Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-03-2012   #181
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 254692 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Former University of Houston QB Case Keenum agrees to a contract with the Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
I get a feeling that Keenum is going to turn into our Tony Romo.
I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012   #182
speedfreek
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 32864 speedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Former University of Houston QB Case Keenum agrees to a contract with the Texans

Tony can be a turnover machine, Keenum is generally safer with the ball..

TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.
speedfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012   #183
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

First thing first, I believe Keenum can be very beneficial to the Texans by running the scout team.

I read a book in which a coach described how hard it was to prepare for Barry Sanders. There's noboby on the team that can come anywhere close to emulate him to prepare the defense.

With Keenum, the defense will be well prepared against situations where the opponent runs an up-tempo/no huddle offense.

Early on in the season, Keenum was moving the offense too fast for the defense to keep up with. The UH coaches decided to "slow it down" some to give the defense some rest because they were spending too much time on the field.

Keenum was always ready to go on to the next play as soon as the previous one was done with. The ref couldn't place the ball quickly enough for him.

The last few years, there wasn't any college QB that runs the no huddle/up tempo as efficiently as Keenum.

At the moment, I think this is the value that he can bring to the Texans.
By running the scout team, he will help prepare the Texans defense for those occasions better than any back-up QB that have ever been on the Texans roster.
He will help keep the defensive players sharp and on their heels, and the team will be better because of it.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012   #184
redwhiteANDblue
Color of Texans

Rep Power: 5006 redwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know if this VIDEO was posted in this thread but nice to see actual game footage of keenum instead of just highlights. I didn't get a chance to watch it all but looks good so far.
Old 05-03-2012   #185
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 149849 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
I'm just glad we have him. The guy has a TON of potential and as a UDFA no downside. I'm pretty sure he sticks to the team unless he just royally screws up in camp and pre-season. Which I donthink he will.
would it not be a kick if dwight jones, case and loisoue (sp--ilb) made contributions?

Old 05-03-2012   #186
speedfreek
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 32864 speedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respected

This is a better example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTLN6...17537D7E4CDA0B

Keenum took an unranked UH team into stillwater and beat #5 OSU.

It's a better example, because in 2009 the cougar defense was a disaster and the offense had to win every game in a shootout. OSU had better talent across the board (including NFL talent on offense and defense).

By the time the 2011 Penn State game rolled around, the talent level (and defense) had increased at UH to the point where they were a legitimate top 25 team. (finished #14)

In 2007, Keenum lead a comeback (and almost won) in tuscaloosa against Alabama. Houston lost the game when they came up short in the endzone as time expired after rallying from almost 20 points down -- in front of a crowd of 93,000. He did not start, but came in after the other QB proved incapable of moving the ball.

The guy is used to playing well in big games in front of large crowds.

If he can translate that to the NFL we should be in for some fun times in the future.. If not, he at least got his shot with the hometown good-guys..

TJ
Old 05-04-2012   #187
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69152 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Some people seem to be absolutely in love with Case and I hope he turns out the be a real special find for the Texans but the odds just arent in our favor that it will roll that way
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-04-2012   #188
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 253700 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Champs View Post
Some people seem to be absolutely in love with Case and I hope he turns out the be a real special find for the Texans but the odds just arent in our favor that it will roll that way
Home boy makes good is always a great story. I'm really looking forward to seeing him this pre-season. But as with any player, the pudding is in the proof, or the icing is on the cake, or the beer is in the fridge, or something like that. LOL

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012   #189
Bulls on Parade
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18764 Bulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respected

He'll be starting by the Thanksgiving game against Detroit.

Let's hope not but I really like this kid.
Old 05-04-2012   #190
speedfreek
Hall of Fame

I like the kid but don't want him starting this year either.

Getting thrown into the fire too soon kills your career.
I'd rather give him time to learn under Kubiak (pro red-shirt..)

If Gary can do what he did with Plumber, then Case's potential
could be pretty high..

TJ
Old 05-04-2012   #191
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69152 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreek View Post
I like the kid but don't want him starting this year either.

Getting thrown into the fire too soon kills your career.
I'd rather give him time to learn under Kubiak (pro red-shirt..)

If Gary can do what he did with Plumber, then Case's potential
could be pretty high..

TJ

Im not sure "I like the kid" is the right statement, you seem extremely fond of him. I dont think anyone is talking about him starting this year.
Old 05-04-2012   #192
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 36959 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
I get a feeling that Keenum is going to turn into our Tony Romo.
He'll go from a place holder to starting QB.
Old 05-04-2012   #193
speedfreek
Hall of Fame

The guy brought my college team from the doldrums to the national
spotlight.

Now I'm just hoping he can do something similar for the Texans.

It's more like "I appreciate what he did", than it is "I am fond of him".

