Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-29-2012   #81
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
That's crazy. Mario just became the highest paid defensive player in the league. Antonio Smith won't be getting offers like that, not even from the most desperate teams.

I like Jj Watt as well, but if it weren't for his health concerns, I'd take Mario over Jj Watt in a heartbeat.
I really like Mario as a football player, but I think at best watt and Mario are equals, at worse watt is much, much better.

Honestly, I'm leaning towards watt being the better player.

Haynesworth was given crazy money, do was Kevin Winslow. Doesn't mean they were the best their respective positions. Just because one team decided to give a guy crazy money it doesn't really mean that money matches their worth.

I wish we could have kept Mario, but not for that money.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012   #82
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 67576 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 4th Round, Jared Crick, DE, Nebraska

2 minutes into to it Kollar talks a bit
Texans Daily: Final Day review (3:25)
Check out what the Texans' position coaches thought about the Saturday picks in the 2012 Draft
http://www.houstontexans.com/tv-medi...4-da820c0b3e80
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012   #83
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50776 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I like Jj Watt as well, but if it weren't for his health concerns, I'd take Mario over Jj Watt in a heartbeat.
I needed a good laugh today. Thx.
Old 04-30-2012   #84
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 88339 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I am going to look at Crick's 2011 season off as a positive thing for Texans as less stress/blows to the body. The tear should heal and hopefully he wil be fine.
Old 04-30-2012   #85
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23128 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

He's antnio smith replacement after the season. 8m for smith in a flat cap era is too much. They will work him in this yr and then cut smith at seasons end.
Old 04-30-2012   #86
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7237 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
All the guys I mentioned were at one time or another attributed with a "high-motor"
If you can find me a single quote from a reasonably reputable source (as opposed to some obscure blog) that points to Travis Johnson as a high-motor guy I will be utterly floored. That guy was considered a risky pick from day one because he was a lazy-assed player at Florida State and -- surprise surprise -- he became a lazy-assed professional.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012   #87
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7394 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
He's antnio smith replacement after the season. 8m for smith in a flat cap era is too much. They will work him in this yr and then cut smith at seasons end.
Says the guy that wanted him cut last season. Smith will more likely be extended before cut, dude can seriously play, really have no idea what you have had against him these last few years. I'll keep a mental note of your guess and give you credit if it happens. I highly doubt it though.
Old 04-30-2012   #88
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7394 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
2 minutes into to it Kollar talks a bit
Texans Daily: Final Day review (3:25)
Check out what the Texans' position coaches thought about the Saturday picks in the 2012 Draft
http://www.houstontexans.com/tv-medi...4-da820c0b3e80
Gotta love that whoever was inserting the images of the players into that video picked one of Crick nailing Blaine Gabbert. He will have to get in line behind Barwin and JJ if he wants another piece. Might not be much Blaine left by then.
Old 05-01-2012   #89
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 54416 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Love the pick but this thread is too much. If Crick becomes a contributing player on the DLine then this pick is a homerun, but this doesn't spell doom for any current starter, yet.
Old 05-01-2012   #90
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 53272 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Love the pick but this thread is too much. If Crick becomes a contributing player on the DLine then this pick is a homerun, but this doesn't spell doom for any current starter, yet.
It is the post-draft rush. Every year we over-value our drafted players and UDFAs.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012   #91
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 147190 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
For what its worth .... Beerlover had him going to us in the first round.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012   #92
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
For what its worth .... Beerlover had him going to us in the first round.
I expected to get more attention with it. Just got fed up with the whole process (never imagined Mercilus dropping lower than #19) couldn't choose a WR @ #26, not a big fan of Nick Perry, didn't really want to draft a TE in 1st so went with JJ Watt II. Getting him on this team is almost as good. Texans now have a pair of young bookend DE's. But just to be fair never said first round, just said first pick & expected Texans to trade down, maybe more than once? As this draft demonstrated there was excellent value with starting caliber prospects through the 4th rd.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012   #93
speedfreek
All Pro

Rep Power: 15013 speedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respected

Here's hoping that, when we play Denver, Manning gets a Crick in his neck!

