Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-30-2012   #61
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: UDFA, Dwight Jones, WR, North Carolina

When you're an UDFA, as Foster has shown, you just shut your trap and get to work. Because you're on the outside looking in, and every little thing will be used to make that final roster decision. The things you say, the ways you act, how you practice, how you play, etc., etc.

Like I said earlier: He's acting like signing the UDFA offer makes him a day 1 starter. LOL. This is why this guy was not drafted. He sounds like a pain in the ass to me. An insecure, ego-driven pain in the ass.

All the skills in the world won't help you at some point. Ask Terrell Owens.
Old 04-30-2012   #62
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
When you're an UDFA, as Foster has shown, you just shut your trap and get to work. Because you're on the outside looking in, and every little thing will be used to make that final roster decision. The things you say, the ways you act, how you practice, how you play, etc., etc.

Like I said earlier: He's acting like signing the UDFA offer makes him a day 1 starter. LOL. This is why this guy was not drafted. He sounds like a pain in the ass to me. An insecure, ego-driven pain in the ass.

All the skills in the world won't help you at some point. Ask Terrell Owens.
To was old and injured. Despite his antics he kept getting employment until he wasn't as talented a player anymore.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012   #63
CretorFrigg
Fire Rick Smith

Rep Power: 33323 CretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
Wow. I'm going to have to listen to the interview. Sounds like it's cringe worthy though. He's going to have a hard time making the team if he doesn't grow up.
I just listened to it, and it's bad. Think Chad Ochocinco except not even funny.
Old 04-30-2012   #64
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
To was old and injured. Despite his antics he kept getting employment until he wasn't as talented a player anymore.
Actually, I think his mouth started writing checks his ass couldn't cash.

Even when he was younger and talented, he made a conscious decision to be this brash, mouthy guy who wanted everyone to worship him. THAT was the beginning of the end. The health issues just was karma cherry on top.

This guy? He's an UDFA and doesn't even know how much his back is up against the wall in terms of making the team. Hell, making the PS even at worst.

Joseph and Manning will give him some on-field therapy, though. Those two guys don't take crap off nobody. And won't start taking it anytime soon.

It looks like the Texans are getting Ravens-itis where they think they've got the locker room leaders to handle sour pusses like this guy. Ravend bring in Suggs because they know Ray Lewis will line his azz out and keep him focused. I think the Posey pick and this other douche nozzle are here only because Kubiak thinks he's got the leaders to handle them.

Kind of a nice thing to think about, that we've got some cocky and mouthy guys now. A little spice to the recipe, but I have my doubts that Jones can make the team even if he did shut his mouth and only did his work. He's UDFA and his time will be short. Kubiak even cuts UDFAs before camp begins, and adds guys in their place. This guy needs to get a grip if he wants a real shot.
Old 04-30-2012   #65
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Actually, I think his mouth started writing checks his ass couldn't cash.

Even when he was younger and talented, he made a conscious decision to be this brash, mouthy guy who wanted everyone to worship him. THAT was the beginning of the end. The health issues just was karma cherry on top.

This guy? He's an UDFA and doesn't even know how much his back is up against the wall in terms of making the team. Hell, making the PS even at worst.

Joseph and Manning will give him some on-field therapy, though. Those two guys don't take crap off nobody. And won't start taking it anytime soon.

It looks like the Texans are getting Ravens-itis where they think they've got the locker room leaders to handle sour pusses like this guy. Ravend bring in Suggs because they know Ray Lewis will line his azz out and keep him focused. I think the Posey pick and this other douche nozzle are here only because Kubiak thinks he's got the leaders to handle them.

Kind of a nice thing to think about, that we've got some cocky and mouthy guys now. A little spice to the recipe, but I have my doubts that Jones can make the team even if he did shut his mouth and only did his work. He's UDFA and his time will be short. Kubiak even cuts UDFAs before camp begins, and adds guys in their place. This guy needs to get a grip if he wants a real shot.
Suggs was drafted #10 out of ASU... so when you say "brought him in". I am hoping you mean drafted?

Far as the comparisons to T.O.. TO was at least a 3rd round draft pick and was likely to make the team. Jones.. UDFA with baggage. Even at first you didn't hear a lot about TO until he really started to make an impact then he blow up with some self promotion.

Far as the locker room being able to hold its own... hard to think not when you have guys, specially on the defensive side now, that seem like the they can be enforcers.

Honestly, I don't see why some people are getting their feathers ruffled over bold talk from an UDFA that has yet to REALLY prove he's worthy of a spot.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012   #66
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Wow.

