Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Former University of Houston QB Case Keenum agrees to a contract with the Texans

Heath Shuler

SPEED KILLS
Mark Berman ‏ @MarkBermanFox26

Former University of Houston QB Case Keenum agrees to a contract with the Texans

He'll never get to play.

Yates is light years ahead of him.

He'll eventually get waived or sign with someone else next season if that.

He'll never get to play.

if our 3rd team QB has to play we are in trouble.

I hope the 2nd teamer only plays in mop up duty, when we are up by 30 points

Kid was a gutsy winner, he'll find a way to stick..

(and McNair just got about 32K new fans..)

Prolly need to put VY on suicide alert now, though..

TJ

I wanted us to sign Kellen Moore, but I'm happy with Case Keenum too. Honestly though, I don't think he'll stick around. I've been reading up scout reports and it seems as though his lack of arm strength really affects his accuracy.

For the love of God people, Keenum threw the ball with more velocity than T.J. Yates.

Quit regurgitating nonsense about arm strength..

TJ

I'm intrigued by this pick-up. I hope Kubes can do something with him. I don't pay too much attention to college players to know enough about Keenun other than what I've occasionally heard on the radio. How do you guys think he will compare to Kolb in the NFL?

I wanted us to sign Kellen Moore, but I'm happy with Case Keenum too. Honestly though, I don't think he'll stick around. I've been reading up scout reports and it seems as though his lack of arm strength really affects his accuracy.

NFL height = no.
NFL arm = no

Happy to have the hometown kid in camp just for the fun of it, but the odds of watching him taking any regular season NFL snaps are extremely low.

Good pick up...

But it's a far cry from being number 1 overall to being undrafted....

Just messing wit ya 76...

But seriously...I like this pick up a lot...

He's more accurate than Yates.

Guy has one bad combine and all of a sudden the QB with
every important record in NCAA history is a flop.

He came from an offensive system that doesn't throw those
kinds of patterns.

Let him get some time working it with a receiver and you'll
see the difference.

TJ

Yes, arm strength is overrated. But when it affects his accuracy, there's a problem.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2012-02-26/case-keenum-disappoints-in-throwing-drills

For the love of God people, Keenum threw the ball with more velocity than T.J. Yates.

Quit regurgitating nonsense about arm strength..

TJ

Undersized, lacks arm strength, system QB..... Drew Brees had all of that said about him too.

There is no tangible impediment to Keenum making it in the NFL. All that stuff that gets regurgitated is just the standard parroted bull**** that people read and repeat. It just takes one writer or blogger to start it.

It's really all about whether or not he's got it upstairs and if he's that kind of competitor. If he's got what it takes to do it mentally then he has the tools to make it happen. If he doesn't then he could be David Carr for all that it mattered.

He'll get a chance and I hope he can capitalize on it.

Keenum has more arm strength than Moore, is a better athlete, is a better QB. Moore was outstanding at Boise, but he's not a pro QB. Keenum I think can make it as a backup, due to his underrated athletic ability and moxie.

A pre-draft interview with Keenum where he answers a question about becoming a Texan.

What would it be like to be drafted by the Houston Texans? ‘‘I wouldn’t mind it all. Just moving from Scott Street down to Kirby Street. It’s a deal where I’ve met with Coach (Gary) Kubiak and the quarterbacks coach and offensive coordinator. I’ve gotten to know them quite well. I love that entire organization.”

VIDEO: Case Keenum's 80 Yard Bomb To Patrick Edwards
Jan 02 1:14p by Jonathan Tjarks

Despite a record-setting career at Houston, NFL scouts have been leery of Cougars QB Case Keenum.

There have been questions about his level of competition, his arm strength as well as his ability to make plays in the pocket.

He showed the ability to do all three in this 80-yard bomb to Patrick Edwards at the end of the first half of the 2012 TicketCity Bowl against a top-ranked Penn State defense
:

I'll take game-time performance over drills anytime.

Undersized, lacks arm strength, system QB..... Drew Brees had all of that said about him too.

The NFL had 31 teams when Brees was drafted 32nd overall. That means, by today's standards, he would have been a 1st round draft pick.

What you say about Brees is correct, but to compare Keenum to Brees is a real stretch.

Again, I'm happy to have the hometown kid in the fold, but we probably shouldn't expect a Drew Brees kind of story from him.

