Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-09-2012   #241
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 51245 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Former University of Houston QB Case Keenum agrees to a contract with the Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I think this idea the Texans are otherwise so good they don't need anything from their QB is being vastly overstated. Every team needs to convert 3rd and 7s and 3rd and 12s through the course of the season. Every team needs to step up the pace and rely on its passing game at some point in the season.
Exactly! Texans offense with Schaub vs. without Schaub should be enough to prove that point. It was night and day. You may not need a HOFer back there, but you do need someone who is a little better than "just manage the game", or you'll struggle to score 20, just like the Texans did when Schaub went down.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012   #242
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 218004 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Former University of Houston QB Case Keenum agrees to a contract with the Texans

Quote:
I think this idea the Texans are otherwise so good they don't need anything from their QB is being vastly overstated. Every team needs to convert 3rd and 7s and 3rd and 12s through the course of the season. Every team needs to step up the pace and rely on its passing game at some point in the season.
I completely agree. Just think it's funny how the conversation went when we thought Leinart(sp) was going to be our QB.
Old 06-09-2012   #243
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 218004 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post

Not saying he is teh awesome, but with the Texans he gets to keep the same system, has no starter pressure, can get refinement on his skills.

You can see at OTAs he's someone that has had a lot of reps before.

Just speculating from observation, but I think that with Beck they are working on a lot of detail stuff and with Keenum they are working a lot on reads.

Can't really assess QBs too hard until there's a real pass rush. Nothing like hearing Rex Ryan talk about how good Sanchez looks in the pocket when they are all wearing shorts with no tackling.
In your opinion, from what you've seen, how are his leadership skills? Does he have "it" how do the guys respond to him?
Old 06-09-2012   #244
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
In your opinion, from what you've seen, how are his leadership skills? Does he have "it" how do the guys respond to him?
There's nothing to judge that one way or another from watching them throw the ball around.
Old 06-09-2012   #245
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 143539 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
6'5/8
Thanks, shorter than I thought.
Old 06-09-2012   #246
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 143539 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
It's amazing that folks look at a "home town" product, and believe that three weeks of practices in helmets and shorts that are not open to outside observers (beyond a few media members) will convince other teams to reserve one out of 53 roster spots for someone when five years of college football, the NFL combine, U of H pro day, and the opportunity to bring him in for interviews/workouts did not even convince one of them to use a 7th round draft pick on him.
Keenum passed for 6800 yards and 48 TDs in 3A in Abiline Texas. He also ran for 41 scores and 2,000 yards.

In college he passed for 19,217 155 TDs and only 46 INTs. He also ran for 900 and 23 TDs. He needs to refine to NFL but has the coaching to do so. He excels when he is under pressure. Certainly he now has NFL competition but he Also Has the Houston Texans blocking, catching and running for him.

Think I'll keep watching him for a bit.
Old 06-09-2012   #247
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 77346 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Keenum passed for 6800 yards and 48 TDs in 3A in Abiline Texas. He also ran for 41 scores and 2,000 yards.

In college he passed for 19,217 155 TDs and only 46 INTs. He also ran for 900 and 23 TDs. He needs to refine to NFL but has the coaching to do so. He excels when he is under pressure. Certainly he now has NFL competition but he Also Has the Houston Texans blocking, catching and running for him.

Think I'll keep watching him for a bit.
None of that has anything to do with my post (he had done all of that prior to the draft as best I can recall). I just think it's unlikely he'll do anything to change that perception in TC/preseason.

For the record, I view him as not getting picked up on waivers as a good thing since I'm a Case fan in addition to a Texans fan - I'm simply asking why are so many folks so positive Case would get picked up on waivers, when history has shown that to be highly unlikely.
Old 06-09-2012   #248
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
None of that has anything to do with my post (he had done all of that prior to the draft as best I can recall). I just think it's unlikely he'll do anything to change that perception in TC/preseason.

For the record, I view him as not getting picked up on waivers as a good thing since I'm a Case fan in addition to a Texans fan - I'm simply asking why are so many folks so positive Case would get picked up on waivers, when history has shown that to be highly unlikely.
I wish there was some statistic as to how many qb's were on practice squads last year.

