Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-29-2012   #161
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 94067 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Un-Drafted Free Agents

Mario Louis is an interesting story.... might be too small for our system, definitely need to be a PS guy so he can learn to play football.

Mario Louis is a rare situation of game trumping all. He started his college career as a basic student hoping to walk-on to the basketball team but after a year of intramural football, he was convinced to try out for the football team.

Having zero background in football, Mario took a couple of years to adapt to the game but once Doug Williams arrived and called his team out, asking for somebody to step up, Mario came out of his shell to score 18 touchdowns.

Louis is a very explosive player that can take any play the distance and does a great job of high pointing passes, winning his one on one battles.

Louis isn’t overly big and the level of competition he was facing is going to be a question mark during the scouting process but his consistent production is clear.

He has playmaker written all over him but he’ll need a receivers coach that is ready to polish him up on the finer points. A developmental prospect that could be a perfect complimentary player and weapon out of the slot.

School: Grambling State
Position: WR
Hometown: New Orleans, LA
Height: 6000
Weight: 195
Bench Press: 18
Vertical Jump: 36
40 T: 4.56
Projection: 6th/7th Round
Old 04-29-2012   #162
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 94067 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Ford was told he could be a great WCO FB. Maybe he is competition for Casey.
Old 04-29-2012   #163
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

I saw Menkins ranked as the 13th best small school OT. I guess we can't expect too much from him then.
Old 04-29-2012   #164
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Shawn Loiseau, LB, Merrimack, here is our ILB prospect, intense guy, descibed as a Brian Cushing type below.

Positives -- A dominating presence at the linebacker position; flies from sideline to sideline with impressive game speed... Diagnoses plays quickly and has a good first step to react... A punishing tackler that can jar the ball loose with a well placed hit... Plays well against the run and pass, possesses above average ability to penetrate into the backfield... Has the versatility to play middle linebacker in either a 4-3 or 3-4 defense... The true definition of a gym rat; will spend countless hours working to improve his game... Most likely a late round selection but will deliver steady special teams production and serve as a worthy developmental linebacker... Plays with the high motor coaches love, does not quit until the whistle is blown... Is a Brian Cushing type player, high motor and high impact player that a defense can rally around.

Negatives -- At just 6 ft., size will be a concern for some teams... Played Division II college football which produces very few NFL caliber talents... More concerning than the Division II may be the reason he was overlooked by Division I teams; had an off the field incident his junior year in high school where a boy ended up in a coma and Loiseau was charged with assault... Is a raw player that will need to time to develop the finesse required in the NFL... Playing in Division II makes him much more of a projection at this point as no one is quite sure how he will fare against bigger and faster players... Does not appear to have much in the way of coverage skills, may end up only being a two down player.
Old 04-29-2012   #165
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Didn't read much to impress me about Jerrell Jackson. Seems small and slow, not a good route runner. Can't see him getting out of camp or onto the PS.
Old 04-29-2012   #166
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Desmond Marrow, is another Texans size/speed project. 6-3 205, runs a 4.4.

Raw CB that might get a shot at S.

Worth rolling the dice on.
Old 04-29-2012   #167
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Case Keenum, some QB from some school.

Someone on here might know something about him....

If 76texan is on the money with this guy we have a HUGE bargain on our hands.
Old 04-29-2012   #168
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Sorry for clogging up the thread with my musings and scraps of info but I knew nothing about these guys mostly and thought that I might shed a tiny scrap of light for some who don't have a couple of hours practicing there google-fu.
Old 04-29-2012   #169
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

I am just happy that we sign Case. At least, Case get a chance to show his talent at next level.
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012   #170
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Case Keenum, QB Houston
Desmond Marrow, FS, Toledo
Jerrell Jackson, WR, Missouri
Shawn Loiseau, LB, Merrimack
Nate Menkin OT Mary Hardin-Baylor
Jason Ford, RB(FB) Illinois
Mario Louis WR, Grambling State
DJ Bryant, DE, James Madison
Logan Brock, TE, TCU
Jonathan Grimes, RB, William & Mary
Davin Meggett, RB, Maryland -- yep, Dave Meggett's son (bloodlines!)
Cody White, OT, Illinois St
Delano Johnson, LB, Bowie State
Hebron "Loni" Fangupo, DT BYU
David Hunter, DT, Houston
Dwight Jones, WR, North Carolina
This is awesome, I love these signings! My musings-

Keenum- Typical camp body type pickup. Could make for a solid number 3 QB, but (like others) I worry about size and arm strength.