I really don't think it's that big of a deal. The guy made some bold statements and pumped himself up.

He either plays well or he doesn't. The end.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012   #67
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Probably not a bad thing knowing we have players that can keep them in line (hopefully). At least with Posey he's not being a cocky m'fer running his mouth. He made some mistakes, but he's not brash about it. Still practiced with the team instead of working out on his own which speaks volumes, IMO.

But if this guy had any common sense he'd realize that being an UDFA isn't exactly a guaranteed spot. Hell, as an UDFA you're lucky to make it to the 3rd preseason game, much less start. Somebody needs to knock some common sense in him. I have no doubt Manning, JoJo, Cushing, or someone else on D will "welcome" him to the team. I have my doubts if it will do much good though. I don't know if any player we've ever had has made such a bad first impression.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-30-2012   #68
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 101315 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

He has a big mouth but i like his confidence. He has the size and speed to be an A.J like player, Personality not so much.
Old 04-30-2012   #69
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 213051 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco west View Post
Didn't know that mattered. It still came off as cocky. If you ask Andre who is the best WR in the NFL and he'll tell you Calvin Johnson. Didn't matter if he was asked the question.
Because that's the right answer.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012   #70
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 101315 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Because that's the right answer.
Both in prime i would of taken AJ anyday of the week !!!!
Old 04-30-2012   #71
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 213051 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
Both in prime i would of taken AJ anyday of the week !!!!
I won't argue with you at all on that point.

but the question is: "Who's the best, right now?"

The beauty of them both is that neither are diva types. I'd bet that if you asked Megatron who's the best right now? He would probably answer "Andre Johnson".

They are both humble like that.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012   #72
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202148 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

LONELY END: UNC WR Dwight Jones holds pro day in exile
BY STEVE WISEMAN
heraldsun.com

Quote:
CHAPEL HILL — More than three NFL dozen scouts gathered at the UNC's Navy Yards practice fields Tuesday to watch most of the former North Carolina football players eligible for next month’s draft work out.

Only one made the trek across town to see the most notable player absent from the Navy Fields workout.

While his former teammates like Quinton Coples, Charles Brown, Matt Merletti and Dante Paige-Moss ran 40-yard dashes and shuttle drills, record-setting wide receiver Dwight Jones was at East Chapel Hill High School.

Jones intended to join the group on UNC’s campus for the school’s NFL Pro Day. His actions last December, UNC athletics director Bubba Cunningham decided, made that inappropriate.

In a phone conversation, Cunningham told Jones he didn’t live up to the promises he made when UNC officials worked with the NCAA to get him eligible to play in the Independence Bowl against Missouri on Dec. 26.

So Jones, who set UNC’s single-season record for pass receptions (85) last season, was banned from attending UNC’s NFL Pro Day.

“Jones committed a secondary NCAA violation in December 2011, when he allowed his name and photo to be used to promote a for-profit event in his hometown of Burlington,” UNC spokesman Kevin Best said in a statement released Tuesday. “UNC worked with the NCAA to restore Jones’ eligibility based on his agreement to cancel the party. Jones was reinstated and played in the Independence Bowl.

“However, immediately after the bowl game, Jones re-scheduled the event and had the party. Based on those facts, Jones was not allowed to participate in North Carolina’s NFL Pro Day on Tuesday.”

The party was scheduled for a nightclub in Burlington Dec. 31. It was publicized with printed flyers and a web page.

Jones admitted Tuesday that the party took place, but said he didn’t attend it. He said he didn’t bother arguing with Cunningham over the phone last weekend.

“I told him it was his decision and I wasn’t going to argue with him,” Jones said. “I didn’t do anything wrong. But nobody is going to ever take food from my kids and my mother.”

Jones said that, since his eligibility was over after UNC lost 41-24 to Missouri in Shreveport, La., he felt he was free to do as he pleased.

“I was a grown man and my college career was over,” Jones said. “I was done with the university.”

Because that decision caused UNC to be done with Jones, his agents organized a scouting event on East Chapel Hill High’s football field.

It was scheduled to start around 1:30 p.m., but it was closer to 3 p.m. when Denver Broncos scout Nick Schiralli arrived carrying a stopwatch and a tape measure to time Jones in the 40-yard dash.

East Chapel Hill High School coach Bill Renner had about 200 of the school’s students in the stands. They were allowed out of class on an in-school field trip to learn about a sports marketing opportunity.

Before Schiralli arrived, Jones caught passes from former Kansas State quarterback Sammuel Lamur. Some of the students cheered from the stands when Jones made the catches.