I don't see a bunch of teams picking up qb's off of practice squads.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012   #249
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 198610 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
What?

Beck has played better than Keenum in OTAs. As he should given a head start.

Someone asked about CK in post-practice quotes, and Kubiak said nice things.

I think he's done nice things.

But nobody is going to grab CK off the practice squad unless they like short rookie QBs with no NFL experience to go on their game day roster. I think getting stashed on practice squad is his best chance barring injury from the guys ahead of him.
This is what I was attempting to point out. If it were me rolling the dice, I'd keep Beck on the roster and take the shot that no one will snap up Keenum during the waiver process.

I mean, having our two backup QBs with just one year of NFL experience between them sounds a little risky to me.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012   #250
Lucky

Rep Power: 145631 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post

I mean, having our two backup QBs with just one year of NFL experience between them sounds a little risky to me.
Having John Beck as a backup is about as risky as it gets.
Old 06-10-2012   #251
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 186361 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Having John Beck as a backup is about as risky as it gets.
In the games I saw him in, he seemed to get rattled under any significant pass rush. And I noticed he would resort to a hurried sloppy sidearm delivery, quite remeniscent of D...d C..r. I also remember a couple "hail Marys" into the EZ. The problem was, these weren't thrown at the end of a game.....and they were thrown not from 40 yds, but from less than 10 yards. Last year, I remember thinking how pitifull the Redskins were having to agonize over a decision between Grossman and Beck.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012   #252
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 21402 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It's amazing that folks look at a "home town" product, and believe that three weeks of practices in helmets and shorts that are not open to outside observers (beyond a few media members) will convince other teams to reserve one out of 53 roster spots for someone when five years of college football, the NFL combine, U of H pro day, and the opportunity to bring him in for interviews/workouts did not even convince one of them to use a 7th round draft pick on him.
Which is why Houston didn't draft him either.... How do you know other teams weren't looking at him as an UDFA?
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012   #253
Lucky

Rep Power: 145631 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Last year, I remember thinking how pitifull the Redskins were having to agonize over a decision between Grossman and Beck.
I didn't get Baby Shanny's love affair with Beck. Yes, Rex is a bad NFL QB. But...he's an NFL QB. Beck should be selling insurance or coaching high school ball. He's not an NFL QB. I'm not surprised that Beck looks OK on the sandlot, tossing around balls without live bullets. There are a ton of guys that could come off the street and do that.

I don't know if Case Keenum can make the roster. I don't know if he would or wouldn't be claimed off the practice squad. His ability to succeed in the NFL is a complete unknown. Beck is a known. He's 30 years old, entering his 6th year in the league, and he's done nothing but fail. John Beck should be nowhere near this final roster.
Old 06-10-2012   #254
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:

I think it has everything to do with your post. NFL teams constantly watch what others do. A team makes it to playoffs with a certain defense, offense or big back versus smaller back, TEs versus WRs and others follow. I think the fact that Texans signed Case drew attention of other GMs. Kubiak talking him up could be just that or it could be a QB making coach seeing some things others did not or saw and chose not to make a move. The stats (and your recollection is accurate) were before the draft but still happened. Keenum can throw the ball and do so accurately. Eyeballs watched him make different types of throws that some doubt he can. A cautious coach wants to see him do it under pressure which during college was his forte.

True, we do not know if Keenum will do well in the NFL, but we can say that about almost all college players. A 24 year old with those stats and no NFL experience gets the nod from me over a 30 year old who has done almost zilch while in the NFL for years. Stephanie has pointed out that in OTA's the more experienced QB has played better than Keenum. Well, would you expect that tto be the case (pun intended).
Old 06-10-2012   #255
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

On team generally raiding the practice squads of other teams.: Happens, of course, but fans fear of it is greater than the reality of how often it occurs. and even when it does, the exception is when that specific player becomes a long term significant piece in the NFL. Also, if a team is truly worried about a player being taken from the practice squad then simply paying him more than the minimium salary is an option.

On Keenum love:

1) Is a Houston prodcut who has provided no reason to be negative towaards him.
2) Highly productive as a college player. would have some suppport because of that no matter where he was played college ball.
3) Has overcome injury and remained #2.
4) does have some good traits viewable on film, although his overall profile is borderline NFL.

