Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-29-2012   #201
Lucky

Rep Power: 160417 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Un-Drafted Free Agents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
I think we all know 99% of these guys aren't going to make it...
You're just a nattering nabob of negativism. Emblematic of the pessimism that has enveloped Postmodern America.
Old 04-29-2012   #202
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253531 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
I think we all know 99% of these guys aren't going to make it, and there's a reason why. The one with the best chance of actually still being employeed by the Texans is Kennum the QB. For no other reason than he's a QB.

We've been through enough of these drafts and free agents hopefuls to know that come that first live real game, most of these guys will not be wearing an NFL uniform.
Branam, Foster, Brisiel, Jamison, Bulman...

Most aren't going to make it but one or two might. We've had some success with these UDFA types and at this point of the season, it's all about the hope.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012   #203
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

I wonder if Loiseau could play fullback. I mean if he's just really good at hitting people....
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012   #204
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post

Most aren't going to make it but one or two might. We've had some success with these UDFA types and at this point of the season, it's all about the hope.
The roster size and the salary cap dictate that a team has to have success finding at least special teams level contributors through UDFAs. Most superbowl winners a significant starter or two that were UDFAs. See Gaints Victor Cruz.

Biggest thing is for us as fans not lock onto Jones or Keenum because we know the name. chances are the the couple who make it a few years from now are not ones we already "know."
Old 04-29-2012   #205
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post

The roster size and the salary cap dictate that a team has to have success finding at least special teams level contributors through UDFAs. Most superbowl winners a significant starter or two that were UDFAs. See Gaints Victor Cruz.

Biggest thing is for us as fans not lock onto Jones or Keenum because we know the name. chances are the the couple who make it a few years from now are not ones we already "know."
Old 04-29-2012   #206
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78862 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Has anyone got any more info on Jonathan Grimes, the RB from William & Mary? With all the accolades he's received, I can't believe he didn't get drafted. Has anyone seen a scouting report on him?

Edit: Well, I knew if I looked hard enough ......

Link

Quote:
Biography: Four-year starter awarded varying degrees of all-conference an All-American honors since his freshman season. Senior totals included 288 tenths/1431 yards/10 TDs on the ground with 23 receptions/262 yards/4 TDs. Also averaged 22.1 yards on 37 kick returns. Junior rushing totals included 207/887/8, when he was also named CAA Special Teams Player of the Year, averaging 24.9 yards on 12 kick returns.

Positives: Ultra-productive small school skill player who positively affects the game in a variety of ways. Instinctive ballcarrier who displays terrific running vision, effectively uses his blocks and runs low to the ground. Makes several defenders miss at the line of scrimmage and in the open field, keeps plays in bounds and works hard to pick up as much yardage as possible. Keeps his feet moving up the field. Deceptively strong and breaks form tackles or falls forward when tackled to pick up the extra yards. Solid receiver out of the backfield. Effectively picks up blocking assignments, squaring into defenders and keeping them from the action.

Negatives: Lacks the speed and agility to turn the corner. Not a fluid cutback runner and loses momentum when he must immediately change direction.

Analysis: Grimes lacks classic size/speed numbers for the next level yet has been productive in several areas since his freshman campaign. He gets the most from his ability and has the potential to make a roster as a situational ballcarrier and special teams ace.

Projection: FA
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012   #207
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 213938 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Surprising the Texans are showing some evidence of loosening their strict policy of bringing in "clean" character this year with the likes of Posey & Jones. Probably a good thing in the long run.

But if Jones hasn't seen the light and fixed his attitude he'll be out of here likety-split. Maybe going undrafted/unwanted was a wake-up call?
The Texans have shown guys the door before who came in with an "I'm entitled" attitude. I recall Darius Walker had to get cut before he woke up. And even Arian Foster had a bit of a 'tude when he first arrived. He and Walker were a bit butt-hurt (Walker much more so than Foster) because they went undrafted. Both learned that their spot on the team is NOT a given like it had been in high school and college. Both turned it around by being in the Kubiak doghouse and turned themselves around.

There are always a few knuckleheads in every draft class who just need to frickin' grow up and understand that playtime is OVER. Time to go to work.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-29-2012   #208
panamamyers
Veteran

Rep Power: 1738 panamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respected

Youtube has some stuff on Grimes. He reminds me of Shaud Williams, formerly of Alabama and the Bills. He has some shiftiness to him, but just slow.
Old 04-29-2012   #209
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 213938 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
You're just a nattering nabob of negativism. Emblematic of the pessimism that has enveloped Postmodern America.
good one....
and just how long have you been waiting to unleash that little phrase?
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012   #210
panamamyers
Veteran

Rep Power: 1738 panamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respected

DJ Bryant and Delano Johnson should both bring some competition to Braman, and I would bet that it is just as likely that either of those two make the squad as Braman.

