrafted.
EVOLVIST is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read