My belief is that if Keenum wasn't from the area he would have a few people high on him, but the sort near assurance some people have that he will be successful would not exist. Nice story, but has a long way to go to be even a decent NFL back-up.
Old 06-10-2012   #256
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 77346 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
Which is why Houston didn't draft him either.... How do you know other teams weren't looking at him as an UDFA?
No doubt they were, and I would imagine the Texans weren't the only ones who offered him a contract, but there's a huge difference between giving somebody an opportunity to try out as part of a 90 man roster, and bringing somebody in who's guaranteed a spot on a 53 man roster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I think it has everything to do with your post. NFL teams constantly watch what others do. A team makes it to playoffs with a certain defense, offense or big back versus smaller back, TEs versus WRs and others follow. I think the fact that Texans signed Case drew attention of other GMs. Kubiak talking him up could be just that or it could be a QB making coach seeing some things others did not or saw and chose not to make a move. The stats (and your recollection is accurate) were before the draft but still happened. Keenum can throw the ball and do so accurately. Eyeballs watched him make different types of throws that some doubt he can. A cautious coach wants to see him do it under pressure which during college was his forte.

True, we do not know if Keenum will do well in the NFL, but we can say that about almost all college players. A 24 year old with those stats and no NFL experience gets the nod from me over a 30 year old who has done almost zilch while in the NFL for years. Stephanie has pointed out that in OTA's the more experienced QB has played better than Keenum. Well, would you expect that tto be the case (pun intended).
First, my original post referred to teams wanting him after the three weeks of OTA practices in helmet and shorts. Believe what you want to believe about his desirability to other teams, but if you think anything's different right now than it was immediately before the draft, just keep on believing that.

And I'm not going to argue with you about the likelihood of making it through waivers. I've got my position, you've got yours - maybe we'll get a chance to find out what would happen, maybe not. I just believe that with a starting QB who missed the last 8 games of last season, and a backup who's going into his second year, that unless Beck totally stinks up the joint in preseason (not an impossibility by any means), they'd rather keep Beck and stash Case on the practice squad - and obviously I think that the practice squad will likely be a viable option. On a long-term basis, there's no doubt that Case is the better option, and if it boiled down to a choice between one or the other, I agree it would be Case - I just don't think it's going to boil down to that choice going into the 2012 season.
Old 06-10-2012   #257
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
No doubt they were, and I would imagine the Texans weren't the only ones who offered him a contract, but there's a huge difference between giving somebody an opportunity to try out as part of a 90 man roster, and bringing somebody in who's guaranteed a spot on a 53 man roster.
Agreed. If someone were to snatch him on waivers, he has to be guaranteed a spot on the 53. As has been said, I doubt anyone will see anything from Case over the next three months that they didn't see over the last 4 years.

The only way he could possibly get claimed off waivers, would be if some team has extremely horrible luck over the next three months & that team has intimate knowledge of him (i.e. his college QB coach or offensive coordinator is pulling the strings on that team).

He'll hit the practice squad & we'll have three QBs working our system, Schaub, Yates, Beck.
Old 06-10-2012   #258
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 306626 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Agreed. If someone were to snatch him on waivers, he has to be guaranteed a spot on the 53.
No he doesn't. If he is grabbed through the waivers process he goes onto their roster of whatever size it is at that point and is guaranteed nothing. He could be cut the next day. If he passes through waivers he is free to sign to any team's practice squad, the Texans have no particular rights to him. If he signs to the Texans practice squad and then some other team signs him off our practice squad then he counts against their roster for a minimum of three weeks.
Old 06-10-2012   #259
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Agreed. If someone were to snatch him on waivers, he has to be guaranteed a spot on the 53.
I'm not sure if the rule changed or not, but I think you mean if he is snatched from the practice squad once the season begins.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012   #260
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
No he doesn't. If he is grabbed through the waivers process he goes onto their roster of whatever size it is at that point and is guaranteed nothing. He could be cut the next day. If he passes through waivers he is free to sign to any team's practice squad, the Texans have no particular rights to him. If he signs to the Texans practice squad and then some other team signs him off our practice squad then he counts against their roster for a minimum of three weeks.
I stand corrected.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read