Marrow- Another older guy (25, Keenum is up there too), Marrow is a large CB to FS project. I doubt he makes the team, but he is an interesting piece of clay.

Jackson- I dont know much about this guy, so no write up.
I watched Missouri a couple times, I guess he never caught my eye.

Loiseau- I love it! Mean SOB with underrated athleticism, I think he pushes for a roster spot due to ST ability. Who guys will love him too, Braman-esque attitude on the field.

Menkin- Dont know a lot about the guy, but good measurables. There is a highlight clip online, and while he played OT in college, he is definitely an OG prospect at the next level. Even at UMHB he struggled against speed off the edge.

Ford- Interesting pick up, but I dont see a lot of long term potential there. Camp body.

Loius- I dont know much about him, I really wish I had paid more attention to small school guys like I used to. He was getting a lot of buzz pre-draft.

Bryant- Again, dont know a lot about this guy. Prototypical DE to OLB conversion. Looks the part of an NFL OLB.

Brock- Wow, seems to be a theme, as I dont really know the guy. Good athleticism, but on the small side at only 244 lbs. Camp body.

Grimes- I like this a lot, very impressive on the field and off of it. He has the size, athleticism and the tape to make me very excited about him being in camp. I think he fits the system well (one-cut guy) and pushes for the roster.

Meggett- And this is the guy that Grimes will be competing against for the roster. Meggett has all the physical ability in the world, he just never really showed it consistently at Maryland. At the moment I rate Meggett a bit above Grimes, so he makes the roster while Grimes goes to the PS. I really like both players though.

White- I dont know a thing, looks like an OG prospect that can move.

Johnson- Another pick up I love, this guy is the opposite of some of these pickups, as he looks great on the field, but was marginal in workouts (4.91 40, 18 bench reps). However at 6'5" 265 lbs, he clearly has the frame to be an NFL player, and on the field looks like a man against boys. I dont think he has a chance for the roster, but he should be a lock for the PS so we can see what some NFL training can do for him.

Fangupo- Hell yes. A big bodied NT prospect who was quite popular on the boards, Fangupo has the ability to make the roster as a short yardage NT. Already 26 (I believe), his age worked against him in the draft, as there is no way he was not considered to be a late round talent.

Hunter- Never stood out to me, but then again I did not watch more than 3 Houston games. Looks like a camp body, but I know one of you UH guys will let the board know his pluses and minuses.

Jones- Another guy who was quite popular here on the boards, Jones comes in with instant chemistry with TJ Yates. A big receiver, could push for the roster.

It is going to be a very interesting camp!

EDIT- Just saw on NEPatriotsDraft that Eddie Pleasant, SS, Oregon and Tracy Robertson, DT, Baylor.

Pleasant- Big SS who looks good in coverage. I just dont see him on the roster though.

Robertson- At 6'4" 285, he probably is being looked at as a DE. I dont know much about him.

Last edited by rmartin65; 04-29-2012 at 08:07 AM.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012   #171
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 216190 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
Found next to nothing on Cody White, OT. Anyone surprised he came out of HS as a TE........
ISU grad White signs with NFL’s Texans

Quote:
Cody White (no. 56) started in 43 of a possible 44 games in four seasons at Illinois State. (Photo courtesy GoRedbirds.com)

NORMAL – Former Illinois State offensive tackle Cody White accepted a free-agent contract to play for the Houston Texans on Saturday, shortly following the NFL Draft.

The 23-year-old White, a Normal West graduate and four-year letterwinner for the Redbirds, moved to the offensive line prior to the 2010 season after playing his first two seasons at tight end.

In his junior season, he played in all 11 games at various positions on the line and helped bolster a unit that posted 4,279 yards on the season, the eighth-best single season mark in school history.