“I just love playing football,” Jones said. “Just to go out there and run in front of the kids, that was really the best moment of the day, not even the fact that the scout showed up. That’s a blessing, too.”

Projected to be selected in the second or third rounds of the April 26-28, Jones admitted that working at UNC with his teammates would have been nice.

But now, the receiver who caught 85 passes for 1,196 yards and 12 touchdowns last season is looking forward to what’s next.

“It would have been nice to share one last outing with the guys I played with,” Jones said. “But whatever God has in store for me, I’m not complaining. Everything happens for a reason. I’ve been through this situation before. People always doubted me. My story has just begun.”
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012   #73
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202148 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012   #74
GP 
Go Texans!

That party poster has the text "2012 NFL Projected Top Draft Pick" on it. LOL. Wow.

Then this bit of comedy:

Quote:
“I told him it was his decision and I wasn’t going to argue with him,” Jones said. “I didn’t do anything wrong. But nobody is going to ever take food from my kids and my mother.”

Jones said that, since his eligibility was over after UNC lost 41-24 to Missouri in Shreveport, La., he felt he was free to do as he pleased.

“I was a grown man and my college career was over,” Jones said. “I was done with the university.”
You're not "done with the university" at the conclusion of the bowl game, you nitwit. You still have to finish out the semester like any other student athlete. You're still attending college, eating the meals, living in the dorm room (all of which were paid by the university, by the way).

And if you bail out and just leave school...then you get to have your own pro day at some obscure location and one scout show up to witness it. But somehow he thinks people are taking food off the table of his kids and his mom? Dude, YOU did that to yourself.

Man, this guy is a head case. Period. Victim mentality with no desire to play by the rules. I think Kubiak will cut this guy if he goes off the reservation even a little bit.
Old 04-30-2012   #75
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90711 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Wonder if that also includes not finishing out his classes.

Wondering if this guy has the work ethic needed.
Old 04-30-2012   #76
GP 
Go Texans!

Here's video highlights of a game with TJ Yates throwing to Dwight Jones at UNC (I think it was two years ago).

7 catches for 198 yards and two TDs in this game.
Old 04-30-2012   #77
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 282115 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Jones against 10th pick in 3rd round, 98th overall CB Jayron Hosley -- note Hosley tested positive for drugs at the combine & that probably knocked his draft status back from 2nd round:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F01xFUaKKqA
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012   #78
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 23872 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
AJ is a role model, not a life coach. Dwight needs someone who will keep him in check when he's not with the team. Maybe his mom will come to Houston and take care of him while he's here?
Yeh you may be right but he sure gave #31 of the Titans a couple of pointers to think about!!!!
Old 05-01-2012   #79
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
That can't be real. Jan 1 is a Tuesday in 2013, so the original must have come from 2010/11. Was it a Dez Bryant poster? That sounds like something he would do.
Old 05-01-2012   #80
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 282115 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
AJ is a role model, not a life coach. Dwight needs someone who will keep him in check when he's not with the team. Maybe his mom will come to Houston and take care of him while he's here?
I can guarantee you AJ won't give this kid the time of day with that attitude. Might sign an autograph for him as he's leaving.

Word to the wise on making in the NFL, and why there are so many busts:

Quote:
“I didn’t realize coming up how much work you had to put in once you got to the NFL,” Salaam told the Chicago Tribune. “It’s a whole different lifestyle. You have to change the way you live. You have to change who you hang out with. You have to totally get focused on your game. You have the athletic ability, but if you don’t put the work behind it, nothing will come from it.”

Salaam said he enjoyed partying and enjoyed smoking pot, but didn’t enjoy working out. When he was able to step onto the field as a rookie and — despite a lengthy contract holdout that had him miss training camp — instantly become the Bears’ No. 1 rusher, he thought the NFL would come as easily to him as football at every other level always had. As it turned out, after that impressive rookie year Salaam would gain a grand total of just 610 yards in the remainder of his NFL career.

“I had no discipline. I had all the talent in the world,” Salaam recalled. “You know, great body, great genes. But I had no work ethic and I had no discipline. The better you get, the harder you have to work. The better I got, the lazier I got. . . . My whole life, up until the Chicago Bears . . . everything was perfect. You know, Parade All-American, Heisman Trophy winner. . . . So I was bound to go through some challenges. Going to the pros at 20 years old and not being disciplined.” --link
So do you think this Jones kid is going to put in the necessary work & lifestyle changes to make it in the NFL? I'm not sure anyone can change that much.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read