TJ
speedfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012   #94
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 147190 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
I expected to get more attention with it. Just got fed up with the whole process (never imagined Mercilus dropping lower than #19) couldn't choose a WR @ #26, not a big fan of Nick Perry, didn't really want to draft a TE in 1st so went with JJ Watt II. Getting him on this team is almost as good. Texans now have a pair of young bookend DE's. But just to be fair never said first round, just said first pick & expected Texans to trade down, maybe more than once? As this draft demonstrated there was excellent value with starting caliber prospects through the 4th rd.
He fell a long way .... I didnt even realize he was still there when the "who to take in the 4th" thread was started .... until several listed him , I had to go check to make sure. Probably one of the best value picks in the entire draft.

I didnt see Mercilus getting past 20 either .... that was a shocker. Really threw off some draft boards. I figured they would end up taking Zietler in round 1.

Sure wont complain about two top tier pass rushers at those spots. Definately gives the team a solid three man rotation at both DE and OLB.
Going to be interesting to see who the top 4 DL and 2 OLB are and how they get them on the field.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012   #95
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35188 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

I suspect Crick is more of a Tim Bullman replacement than an Antonio Smith
replacement, and that's fine because it's just a 4th round pick invested here.
The thing with Crick is that he might be a liability in the running game, and that's
what could really hurt him as a long-term candidate to start and play as a 3-4 DE. Maybe those are low expectations, so hopefully I'll get a surprise ?
IDEXAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012   #96
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
He fell a long way .... I didnt even realize he was still there when the "who to take in the 4th" thread was started .... until several listed him , I had to go check to make sure. Probably one of the best value picks in the entire draft.

I didnt see Mercilus getting past 20 either .... that was a shocker. Really threw off some draft boards. I figured they would end up taking Zietler in round 1.

Sure wont complain about two top tier pass rushers at those spots. Definately gives the team a solid three man rotation at both DE and OLB.
Going to be interesting to see who the top 4 DL and 2 OLB are and how they get them on the field.
Cloak could explain his medical status better (if he had the facts) but Crick had another medical condition besides a torn pectoral muscle from my understanding. Tendinitis in his knees, not sure on severity or extent of affliction but I'm sure Texans medical staff did evaluation & risk assessment. I hope he can fully recover & return to old, dominant form. If he is 100% his game is similar to San Francisco DT Justin Smith (6-4 290) who was selected in the 1st back in 2001 4th overall. Plays hard, will not come out of lineup even when hurt, if there is such a thing as being too competitive it's him which fits this defense intensity.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012   #97
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
Honestly, I wouldn't be upset if the Texans could package Smith for a starting WR or CB...

Then have open competition for the NT and DE spots between Cody, Mitchell, Jamison, Bulman, Fangupo and Crick

Jamison gets credit here, but really, snap to performance ratio the guy has been a stud...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012   #98
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 44792 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
The thing with Crick is that he might be a liability in the running game, and that's
what could really hurt him as a long-term candidate to start and play as a 3-4 DE. Maybe those are low expectations, so hopefully I'll get a surprise ?
How do you come to the conclusion that Crick will be a liability in the run game?

He is very assignment sure and uses his hands well to get off blocks to make tackles and he is a solid tackler.

I would probably expect better from him vs the run than as a pass rusher.
Old 05-01-2012   #99
Perki-Perk
DieHard Texan!

Section: Wolfies, Table 16
Rep Power: 4782 Perki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreek View Post
Here's hoping that, when we play Denver, Manning gets a Crick in his neck!

TJ
How about a mega-Watt, Mercilus, Crick in the neck during a CrUSHING type of hit?
Old 05-01-2012   #100
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 61321 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
Considering that Crick just took Bulman's number... I'd say you were spot on.
NitroGSXR is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read