Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-08-2012   #221
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30852 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Former University of Houston QB Case Keenum agrees to a contract with the Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
It's a given Yates makes the team. If Schaub makes it back, it'll be between Keenum and Beck for the 3rd slot.
That's going to be an interesting decision. I would think that Kubiak is going to think worse case scenario at some point picture the possibility that Schaub may get hurt again this year. In that case you can have Beck as the backup to Yates or a rookie in Keenum. Or you can roll the dice that Beck won't get picked up anywhere and you can always bring him back should that scenario play out.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012   #222
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 209676 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Former University of Houston QB Case Keenum agrees to a contract with the Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
That's going to be an interesting decision. I would think that Kubiak is going to think worse case scenario at some point picture the possibility that Schaub may get hurt again this year. In that case you can have Beck as the backup to Yates or a rookie in Keenum. Or you can roll the dice that Beck won't get picked up anywhere and you can always bring him back should that scenario play out.
Unless Keenum makes a sudden downturn in TC, there is no way that Kubiak takes the chance of putting him on the PS.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012   #223
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 263584 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Unless Keenum makes a sudden downturn in TC, there is no way that Kubiak takes the chance of putting him on the PS.
My feelings as well.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012   #224
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 223239 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think we all know that the #2 spot is Yates' to lose. To Kubiak's credit, IMHO, he did bring in someone (Beck) who is hungry and could take the spot from him should he (Yates) get to "comfy" or not progress sufficiently.

If, during preseason, Beck shows he's nipping at Yates' heels, production-wise, he might just get snapped up right after the final cuts. I'd bet beer money that he would represent a #2 QB upgrade for more than one or two teams around the league.

I'm wondering if the safer bet is to try and sneak Keenum through waivers and sit him on the PS. He wasn't drafted so no one thought he was even worth a late round or compensatory pick. Then there's that whole -"he ain't tall enough" crap... He might be more likely to survive the waiver process than Beck is to likely to still be available if someone comes up lame during the year...

Tough call on which way to go...
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012   #225
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30852 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I would think so as well, but I think a lot depends on Keenum's showing during the preseason. We all know Kubiak likes his pet QB projects so it would surprise me too to see him try to sneak him on the PS. If he's terrible in the preseason though he won't have to worry about that.
Old 06-08-2012   #226
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 63941 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I would think so as well, but I think a lot depends on Keenum's showing during the preseason. We all know Kubiak likes his pet QB projects so it would surprise me too to see him try to sneak him on the PS. If he's terrible in the preseason though he won't have to worry about that.
This is why Keenum will make the roster. He has more upside.
Brisco_County is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012   #227
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What?

Beck has played better than Keenum in OTAs. As he should given a head start.

Someone asked about CK in post-practice quotes, and Kubiak said nice things.

I think he's done nice things.

But nobody is going to grab CK off the practice squad unless they like short rookie QBs with no NFL experience to go on their game day roster. I think getting stashed on practice squad is his best chance barring injury from the guys ahead of him.
Old 06-08-2012   #228
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 248395 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
What?

But nobody is going to grab CK off the practice squad unless they like short rookie QBs with no NFL experience to go on their game day roster. I think getting stashed on practice squad is his best chance barring injury from the guys ahead of him.
Too much sense.
Old 06-08-2012   #229
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 124794 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What?

As an aside, I have much love for Case, but what I really wanna know about is Bill's current "case". Please post on that particular blog!!
Old 06-08-2012   #230
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 153912 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What?

Steph can you get a true height on Keenum? I understand he is closer to 6' 2".
Old 06-08-2012   #231
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
steph can you get a true height on keenum? I understand he is closer to 6' 2".
6'5/8
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012   #232
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What?

I agree that Keenum will most likely end up on the PS.

Beck, however, as I watched him play last year for the Redskins, gave them no chance to win any game.
For a 30-yr old guy, I seriously doubt that he can turn it around.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012   #233
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 209676 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Steph can you get a true height on Keenum? I understand he is closer to 6' 2".