Ford probably has a good shot at fullback.

Dwight Jones should have a good shot at making the squad at receiver. Assuming you have Andrew and Walter, you gotta find two or three more in there. Between Posey, Martin, Lestar Jean and Jones...Jones might have a chance.

Loiseau has a decent shot. There is an opportunity there to beat out Alexander or Dobbins.

I think one of those safeties has a decent shot if all he has to beat out is Keo.

I also think the tight end Supernaw might have a shot, depending on the fullback situation.
Old 04-29-2012   #211
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
I hope so, because I think you are spot on. Behind OD we have GG, who has not shown anything at the NFL level. Thor is a difference maker, and him and OD together could be awesome.

That said, I just remembered that Zac Pauga from Colorado State was on the PS last year, and he was impressive if my memory serves. Maybe they think he is the thumper at FB for the year?
I like Casey as a 2nd string fb and TE. Love the mismatches at fb. Just not an every down fb.
Old 04-29-2012   #212
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

I am putting a TT UDFA game thread up pretty soon once I work out the details. Basically, pick 5 of the UDFAs signed by the Texans that you think will make the roster. You get points from each guy you guess correctly. I have tried to kick this kind of thing off before, but it just never took off. Maybe this year it will, maybe not.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012   #213
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Fangupo has the best chance to make the roster.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012   #214
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202148 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Houston Texans Sign Eddie Pleasant

Quote:
Eddie Pleasant was among the many undrafted Oregon Ducks after the 2012 NFL Draft. The only Oregon Ducks to be drafted in the 2012 NFL Draft were LaMichael James, Mark Asper, Josh Kaddu, and David Paulson. Even though his name was not called on draft day, Eddie Pleasant will be playing in the NFL with the Houston Texans. I will break down how Eddie Pleasant will fit in with the Houston Texans and how I feel about this signing.

While at Oregon, Eddie Pleasant was a very consistent and durable starter. One of his biggest strengths is his ability to tackle. Pleasant is a very reliable tackler and can be use as a last resort to take a guy down in space. Pleasant is a very solid hitter on the football field. He brings good size to the back of the defense and can produce as a run supporter on defense or a special teams player.

The biggest thing that Pleasant will need to work on in the NFL is his ability to defend the pass. He struggled often with defending the pass during his time with the Oregon Ducks. Despite being a liability in the pass coverage game, Eddie Pleasant is better in the zone defense than the man-to-man defense. This is because Pleasant can use his reliable tackling better in the zone defense.

Overall, I see Eddie Pleasant being a special teams player with the Houston Texans. Going into the 2012 NFL Draft, the Houston Texans needed a corner back, but not a safety. Because of this, I believe the only reason the Houston Texans signed Eddie Pleasant was to help out on special teams. Pleasant’s reliable tackling and his productivity can lead to success on special teams in the NFL. This is a very good signing if Pleasant is mainly used on special teams.

EDIT: Funny, on the Ducks site, he is listed as a "Rover." link
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012   #215
Lucky

Rep Power: 160417 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
EDIT: Funny, on the Ducks site, he is listed as a "Rover." link
Rover is a college and high school term for an in the box safety. A guy who can be used as an extra linebacker, or dropped back into coverage.
Old 04-29-2012   #216
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90711 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
I wonder if Loiseau could play fullback. I mean if he's just really good at hitting people....
We've done it before haven't we. Guy got practice squaded.

Someone will know who it is, that puts this idea in the not too crazy department. The one thing you want from a run blocking FB is the desire to hit someone.
Old 04-29-2012   #217
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
We've done it before haven't we. Guy got practice squaded.

Someone will know who it is, that puts this idea in the not too crazy department. The one thing you want from a run blocking FB is the desire to hit someone.
Jon Abbate- http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...r=2007&genpos=
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012   #218
4Texans
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46 4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Texans View Post
DT Nicolas Jean-Baptiste - 6'-1" - 330lbs. - Baylor
DT Ishmaa'ily Kitchen - 6'-1" - 334lbs - Kent State

We need some weight at the Nose.
Both of them were signed by the Ravens!!!
Old 04-29-2012   #219
Giant Tiger
Hall of Fame

Location: Smiths Falls, Heart of the Rideau Canal-UNESCO World Heritage Site
Rep Power: 9888 Giant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respected
Post Re: Un-Drafted Free Agents

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
Loiseau means "the bird" in French... just saying
Old 04-29-2012   #220
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Tiger View Post
Loiseau means "the bird" in French... just saying
David Loiseau is an MMA fighter. He had the nickname "The Crow" so it's cool to see you bring this up.

Loiseau, IMO, will be Wade's 2012 version of Bryan Braman. The reckless LB who will summon the beasts of hell to run with him as he tracks down those who have a debt to be paid.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read