TJ

Quote:
Im not sure "I like the kid" is the right statement, you seem extremely fond of him. I dont think anyone is talking about him starting this year.
Old 05-04-2012   #194
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well, to be fair...anything can happen. Nobody here thought we'd be watching TJ Yates play a single snap in the 2011 season. Let alone in a playoff game.

I think anytime a QB comes back from blowing an ACL and he STILL is dominant the next year...that speaks volumes to me. To battle through adversity and to actually continue the same performance as before, it means he is tough as nails and always finds ways to succeed. The great QBs are not just talented, they are mentally and emotionally tough...and I think Keenum has the potential to be a good QB.

To be fair, nobody here thought all that much of Zabransky from Boise State when he was on our roster. You had a sense that he was genuinely a system QB on a team that did a lot of gimmickry types of plays, as well. It seems different with Keenum. He looks more like a traditional QB than "just a system QB" and I think the fact that he's from UH is just a coincidence.
Old 05-04-2012   #195
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Well, to be fair...anything can happen. Nobody here thought we'd be watching TJ Yates play a single snap in the 2011 season. Let alone in a playoff game.

I think anytime a QB comes back from blowing an ACL and he STILL is dominant the next year...that speaks volumes to me. To battle through adversity and to actually continue the same performance as before, it means he is tough as nails and always finds ways to succeed. The great QBs are not just talented, they are mentally and emotionally tough...and I think Keenum has the potential to be a good QB.

To be fair, nobody here thought all that much of Zabransky from Boise State when he was on our roster. You had a sense that he was genuinely a system QB on a team that did a lot of gimmickry types of plays, as well. It seems different with Keenum. He looks more like a traditional QB than "just a system QB" and I think the fact that he's from UH is just a coincidence.

Yeah anything can happen, I could win powerball but its not likely. Like I said I hope it turns out to be a lottery ticket but some people here are acting like this kid is a first round pick
Old 05-04-2012   #196
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
Don't forget Kevin Kolb. Hate to say it, but he just hasn't lived up to expectations.
Personally, I think the jury is still out on Kolb. He had a flash, then he was put into some "iffy" situations if you ask me.

I still think he'll put together a decent NFL career.
Old 05-04-2012   #197
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yeah anything can happen, I could win powerball but its not likely. Like I said I hope it turns out to be a lottery ticket but some people here are acting like this kid is a first round pick
It's just part of the game.

Kurt Warner and Tom Brady are living proof that late-round guys, or even UDFAs, can succeed in the NFL. If teams had it to do over again, they would love to have one of those guys in the first round.

Plus, QBs drift in and out of luck all the time. Where they land, and what time they land there, has a lot to do with it. Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer, Kurt Warner, those are guys who struck gold by being in the right place at the right time.

Stars aligned in such a way that TJ Yates was a few plays away from being in the AFC Championship game last year. Anything can happen. The upside to Case Keenum is that he wasn't chosen in a top round of the draft...he has no pressure to make a team a winner, he just has to soak up the playbook and learn in a setting that I think benefits him and his skill set.

We wasted a lot of time with Matt Leinart, IMO. He used up the QB2 reps when Yates should have been in the mix...instead, Yates is running scout team (the OTHER team's playbook/system) and I actually hope Kubiak bumps Keenum up to QB2 during OTAs and camp. Learn from least year's problems.
Old 05-04-2012   #198
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 63721 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
It's just part of the game.

Kurt Warner and Tom Brady are living proof that late-round guys, or even UDFAs, can succeed in the NFL. If teams had it to do over again, they would love to have one of those guys in the first round.

Plus, QBs drift in and out of luck all the time. Where they land, and what time they land there, has a lot to do with it. Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer, Kurt Warner, those are guys who struck gold by being in the right place at the right time.

Stars aligned in such a way that TJ Yates was a few plays away from being in the AFC Championship game last year. Anything can happen. The upside to Case Keenum is that he wasn't chosen in a top round of the draft...he has no pressure to make a team a winner, he just has to soak up the playbook and learn in a setting that I think benefits him and his skill set.

We wasted a lot of time with Matt Leinart, IMO. He used up the QB2 reps when Yates should have been in the mix...instead, Yates is running scout team (the OTHER team's playbook/system) and I actually hope Kubiak bumps Keenum up to QB2 during OTAs and camp. Learn from least year's problems.
And do what with Yates?
NitroGSXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012   #199
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 82342 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroGSXR View Post
And do what with Yates?
Gary is on record stating that he'll keep Matt outta harm's way during camp, that he'll be doing individual drills but not getting in harm's way. Thus TJ will essentially be #1 in camp.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012   #200
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroGSXR View Post
And do what with Yates?
Oh I forgot. Matt Schaub is "on track" and will be QB1.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read