Not to answer for Steph, but Keenum's height has been listed as anywhere from 6" 0" to 6' 2". His U of H official height was 6' 2" His official Combine height was 6' 1". His official Texans height is listed at 6' 1".

BTW, Beck was/is officially listed at the Combine and by the Texans at a towering 6' 2".
Old 06-08-2012   #234
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

I've been on the record pre-draft as saying I didn't believe Case was anymore than a possible backup QB in the league. I still hold true to that even though I wish the best for the kid, especially now that he's a Texan. He does some things well that should allow him to be pretty decent in this offense. I don't think his height will be a huge issue with the way we get our QB out of the pocket. If he is going to make it then I think this offense is a pretty good one for him to be successful in.
Old 06-08-2012   #235
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I agree that Keenum will most likely end up on the PS.

Beck, however, as I watched him play last year for the Redskins, gave them no chance to win any game.
Beck has tended to look good when not important, and MIA when called upon. It's without saying I respect Steph's expert read on things, but I still give Keenum a viable chance of overtaking Beck by the end of TC.
Old 06-09-2012   #236
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 248395 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I felt the same way about Jason Allen. It took him awhile, but his play at the end of the year was much closer to where he should have been.

Then when Lienart was slated to step in for Schaub, we all repeated the same talking points..... with this offense, with Arian Foster, our QBs don't have to be MVPs. They just need to know their roles & get our playmakers involved.

If OD gets closer to his ProBowl form, if Casey becomes a better Joel Dressen, If Andre can play just two or three more games...... Beck doesn't need to give us a chance to win, he needs to not lose games for us..... that is all.
Old 06-09-2012   #237
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 ckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Beck has tended to look good when not important, and MIA when called upon. It's without saying I respect Steph's expert read on things, but I still give Keenum a viable chance of overtaking Beck by the end of TC.
I see Beck as more of a camp body that knows the system so can help guys like Keenum when it comes to the plays and just being in the NFL as a whole. If Keenum has the talent and is showing it well, as it appears he does, Gary knows it is in the teams best interest to keep him as the #3. Houston kid is a huge bonus but cant really play into the decision, it has to be performance and you would rather have a kid with a big upside if he is performing well, then a journeyman who never lived up to his potential.
ckhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012   #238
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 336338 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Then when Lienart was slated to step in for Schaub, we all repeated the same talking points..... with this offense, with Arian Foster, our QBs don't have to be MVPs. They just need to know their roles & get our playmakers involved.

If OD gets closer to his ProBowl form, if Casey becomes a better Joel Dressen, If Andre can play just two or three more games...... Beck doesn't need to give us a chance to win, he needs to not lose games for us..... that is all.
I think this idea the Texans are otherwise so good they don't need anything from their QB is being vastly overstated. Every team needs to convert 3rd and 7s and 3rd and 12s through the course of the season. Every team needs to step up the pace and rely on its passing game at some point in the season.
Old 06-09-2012   #239
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Beck has the Sage Rosenfels pedigree. Thought of nicely coming out of college but then going to the black hole quarterback sucks that have been Dolphin/Redskin QB development.

Not saying he is teh awesome, but with the Texans he gets to keep the same system, has no starter pressure, can get refinement on his skills.

You can see at OTAs he's someone that has had a lot of reps before.

Just speculating from observation, but I think that with Beck they are working on a lot of detail stuff and with Keenum they are working a lot on reads.

Can't really assess QBs too hard until there's a real pass rush. Nothing like hearing Rex Ryan talk about how good Sanchez looks in the pocket when they are all wearing shorts with no tackling.
Old 06-09-2012   #240
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90172 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What?

It's amazing that folks look at a "home town" product, and believe that three weeks of practices in helmets and shorts that are not open to outside observers (beyond a few media members) will convince other teams to reserve one out of 53 roster spots for someone when five years of college football, the NFL combine, U of H pro day, and the opportunity to bring him in for interviews/workouts did not even convince one of them to use a 7th round draft pick on him.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read