Just sayin....

This, I think Kellen Moore has a higher ceiling than Keenum, even though Keenum when to UH..

if our 3rd team QB has to play we are in trouble.

I hope the 2nd teamer only plays in mop up duty, when we are up by 30 points

Isn't that what we said last year?

I'm somewhat surprised they didn't draft a QB in the later rounds, but I'm glad we got Keenum signed and I hope he sticks!

Anyone who says he lacks arm strength or accuracy hasn't watched him play very often. He's a playmaker and that is something you can't teach. Go back and watch this past year's games of UH vs UCLA and Penn St. Keenum completely dismantled the "mighty" Big 10 defense of Penn St.

Kellen Moore doesn't have the athletic ability that Keenum has.

This makes me happy. I hope he does well.

Me too.

There is no tangible impediment to Keenum making it in the NFL. All that stuff that gets regurgitated is just the standard parroted bull**** that people read and repeat. It just takes one writer or blogger to start it.

It's really all about whether or not he's got it upstairs and if he's that kind of competitor. If he's got what it takes to do it mentally then he has the tools to make it happen. If he doesn't then he could be David Carr for all that it mattered.

He'll get a chance and I hope he can capitalize on it.

Well said Herv.

He'll never get to play.

Personally, I'm hoping he doesn't have to be rushed in like Colt McCoy and that he gets to develop on the practice squad.

Undrafted...best wishes to him. Time to fight the good fight. He'll be a good arena league guy.

Wow.... I'm just happy for the kid because he's from Houston. I don't live in Houston, but I'd root & support anyone from Houston to "do something." If your name (any of you who live in/come from Houston) ever got mentioned for doing something, or an opportunity to do something, I'd be rooting for you. That's just the way I roll.

This kid is an UDFA, meaning we didn't give up anything of any value to pick him up. We've got our starter, we've got our back-up, now we've got someone to run the scout team.

It's totally up to him if he's going to take his career farther.

The NFL had 31 teams when Brees was drafted 32nd overall. That means, by today's standards, he would have been a 1st round draft pick.

What you say about Brees is correct, but to compare Keenum to Brees is a real stretch.

Again, I'm happy to have the hometown kid in the fold, but we probably shouldn't expect a Drew Brees kind of story from him.

Just sayin....

What I'm saying is that there has been not a single "measurable" presented that would prevent him from succeeding in the NFL. These are the same knocks that everyone who doesn't fit the physical mold is hit with. At the same time players who don't fit the ideal have made it and been successful. Brees was simply an easy example who happens to be playing right now and who came to mind.

What will reallydetermine whether or not Keenum can play will be his own ability to grasp the game at this level and his competitive intensity.

Like I said, he'll get a chance. If he can play at this level there will be a place for him in the league. It's not like he's 5'4" or entirely devoid of arm strength.

A chance is more than many ever get. I hope he makes the most of it.

Hey, I love getting the guy, but that pass traveled max 42 yards in the air (23 to 35). It didn't really show off his arm strength.
I see pages of screen captures by 76Texan in this thread's future.

Kid was a gutsy winner, he'll find a way to stick..

(and McNair just got about 32K new fans.

Prolly need to put VY on suicide alert now, though..

TJ

Good! Maybe we could get VY and JJ to commit suicide together.

That pass went about 45 yards in the air. Not sure how that proves anything.

Show me a play where Shaub throws over 45 yards... I'll wait. WCO doesn't need some spread guy that can air it out 75 yards. We couldn't even use that. What WR do we even have with that kind of speedster ability?

Yall really need to quit regurgitating everything you read off of draft boards. Has never had a season less than 65% completion rate and his last two FULL seasons were both over 70%. Throws his receivers open, has football IQ, and will make it in the NFL.

Personally, I'm hoping he doesn't have to be rushed in like Colt McCoy and that he gets to develop on the practice squad.

This is what I want. I hope we keep him on the practice squad for a year give him a shot to be #3 for real next season. More than that though I hope he merits that.

Good! Maybe we could get VY and JJ to commit suicide together.

Suicide pact. Vince throws a ball that hits a target.... wait, no that isn't gonna work. JJ catches a...... no, that's just as bad.

They're gonna need a really simple suicide machine.

Back