White earned the starting spot at left tackle heading into his senior season of 2011 and was tasked with protecting quarterback Matt Brown’s blind side. He started all 11 games and earned All-Missouri Valley Football Conference Honorable Mention honors as part of an all-senior offensive line for the Redbirds. ISU rushed for 183.4 yards per game in 2011, up from an average of just 131 yards the previous season, and the offensive line unit allowed just six sacks all season which ranked No. 3 in the Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) national rankings.

Illinois State head coach Brock Spack believes White could have a bright future in the NFL.

“We are all very proud of Cody and wish him the best of luck with the Texans,” Spack said. “Cody has worked very hard to become the player he is today and I think this is a great opportunity for him. His toughness and work ethic will take him a long way in the NFL and I have no doubt that he will have a great shot to make roster as a guard or possibly center.”

White played in 43 of a possible 44 games in his career and helped the Redbirds to three-straight winning seasons from 2009-11, marking the first time ISU had achieved that feat since 1998-2000.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012   #172
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonerATO View Post
That can't be a real name.
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...=2012&genpos=K
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012   #173
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 216190 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCTexan View Post
Thank you so much for the information! What are the chances he doesn't recover?
Probably less than 10%
Old 04-29-2012   #174
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 307979 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Case Keenum, QB Houston
Logan Brock, TE, TCU
Philip Supernaw, TE, Ouachita Baptist
Tracy Robertson, DT, Baylor
Eddie Pleasant, S, Oregon
Greg Williams, LB, Pitt
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012   #175
Lucky

Rep Power: 169923 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kerns View Post
TJ Yates twitter good enough?
Yates recommendation probably got Jones a shot here. In a disastrous offseason, Jones went from likely 2nd day pick, to undrafted.

Quote:
According to NFL Network's Mike Mayock, position coaches at the Combine "jumped all over" North Carolina WR Dwight Jones in on-field drills for disobeying instructions and a lack of hustle.

Jones apparently ran a bad route at one point in drills and didn't hustle to the other area of the field, where the quarterback placed his pass. Russ Lande of Sporting News also noted that Jones had similar problems at the Senior Bowl, specifically in terms of effort. Though long on potential at 6-foot-3, 230 pounds with 34-inch arms and mid-4.5s speed, Jones has now been flagged as a character risk in an incredibly deep receiver class.
Jones was also banned from UNC's pro day for promoting a New Years party at a club. He's got talent. But he doesn't seem serious about becoming a pro.
Old 04-29-2012   #176
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post

Jones was also banned from UNC's pro day for promoting a New Years party at a club.
But maybe he's got potential as Secret-Service Social Director ?
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012   #177
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Yates recommendation probably got Jones a shot here. In a disastrous offseason, Jones went from likely 2nd day pick, to undrafted.

Jones was also banned from UNC's pro day for promoting a New Years party at a club. He's got talent. But he doesn't seem serious about becoming a pro.
How was he not shown the OTHER side of the Texans' door?
Old 04-29-2012   #178
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 307979 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
How was he not shown the OTHER side of the Texans' door?
Surprising the Texans are showing some evidence of loosening their strict policy of bringing in "clean" character this year with the likes of Posey & Jones. Probably a good thing in the long run.

But if Jones hasn't seen the light and fixed his attitude he'll be out of here likety-split. Maybe going undrafted/unwanted was a wake-up call?
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012   #179
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 63721 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Davin Meggett can take a cheap shot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_gOKAZwDVg

Davin really came to play some hard knocks football. I like this guy. He's a bruiser who moves forward.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=043vh...eature=related

Sorry to hear Dave Meggett turned out to be such a POS. "Going to take a down payment now"? Holy moley! I'll never think of him the same again.
NitroGSXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012   #180
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Case Keenum, QB Houston
Logan Brock, TE, TCU
Philip Supernaw, TE, Ouachita Baptist
Tracy Robertson, DT, Baylor
Eddie Pleasant, S, Oregon
Greg Williams, LB, Pitt
this is like Christmas morning, wake up & look what Rick Smith put under Texan fans tree, a whole list of some serious talent trying to make this team better. Hebron Fangupo is a very interesting NT prospect. Eddie Pleasent was a draftable safety & a whole host of RB talent. Love it!

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read