Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 04-29-2012   #1
kingh99

Default Why Did The Redskins Draft Kirk Cousins?

Did mgmt or the coaching staff already have a falling out with Griffin? He is starting to come across as a possible prima donna. What a hilarious situation. Shanahan is always crapping the sheets with players. How that guy can stay employed as head coach amazes me. So now they have this soapbox and crazy owner and Seal playing QB for the Redskins. You have to laugh.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...ay3/index.html
Old 04-29-2012   #2
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 98526 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Why Did The Redskins Draft Kirk Cousins?

IMO, they probably think they can develop him and get something for him. Used a 4th on him and could maybe trade him for a 1st or 2nd in 3 years of so. I think they're so locked in on, and confident in, Griffin that they didn't even think about how this would affect him.

I don't think they thought about the consequences before they pulled the trigger, they just saw an opportunity and went for it. I don't know if this will cause a QB controversy in Washington because Griffin is "The Guy". Sucks for Cousins because he will never be given a fair shake while he's there.

He's basically there to prove to other teams he can play, not the Redskins.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012   #3
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 114345 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

to think controversy is asinine. i'm going to do the unthinkable and agree with charlie casserly (while stating the obvious), you NEED a backup quarterback who can step right in. we know that better than anybody, as we rode our 3rd string 5th round rookie into the playoffs. for the redskins, a 4th round rookie is a major upgrade at backup qb over their current mess. cousins is someone who can grow with the offense directly with griffin, be there if griffin runs himself into an injury, and will become trade fodder in a couple of years (when a new backup is drafted and fans again go chicken little).

the future was mortgaged for griffin, he's going to start the duration of his contract regardless of performance. no pick or free agent is going to change that, but folks appear to think that any other qb on the roster is a threat. cousins is a prudent selection with zero impact on griffin.

unless of course it's safe to strap onto a rookie rushing quarterback with only rex "kcuf it i'm going deep!" grossman behind him.
Old 04-29-2012   #4
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 206631 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
IMO, they probably think they can develop him and get something for him. Used a 4th on him and could maybe trade him for a 1st or 2nd in 3 years of so. I think they're so locked in on, and confident in, Griffin that they didn't even think about how this would affect him.

I don't think they thought about the consequences before they pulled the trigger, they just saw an opportunity and went for it. I don't know if this will cause a QB controversy in Washington because Griffin is "The Guy". Sucks for Cousins because he will never be given a fair shake while he's there.

He's basically there to prove to other teams he can play, not the Redskins.
I pretty much agree with this post .... but on the bright side for Cousins , he gets to learn under Shannahan who's a pretty good coach at the position.

They have a good chance to turn that 4th into something like the two seconds Atlanta got for Schaub.

Dont think they are win now mode so if this works out for them , those picks down the road could be helpful ...

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012   #5
Lucky

Rep Power: 169923 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
IMO, they probably think they can develop him and get something for him.
How are the Skins going to get Cousins the reps necessary to develop him? They should be acquiring pieces to build around Griffin. This drafting to trade later logic led Casserly to waste a pick on Dave Ragone (NFL Europe MVP). There wasn't a WR, lineman, or RB at that point in the draft that could help Griffin? What do you think, Gary?

My sentiments, exactly.
Old 04-29-2012   #6
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 206631 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
How are the Skins going to get Cousins the reps necessary to develop him? They should be acquiring pieces to build around Griffin. This drafting to trade later logic led Casserly to waste a pick on Dave Ragone (NFL Europe MVP). There wasn't a WR, lineman, or RB at that point in the draft that could help Griffin? What do you think, Gary?

My sentiments, exactly.
Of course I agree with you completely .... they should have been drafting to help their rookie QB .... but I can see why they might take a chance at a high return later.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012   #7
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

They were still one play away from Sexy Rexy tossin' leather.

ESPN is fabricating controversy, I swear, If the river of tears that Herm Edwards cried meets up with the OCEAN of snot bubbles, tears and quivering lip drool that used to be known as Ron Jaworski then we are all screwed. Someone build an arc!! I've never seen two grown men ruin make-up so fast. Jewish people being seperated in lines during the Holocaust didn't cry that hard. Jaws was more concerned with the Kirk Cousins pick than Jackie O was sitting next to a dead president. Herm Edwards' sad face was responsible for the brief eclipse yesterday. Ok I'm done lol...

Seriously. It's actually a pretty good pick.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-29-2012   #8
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 307979 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Why? Simple: John Beck, Rex Grossman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingh99 View Post
So now they have this soapbox and crazy owner and Seal playing QB for the Redskins. You have to laugh.
You should try calling him that to his face.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012   #9
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Just watched a piece on Sparten Pro Day which Shanahan attended & it's simple, he fell in love with Kirk Cousins

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012   #10
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264941 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
to think controversy is asinine. i'm going to do the unthinkable and agree with charlie casserly (while stating the obvious), you NEED a backup quarterback who can step right in.
I think this is the first reason..... with Mike Vick 2.0, Griffin isn't a lock to finish the season.

Secondly, who have they got to push the kid? I think it's pretty smart to say, "We like you kid, but you're going to have to work to keep this job."

Much rather have Vick 2.0 than Russell 1.1
Old 04-29-2012   #11
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264941 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Of course I agree with you completely .... they should have been drafting to help their rookie QB .... but I can see why they might take a chance at a high return later.
Didn't they just sign Garcon? Then they've got Moss & Gafney. Not flashy, but a decent cast. Fred Davis, Chris Cooley..... & I think Helu is going to blow up.

Ok, maybe they could have used a 4th round RB.....
Old 04-29-2012   #12
ziggy29
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12794 ziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respected

The Skins immediately have #1 and #2 on their depth charts, probably, from guys who have never taken a snap. That's how pitiful their QB situation was.

Nevertheless, this team has too many other problems (IMO) to blow a 4th rounder on someone who is either an obvious backup or trade bait. Depth is always a nice thing to have, especially at key positions... but is it worth getting "depth" at QB with the 4th round pick when you have so many other problems going unmet? There are only so many UDFAs that will be able to make an impact. And with the investment you just made in RG3, don't you want to beef up the receiving corps and O-line to get more return on that investment?

The only other potential option is that Washington thinks they can get more than the value of a 4th rounder in trade eventually (whether it's a player they value more than that or a future draft pick).
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012   #13
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

They cut John Beck and probably had Cousins rated as a 2nd or 3rd round pick. When he fell to their 4th, they took him as they need a backup QB. No big deal really, they have a talented defense and signed quite a few free agents so it should be somewhat of a luxury pick.
Old 04-29-2012   #14
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

The Colts took 2 QBs as well
Old 04-29-2012   #15
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 109602 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

I heard the debate on NFLN.. Cousins won't get the reps and if he does then something terribly went wrong with RG3 .. either he got injured or didn't develope into the player that was worth giving up 3 number ones and whatever else for.
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012   #16
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 109602 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
true but it was a 7th rounder and last pick at that
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012   #17
ziggy29
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12794 ziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Yeah, but the second Colts QB was Mr. Irrelevant -- basically the same thing as a UDFA -- not a high 4th rounder.
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012   #18
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 34649 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Could it be that maybe since QB is the most important position in sports you can never have too many?
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012   #19
Lucky

Rep Power: 169923 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
Could it be that maybe since QB is the most important position in sports you can never have too many?
Signed,
Charley Casserly
Old 04-29-2012   #20
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 63721 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Signed,
Charley Casserly
Heeeyyyy what about me?
Signed,
Jon Gruden
NitroGSXR is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read